Community Discussions and Support
v4.80 spell checker is broken for user added words

I have just discovered that the v4.80 spell checker is broken for user added words. Those words are supposed to be stored in USRDICT5.PMD but that file gets emptied each time the spell checker is invoked.

Edit: Han has notified David Harris about this.

I have just discovered that the v4.80 spell checker is broken for user added words. Those words are supposed to be stored in USRDICT5.PMD but that file gets emptied each time the spell checker is invoked. Edit: Han has notified David Harris about this.
edited Mar 4 '22 at 6:16 pm

I just came here to see if anyone else had noticed this issue.

I just came here to see if anyone else had noticed this issue.

The latest news on this is that David Harris has identified the accidental creation of a new, blank USRDICT5.PMD file between session. It will be fixed in v4.81.

The latest news on this is that David Harris has identified the accidental creation of a new, blank USRDICT5.PMD file between session. It will be fixed in v4.81.

A workaround has been found that will allow the spellchecker to recognize previously saved words. This can be accomplished by restoring a copy of USRDICT5.PMD from prior to the v4.80 upgrade and marking it as read-only. New words can not be added but recognition of previously saved words is helpful. Credit goes to to Michael D. Setzer II and Bernie Cosell who posted this workaround almost simultaneously on the PMAIL and PM-WIN listserv lists.

A workaround has been found that will allow the spellchecker to recognize previously saved words. This can be accomplished by restoring a copy of USRDICT5.PMD from prior to the v4.80 upgrade and marking it as read-only. New words can not be added but recognition of previously saved words is helpful. Credit goes to to Michael D. Setzer II and Bernie Cosell who posted this workaround almost simultaneously on the PMAIL and PM-WIN listserv lists.

Question If we use a copy of USRDICT5.PMD from prior to the v4.80 upgrade and marking it as read-only, will be have to do anything special when v4.81 comes out? thnx

Question If we use a copy of USRDICT5.PMD from prior to the v4.80 upgrade and marking it as read-only, will be have to do anything special when v4.81 comes out? thnx

My thinking is that once upgraded to v4.81, turning off the read-only flag on USRDICT5.PMD will be all that is needed for it to become functional again.

My thinking is that once upgraded to v4.81, turning off the read-only flag on USRDICT5.PMD will be all that is needed for it to become functional again.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft