Community Discussions and Support
failure to send emails from networked computer

I use Pegasus via a windows home network, opening the ap from other computers on the network. This has worked fine for years, but now I can only send from the host computer. When sending mail on a networked client computer, the message stays on screen without sending.

I use Pegasus via a windows home network, opening the ap from other computers on the network. This has worked fine for years, but now I can only send from the host computer. When sending mail on a networked client computer, the message stays on screen without sending.

You don't reference any sort of gateway so I assume each PC is configured to handle the sending of messages. If something had gone wrong with the SMTP configuration you should see an indication that the send had failed and the message should be queued for a re-send. The message window should not stay on the screen. I have tried numerous scenarios that will cause a send to fail and can not duplicate what you describe without receiving some sort of notification.

When you click send do you see anything at the bottom left of the main Pegasus Mail window indicating attempted send activity?

Have you restarted Pegasus Mail, maybe even the PC to rule out a system anomaly?

Does it happen on all networked computers?

FWIW, The only event I know of that matches your description is when a message is saved. A copy of the message is saved but the original remains open pending either a send or a cancel.

You don't reference any sort of gateway so I assume each PC is configured to handle the sending of messages. If something had gone wrong with the SMTP configuration you should see an indication that the send had failed and the message should be queued for a re-send. The message window should not stay on the screen. I have tried numerous scenarios that will cause a send to fail and can not duplicate what you describe without receiving some sort of notification. When you click send do you see anything at the bottom left of the main Pegasus Mail window indicating attempted send activity? Have you restarted Pegasus Mail, maybe even the PC to rule out a system anomaly? Does it happen on all networked computers? FWIW, The only event I know of that matches your description is when a message is saved. A copy of the message is saved but the original remains open pending either a send or a cancel.

Brian, Thanks for your reply,

The problem persists, I can still send emails on the host computer but not on any of the client computers.

When sending message on client there is nothing showing on the bottom of the screen and it does not go to the queue.

This all started when one morning the host computer decided for some reason to change from a private network to a public network setting so the Pegasus link on client computers could not see the host computer. It took me a while to get to the bottom of that. Now we can access pegasus and get all the functionality except for sending mail, i.e. we can move emails to folders, we can delete emails and even write them and store them in saved email folder.

I can only assume it is in the configuration of the network somewhere that is my problem, any ideas?

Regards

Brian, Thanks for your reply, The problem persists, I can still send emails on the host computer but not on any of the client computers. When sending message on client there is nothing showing on the bottom of the screen and it does not go to the queue. This all started when one morning the host computer decided for some reason to change from a private network to a public network setting so the Pegasus link on client computers could not see the host computer. It took me a while to get to the bottom of that. Now we can access pegasus and get all the functionality except for sending mail, i.e. we can move emails to folders, we can delete emails and even write them and store them in saved email folder. I can only assume it is in the configuration of the network somewhere that is my problem, any ideas? Regards

In my previous post I mentioned a gateway. If each client runs Pegasus Mail as a unique user and an SMTP host is not configured for each user then a gateway must have been configured for the sending of messages. This is done using pconfig32.exe (used to be pconfig.exe). Sound familiar?

A gateway configuration is stored in the file PMAIL.CFG located in the \Programs directory. Its contents are readable with a text editor but a manual edit will corrupt it so great care must be taken when working with it. It is best to make a copy in a temporary location, rename it to PMAIL.TXT, and then use that to view the content. All of the paths you see in this file must be valid for all of the client computers.

If you don't have a separate gateway product, like Mercury/32, you must have had the gateway configured such that the clients were submitting outgoing messages to the queue on the host machine. This would mean that Pegasus Mail is always running on the host and doing the sending. I believe this is what you need to figure out but I have never seen a configuration like this so am not certain.

In my previous post I mentioned a gateway. If each client runs Pegasus Mail as a unique user and an SMTP host is not configured for each user then a gateway must have been configured for the sending of messages. This is done using pconfig32.exe (used to be pconfig.exe). Sound familiar? A gateway configuration is stored in the file PMAIL.CFG located in the \Programs directory. Its contents are readable with a text editor but a manual edit will corrupt it so great care must be taken when working with it. It is best to make a copy in a temporary location, rename it to PMAIL.TXT, and then use that to view the content. All of the paths you see in this file must be valid for all of the client computers. If you don't have a separate gateway product, like Mercury/32, you must have had the gateway configured such that the clients were submitting outgoing messages to the queue on the host machine. This would mean that Pegasus Mail is always running on the host and doing the sending. I believe this is what you need to figure out but I have never seen a configuration like this so am not certain.

We are running Mercury as well, is this the gateway you mention?

I have looked at PMAIL.CFG and it has the following text

" \server\mail\box~8 \server\mail\box~8 "

Not sure what the ~8 is doing, there are only 4 folders (with names of the users plus a folder called General where all old mails are stored) and a PMAIL.USR file in "box"

So do you think its Mercury that's the problem?

We are running Mercury as well, is this the gateway you mention? I have looked at PMAIL.CFG and it has the following text " \\server\mail\box\~8 \\server\mail\box\~8 " Not sure what the ~8 is doing, there are only 4 folders (with names of the users plus a folder called General where all old mails are stored) and a PMAIL.USR file in "box" So do you think its Mercury that's the problem?

We are running Mercury as well, is this the gateway you mention?

Yes

These appear to be invalid paths but since they must be valid if the clients can access mailboxes.

Not sure what the ~8 is doing, there are only 4 folders (with names of the users plus a folder called General where all old mails are stored) and a PMAIL.USR file in "box"

The "~8" is a placeholder for the current Pegasus Mail username (up to 8 characters). This is how Pegasus Mail and Mercury know which mailbox directory to be working with.

So do you think its Mercury that's the problem?

Mercury can't send a message that doesn't get submitted to its queue and I suspect your point of failure is queue submission although identifying why the host is working but the clients aren't could shed some light.

If you want to create a new PMAIL.CFG file, backup your current one and then, with Pegasus Mail closed on all machines, run pconfig32.exe on the host. Pconfig32 is pretty self-explanatory and has a "Mercury" button that is supposed to ease gateway setup process when Mercury is the gateway (I have never used it). Note: When entering the path to the root mailbox directory you will need to add "~8" at the end. Based on what you have posted I believe that path should be \server\mail\box~8. Be certain that the clients can navigate to this path. Use a file explorer on the clients and manually enter the path, without the "~8", to make sure they can access it. The same goes for the path to the Mercury queue directory.

You may need to start a new post on the Mercury forum if more discussion about Mercury is required.

[quote="pid:53045, uid:30128"]We are running Mercury as well, is this the gateway you mention?[/quote] Yes [quote="pid:53045, uid:30128"]I have looked at PMAIL.CFG and it has the following text " \server\mail\box~8 \server\mail\box~8 "[/quote] These appear to be invalid paths but since they must be valid if the clients can access mailboxes. [quote="pid:53045, uid:30128"]Not sure what the ~8 is doing, there are only 4 folders (with names of the users plus a folder called General where all old mails are stored) and a PMAIL.USR file in "box"[/quote] The "~8" is a placeholder for the current Pegasus Mail username (up to 8 characters). This is how Pegasus Mail and Mercury know which mailbox directory to be working with. [quote="pid:53045, uid:30128"]So do you think its Mercury that's the problem?[/quote] Mercury can't send a message that doesn't get submitted to its queue and I suspect your point of failure is queue submission although identifying why the host is working but the clients aren't could shed some light. If you want to create a new PMAIL.CFG file, backup your current one and then, with Pegasus Mail closed on all machines, run pconfig32.exe on the host. Pconfig32 is pretty self-explanatory and has a "Mercury" button that is supposed to ease gateway setup process when Mercury is the gateway (I have never used it). Note: When entering the path to the root mailbox directory you will need to add "\~8" at the end. Based on what you have posted I believe that path should be \\server\mail\box\~8. Be certain that the clients can navigate to this path. Use a file explorer on the clients and manually enter the path, without the "\~8", to make sure they can access it. The same goes for the path to the Mercury queue directory. You may need to start a new post on the Mercury forum if more discussion about Mercury is required.

The file will have two location definitions, often the same, with other characters between them.

At the very least these probably should begin with a double backslash (\) as they refer to a location on a different computer.

As Brian has said, use pconfig32.exe to create a new version.

> I have looked at PMAIL.CFG and it has the following text " \server\mail\box~8 \server\mail\box~8 " The file will have two location definitions, often the same, with other characters between them. At the very least these probably should begin with a double backslash (\\) as they refer to a location on a different computer. As Brian has said, use pconfig32.exe to create a new version.

I seem to have sorted it!

I looked at the set up for Mercury queue in the Pcgonfig32 as suggested and when I went to "edit" the mercury gateway found the link to the queue was referenced to C: rather than \SERVER so Pegasus running on other computers was looking to their own C drive and not the networked address.

All seems to be working now, though I have no idea how this managed to change on its own! as I said the mail has been working fine till a few weeks back.

Thank you for all the help.

I seem to have sorted it! I looked at the set up for Mercury queue in the Pcgonfig32 as suggested and when I went to "edit" the mercury gateway found the link to the queue was referenced to C: rather than \\SERVER so Pegasus running on other computers was looking to their own C drive and not the networked address. All seems to be working now, though I have no idea how this managed to change on its own! as I said the mail has been working fine till a few weeks back. Thank you for all the help.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft