Community Discussions and Support
Not responding messagea and other problems

For some time, I've been having assorted problems.

During various procedures, I get a Not Responding message that may or may not eventually go away, sometimes accompanied by greying out of the whole display. This happens in various situations. One example is in moving from New Mail to another folder to get the read new mail to move - this may stick on this message or simply take ages to move and, if you happen to close Pegasus before it's finished, you get the message that Preview is turned off when you start Pegasus again. Sometimes it happens when I start to select a batch of mail to mark all as read. Plus various other procedures. Sending mail also takes a long time . Any ideas?

<p>For some time, I've been having assorted problems.</p><p>During various procedures, I get a Not Responding message that may or may not eventually go away, sometimes accompanied by greying out of the whole display. This happens in various situations. One example is in moving from New Mail to another folder to get the read new mail to move - this may stick on this message or simply take ages to move and, if you happen to close Pegasus before it's finished, you get the message that Preview is turned off when you start Pegasus again. Sometimes it happens when I start to select a batch of mail to mark all as read. Plus various other procedures. Sending mail also takes a long time . Any ideas? </p>

Some environmental data could help to enclose the problem, like e.g. what OS you are using, where is you Pmail installed, locally (at c: directly or at c:\programs or otherwise) or network installation at a server. Where is your mailbox located, same folder as Pmail executables? Have you got a printer installed? is this printer the standard printer for Pmail? Is the printer permanently available or switched-off? How many mails are stored within the folder you want to move mails to? Did yo already check the folder consistency with Pmail?

When we encounter such problems, often it's connected with missing file/folder access permissions. But also an unstable network could be a reason, in case the mailbox is located at a server.

<p>Some environmental data could help to enclose the problem, like e.g. what OS you are using, where is you Pmail installed, locally (at c: directly or at c:\programs or otherwise) or network installation at a server. Where is your mailbox located, same folder as Pmail executables? Have you got a printer installed? is this printer the standard printer for Pmail? Is the printer permanently available or switched-off? How many mails are stored within the folder you want to move mails to? Did yo already check the folder consistency with Pmail? </p><p>When we encounter such problems, often it's connected with missing file/folder access permissions. But also an unstable network could be a reason, in case the mailbox is located at a server. </p>

Thanks for the reply.

OS Win 10 (64 bit)

D:/Pmail/

Mailbox D:/Pmail/Mail

Pmail excutables in D:/Pmail/Programs

Printer installed -"standard" = default? - yes, Always available - (Just out of interest, why do you ask about a printer?)

Mails in folder moving to (Main Folder) currently about 5600 . Folder consistency OK

Since I posted, it also did a Not responding message during a Search and on clicking on a hyperlink in a message

<p>Thanks for the reply.</p><p> </p><p>OS Win 10 (64 bit)</p><p>D:/Pmail/ </p><p>Mailbox D:/Pmail/Mail</p><p>Pmail excutables in D:/Pmail/Programs </p><p>Printer installed -"standard" = default? - yes, Always available - (Just out of interest, why do you ask about a printer?) </p><p>Mails in folder moving to (Main Folder) currently about 5600 . Folder consistency OK</p><p> </p><p>Since I posted, it also did a Not responding message during a Search and on clicking on a hyperlink in a message </p><p> </p>

Also check that "Load Winsock" is set to Always.  This setting is located in  Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced setting.

Be aware that "Not responding" usually does not mean that Pegasus Mail is hung, only that it is busy. 

<p>Also check that "Load Winsock" is set to Always.  This setting is located in  Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced setting.</p><p>Be aware that "Not responding" usually does not mean that Pegasus Mail is hung, only that it is busy.  </p><p> </p>

Hi Brian,

Load Winsock is on Always

It stays Not Responding for a long time -maybe several minutes sometimes. This is why it freaks out when I start it up, as it hasn't finished moving email from New to Main Folder, I think

<p>Hi Brian,</p><p>Load Winsock is on Always</p><p> </p><p>It stays Not Responding for a long time -maybe several minutes sometimes. This is why it freaks out when I start it up, as it hasn't finished moving email from New to Main Folder, I think </p>

5600 mails within your main folder could be a lot. Please note that Pmail is storing the content of a mail folder within one file, including attachments. I've got some users here where after 3000 mails including a lot of big attachments the file size of one mail folder is nearly 2 GB, which is the limit for 32bit Pmail, altough W10 could handle bigger file sizes. This could also slow down Pmail especially when still using spinning harddisks instead of SSDs.

We are deviding our mails at least per year, means I create new "year" folders for all of my users for each new year. This keeps the single "year" folders small and speeds up the handling. You should discover the physical file name of your main mail folder, searching it at your harddisk and checking its size.
Further, for testing, I would create a new mail folder in Pmail where all read new mails are sorted in from now. This could accelerate the mail handling, especially moving of mails, sinve the new folder is small.

Regarding the printer ... When opening a mail, Pmail is always searching for the connected printer. If it is not available or switched-off this could lead to delays.

<p>5600 mails within your main folder could be a lot. Please note that Pmail is storing the content of a mail folder within one file, including attachments. I've got some users here where after 3000 mails including a lot of big attachments the file size of one mail folder is nearly 2 GB, which is the limit for 32bit Pmail, altough W10 could handle bigger file sizes. This could also slow down Pmail especially when still using spinning harddisks instead of SSDs. </p><p>We are deviding our mails at least per year, means I create new "year" folders for all of my users for each new year. This keeps the single "year" folders small and speeds up the handling. You should discover the physical file name of your main mail folder, searching it at your harddisk and checking its size. Further, for testing, I would create a new mail folder in Pmail where all read new mails are sorted in from now. This could accelerate the mail handling, especially moving of mails, sinve the new folder is small.</p><p>Regarding the printer ... When opening a mail, Pmail is always searching for the connected printer. If it is not available or switched-off this could lead to delays. </p>

You could also try to exclude your Pmail mailbox folder from permanent scanning by MS Defender. Our mailboxes are server located and I've excluded the mailboxes from scanning at our server. Nevertheless keep in mind that incoming mails and attachment should be checked nevertheless.

You could also try to exclude your Pmail mailbox folder from permanent scanning by MS Defender. Our mailboxes are server located and I've excluded the mailboxes from scanning at our server. Nevertheless keep in mind that incoming mails and attachment should be checked nevertheless.

And another hint ... You should also check your single mail folders by Pmail's maintenance program MBXMAINT_UI.exe. Our experiences have shown that Pmail internal folder check shows "all ok", but the maintenance tool still shows wrong IDs.

One time the maintenance tool was not able to repair a folder. Finally I have created a brand new mail folder in Pmail and have copied all existing mails from the corrupt folder to the new folder. This was quit slowly and I was able to copy round about only 50 mail at a time. But when it was done, access to the new mail folder was realy fast again.

<p>And another hint ... You should also check your single mail folders by Pmail's maintenance program MBXMAINT_UI.exe. Our experiences have shown that Pmail internal folder check shows "all ok", but the maintenance tool still shows wrong IDs.</p><p>One time the maintenance tool was not able to repair a folder. Finally I have created a brand new mail folder in Pmail and have copied all existing mails from the corrupt folder to the new folder. This was quit slowly and I was able to copy round about only 50 mail at a time. But when it was done, access to the new mail folder was realy fast again. </p>

If D: is an external device connected via USB then there could be something going on with the USB or the device.  In this circumstance I would consider running a copy from C: as a test.

My immediate thought to your first post was printer as Joerg mentioned.  Pegasus Mail attempts to poll the default printer driver for font information.  Some printer drivers poll the printer itself which is why a printer that is off or not available (e.g. a network printer not accessible) may cause delays.  The resulting delays permeate Pegasus Mail behavior.

Finally, Joerg is spot on with his recommendations regarding folder size and how to address a folder specific performance issue.

<p>If D: is an external device connected via USB then there could be something going on with the USB or the device.  In this circumstance I would consider running a copy from C: as a test. </p><p>My immediate thought to your first post was printer as Joerg mentioned.  Pegasus Mail attempts to poll the default printer driver for font information.  Some printer drivers poll the printer itself which is why a printer that is off or not available (e.g. a network printer not accessible) may cause delays.  The resulting delays permeate Pegasus Mail behavior.</p><p>Finally, Joerg is spot on with his recommendations regarding folder size and how to address a folder specific performance issue. </p><p> </p>

Thanks, Juerg. I think it was about 320 Mb, but I've made a new Main Folder and renamed the previous one as Main Folder17 and will see. D is on an internal  HD. I have to admit I've been getting sloppy recently, since I hardly use my PC (with Pegasus on it) since I retired.

You don't have to configure PMail in some way regarding what printer?

<p>Thanks, Juerg. I think it was about 320 Mb, but I've made a new Main Folder and renamed the previous one as Main Folder17 and will see. D is on an internal  HD. I have to admit I've been getting sloppy recently, since I hardly use my PC (with Pegasus on it) since I retired.</p><p>You don't have to configure PMail in some way regarding what printer? </p><p> </p>

Thanks Brian.

D is an internal HD. I'll bear the print in mind.

Have made a new Main Folder - as I explained to Joerg, I've been getting lazy with my PC  since retirement!

Had 5 mail in New Folder, clicked on the copyself folder and they disappeared into Main Folder faster than the eye could follow!  Thanks to both - must stop being lazy!

<p>Thanks Brian.</p><p> </p><p>D is an internal HD. I'll bear the print in mind.</p><p>Have made a new Main Folder - as I explained to Joerg, I've been getting lazy with my PC  since retirement!</p><p>Had 5 mail in New Folder, clicked on the copyself folder and they disappeared into Main Folder faster than the eye could follow!  Thanks to both - must stop being lazy! </p>

It is essential to define a printer, if you don't have one, just install the default text printer  (Microsoft print to PDF, or CutePDF etc) and set it as your default. I believe the reason for this is that Pegasus Mail needs some default font management that it can enquire on about formatting and fonts available. HTH

Martin 

<p>It is essential to define a printer, if you don't have one, just install the default text printer  (Microsoft print to PDF, or CutePDF etc) and set it as your default. I believe the reason for this is that Pegasus Mail needs some default font management that it can enquire on about formatting and fonts available. HTH</p><p>Martin </p>

Hi Martin,

Obviously I have a printer selected as the default printer in Windows - you don’t somehow have to put into PMail settings? Or do you? 

<p>Hi Martin,</p><p>Obviously I have a printer selected as the default printer in Windows - you don’t somehow have to put into PMail settings? Or do you? </p>

Tom,

"Printer" in Pegasus Mail speak is a system default printer. 

Martins' suggestion of Microsoft Print to PDF is actually a really good one in that you could temporarily set it as the default printer and then test Pegasus Mail to see if it makes a difference (restart PMail before testing).

<p>Tom,</p><p>"Printer" in Pegasus Mail speak is a system default printer.  </p><p>Martins' suggestion of Microsoft Print to PDF is actually a really good one in that you could temporarily set it as the default printer and then test Pegasus Mail to see if it makes a difference (restart PMail before testing). </p>

Just a quick note. If you go into Printers (Control panel) and Select an available printer, remember to set it to the default printer. That way Pegasus mail can find it.

Martin 

<p>Just a quick note. If you go into Printers (Control panel) and Select an available printer, remember to set it to the default printer. That way Pegasus mail can find it.</p><p>Martin </p>

Hi Martin, My default printer is my Canon Pixma. Till last week, it was a HP Officejet. But I think making a new empty Main Folder has solved the problem,

Hi Martin, My default printer is my Canon Pixma. Till last week, it was a HP Officejet. But I think making a new empty Main Folder has solved the problem,
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft