Community Discussions and Support
IERenderer Version 2.6.5.6
  • Fixes the update notification feature to work for Pegasus Mail versions as of 4.73 instead of only the not yet released v4.8 and later (sorry for hosing this one ...). I also modified its implementation to the extent of only enabling the update links (in IER's toolbar button menu and its About ... dialog) if an update is actually available. If you feel the need to trigger a download of a repository version there's a link to the history page in IER's help file which can still be accessed via its button menu.

• Added an INI file entry called UpdateNotification (default value YES) especially to be used by client-server network administrators to prevent client users from triggering (hopefully anyway futile) update attempts by disabling all notifications and links (see previous paragraph) even if updates are actually available. For doing so they would need to create an IERenderer.ini just containing the line UpdateNotification=NO into the server directory containing IERenderer.dll. It'll simply override all respective client user settings.

• Fixed an issue with some confirmation dialogs not honoring a No anymore after recent changes related to the domain block list implementation.

IER's "homepage": < https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm >

Download URL: < https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip >.

- Fixes the _update notification_ feature to work for Pegasus Mail versions as of 4.73 instead of only the not yet released v4.8 and later (sorry for hosing this one ...). I also modified its implementation to the extent of only enabling the update links (in IER&#039;s toolbar button menu and its _About ..._ dialog) if an update is actually available. If you feel the need to trigger a download of a repository version there&#039;s a link to the history page in IER&#039;s help file which can still be accessed via its button menu. - Added an INI file entry called _UpdateNotification_ (default value YES) especially to be used by client-server network administrators to prevent client users from triggering (hopefully anyway futile) update attempts by disabling all notifications and links (see previous paragraph) even if updates are actually available. For doing so they would need to create an _IERenderer.ini_ just containing the line _UpdateNotification=NO_ into the server directory containing _IERenderer.dll_. It&#039;ll simply override all respective client user settings. - Fixed an issue with some confirmation dialogs not honoring a _No_ anymore after recent changes related to the domain block list implementation. IER&#039;s &quot;homepage&quot;:&nbsp; &lt; https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm &gt; Download URL:&nbsp; &lt; https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip &gt;.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Moin Michael,

Thanks for your work. I can't update as fast as you release new versions. smile

Due to the current increased update frequency, is it possible to additionally provide all the single files of your setup assembly for download from a separate download link? Each time I have to copy the setup file to my local machine, followed by running innounp in a cmd console, followed by copying the files back to the server.
It doesn't matter, if this would happen once every half year. But for nearly daily updating ...

Moin Michael, Thanks for your work. I can&#039;t update as fast as you release new versions. 8) Due to the current increased update frequency, is it possible to additionally provide all the single files of your setup assembly for download from a separate download link? Each time I have to copy the setup file to my local machine, followed by running innounp in a cmd console, followed by copying the files back to the server. It doesn&#039;t matter, if this would happen once every half year. But for nearly daily updating ...

But for nearly daily updating .

Sorry, Joerg, this is just a special situation since I don't know when to expect Pegasus Mail's v4.8 update and I don't want to cause further delays by providing a buggy IER release. And I want to get your feature requests out to the folks ASAP, of course ;-) I really hope this one will be the last before 4.8 gets out the door!

[quote=&quot;pid:53207, uid:3785&quot;]But for nearly daily updating .[/quote] Sorry, Joerg, this is just a special situation since I don&#039;t know when to expect Pegasus Mail&#039;s v4.8 update and I don&#039;t want to cause further delays by providing a buggy IER release. And I want to get your feature requests out to the folks ASAP, of course ;-) I really hope this one will be the last before 4.8 gets out the door!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I've updated to IER 2.6.5.6 by copying the files to the corresponding IERenderer subdirectory of Pmail at our server share. No problems. I've also manually created the IERenderer.ini and have added the line "UpdateNotification=YES" to see how it works, when the next update will be released.
At the moment the context menu entry "IERenderer Update" is disabled within Pmail. I assume it will be enabled only in case a new update is available, isn't it?

No further complains at the moment, all in good order. I will observe and report.

I&#039;ve updated to IER 2.6.5.6 by copying the files to the corresponding IERenderer subdirectory of Pmail at our server share. No problems. I&#039;ve also manually created the IERenderer.ini and have added the line &quot;UpdateNotification=YES&quot; to see how it works, when the next update will be released. At the moment the context menu entry &quot;IERenderer Update&quot; is disabled within Pmail. I assume it will be enabled only in case a new update is available, isn&#039;t it? No further complains at the moment, all in good order. I will observe and report.

At the moment the context menu entry "IERenderer Update" is disabled within Pmail. I assume it will be enabled only in case a new update is available, isn't it?

If all goes well you won't ever see it getting enabled again ;-)
But I'm pretty confident the gods of the Internet will decide to do something about this ...

[quote=&quot;pid:53211, uid:3785&quot;]At the moment the context menu entry &quot;IERenderer Update&quot; is disabled within Pmail. I assume it will be enabled only in case a new update is available, isn&#039;t it?[/quote] If all goes well you won&#039;t ever see it getting enabled again ;-) But I&#039;m pretty confident the gods of the Internet will decide to do something about this ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 13 '22 at 2:59 am

The new version have now the update entry in grey, so no update available.

And the entry "UpdateNotification=YES" in the ini-file was just first written after I changed something in the configuration menu of IER and saved it.

So for testing would be nice to have an intermediate update which just increase the version number to check if notification will be shown.

The new version have now the update entry in grey, so no update available. And the entry &quot;UpdateNotification=YES&quot; in the ini-file was just first written after I changed something in the configuration menu of IER and saved it. So for testing would be nice to have an intermediate update which just increase the version number to check if notification will be shown.

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

Any IER configuration changes via GUI in Pmail affects the user ini only. Is this correct? Can't imagine that IER is checking two different ini files at two different places.

It's absolutely correct, and yes, it does check both instances. In fact there could even be third one if anyone would want to use it for administering several users on a single machine, in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\Pegasus Mail (we usually know it as C:\ProgramData\Pegasus Mail). IER simply reads the lowest level (i.e. client user) first, then any machine INI and finally the admin INI which respectively override the ones it read before, it's as simple as that. The user just needs to restart Pegasus Mail after any of these has been changed. You can try it with any option you want to, they will be shown as disabled in the configuration dialog with a comment popping up on mouse-over about where to find the file which overrides the setting. This feature has actually been available ever since IER exists but nobody ever appears to have used it so far - otherwise I would have been asked about it for sure.

Don't know whether its important or a normal time delay.

There shouldn't be one. The only case in which most of the menu items are disabled is while plain text messages are focused since they won't work on plain text messages. If there's really another delay like you describe it than it's most likely due to the update check going on in the backgound since it's part of the INI file intialization routines. Slow internet connection there?

[Funny enough, when I tested this on my disconnected XP machine it brought up the pre-historical dial-up dialog ;-)]

[quote=&quot;pid:53220, uid:3785&quot;] Any IER configuration changes via GUI in Pmail affects the user ini only. Is this correct? Can&#039;t imagine that IER is checking two different ini files at two different places.[/quote] It&#039;s absolutely correct, and yes, it _does_ check both instances. In fact there could even be third one if anyone would want to use it for administering several users on a single machine, in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\Pegasus Mail (we usually know it as C:\ProgramData\Pegasus Mail). IER simply reads the lowest level (i.e. client user) first, then any machine INI and finally the admin INI which respectively override the ones it read before, it&#039;s as simple as that. The user just needs to restart Pegasus Mail after any of these has been changed. You can try it with any option you want to, they will be shown as disabled in the configuration dialog with a comment popping up on mouse-over about where to find the file which overrides the setting. This feature has actually been available ever since IER exists but nobody ever appears to have used it so far - otherwise I would have been asked about it for sure. [quote=&quot;pid:53220, uid:3785&quot;]Don&#039;t know whether its important or a normal time delay.[/quote] There shouldn&#039;t be one. The only case in which most of the menu items are disabled is while plain text messages are focused since they won&#039;t work on plain text messages. If there&#039;s really another delay like you describe it than it&#039;s most likely due to the update check going on in the backgound since it&#039;s part of the INI file intialization routines. Slow internet connection there? [Funny enough, when I tested this on my disconnected XP machine it brought up the pre-historical dial-up dialog ;-)]
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 13 '22 at 5:12 pm

It's absolutely correct, and yes, it does check both instances. In fact there could even be third one if anyone would want to use it for administering several users on a single machine, in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\Pegasus Mail (we usually know it as C:\ProgramData\Pegasus Mail). IER simply reads the lowest level (i.e. client user) first, then any machine INI and finally the admin INI which respectively override the ones it read before, it's as simple as that.

Nice to know how it works. Good solution. Thanks for explanations.

There shouldn't be one. The only case in which most of the menu items are disabled is while plain text messages are focused since they won't work on plain text messages. If there's really another delay like you describe it than it's most likely due to the update check going on in the backgound since it's part of the INI file intialization routines. Slow internet connection there?

Just taken the time this morning after Pmail has been started without opening an email. IER menu entries were available after 37 s. Our network (to the server) is fast (1Gbit) and our internet connection as well (100 Mbit fiber line with about 5 to 15 ms ping). But this delay doesn't cause any disadvantages or inconveniences and was even not noticed until yesterday. All is in good order in this regard.

[quote=&quot;pid:53221, uid:2133&quot;]It&#039;s absolutely correct, and yes, it does check both instances. In fact there could even be third one if anyone would want to use it for administering several users on a single machine, in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\Pegasus Mail (we usually know it as C:\ProgramData\Pegasus Mail). IER simply reads the lowest level (i.e. client user) first, then any machine INI and finally the admin INI which respectively override the ones it read before, it&#039;s as simple as that.[/quote] Nice to know how it works. Good solution. Thanks for explanations. [quote=&quot;pid:53221, uid:2133&quot;]There shouldn&#039;t be one. The only case in which most of the menu items are disabled is while plain text messages are focused since they won&#039;t work on plain text messages. If there&#039;s really another delay like you describe it than it&#039;s most likely due to the update check going on in the backgound since it&#039;s part of the INI file intialization routines. Slow internet connection there?[/quote] Just taken the time this morning after Pmail has been started without opening an email. IER menu entries were available after 37 s. Our network (to the server) is fast (1Gbit) and our internet connection as well (100 Mbit fiber line with about 5 to 15 ms ping). But this delay doesn&#039;t cause any disadvantages or inconveniences and was even not noticed until yesterday. All is in good order in this regard.

But this delay doesn't cause any disadvantages or inconveniences and was even not noticed until yesterday. All is in good order in this regard.

I would like to know, though, whether it's really caused by the version lookup or not, I guess you don't remember by any chance whether this could have been there before updating to the latest version, do you?

[quote=&quot;pid:53223, uid:3785&quot;]But this delay doesn&#039;t cause any disadvantages or inconveniences and was even not noticed until yesterday. All is in good order in this regard.[/quote] I would like to know, though, whether it&#039;s really caused by the version lookup or not, I guess you don&#039;t remember by any chance whether this could have been there before updating to the latest version, do you?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I would like to know, though, whether it's really caused by the version lookup or not, I guess you don't remember by any chance whether this could have been there before updating to the latest version, do you?

Directly made some more investigation since nobody is in the office and I can mess around a little bit via RDP from home.
Firstly replaced the current IER version with old 2.6.4.33, which I hold already unzipped. Then I timed, after Pmail starts, until IER menu was enabled ... and the result was: endless smile This cannot be.
Then I played a little bit with selecting mails (that they get the focus), opening of mails, etc. - and each time the menu was immediately enabled.

Finally it has been turned out, that the menu remains disabled until any email in my list view is selected. Please note that I start my Pmail session always in "list view" mode, where different mail folder are shown, but Pmail doesn't put the focus on any mail in the lists. Any of the shown folders have one mail marked in grey, but only when I click (not double click to open) on a mail, it is getting the real focus and becomes blue (or whatever your own Windows color scheme is). And in this moment the IER menu is available as well.

Then I put the current IER version in place again - with the same behaviour. As long as no mail has the focus, IER menu remains unavailable, but as soon as a mail has been selected in the list or opened, the menu is available.

Sorry for my "37 s duration post". Seems Pmail was just newly restarted and I've immediately checked the new IER version before focussing a mail.

From my point of view this is not a bug and doesn't matter anything.

Nice Sunday.

[quote=&quot;pid:53227, uid:2133&quot;]I would like to know, though, whether it&#039;s really caused by the version lookup or not, I guess you don&#039;t remember by any chance whether this could have been there before updating to the latest version, do you?[/quote] Directly made some more investigation since nobody is in the office and I can mess around a little bit via RDP from home. Firstly replaced the current IER version with old 2.6.4.33, which I hold already unzipped. Then I timed, after Pmail starts, until IER menu was enabled ... and the result was: endless (:| This cannot be. Then I played a little bit with selecting mails (that they get the focus), opening of mails, etc. - and each time the menu was immediately enabled. Finally it has been turned out, that the menu remains disabled until any email in my list view is selected. Please note that I start my Pmail session always in &quot;list view&quot; mode, where different mail folder are shown, but Pmail doesn&#039;t put the focus on any mail in the lists. Any of the shown folders have one mail marked in grey, but only when I click (not double click to open) on a mail, it is getting the real focus and becomes blue (or whatever your own Windows color scheme is). And in this moment the IER menu is available as well. Then I put the current IER version in place again - with the same behaviour. As long as no mail has the focus, IER menu remains unavailable, but as soon as a mail has been selected in the list or opened, the menu is available. Sorry for my &quot;37 s duration post&quot;. Seems Pmail was just newly restarted and I&#039;ve immediately checked the new IER version before focussing a mail. From my point of view this is not a bug and doesn&#039;t matter anything. Nice Sunday.
edited Jan 15 '22 at 8:18 pm

Then I put the current IER version in place again - with the same behaviour. As long as no mail has the focus, IER menu remains unavailable, but as soon as a mail has been selected in the list or opened, the menu is available.

Sorry for my "37 s duration post". Seems Pmail was just newly restarted and I've immediately checked the new IER version before focussing a mail.

From my point of view this is not a bug and doesn't matter anything.

That's perfectly ok since I can't do all testing of all situations myself because I simply don't know about all options other peoples might use. Since I'm using preview mode ever since I was almost sure I would have noticed any significant delay almost immediately as, e.g., I do on my old XP machine since on this one for whatever reason the preview doesn't automatically get the focus as it does on my Win 7 machine which drives me crazy when doing my maintenance work and testing of the PMPGP extension on XP. So that's familiar to me as well but definitely pretty inconvenient if you're repeating the same steps for testing over and over again ...
But I just did a "real life" update check while running the MS Network Monitor - and the result was (excluding DNS lookup): less than two seconds (maybe even less than one but it doesn't provide a higher resolution than to the second).

[quote=&quot;pid:53228, uid:3785&quot;]Then I put the current IER version in place again - with the same behaviour. As long as no mail has the focus, IER menu remains unavailable, but as soon as a mail has been selected in the list or opened, the menu is available. Sorry for my &quot;37 s duration post&quot;. Seems Pmail was just newly restarted and I&#039;ve immediately checked the new IER version before focussing a mail. From my point of view this is not a bug and doesn&#039;t matter anything.[/quote] That&#039;s perfectly ok since I can&#039;t do all testing of all situations myself because I simply don&#039;t know about all options other peoples might use. Since I&#039;m using preview mode ever since I was almost sure I would have noticed any significant delay almost immediately as, e.g., I do on my old XP machine since on this one for whatever reason the preview doesn&#039;t automatically get the focus as it does on my Win 7 machine which drives me crazy when doing my maintenance work and testing of the PMPGP extension on XP. So that&#039;s familiar to me as well but definitely pretty inconvenient if you&#039;re repeating the same steps for testing over and over again ... But I just did a &quot;real life&quot; update check while running the MS Network Monitor - and the result was (excluding DNS lookup): less than two seconds (maybe even less than one but it doesn&#039;t provide a higher resolution than to the second).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Update notification works fine.
Today I got the red exclamation mark and the menu entry for update with red point. smile

Update notification works fine. Today I got the red exclamation mark and the menu entry for update with red point. :)

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Feb 2 '22 at 4:12 pm

I am already running a v2.6.5.6 dated 12 June 2022. The IERendererSetup.exe file in the newly downloaded v2.6.5.6 is of different size and date. This is just an observation. I haven't installed it yet.

I am already running a v2.6.5.6 dated 12 June 2022. The IERendererSetup.exe file in the newly downloaded v2.6.5.6 is of different size and date. This is just an observation. I haven&#039;t installed it yet.

Installed! The current download is v2.6.5.7. The "Update IERenderer" option doesn't display the current history content though. This is what caused my version confusion. I am sure this is a timing issue that Michael will address.

Installed! The current download is v2.6.5.7. The &quot;Update IERenderer&quot; option doesn&#039;t display the current history content though. This is what caused my version confusion. I am sure this is a timing issue that Michael will address.

Installed! The current download is v2.6.5.7. The "Update IERenderer" option doesn't display the current history content though. This is what caused my version confusion. I am sure this is a timing issue that Michael will address.

Great to hear you got it: I held back the announcement to see whether anyone would notice for the first time without announcing. But I don't really understand what happend to the history file since I always upload both files via FTP at the same time (more or less, of course, since this is a "single thread upload" only) - always asking myself which one to upload first ... ;-) What I can't control, though, is what happens server-side ...

[quote=&quot;pid:53287, uid:28772&quot;]Installed! The current download is v2.6.5.7. The &quot;Update IERenderer&quot; option doesn&#039;t display the current history content though. This is what caused my version confusion. I am sure this is a timing issue that Michael will address.[/quote] Great to hear you got it: I held back the announcement to see whether anyone would notice for the first time without announcing. But I don&#039;t really understand what happend to the history file since I always upload both files via FTP at the same time (more or less, of course, since this is a &quot;single thread upload&quot; only) - always asking myself which one to upload first ... ;-) What I can&#039;t control, though, is what happens server-side ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

The "Update IERenderer" option doesn't display the current history content though.

Not sure what you mean, but in my case all was shown correctly with history file.
And I installed version 2.6.57 through the "Update IERenderer" Button without issues.

[quote=&quot;pid:53287, uid:28772&quot;]The &quot;Update IERenderer&quot; option doesn&#039;t display the current history content though.[/quote] Not sure what you mean, but in my case all was shown correctly with history file. And I installed version 2.6.57 through the &quot;Update IERenderer&quot; Button without issues.

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

I can also confirm the Exclamation mark and red dot in the IER menu in our multi-user network environment. I see it the first time. Good job.
Clicking on "Update IERenderer" is opening the browser showing Michael's Version History Page.

Only one very small cosmetics bug: When hoovering about Pmail buttons in the upper icon bar, the "flat" buttons will be "raised" a little bit for a 3D effect on "mouseover". But the alternative IER button (with exclamation mark) is being raised very shortly for a part of a second only.

I can also confirm the Exclamation mark and red dot in the IER menu in our multi-user network environment. I see it the first time. Good job. Clicking on &quot;Update IERenderer&quot; is opening the browser showing Michael&#039;s Version History Page. Only one very small cosmetics bug: When hoovering about Pmail buttons in the upper icon bar, the &quot;flat&quot; buttons will be &quot;raised&quot; a little bit for a 3D effect on &quot;mouseover&quot;. But the alternative IER button (with exclamation mark) is being raised very shortly for a part of a second only.
edited Feb 3 '22 at 7:20 am

Only one very small cosmetics bug: When hoovering about Pmail buttons in the upper icon bar, the "flat" buttons will be "raised" a little bit for a 3D effect on "mouseover". But the alternative IER button (with exclamation mark) is being raised very shortly for a part of a second only.

The never ending story: You can either have the popup showing the proper update contents or the raised button in sync with the other ones: Using Pegasus Mail's built-in API I simply can't display the update information you've seen now so I had to apply another one of my "hacks" at the cost of this little design issue, please forgive :-/

[quote=&quot;pid:53295, uid:3785&quot;]Only one very small cosmetics bug: When hoovering about Pmail buttons in the upper icon bar, the &quot;flat&quot; buttons will be &quot;raised&quot; a little bit for a 3D effect on &quot;mouseover&quot;. But the alternative IER button (with exclamation mark) is being raised very shortly for a part of a second only.[/quote] The never ending story: You can either have the popup showing the proper update contents or the raised button in sync with the other ones: Using Pegasus Mail&#039;s built-in API I simply can&#039;t display the update information you&#039;ve seen now so I had to apply another one of my &quot;hacks&quot; at the cost of this little design issue, please forgive :-/
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Using Pegasus Mail's built-in API I simply can't display the update information you've seen now so I had to apply another one of my "hacks" at the cost of this little design issue, please forgive :-/

No problem for me, Michael. And sorry in case this little design issue has already been announced in past. We users have a very bad short-time memory in our heads. smile

[quote=&quot;pid:53296, uid:2133&quot;]Using Pegasus Mail&#039;s built-in API I simply can&#039;t display the update information you&#039;ve seen now so I had to apply another one of my &quot;hacks&quot; at the cost of this little design issue, please forgive :-/[/quote] No problem for me, Michael. And sorry in case this little design issue has already been announced in past. We users have a very bad short-time memory in our heads. :S

No problem for me, Michael. And sorry in case this little design issue has already been announced in past. We users have a very bad short-time memory in our heads.

No, it hasn't been reported in the past, the point is that I certainly can't make it right for everyone ...

[quote=&quot;pid:53297, uid:3785&quot;]No problem for me, Michael. And sorry in case this little design issue has already been announced in past. We users have a very bad short-time memory in our heads.[/quote] No, it hasn&#039;t been reported in the past, the point is that I certainly can&#039;t make it right for everyone ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft