Community Discussions and Support
Pmail, SSL and TLS.

Hello,

I have used Pmail for decades and would like to continue. But my ISP changed mail system. Their support guy write that Pegasus uses SSL v3 that is not supported.

They tested my account and found that it works fine with 143 / 587 with STARTTLS and 993 / 465 with SSL / TLS.

Can someone point me to an URL that tells me how to setup what they want?

I have tried to set up my account with STARTTLS without any luck. And I have a feeling that support@uniweb.no really does not want to bother with other mail programs than the big players. I on the other hand think that Pmail helps me keeping the nasty players out. As they probably do not look for ways to get into a mail program that few use.

Hello, I have used Pmail for decades and would like to continue. But my ISP changed mail system. Their support guy write that Pegasus uses SSL v3 that is not supported. They tested my account and found that it works fine with 143 / 587 with STARTTLS and 993 / 465 with SSL / TLS. Can someone point me to an URL that tells me how to setup what they want? I have tried to set up my account with STARTTLS without any luck. And I have a feeling that support@uniweb.no really does not want to bother with other mail programs than the big players. I on the other hand think that Pmail helps me keeping the nasty players out. As they probably do not look for ways to get into a mail program that few use.

What version of Pegasus Mail are you running? SSL v3 has been optional for a number of versions. If you are running the most recent version (4.73.639) then you may have SSL v3 enabled in the Security tab of the SMTP host configuration and/or the IMAP profile.

In layman's terms, what they provided is port numbers as follows:

IMAP: port 143 with "Via STARTTLS" selected in the security tab
or
IMAP: port 993 with "Via direct SSL connect" selected in the security tab
and
SMTP: port 587 with "Via STARTTLS" selected in the security tab
or
SMTP: port 465 with "Via direct SSL connect" selected in the security tab

They don't mention "direct SSL" so your start with STARTTLS is appropriate. If they don't work you can then try the other ports with via direct SSL.

You will want to have internet session logging enabled during testing so that you can review the logs for a clue into connection failures. Don't forget to disable the logging once done.

Finally, I am not aware of any resource that would provide step by step instructions. The Pegasus Mail manual and the help file are the documentation resources that I am aware of. Relevant help file information is best accessed via the Help button in each configuration window.

What version of Pegasus Mail are you running? SSL v3 has been optional for a number of versions. If you are running the most recent version (4.73.639) then you may have SSL v3 enabled in the Security tab of the SMTP host configuration and/or the IMAP profile. In layman's terms, what they provided is port numbers as follows: IMAP: port 143 with "Via STARTTLS" selected in the security tab or IMAP: port 993 with "Via direct SSL connect" selected in the security tab and SMTP: port 587 with "Via STARTTLS" selected in the security tab or SMTP: port 465 with "Via direct SSL connect" selected in the security tab They don't mention "direct SSL" so your start with STARTTLS is appropriate. If they don't work you can then try the other ports with via direct SSL. You will want to have internet session logging enabled during testing so that you can review the logs for a clue into connection failures. Don't forget to disable the logging once done. Finally, I am not aware of any resource that would provide step by step instructions. The Pegasus Mail manual and the help file are the documentation resources that I am aware of. Relevant help file information is best accessed via the Help button in each configuration window.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft