Community Discussions and Support
when will the new version be released?

I noticed a mention in this thread of a beta test group. Is the beta test open, or how would I apply?

I have introduced a few family members to pmail, including one now elderly relative with limited vision. The bitmapped fonts in the pmail user interface are increasingly difficult to read on high-resolution displays, but after decades with pmail, they don't want to learn a new e-mail client.

Does anyone on this list know if pmail v. 4.8 will replace the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts? Or will that have to wait for v. 5? Is there a beta version of pmail available with scaleable fonts, and if so, how would I apply to join the beta test?

Best wishes to all for a better 2022,

Edward Hasbrouck
(Happy pmail user for 30 years)

I noticed a mention in this thread of a beta test group. Is the beta test open, or how would I apply? I have introduced a few family members to pmail, including one now elderly relative with limited vision. The bitmapped fonts in the pmail user interface are increasingly difficult to read on high-resolution displays, but after decades with pmail, they don't want to learn a new e-mail client. Does anyone on this list know if pmail v. 4.8 will replace the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts? Or will that have to wait for v. 5? Is there a beta version of pmail available with scaleable fonts, and if so, how would I apply to join the beta test? Best wishes to all for a better 2022, Edward Hasbrouck (Happy pmail user for 30 years)

Does anyone on this list know if pmail v. 4.8 will replace the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts? Or will that have to wait for v. 5? Is there a beta version of pmail available with scaleable fonts, and if so, how would I apply to join the beta test?

Version 4.8 will come with two resource sets for helping with resolution issues. I have no idea what the effects are since I'm not using any large screens with high resolution (whatever high exactly means, I just have no idea, and I'm shortsighted, so I'm even better off without my glasses).

And no, there's currently no public beta testing, it might become available for version 5 and then it'll certainly be announced somewhere in this forum.

And before you (or anyone else) ask: We're having issues with User Account Control which is delaying the release. If anyone wishes to discuss this any further please open a new thread.

[quote="pid:53151, uid:3076"]Does anyone on this list know if pmail v. 4.8 will replace the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts? Or will that have to wait for v. 5? Is there a beta version of pmail available with scaleable fonts, and if so, how would I apply to join the beta test?[/quote] Version 4.8 will come with two resource sets for helping with resolution issues. I have no idea what the effects are since I'm not using any large screens with high resolution (whatever _high_ exactly means, I just have no idea, and I'm shortsighted, so I'm even better off without my glasses). And no, there's currently no public beta testing, it might become available for version 5 and then it'll certainly be announced somewhere in this forum. And before you (or anyone else) ask: We're having issues with User Account Control which is delaying the release. If anyone wishes to discuss this any further please open a new thread.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Good morning and a Happy New Year to all.

... please give me one good reason not to leave Pegasus Mail!

Hmm ...

I'll be straightforward and try to be as civil as I can possibly be:

I think that if you cannot come up with a great many good reasons to keep using David Harris' Pegasus Mail then you should look elsewhere for an email client to suit your needs for Pegasus Mail is quite obviously not for you.

I extend this concept to all those who demand, complain and whine without having the slightest clue as to how much work goes into just maintaining software such as Pegasus Mail, let alone for free while attempting to make a living at the same time.

I have forgotten for how long I have been using Pegasus Mail, but I'm sure it was since version 3.12 under W3.11 (?).

What I have not forgotten is that, after trying two or three other email clients (all gone the way of the dodo) and making it my definitive one, it has always served me very well and have never (ever) had any important issues with it or the support I was able to get when I needed it.

This to the extent of using Pegasus Mail under Linux became the deal breaker necessary for me to finally leave the MS environment behind for good, thanks to WINE as none of the Linux based options I tried made the grade.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no room for anyone to demand anything from David Harris, here or anywhere else.

He has been open handedly giving his time and effort to the community for over 30 years.

That is all I will say on the subject.

Cheers,

S.

Good morning and a Happy New Year to all. [quote="pid:53026, uid:2311"] ... please give me one good reason not to leave Pegasus Mail! [/quote] Hmm ... I'll be straightforward and try to be as civil as I can possibly be: I think that if you cannot come up with a great many _good_ reasons to keep using David Harris' Pegasus Mail then you should look _elsewhere_ for an email client to suit your needs for Pegasus Mail is quite obviously not for you. I extend this concept to all those who demand, complain and whine without having the slightest clue as to how much work goes into just maintaining software such as Pegasus Mail, let alone for free while attempting to make a living at the same time. I have forgotten for how long I have been using Pegasus Mail, but I'm sure it was since version 3.12 under W3.11 (?). What I have _not_ forgotten is that, after trying two or three other email clients (all gone the way of the dodo) and making it my definitive one, it has always served me very well and have never (ever) had any important issues with it or the support I was able to get when I needed it. This to the extent of using Pegasus Mail under Linux became the deal breaker necessary for me to finally leave the MS environment behind for good, thanks to WINE as none of the Linux based options I tried made the grade. In my opinion, there is absolutely _no_ room for _anyone_ to demand _anything_ from David Harris, here or anywhere else. He has been open handedly giving his time and effort to the community for over 30 years. That is all I will say on the subject. Cheers, S.
edited Jan 3 '22 at 1:09 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft