Community Discussions and Support
334 535 5.7.0 (#AUTH005) Too many bad auth attempts. - Verizon/AOL Mail

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had a very similar problem with AT&T, who, IIRC, was using Yahoo SMTP servers. This had worked okay for years, but then suddenly I was having to send and resend messages multiple times until they would actually go thru. This was a huge pain. At that time, I suspected that AT&T or Yahoo had cut back on their SMTP servers since most people were now doing webmail. That meant that I was now finding their reduced number of SMTP servers busy, and there was no chance that I was going to get AT&T/Yahoo to backtrack on their reduction.

My solution was to find an alternate SMTP server. There are places out there that offer this as a service. I looked around and found authsmtp.com. I have been using it for several years and it has worked flawlessly. I use their minimal subscription which I believe covers up to 1000 outgoing emails a month for a cost of US$32 per year. I believe I can register up to 10 sender email addresses within this plan.They want you to pay by the year, but they allow you to cancel and back out in the first month if you're not satisfied.

They also seem to take spam very seriously, so I don't think I'm supporting a spam farm.

Since my POP server is also not AT&T or Yahoo, this now means that I'm not tied to them in any way, so I'm free to change ISPs without fear of having to change email addresses or anything else. I've used this while traveling around the US, no problems. I assume it would work equally well, anywhere in the world that had good internet access.

I have no connection to authsmtp other than as a satisfied customer.

<p>Not sure if this is relevant, but I had a very similar problem with AT&T, who, IIRC, was using Yahoo SMTP servers. This had worked okay for years, but then suddenly I was having to send and resend messages multiple times until they would actually go thru. This was a huge pain. At that time, I suspected that AT&T or Yahoo had cut back on their SMTP servers since most people were now doing webmail. That meant that I was now finding their reduced number of SMTP servers busy, and there was no chance that I was going to get AT&T/Yahoo to backtrack on their reduction.</p><p>My solution was to find an alternate SMTP server. There are places out there that offer this as a service. I looked around and found authsmtp.com. I have been using it for several years and it has worked flawlessly. I use their minimal subscription which I believe covers up to 1000 outgoing emails a month for a cost of US$32 per year. I believe I can register up to 10 sender email addresses within this plan.They want you to pay by the year, but they allow you to cancel and back out in the first month if you're not satisfied. </p><p>They also seem to take spam very seriously, so I don't think I'm supporting a spam farm. </p><p>Since my POP server is also not AT&T or Yahoo, this now means that I'm not tied to them in any way, so I'm free to change ISPs without fear of having to change email addresses or anything else. I've used this while traveling around the US, no problems. I assume it would work equally well, anywhere in the world that had good internet access. </p><p>I have no connection to authsmtp other than as a satisfied customer.</p>

Good Afternoon:

Starting late yesterday afternoon... I couldn't send outgoing emails, however I can receive mail. A bit of detective work shows that the problem revolves around older 3rd party software. 

"535 5.7. 0 (#AUTH005) Too many bad auth attempts error when trying to send email. If you receive this error, most likely you are using Yahoo for the email server or an email server managed by Yahoo, such as AOL. Yahoo has implemented an option that by default, does not let 3rd party products access the email servers".

Has anyone else run across this issue recently.  If so, were you able to discover a work-around?. I have been a Pegasus user for decades and couldn't imagine moving to a newer software platform.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom to rectify this situation.

<p>Good Afternoon:</p><p>Starting late yesterday afternoon... I couldn't send outgoing emails, however I can receive mail. A bit of detective work shows that the problem revolves around older 3rd party software. </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">"535 5.7. 0 (#AUTH005) Too many bad auth attempts error when trying to send email. If you receive this error, most likely you are using Yahoo for the email server or an email server managed by Yahoo, such as AOL. Yahoo has implemented an option that by default, does not let 3rd party products access the email servers".</span></p><p>Has anyone else run across this issue recently.  If so, were you able to discover a work-around?. I have been a Pegasus user for decades and couldn't imagine moving to a newer software platform.</p><p>Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom to rectify this situation.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

AFAIK, Yahoo requires two factor authentication be enabled and a third party application password for the app the needs access.  I don't use Yahoo; this is just the sense I get from this recent discussion:  

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/50406.aspx

Note that it contains reference to Gmail  and "allow less secure applications" which no longer works for Gmail smtp server access.  Based on the content of your error I suspect Yahoo has stopped allowing smtp access with less secure apps as well.

<p>AFAIK, Yahoo requires two factor authentication be enabled and a third party application password for the app the needs access.  I don't use Yahoo; this is just the sense I get from this recent discussion:   </p><p>http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/50406.aspx</p><p>Note that it contains reference to Gmail  and "allow less secure applications" which no longer works for Gmail smtp server access.  Based on the content of your error I suspect Yahoo has stopped allowing smtp access with less secure apps as well. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft