Community Discussions and Support
error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure

[quote user="jpiquette"]

Brian,

I am running v. 4,72572. It may be that the later version includes the updated DLL's. And actually, verizon no longer offers email service. But when they dropped it, they transferred all the accounts to AOL, allowing those who moved over to retain their verizon addresses. It is quite possible AOL changed something, but they made no announcement.

Jean

[/quote]

I supposed it would be 4.71 or 4.72. Version 4.73 introduce the most stable OpenSSL libraries, those I sent you. Maybe you should consider update to 4.73 that have many other improvements and a security fix.

[quote user="jpiquette"]<p>Brian,</p><p>I am running v. 4,72572. It may be that the later version includes the updated DLL's. And actually, verizon no longer offers email service. But when they dropped it, they transferred all the accounts to AOL, allowing those who moved over to retain their verizon addresses. It is quite possible AOL changed something, but they made no announcement.</p><p> Jean</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I supposed it would be 4.71 or 4.72. Version 4.73 introduce the most stable OpenSSL libraries, those I sent you. Maybe you should consider update to 4.73 that have many other improvements and a security fix. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

For the past 24 hours I have been seeing the subject error message upon attempts to check the host for new mail. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Jean 

<p>For the past 24 hours I have been seeing the subject error message upon attempts to check the host for new mail. Any help with this would be appreciated.</p><p>Jean </p>

A web search for "malloc" produces numerous references to it as a C library function having to do with memory allocation.  I don't know if that is relevant here but a cold boot of the PC is worth a try if you haven't done one.

A web search for "malloc" produces numerous references to it as a C library function having to do with memory allocation.  I don't know if that is relevant here but a cold boot of the PC is worth a try if you haven't done one.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have done a reboot with no difference resulting.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have done a reboot with no difference resulting.

It doesn't look like a Pegasus Mail error message. Methinks it could be an OpenSSL error probably due to a wrong setting in the POP (or IMAP) Internet options. I'd start looking if the right port and/or proper SSL/TLS settings complies with server's.

It doesn't look like a Pegasus Mail error message. Methinks it could be an OpenSSL error probably due to a wrong setting in the POP (or IMAP) Internet options. I'd start looking if the right port and/or proper SSL/TLS settings complies with server's.

-- Euler

I have checked the port setting and the SSL settings. According to the provider, they are correct. Also, this has worked fine for years, and only started having the problem yesterday. I guess it's possible the provider changed things but has not updated their user information. It is hard getting through to them now with what is going on with the covid situation though.

I will try to find to if they made any changes.

Jean 

<p>I have checked the port setting and the SSL settings. According to the provider, they are correct. Also, this has worked fine for years, and only started having the problem yesterday. I guess it's possible the provider changed things but has not updated their user information. It is hard getting through to them now with what is going on with the covid situation though.</p><p> I will try to find to if they made any changes.</p><p> Jean<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

Maybe a session log can shed lights on the matter.

Maybe a session log can shed lights on the matter.

-- Euler

[quote user="jpiquette"]How do I produce a session log?[/quote]

Session logs are activated when you check Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only), bottommost of Tools > Internet options... General of your desired/running Identity. Once checked, all traffic between Pegasus Mail and your mail server will be registered in a session log.

These logs will be saved into the TCPLogs folder under that of your mailbox. Logs will be named TCP-######-####-#.pop, or TCP-######-####-#.imap, or TCP-######-####-#.smtp depending of the protocol used.

Please take care to obfuscate parts of the session logs that contains your login and password before you publish them. Pay attention to these lines below:

[quote]12:31:33.878: << USER @@@@@@@@@@@@@<cr><lf>
12:31:34.104: >> +OK send PASS<cr><lf>
12:31:34.104: << PASS @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@<cr><lf>[/quote]

where the "@" char replaces those of login and password. Note that despite either of them may be encoded (Base64 mostly) it is very easily decoded to the actual text string.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;jpiquette&quot;]How do I produce a session log?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Session logs are activated when you check &lt;b&gt;Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)&lt;/b&gt;, bottommost of &lt;i&gt;Tools &amp;gt; Internet options... General&lt;/i&gt; of your desired/running Identity. Once checked, all traffic between Pegasus Mail and your mail server will be registered in a session log. These logs will be saved into the &lt;b&gt;TCPLogs&lt;/b&gt; folder under that of your mailbox. Logs will be named &lt;i&gt;TCP-######-####-#.pop&lt;/i&gt;, or &lt;i&gt;TCP-######-####-#.imap&lt;/i&gt;, or &lt;i&gt;TCP-######-####-#.smtp&lt;/i&gt; depending of the protocol used.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Please take care to obfuscate parts of the session logs that contains your login and password before you publish them. Pay attention to these lines below: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote]12:31:33.878: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER @@@@@@@@@@@@@&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 12:31:34.104: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK send PASS&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 12:31:34.104: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; PASS @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;where the &quot;@&quot; char replaces those of login and password. Note that despite either of them may be encoded (Base64 mostly) it is very easily decoded to the actual text string. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

The logs all seem to only include the error message that is the subject of this thread. But I may be looking at the wrong log(s). None of the TCP logs I examined included any information about my login.Only the time and date and an error report are given. Error report is essentially the subject of the thread. Here is a copy of what is included in one of these logs (all of which appear to be identical):

11:18:19.532: --- 1 May 2020, 11:18:19.532 ---

11:18:19.532: Connect to 'pop.verizon.net', timeout 180 seconds.

11:18:20.737: [!] OpenSSL reported errors during handshake - error queue follows:

11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------

11:18:20.737: [!] error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure

11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------

&lt;p&gt;The logs all seem to only include the error message that is the subject of this thread. But I may be looking at the wrong log(s). None of the TCP logs I examined included any information about my login.Only the time and date and an error report are given. Error report is essentially the subject of the thread. Here is a copy of what is included in one of these logs (all of which appear to be identical):&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;11:18:19.532: --- 1 May 2020, 11:18:19.532 ---&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:19.532: Connect to &#039;pop.verizon.net&#039;, timeout 180 seconds.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] OpenSSL reported errors during handshake - error queue follows:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;

[quote user="jpiquette"]

The logs all seem to only include the error message that is the subject of this thread. But I may be looking at the wrong log(s). None of the TCP logs I examined included any information about my login.Only the time and date and an error report are given. Error report is essentially the subject of the thread. Here is a copy of what is included in one of these logs (all of which appear to be identical):

11:18:19.532: --- 1 May 2020, 11:18:19.532 ---

11:18:19.532: Connect to 'pop.verizon.net', timeout 180 seconds.

11:18:20.737: [!] OpenSSL reported errors during handshake - error queue follows:

11:18:20.737: [!] error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure

[/quote]

Yes indeed. But as I supect it is an OpenSSL error. I'm using OpenSSL version 1.0.2.14 and it works fine. You can check their two files (DLL) in the \Programs directory. Look for libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. I remember these files were updated because that in the installation package was producing errors under certain circumstances. I can send you my files if they are not available for download download from the Community site.

[quote user=&quot;jpiquette&quot;]&lt;p&gt;The logs all seem to only include the error message that is the subject of this thread. But I may be looking at the wrong log(s). None of the TCP logs I examined included any information about my login.Only the time and date and an error report are given. Error report is essentially the subject of the thread. Here is a copy of what is included in one of these logs (all of which appear to be identical):&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;11:18:19.532: --- 1 May 2020, 11:18:19.532 ---&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:19.532: Connect to &#039;pop.verizon.net&#039;, timeout 180 seconds.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] &lt;font color=&quot;#ff0000&quot;&gt;OpenSSL&lt;/font&gt; reported errors during handshake - error queue follows:&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;11:18:20.737: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Yes indeed. But as I supect it is an OpenSSL error. I&#039;m using OpenSSL version 1.0.2.14 and it works fine. You can check their two files (DLL) in the \Programs directory. Look for libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. I remember these files were updated because that in the installation package was producing errors under certain circumstances. I can send you my files if they are not available for download download from the Community site. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Those DLL's both have 2015 dates on  them, so it is likely they are out of date. Could not find a download for them in the community. And although I did find downloads online, I am not confident in the reliability of the sites. I would appreciate if you would make your updated versions available.

Those DLL&#039;s both have 2015 dates on&amp;nbsp; them, so it is likely they are out of date. Could not find a download for them in the community. And although I did find downloads online, I am not confident in the reliability of the sites. I would appreciate if you would make your updated versions available.

Get the file PmailSSL.zip from the link below. It'll last for the next 5 days. Drop its contents into \Pmail\Programs directory. Hope it doesn't get quarantined by the moderation.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g1e64e1a5f806545710002474576c3f77a9444cd27f

&lt;p&gt;Get the file &lt;b&gt;PmailSSL.zip&lt;/b&gt; from the link below. It&#039;ll last for the next 5 days. Drop its contents into \Pmail\Programs directory. Hope it doesn&#039;t get quarantined by the moderation. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g1e64e1a5f806545710002474576c3f77a9444cd27f&lt;/b&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Hope it works for you. I won't be available until tomorrow night. HTH.

Hope it works for you. I won&#039;t be available until tomorrow night. HTH.

-- Euler

That fixed it. Thank you so much! I have marked your post as the answer. Is there some other way I can credit you? 

Also, do you have any idea why this worked for years, then just suddenly had this problem 2 days ago?

&lt;p&gt;That fixed it. Thank you so much! I have marked your post as the answer. Is there some other way I can credit you?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Also, do you have any idea why this worked for years, then just suddenly had this problem 2 days ago?&lt;/p&gt;

Jean,

What version of Pegasus Mail are you running?  I ask because I have these SLL files in my v4.73 and don't remember manually updating them.  I am now curious whether they are included in v4.73 or whether I have forgotten that I updated them.

As for why the problem just started, I suspect Verizon made a change that required a more recent version of SSL.

&lt;p&gt;Jean,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What version of Pegasus Mail are you running?&amp;nbsp; I ask because I have these SLL files in my v4.73 and don&#039;t remember manually updating them.&amp;nbsp; I am now curious whether they are included in v4.73 or whether I have forgotten that I updated them.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As for why the problem just started, I suspect Verizon made a change that required a more recent version of SSL. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Brian,

I am running v. 4,72572. It may be that the later version includes the updated DLL's. And actually, verizon no longer offers email service. But when they dropped it, they transferred all the accounts to AOL, allowing those who moved over to retain their verizon addresses. It is quite possible AOL changed something, but they made no announcement.

Jean

&lt;p&gt;Brian,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am running v. 4,72572. It may be that the later version includes the updated DLL&#039;s. And actually, verizon no longer offers email service. But when they dropped it, they transferred all the accounts to AOL, allowing those who moved over to retain their verizon addresses. It is quite possible AOL changed something, but they made no announcement.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Jean&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="jpiquette"]

That fixed it. Thank you so much! I have marked your post as the answer. Is there some other way I can credit you? 

Also, do you have any idea why this worked for years, then just suddenly had this problem 2 days ago?

[/quote]

Glad it sorted out fine. HTH.

[quote user=&quot;jpiquette&quot;]&lt;p&gt;That fixed it. Thank you so much! I have marked your post as the answer. Is there some other way I can credit you?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Also, do you have any idea why this worked for years, then just suddenly had this problem 2 days ago?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Glad it sorted out fine. HTH. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft