Community Discussions and Support
POP collection from several mail providers continues to attempt receipt from a deleted account

I'm using POP for seventeen different mail addresses on a collection of different mail providers.
It has been fine for many years but from yesterday has attempted to pull new mail from an account that no longer exists.

The dialog box shows:
15:37:43.133: --- 9 Nov 2021, 15:37:43.133 ---
15:37:43.133: Connect to 'mail.districtwebmasters.org', timeout 30 seconds.
15:37:44.310: >> +OK Dovecot ready.
15:37:44.310: << USER errors@districtwebmasters.org
15:37:44.373: >> +OK
<< 0018 PASS XXXXXXXXXXX
15:37:46.381: >> -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.

I've reviewed Tools > Internet Options > [Receiving] and this address is not in there.

Another odd symptom, the dialog runs quickly but, as far as I can see the problem address is around the 20th being accessed (i.e. off the bottom of the list of addresses in settings)

Restarting Pegasus or rebooting the PC does not clear the problem.

A review of pmail.ini while pegasus was running showed an additional POP definition and, examining that, it's the one causing problems. (Even though the PC has been rebooted several times to try and clear the error)

Closing Pegasus again caused the additional POP definition to disappear from pmail.ini but I still get the errors when fetching new mail.

The unwanted POP definition is recreated in pmail.ini when I restart Pmail.

Where's that coming from and what's the best way to remove it please?

I&#039;m using POP for seventeen different mail addresses on a collection of different mail providers. It has been fine for many years but from yesterday has attempted to pull new mail from an account that no longer exists. The dialog box shows: 15:37:43.133: --- 9 Nov 2021, 15:37:43.133 --- 15:37:43.133: Connect to &#039;mail.districtwebmasters.org&#039;, timeout 30 seconds. 15:37:44.310: &gt;&gt; +OK Dovecot ready. 15:37:44.310: &lt;&lt; USER errors@districtwebmasters.org 15:37:44.373: &gt;&gt; +OK &lt;&lt; 0018 PASS XXXXXXXXXXX 15:37:46.381: &gt;&gt; -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed. I&#039;ve reviewed Tools &gt; Internet Options &gt; [Receiving] and this address is not in there. Another odd symptom, the dialog runs quickly but, as far as I can see the problem address is around the 20th being accessed (i.e. off the bottom of the list of addresses in settings) Restarting Pegasus or rebooting the PC does not clear the problem. A review of pmail.ini while pegasus was running showed an additional POP definition and, examining that, it&#039;s the one causing problems. (Even though the PC has been rebooted several times to try and clear the error) Closing Pegasus again caused the additional POP definition to disappear from pmail.ini but I still get the errors when fetching new mail. The unwanted POP definition is recreated in pmail.ini when I restart Pmail. Where&#039;s that coming from and what&#039;s the best way to remove it please?

I you are using multiple identities, it is possible (likely) that one of the identities is configured to check that address. You would have to check Tools > Internet options > Receiving while in each one to find it.

To remove a POP3 definition from Pegasus Mail go to Tools > Internet options > Receiving then click the Add button. This will list all configured POP3 definitions and is where you can do a delete.

I you are using multiple identities, it is possible (likely) that one of the identities is configured to check that address. You would have to check Tools &gt; Internet options &gt; Receiving while in each one to find it. To remove a POP3 definition from Pegasus Mail go to Tools &gt; Internet options &gt; Receiving then click the Add button. This will list all configured POP3 definitions and is where you can do a delete.

Thanks Brian,

I've tried that now and can see no sign of the problem e-mail address on any of the identites. I can't find it in the list of POP3 definitions either.

However, moving the .PND file out of the way stops the errors from coming up.
Removing that line from the pmail.ini file and restarting Pegasus causes the pmail.ini to restore that line again :=((

However, it's no longer a problem since removing the .PND files stops the error dialog from getting in the way every 30 seconds. Not elegant but not a problem now.

Thanks again for your reply

Malcolm

Thanks Brian, I&#039;ve tried that now and can see no sign of the problem e-mail address on any of the identites. I can&#039;t find it in the list of POP3 definitions either. However, moving the .PND file out of the way stops the errors from coming up. Removing that line from the pmail.ini file and restarting Pegasus causes the pmail.ini to restore that line again :=(( However, it&#039;s no longer a problem since removing the .PND files stops the error dialog from getting in the way every 30 seconds. Not elegant but not a problem now. Thanks again for your reply Malcolm

However, moving the .PND file out of the way stops the errors from coming up.
Removing that line from the pmail.ini file and restarting Pegasus causes the pmail.ini to restore that line again :=((

This is really strange. I know that if you copy a .PND file from one Pegasus Mail to another it will show up in the appropriate hosts list (SMTP, POP3). What I don't know is what triggers the addition of the entry in pmail.ini. I thought it was done when a host was added via Internet Options by adding the .PND entry to the appropriate identity section. Did you search the whole .ini file for that .PND filename?

[quote=&quot;pid:52996, uid:5592&quot;]However, moving the .PND file out of the way stops the errors from coming up. Removing that line from the pmail.ini file and restarting Pegasus causes the pmail.ini to restore that line again :=(([/quote] This is really strange. I know that if you copy a .PND file from one Pegasus Mail to another it will show up in the appropriate hosts list (SMTP, POP3). What I don&#039;t know is what triggers the addition of the entry in pmail.ini. I thought it was done when a host was added via Internet Options by adding the .PND entry to the appropriate identity section. Did you search the whole .ini file for that .PND filename?

Yes, just checked again, the only entry for that .PND was the one that was added at startup.

However, I edited the pmail.ini file to remove that line again and then restarted Pegasus. The entry is no longer created in pmail.ini on startup and there are no longer errors trying to connect to a non-existent mail address. (The .PDN file is still removed from the directory)

Conclusion: The pmail.ini POP lines are created by scanning the directory for .PND files at startup and restored there if pmail.ini has been edited to remove them.

Thanks again for your help with this

Malcolm

Yes, just checked again, the only entry for that .PND was the one that was added at startup. However, I edited the pmail.ini file to remove that line again and then restarted Pegasus. The entry is no longer created in pmail.ini on startup and there are no longer errors trying to connect to a non-existent mail address. (The .PDN file is still removed from the directory) Conclusion: The pmail.ini POP lines are created by scanning the directory for .PND files at startup and restored there if pmail.ini has been edited to remove them. Thanks again for your help with this Malcolm

Conclusion: The pmail.ini POP lines are created by scanning the directory for .PND files at startup and restored there if pmail.ini has been edited to remove them.

I don't think so because the utilization of .PND files is identity specific. Only the ones configured for an identity are listed in the associated identity area in pmail.ini.

AFAIK, the only other place POP .PND files are recorded is in SMTP .PND files when it is configured to use the credentials of a POP connection. Is that a possibility?
I just learned this as a result of doing a text search of all files in my mailbox directory using a .PND filename as the search string.

[quote=&quot;pid:52999, uid:5592&quot;]Conclusion: The pmail.ini POP lines are created by scanning the directory for .PND files at startup and restored there if pmail.ini has been edited to remove them.[/quote] I don&#039;t think so because the utilization of .PND files is identity specific. Only the ones configured for an identity are listed in the associated identity area in pmail.ini. AFAIK, the only other place POP .PND files are recorded is in SMTP .PND files when it is configured to use the credentials of a POP connection. Is that a possibility? I just learned this as a result of doing a text search of all files in my mailbox directory using a .PND filename as the search string.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft