Community Discussions and Support
Sky Broadband and Pegasus Mail

I have just changed my broadband provider from Plusnet to Sky and cannot now send emails, although I can still receive them (through mail.plus.net). I have changed my SMTP setting in Tools / Internet options / Sending (SMPT) to smtp.tools.sky.com on port 587, which I see is the SMTP for Sky, but I am still getting the folloowing error message:
11:13:47.881: --- 25 Apr 2022, 11:13:47.881 ---
11:13:47.881: Connect to 'smtp.tools.sky.com', timeout 30 seconds.
11:13:48.884: >> 220 smtp.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP ready
11:13:48.884: << EHLO [192.168.0.2]
11:13:48.890: >> 250-hermes--canary-production-ir2-5765c589f6-99bvh Hello [192.168.0.2] [94.195.219.35])
11:13:48.890: >> 250-PIPELINING
11:13:48.890: >> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
11:13:48.890: >> 250-8BITMIME
11:13:48.890: >> 250-SIZE 41697280
11:13:48.890: >> 250 STARTTLS
11:13:48.906: << MAIL FROM:chris@g4bue.com SIZE=3823
11:13:48.953: >> 554 Email rejected

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

I have just changed my broadband provider from Plusnet to Sky and cannot now send emails, although I can still receive them (through mail.plus.net). I have changed my SMTP setting in Tools / Internet options / Sending (SMPT) to smtp.tools.sky.com on port 587, which I see is the SMTP for Sky, but I am still getting the folloowing error message: 11:13:47.881: --- 25 Apr 2022, 11:13:47.881 --- 11:13:47.881: Connect to &#039;smtp.tools.sky.com&#039;, timeout 30 seconds. 11:13:48.884: &gt;&gt; 220 smtp.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP ready 11:13:48.884: &lt;&lt; EHLO [192.168.0.2] 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250-hermes--canary-production-ir2-5765c589f6-99bvh Hello [192.168.0.2] [94.195.219.35]) 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250-PIPELINING 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250-8BITMIME 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250-SIZE 41697280 11:13:48.890: &gt;&gt; 250 STARTTLS 11:13:48.906: &lt;&lt; MAIL FROM:&lt;chris@g4bue.com&gt; SIZE=3823 11:13:48.953: &gt;&gt; 554 Email rejected Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

If g4bue.com is a Plusnet address then it is likely that Sky does not allow relaying so is requiring that the sending address be a Sky domain. It is common that when you have an email account hosted by an ISP that when you cancel that ISP your email account gets closed so you must change to an email account hosted by your new ISP. My internet search found mentions of an email-only Plusnet service. If you have that then I believe you would still use Plusnet SMTP for sending.

If g4bue.com is a Plusnet address then it is likely that Sky does not allow relaying so is requiring that the sending address be a Sky domain. It is common that when you have an email account hosted by an ISP that when you cancel that ISP your email account gets closed so you must change to an email account hosted by your new ISP. My internet search found mentions of an email-only Plusnet service. If you have that then I believe you would still use Plusnet SMTP for sending.

What do you have set under settings for sending mail (SMTP).
I have checked login with SMTP userid and password.

Didn't see any login info in your log. Usually, if you are on a local network, it isn't required to login, but if connected from a non-local network, it generally requires the smtp authentication of some type.

What do you have set under settings for sending mail (SMTP). I have checked login with SMTP userid and password. Didn&#039;t see any login info in your log. Usually, if you are on a local network, it isn&#039;t required to login, but if connected from a non-local network, it generally requires the smtp authentication of some type.

mikes@guam.net

Thanks for your reply, Brian. g4bue.com is not a Plusnet address, g4bue.com is my own domain for my website. I will get in touch with Sky this morning and ask them what you say about allowing relaying, etc, and report back here.

Thanks for your reply, msetzeri. My settings for sending email are:

Name: Sky
Server host name: smtp.tools.sky.com
TCP/IP port: 587
Timeout: 30 seconds

Neither of the two boxes below (alternate email address and use domain name) are checked.

There is no facility to log into Sky (or indeed with Plusnet) when sending email via SMTP, only when receiving email through POP3.

Thanks again for any further advice and help, Chris

Thanks for your reply, Brian. g4bue.com is not a Plusnet address, g4bue.com is my own domain for my website. I will get in touch with Sky this morning and ask them what you say about allowing relaying, etc, and report back here. Thanks for your reply, msetzeri. My settings for sending email are: Name: Sky Server host name: smtp.tools.sky.com TCP/IP port: 587 Timeout: 30 seconds Neither of the two boxes below (alternate email address and use domain name) are checked. There is no facility to log into Sky (or indeed with Plusnet) when sending email via SMTP, only when receiving email through POP3. Thanks again for any further advice and help, Chris

You need to click on the Security Tab to the Right of the General tab.
It will then show a list of options.
In middle it shows SMTP Authentication

Options are.
Do a prior POP3 login to authorize

Login to the SMTP server user following details.

Login to the SMTP server using a POP3

Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication

I use the second option with userid and password.

You need to click on the Security Tab to the Right of the General tab. It will then show a list of options. In middle it shows SMTP Authentication Options are. Do a prior POP3 login to authorize **Login to the SMTP server user following details.** Login to the SMTP server using a POP3 Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication I use the second option with userid and password.

mikes@guam.net

This morning, I posted the following on the Email Forum at Sky Community:

"I have just transferred to Sky from Plusnet and cannot send or receive emails using Pegasus, a dedicated email program for Windows, on my desktop computer. There appear to be two issues:

"1. My email address is with my own domain with Easily and at present they forward emails addressed to anything at that domain address to Plusnet. I need to change that setting so they are forwarded to Sky, but none of the three people I spoke to in the Sky Technical Dept this morning can tell me what my Sky address is to forward them to. I have been on the telephone to Sky almost all morning.

"2. I need to change the POP3 and SMTP settings in Pegasus. Whereas I have found the Sky SMPT setting is smtp.tools.sky.com on port 587, I still cannot send emails. The error trail I receive is showing my email address is being rejected.

"I found the POP3 setting is pop.tools.sky.com, but Pegasus requires me to enter a user name and password for it. At the moment I am showing the Plusnet user name and password, but need to change it to the Sky ones but again, none of the three people I spoke to this morning can tell me what it is. I have tried using my Sky ID and password, but that does not work.

"Please don't suggest I use a different email program to Pegasus. I have been using the program since 2002 and, in addition to having all my important emails since then, I use its system of files and folders for my complete filing system on my computer.

"I posted a similar message to this on the Pegasus Users Forum, and someone suggested it is likely that Sky does not allow email relaying so is requiring that the sending address be a Sky domain but again, none of the people I spoke to this morning could tell me if that is the case!

"I regret to say that I am very surprised at the general lack of knowledge of the Sky Technical Dept staff I spoke to this morning, one of them did not even know what POP3 or SMTP was! Therefore, this forum is my last chance to try and get my emails working with Sky, and so I really appreciate any help and advice, please - thanks."

I received the following reply:

"Unfortunately you are going to be very disappointed by this reply. Sky no longer give you an email address when you join, so you can do none of the things you are trying to do. You will need to get an alternative email address on Gmail or Outlook. (to name just 2 possibilities). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news."

Why couldn't one of the three people I spoke to in the Sky Technical Dept this morning have told me that? I wasn't impressed due to the lack of knowledge that any of them had, on e didn't even know what POP3 and SMTP was!

I am now looking to cancel my subsciption with Sky and go to another provider, after checking they will enable me to use their POP£ and SMTP servers to send and receive my emails through Pegasus!

Thanks again to both Brian and msetzerii for their help this morning.

This morning, I posted the following on the Email Forum at Sky Community: &quot;I have just transferred to Sky from Plusnet and cannot send or receive emails using Pegasus, a dedicated email program for Windows, on my desktop computer. There appear to be two issues: &quot;1. My email address is with my own domain with Easily and at present they forward emails addressed to anything at that domain address to Plusnet. I need to change that setting so they are forwarded to Sky, but none of the three people I spoke to in the Sky Technical Dept this morning can tell me what my Sky address is to forward them to. I have been on the telephone to Sky almost all morning. &quot;2. I need to change the POP3 and SMTP settings in Pegasus. Whereas I have found the Sky SMPT setting is smtp.tools.sky.com on port 587, I still cannot send emails. The error trail I receive is showing my email address is being rejected. &quot;I found the POP3 setting is pop.tools.sky.com, but Pegasus requires me to enter a user name and password for it. At the moment I am showing the Plusnet user name and password, but need to change it to the Sky ones but again, none of the three people I spoke to this morning can tell me what it is. I have tried using my Sky ID and password, but that does not work. &quot;Please don&#039;t suggest I use a different email program to Pegasus. I have been using the program since 2002 and, in addition to having all my important emails since then, I use its system of files and folders for my complete filing system on my computer. &quot;I posted a similar message to this on the Pegasus Users Forum, and someone suggested it is likely that Sky does not allow email relaying so is requiring that the sending address be a Sky domain but again, none of the people I spoke to this morning could tell me if that is the case! &quot;I regret to say that I am very surprised at the general lack of knowledge of the Sky Technical Dept staff I spoke to this morning, one of them did not even know what POP3 or SMTP was! Therefore, this forum is my last chance to try and get my emails working with Sky, and so I really appreciate any help and advice, please - thanks.&quot; I received the following reply: &quot;Unfortunately you are going to be very disappointed by this reply. Sky no longer give you an email address when you join, so you can do none of the things you are trying to do. You will need to get an alternative email address on Gmail or Outlook. (to name just 2 possibilities). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.&quot; Why couldn&#039;t one of the three people I spoke to in the Sky Technical Dept this morning have told me that? I wasn&#039;t impressed due to the lack of knowledge that any of them had, on e didn&#039;t even know what POP3 and SMTP was! I am now looking to cancel my subsciption with Sky and go to another provider, after checking they will enable me to use their POP&pound; and SMTP servers to send and receive my emails through Pegasus! Thanks again to both Brian and msetzerii for their help this morning.

Thanks msetzerii, but I cannot see the Security Tab you mention. Can you describe how to find it, please? Thanks.

Thanks msetzerii, but I cannot see the Security Tab you mention. Can you describe how to find it, please? Thanks.

Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options
Click on the Sending (SMTP) Tab 3rd from left at top
Click on Edit button on Right 2nd one.
That will shows the settings for sending mail (SMTP)
At the top it shows two tabs General and Security.
Click on the Security Tab
This has two boxes
Top one is SSL/TLS settings
Bottom one is SMTP Authentication.
For me, I use the 2nd option to login using SMTP userid and Password.

Have this setup for both my local ISP and my GMAIL account.

Both the SSL/TLS and SMTP authentication need to be correct
for it to work.
Would be interesting to know what it currently shows.
Sometimes just trying options to find what works.
Can email me at mikes@guam.net and can send images if you need.

Click on Tools Click on Internet Options Click on the Sending (SMTP) Tab 3rd from left at top Click on Edit button on Right 2nd one. That will shows the settings for sending mail (SMTP) At the top it shows two tabs General and Security. Click on the Security Tab This has two boxes Top one is SSL/TLS settings Bottom one is SMTP Authentication. For me, I use the 2nd option to login using SMTP userid and Password. Have this setup for both my local ISP and my GMAIL account. Both the SSL/TLS and SMTP authentication need to be correct for it to work. Would be interesting to know what it currently shows. Sometimes just trying options to find what works. Can email me at mikes@guam.net and can send images if you need.

mikes@guam.net

Thanks again msetzerii for your very helpful email. I have found the security tab and done what you suggest, but still cannot get it to work. I will have a play with the other options, as you suggest, and come back to you. Thanks again.

Thanks again msetzerii for your very helpful email. I have found the security tab and done what you suggest, but still cannot get it to work. I will have a play with the other options, as you suggest, and come back to you. Thanks again.

Think you will have to have it create TCPLog files for each option, and see what it reports.
From my understanding, username sometimes includes the domain, and sometimes doesn't.
With gmail and my ISP they wanted the userid@domain, but some just want the userid without the @ and domain?

Think you will have to have it create TCPLog files for each option, and see what it reports. From my understanding, username sometimes includes the domain, and sometimes doesn&#039;t. With gmail and my ISP they wanted the userid@domain, but some just want the userid without the @ and domain?

mikes@guam.net

Based on this discussion: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Email/What-SMTP-settings-to-use/td-p/3974993

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Your username is your full Sky email address with the @Sky.com part.
Regarding password, everything I have found indicates the Sky uses Yahoo which requires that you use an app password generated by them. Information about that is here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/problems-accessing-sky-mail-from-your-email-app

They sure don't want you using an email client, pushing a limited selection of email apps instead. I hope you eventually figure out which hoops to jump through to get it working.

Based on this discussion: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Email/What-SMTP-settings-to-use/td-p/3974993 Server - smtp.tools.sky.com Port - 465 Requires SSL - Yes Requires authentication - Yes Your username is your full Sky email address with the @Sky.com part. Regarding password, everything I have found indicates the Sky uses Yahoo which requires that you use an app password generated by them. Information about that is here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/problems-accessing-sky-mail-from-your-email-app They sure don&#039;t want you using an email client, pushing a limited selection of email apps instead. I hope you eventually figure out which hoops to jump through to get it working.

A SUCCESS STORY

Thanks again to Brian and msetzerii for their help, but I have now solved the problem a completely different way, that is enabling me to stay with Sky as my ISP. The Sky Forum confirmed they stopped giving new email addresses several years ago so I cannot get a @sky email address. That in turn means I cannot use the Sky POP3 and SMTP servers.

One of the members on the Sky Forum suggested I use the POP3 and SMTP servers of the company (Easily) where I bought my g4bue.com domain. I have just set my domain and email to use their POP3 and SMTP servers to retrieve and send email, and it is now working fine. In fact, that is a much better way of doing it because as long as I have access to the internet, I can retrieve and send emails whatever router and ISP I am using, whereas my previous system depended on my using Plusnet as the ISP. I was very grateful for the suggestion, and mention it here in case others using their own domain as their email address have a similar problem with Sky (or I understand with Vodaphone who have also stopped giving new email addresses), but why didn't one of the three "technical experts" at Sky suggest I did that? Or, more importantly, why didn't I think of doing it?!

A SUCCESS STORY Thanks again to Brian and msetzerii for their help, but I have now solved the problem a completely different way, that is enabling me to stay with Sky as my ISP. The Sky Forum confirmed they stopped giving new email addresses several years ago so I cannot get a @sky email address. That in turn means I cannot use the Sky POP3 and SMTP servers. One of the members on the Sky Forum suggested I use the POP3 and SMTP servers of the company (Easily) where I bought my g4bue.com domain. I have just set my domain and email to use their POP3 and SMTP servers to retrieve and send email, and it is now working fine. In fact, that is a much better way of doing it because as long as I have access to the internet, I can retrieve and send emails whatever router and ISP I am using, whereas my previous system depended on my using Plusnet as the ISP. I was very grateful for the suggestion, and mention it here in case others using their own domain as their email address have a similar problem with Sky (or I understand with Vodaphone who have also stopped giving new email addresses), but why didn&#039;t one of the three &quot;technical experts&quot; at Sky suggest I did that? Or, more importantly, why didn&#039;t I think of doing it?!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft