Community Discussions and Support
How do we save ALL settings when Pegasus closes?

I'm talking about things like printing just the first page of an mail, searching, etc. And is there a way that the developers could make the date columns of messages auto-expand, so we don't have to keep swiping right to show them?

I'm talking about things like printing just the first page of an mail, searching, etc. And is there a way that the developers could make the date columns of messages auto-expand, so we don't have to keep swiping right to show them?

I'm talking about things like printing just the first page of an mail, searching, etc
Printing and searching are Windows functions. If you want your printing to default to printing just page 1 you need to set your printer preferences accordingly (in Windows). I don't know of a way to set default search parameters but maybe someone else does.

And is there a way that the developers could make the date columns of messages auto-expand, so we don't have to keep swiping right to show them?
I hope not. I don't want any auto-expanding columns. The control we have over them now is great because it stays were you set it, at least it should. In List mode, each folder window view is specific to its folder. Expanding it in one won't expand it in the rest. In Preview mode the column width should stick.
Details about whether you run in List or Preview mode and specifics about the behavior you see that is different from what is described above would help.

[quote="pid:53651, uid:32326"]I'm talking about things like printing just the first page of an mail, searching, etc[/quote] Printing and searching are Windows functions. If you want your printing to default to printing just page 1 you need to set your printer preferences accordingly (in Windows). I don't know of a way to set default search parameters but maybe someone else does. [quote="pid:53651, uid:32326"]And is there a way that the developers could make the date columns of messages auto-expand, so we don't have to keep swiping right to show them?[/quote] I hope not. I don't want any auto-expanding columns. The control we have over them now is great because it stays were you set it, at least it should. In List mode, each folder window view is specific to its folder. Expanding it in one won't expand it in the rest. In Preview mode the column width should stick. Details about whether you run in List or Preview mode and specifics about the behavior you see that is different from what is described above would help.

But it doesn't save column sizes that I set. I do a search and the resulting dates are pinched so I cant see them. I pull 4-5 times to expand them so I can, but if I close pmail and open it again, they're pinched again.

But it doesn't save column sizes that I set. I do a search and the resulting dates are pinched so I cant see them. I pull 4-5 times to expand them so I can, but if I close pmail and open it again, they're pinched again.

Details would have been helpful, specifically whether you are using List or Preview mode and whether the problem is specific to recent search results folders. That said, I have done some testing and can confirm that a Date/Time column width change in a recent search results folder does not stick when running Preview mode. I does stick when running List mode or when opened in its own window. In my tests, it appears that only the Date/Time column is affected. Other stretched columns retained their width between sessions.

Someone please confirm this behavior and report it to David if you have the means.

Melissa, all I can suggest is to open a recent search results folder in its own window then stretch the column widths to the sizes you want. Taking advantage of that will require opening recent search results folders in their own window until there is a fix or someone figures out the problem.

Details would have been helpful, specifically whether you are using List or Preview mode and whether the problem is specific to recent search results folders. That said, I have done some testing and can confirm that a Date/Time column width change in a recent search results folder does not stick when running Preview mode. I does stick when running List mode or when opened in its own window. In my tests, it appears that only the Date/Time column is affected. Other stretched columns retained their width between sessions. Someone please confirm this behavior and report it to David if you have the means. Melissa, all I can suggest is to open a recent search results folder in its own window then stretch the column widths to the sizes you want. Taking advantage of that will require opening recent search results folders in their own window until there is a fix or someone figures out the problem.

Yes, I use preview mode, thanks. Well I'm glad it will be reported now. I've been dealing with it for so many years. It would also be nice not to have to pull that date column out several times, to see it - if we could just drag it all the way in one swoop. Thanks guys!

Yes, I use preview mode, thanks. Well I'm glad it will be reported now. I've been dealing with it for so many years. It would also be nice not to have to pull that date column out several times, to see it - if we could just drag it all the way in one swoop. Thanks guys!

Yes, I use preview mode, thanks. Well I'm glad it will be reported now.

Well no, it's not done yet because I can't duplicate any of it although I'm using preview mode almost exclusively including search folders. What's your option on Tools => Options => Preview mode settings => Remember and apply each folder's sorting mode separately? Maybe this has an impact on it? Maybe you need to close the preview window once in a while for saving your changes in case you never close Pegasus Mail until it crashes or a system reboot prevents it from saving them? Did you ensure to install Pegasus Mail outside of any of the system's \program files\ directories and take care to keep mail folders in locations with unrestricted read/wite access and no AV activities on them?

[quote="pid:53705, uid:32326"]Yes, I use preview mode, thanks. Well I'm glad it will be reported now.[/quote] Well no, it's not done yet because I can't duplicate any of it although I'm using preview mode almost exclusively including search folders. What's your option on _Tools => Options => Preview mode settings => Remember and apply each folder's sorting mode separately_? Maybe this has an impact on it? Maybe you need to close the preview window once in a while for saving your changes in case you never close Pegasus Mail until it crashes or a system reboot prevents it from saving them? Did you ensure to install Pegasus Mail outside of any of the system's \program files\ directories and take care to keep mail folders in locations with unrestricted read/wite access and no AV activities on them?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Apr 12 '22 at 10:48 pm

Michael, none of your questions/concerns are applicable. I can duplicate it at will. It may not be apparent when using small fonts in the list of messages pane. That might explain why you don't notice it. I am using MS Sans Serif 16. The problem is specific to recent search results folders. Best I can tell, they use fixed column widths. Width adjustments during a session will stick for that session only. Also, the stretch behavior of the Date column is odd. It will only stretch about 3 characters at a time.
Here are my testing steps:

• Disable the 'delete search results on exit" setting
  • Ensure the 'save desktop state' option is enabled
  • All options in Tools => Options => Preview mode settings are enabled
  • If in List mode, switch to Preview mode (I normally run in List mode)
  • Do a search
  • Select the resulting search results folder
  • Stretch the Date column width in the list of messages pane
  • Switch a different folder then back to the search results folder to confirm the new width is still there
  • Close/open Pegasus Mail
  • Select the search results folder to see the date column back to its narrow state

You are welcome to contact me off-forum.

Michael, none of your questions/concerns are applicable. I can duplicate it at will. It may not be apparent when using small fonts in the list of messages pane. That might explain why you don't notice it. I am using MS Sans Serif 16. The problem is specific to recent search results folders. Best I can tell, they use fixed column widths. Width adjustments during a session will stick for that session only. Also, the stretch behavior of the Date column is odd. It will only stretch about 3 characters at a time. Here are my testing steps: - Disable the 'delete search results on exit" setting - Ensure the 'save desktop state' option is enabled - All options in Tools => Options => Preview mode settings are enabled - If in List mode, switch to Preview mode (I normally run in List mode) - Do a search - Select the resulting search results folder - Stretch the Date column width in the list of messages pane - Switch a different folder then back to the search results folder to confirm the new width is still there - Close/open Pegasus Mail - Select the search results folder to see the date column back to its narrow state You are welcome to contact me off-forum.

You are welcome to contact me off-forum.

Not necessary, Brian, but you certainly understand that I cannot approach David without the details for duplicating, especially the font size dependency since most people would never change any UI fonts after doing it once for all when starting to use Pegasus Mail (neither would I, hence my need for an explanation; I'm using Segoe UI 16, BTW).

For now I can only say that it's very unlikely he would act upon this for the next release because it's required to provide the OAuth2 solution for Ggl users which he's still almost exclusively busy with. That's actually also the reason for not providing another interim release solving the post-release issues of v4.8 prior to this.

Since there are more issues like the one reported in this thread I can imagine he might be willing to provide another 4.8x release after issuing the OAuth2 solution, though, but I certainly cannot make any promises. v5 will come with a completely new mail folder concept which will allow for more customizing, but since there hasn't been any preview yet I don't know about any details.

[quote="pid:53711, uid:27894"]You are welcome to contact me off-forum.[/quote] Not necessary, Brian, but you certainly understand that I cannot approach David without the details for duplicating, especially the font size dependency since most people would never change any UI fonts after doing it once for all when starting to use Pegasus Mail (neither would I, hence my need for an explanation; I'm using Segoe UI 16, BTW). For now I can only say that it's very unlikely he would act upon this for the next release because it's required to provide the OAuth2 solution for Ggl users which he's still almost exclusively busy with. That's actually also the reason for not providing another interim release solving the post-release issues of v4.8 prior to this. Since there are more issues like the one reported in this thread I can imagine he might be willing to provide another 4.8x release after issuing the OAuth2 solution, though, but I certainly cannot make any promises. v5 will come with a completely new mail folder concept which will allow for more customizing, but since there hasn't been any preview yet I don't know about any details.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Another thing happening, since switching to the Windows 10 PC: I set the icon to open maximized, then copied it to the taskbar tray. But when I come back to Pegasus after being in other programs, it reduces to a window that's about half screen size - instead of staying maximized.

Another thing happening, since switching to the Windows 10 PC: I set the icon to open maximized, then copied it to the taskbar tray. But when I come back to Pegasus after being in other programs, it reduces to a window that's about half screen size - instead of staying maximized.
edited Apr 30 '22 at 6:16 pm

To summarize, modified column widths in the message list pane of Preview mode do not stick between sessions for search results folders. This can be duplicated. There isn't a configuration open that will fix this. Hopefully it will be fixed in v5.

Two workarounds have been identified.

1. Change the font to one that is smaller or more compact. Segoe UI 16 allows for the entire date/time content to fit in the column. It is too small for me on my hi-res monitor. Hopefully it will work for others.
  2. Always open search results folders in their own window. Modified column widths stick in that window. It defeats the purpose of running in Preview mode but if being able to identify a search result based on date is paramount then this may work.

To summarize, modified column widths in the message list pane of Preview mode do not stick between sessions for search results folders. This can be duplicated. There isn't a configuration open that will fix this. Hopefully it will be fixed in v5. Two workarounds have been identified. 1. Change the font to one that is smaller or more compact. Segoe UI 16 allows for the entire date/time content to fit in the column. It is too small for me on my hi-res monitor. Hopefully it will work for others. 2. Always open search results folders in their own window. Modified column widths stick in that window. It defeats the purpose of running in Preview mode but if being able to identify a search result based on date is paramount then this may work.

__

I can't duplicate this. What I know is that Pegasus Mail maintains window sizes internally and that running it maximized is not recommended because child window sizes and positions do not get saved. If you want Pegasus Mail at full screen it is better to run it windowed but stretched to full screen. That said, if you must run it maximized try this.

• Set the shortcut back to normal window
  • Open Pegasus Mail
  • Make sure its "Save desktop state between sessions" option is enabled.Tools > Options > General settings > Basic settings
  • Maximize its main window.
  • Close Pegasus Mail.

It should now open maximized and stay the way. If it doesn't, i suggest starting a new discussion since this one became extensively about the search results column widths. Provide detail like how you change windows (Alt+Tab, taskbar mouse click, Taskview button, Switch between windows button), the size and position of the smaller window (is it always the same, does it appear snapped to one side of the screen), and anything else you can think of that might provide a clue.

__[quote="pid:53716, uid:32326"]Another thing happening, since switching to the Windows 10 PC: I set the icon to open maximized, then copied it to the taskbar tray. But when I come back to Pegasus after being in other programs, it reduces to a window that's about half screen size - instead of staying maximized.[/quote] I can't duplicate this. What I know is that Pegasus Mail maintains window sizes internally and that running it maximized is not recommended because child window sizes and positions do not get saved. If you want Pegasus Mail at full screen it is better to run it windowed but stretched to full screen. That said, if you must run it maximized try this. - Set the shortcut back to normal window - Open Pegasus Mail - Make sure its "Save desktop state between sessions" option is enabled. _Tools > Options > General settings > Basic settings_ - Maximize its main window. - Close Pegasus Mail. It should now open maximized and stay the way. If it doesn't, i suggest starting a new discussion since this one became extensively about the search results column widths. Provide detail like how you change windows (Alt+Tab, taskbar mouse click, Taskview button, Switch between windows button), the size and position of the smaller window (is it always the same, does it appear snapped to one side of the screen), and anything else you can think of that might provide a clue.

I can't duplicate this.

This sounds pretty much like a typical Windows 10 issue: Prior to it it was pretty easy to open two Explorer Windows and then select them to be positioned next to each other using the taskbar context menu so each would get half the screen size. Doing this on a native Windows 10 desktop will do something completely different unless installing certain configurable tools. And yes, this should be discussed in a separate thread.

[quote="pid:53718, uid:27894"]I can't duplicate this.[/quote] This sounds pretty much like a typical Windows 10 issue: Prior to it it was pretty easy to open two Explorer Windows and then select them to be positioned next to each other using the taskbar context menu so each would get half the screen size. Doing this on a native Windows 10 desktop will do something completely different unless installing certain configurable tools. And yes, this should be discussed in a separate thread.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Apr 13 '22 at 10:44 pm

UPDATE 4-30-22: This is making me crazy. I start Pmail maximized, and when I come back to it from another program, it's taking up only half the screen area! I pull the window to the top, bottom and sides, and it does it again later, anyway!

And I keep the window open all the time, because of all the settings it doesn't save if I close it.

UPDATE 4-30-22: This is making me crazy. I start Pmail maximized, and when I come back to it from another program, it's taking up only half the screen area! I pull the window to the top, bottom and sides, and it does it again later, anyway! And I keep the window open all the time, because of all the settings it doesn't save if I close it.

I start Pmail maximized, and when I come back to it from another program, it's taking up only half the screen area! I pull the window to the top, bottom and sides, and it does it again later, anyway!

I don't have a solution. What you are experiencing is not normal and I am not aware of anything within Pegasus Mail that will fix it. How are you switching programs? Do you intentionally minimize Pegasus Mail? Do you switch programs with Alt-Tab or click a taskbar item or using taskview?

I am also curious about your "all of the settings it doesn't save" comment. The only setting you have specifically mentioned is column widths in search results folders.

[quote="pid:53789, uid:32326"]I start Pmail maximized, and when I come back to it from another program, it's taking up only half the screen area! I pull the window to the top, bottom and sides, and it does it again later, anyway![/quote] I don't have a solution. What you are experiencing is not normal and I am not aware of anything within Pegasus Mail that will fix it. How are you switching programs? Do you intentionally minimize Pegasus Mail? Do you switch programs with Alt-Tab or click a taskbar item or using taskview? I am also curious about your "all of the settings it doesn't save" comment. The only setting you have specifically mentioned is column widths in search results folders.

OK, first of all, I made sure that my desktop icon is set to run maximized. THEN I pulled it it into the lower left task bar, to set a small icon there. When I open that, it's not maximized. The new mail folder is open, but less than maximized, like I had it when I close Pmail before. I click to maximize it. Then when I go use Chrome, for example, and go back to Pmail again, the window is half the screen size.

OK, first of all, I made sure that my desktop icon is set to run maximized. THEN I pulled it it into the lower left task bar, to set a small icon there. When I open that, it's not maximized. The new mail folder is open, but less than maximized, like I had it when I close Pmail before. I click to maximize it. Then when I go use Chrome, for example, and go back to Pmail again, the window is half the screen size.

There are too many ways to switch applications for us to try to offer advise without the details of what steps you take (mouse clicks and keystrokes) from when you have Pegasus Mail open to the point when you return to it after using Chrome.

Is there any chance that you are hitting the Windows key+Left arrow key combination and snapping Pegasus Mail to the left?

Have you tried running Pegasus Mail stretched to full screen instead of maximized to see if the behavior is different?

Is the save desktop state option enabled in Pegasus Mail?

There are too many ways to switch applications for us to try to offer advise without the details of what steps you take (mouse clicks and keystrokes) from when you have Pegasus Mail open to the point when you return to it after using Chrome. Is there any chance that you are hitting the Windows key+Left arrow key combination and snapping Pegasus Mail to the left? Have you tried running Pegasus Mail stretched to full screen instead of maximized to see if the behavior is different? Is the save desktop state option enabled in Pegasus Mail?

Oh, the search folders settings also arent saved between sessions, which is part of why I keep PMail open all the time.

Oh, the search folders settings also arent saved between sessions, which is part of why I keep PMail open all the time.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft