Community Discussions and Support
Attachment smime.p7m

Some of my customers are receiving (Pegasus Mail 4.73) mails with an attachment named smime.p7m. Sometime this attachment is enclosed in a winmail.dat file.
Is there an easy and direct way to open a smime.p7m in PMail without storing the attachment and opening it with a dedicated viewer (i.e. Cryptigo p7m viewer).
Many thanks for your help ...

Some of my customers are receiving (Pegasus Mail 4.73) mails with an attachment named smime.p7m. Sometime this attachment is enclosed in a winmail.dat file. Is there an easy and direct way to open a smime.p7m in PMail without storing the attachment and opening it with a dedicated viewer (i.e. Cryptigo p7m viewer). Many thanks for your help ...

A winmail.dat attachment is the result of a Outlook sending messages in it proprietary RTF format. Configuration by the sender can fix this. Good luck with convincing them to do that though. While I was employed I spent a good bit of time attempting to convince email senders (employees of vendors, financial institutions, insurance providers, and the like) to configure their Outlook to be considerate of non-Outlook recipients. I rarely got anywhere because our business was the only one reporting a problem. I ended up putting Winmail Opener on every PC and training users on its use.

smime.p7m attachment is the result of the sender digitally signing their email. Outlook can handle smime.p7m attachments, Pegasus Mail can not. I don't know of a way to handle them other than with an external utility as you are doing.

A winmail.dat attachment is the result of a Outlook sending messages in it proprietary RTF format. Configuration by the sender can fix this. Good luck with convincing them to do that though. While I was employed I spent a good bit of time attempting to convince email senders (employees of vendors, financial institutions, insurance providers, and the like) to configure their Outlook to be considerate of non-Outlook recipients. I rarely got anywhere because our business was the only one reporting a problem. I ended up putting Winmail Opener on every PC and training users on its use. smime.p7m attachment is the result of the sender digitally signing their email. Outlook can handle smime.p7m attachments, Pegasus Mail can not. I don't know of a way to handle them other than with an external utility as you are doing.

smime.p7m attachment is the result of the sender digitally signing their email. Outlook can handle smime.p7m attachments, Pegasus Mail can not. I don't know of a way to handle them other than with an external utility as you are doing.

Well, once there was a time when I provided up-to-date S/MIME and PGP/MIME extensions for Pegasus Mail which could deal with such messages. For various reasons I wasn't able to keep up the work in a way conforming to current safety and security standards. The only leftover is my PMPGP extension which only works with out-of-date PGP desktop applications up to version 10.3 - which isn't officially available and standards-conformant anymore either.
Since Pegasus Mail doesn't (and never really did) provide a useful API in its current version it wouldn't make sense to start from scratch before its v5 comes out - which is supposed to provide built-in support for S/MIME anyway.

[quote="pid:53804, uid:28772"]smime.p7m attachment is the result of the sender digitally signing their email. Outlook can handle smime.p7m attachments, Pegasus Mail can not. I don't know of a way to handle them other than with an external utility as you are doing.[/quote] Well, once there was a time when I provided up-to-date S/MIME and PGP/MIME extensions for Pegasus Mail which could deal with such messages. For various reasons I wasn't able to keep up the work in a way conforming to current safety and security standards. The only leftover is my PMPGP extension which only works with out-of-date PGP desktop applications up to version 10.3 - which isn't officially available and standards-conformant anymore either. Since Pegasus Mail doesn't (and never really did) provide a useful API in its current version it wouldn't make sense to start from scratch before its v5 comes out - which is supposed to provide built-in support for S/MIME anyway.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Many thanks to both of you Brian and Michael. It is the confirmation of my actual usage of WinMail Opener and P7m Viewer. As the mail senders belong to large industrial companies with strict mail security rules I have to deal with ...

Many thanks to both of you Brian and Michael. It is the confirmation of my actual usage of WinMail Opener and P7m Viewer. As the mail senders belong to large industrial companies with strict mail security rules I have to deal with ...
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft