Community Discussions and Support
Spamhalter and mercury

I use Spamhalter for round ten years. And after the update to Mercury 4.8 it doesn't work no more. As always - I didn't change a thing. Any ideas?
It starts up and tells "Spamhalter is running" - but obviously it doesn't work.

I use Spamhalter for round ten years. And after the update to Mercury 4.8 it doesn't work no more. As always - I didn't change a thing. Any ideas? It starts up and tells "Spamhalter is running" - but obviously it doesn't work.

Below is a snippet posted by Joerg in a previous discussion that appears relevant. This is the URL to that discussion: https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11479/mercury-4-90-has-been-released-by-david

But I'm also a little bit confused about incorporated update of Spamhalter, which we are using since years as well. During the update Spamhalter has replaced the names of our defined "is_spam" and "no_spam" accounts, which are intended for user triggered database learning purposes (missed spam / false positives), with any standard account names.
Further the message tagging by Spamhalter has been changed. The header now reads X-SPAMWALL instead of X-SPAMHALTER. But our Mercury filter routine is searching for X-SPAMHALTER when sorting out spam.
And finally Spamhalter checkbox "SPAM filtering is enabled" was disabled after the Mercury update.
After changing the settings back to our own values, the spam filtering works again.

Below is a snippet posted by Joerg in a previous discussion that appears relevant. This is the URL to that discussion: https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11479/mercury-4-90-has-been-released-by-david _But I'm also a little bit confused about incorporated update of Spamhalter, which we are using since years as well. During the update Spamhalter has replaced the names of our defined "is_spam" and "no_spam" accounts, which are intended for user triggered database learning purposes (missed spam / false positives), with any standard account names. Further the message tagging by Spamhalter has been changed. The header now reads X-SPAMWALL instead of X-SPAMHALTER. But our Mercury filter routine is searching for X-SPAMHALTER when sorting out spam. And finally Spamhalter checkbox "SPAM filtering is enabled" was disabled after the Mercury update. After changing the settings back to our own values, the spam filtering works again._

Hi rwagner,
Just seen your post and Brian's answer containing my quotation. Now I will be noticed about further spamhalter questions in this thread.

Because you are using spamhalter since years like us, maybe you could help me with your experiences in another regard. Are you using Pegasus Mail exclusively as mail client in connection with Mercury or other clients like Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. as well? Since Pmail has some oddities and the new version is still a little bit buggy, many of my users prefer using Thunderbird, which is connected to Mercury by IMAP. So far so good.

But while in Pmail I'm able to bounce (forwarding the original mail without changing anything) spam mail to Spamhalter directly (using the prepared spam account), in Thunderbird and other clients I'm only able to forward spam mails to our spam account where Spamhalter learns from. But forwarding means that my own sender address will be added to the original mail and I'm afraid that my own sender address including my own signature will be additionally processed by Spamhalter and settled as spam now.
I know I'm able to add sender domain names or complete email addresses (like my own) to a spamhalter whitelist or "exclude from processing" list. But often we get spam mails with our own domain as sender address, abused by spammers. That's why I don't wanna add our own domain to the whitelist.

Any thoughts in this regard?

Hi rwagner, Just seen your post and Brian's answer containing my quotation. Now I will be noticed about further spamhalter questions in this thread. Because you are using spamhalter since years like us, maybe you could help me with your experiences in another regard. Are you using Pegasus Mail exclusively as mail client in connection with Mercury or other clients like Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. as well? Since Pmail has some oddities and the new version is still a little bit buggy, many of my users prefer using Thunderbird, which is connected to Mercury by IMAP. So far so good. But while in Pmail I'm able to **bounce** (forwarding the original mail without changing anything) spam mail to Spamhalter directly (using the prepared spam account), in Thunderbird and other clients I'm only able to **forward** spam mails to our spam account where Spamhalter learns from. But **forwarding** means that my own sender address will be added to the original mail and I'm afraid that my own sender address including my own signature will be additionally processed by Spamhalter and settled as spam now. I know I'm able to add sender domain names or complete email addresses (like my own) to a spamhalter whitelist or "exclude from processing" list. But often we get spam mails with our own domain as sender address, abused by spammers. That's why I don't wanna add our own domain to the whitelist. Any thoughts in this regard?
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft