Community Discussions and Support
Microsoft Turning Off Basic Auth

Hi,

Microsoft will be turning off Basic Auth in the coming months on their online Exchange servers:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchange-online-may-2022/ba-p/3301866

I tend to use Mercury32 to retrieve emails (using MercuryD) from an online Exchange server and deliver them to local email accounts (client PC can't connect direct to the online Exchange server).

I can't seem to find a way to switch the authentication MercuryD uses away from Basic Auth to Modern Auth, which means come October 2022 Mercery32 will no longer work with online Exchange servers.

I've tried to search forum but can't find any reference to this.
Granted I'm using v4.8, but is anyone aware of this issue and know how to use MercuryD using Modern Auth??

Thanks.

Hi, Microsoft will be turning off Basic Auth in the coming months on their online Exchange servers: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchange-online-may-2022/ba-p/3301866 I tend to use Mercury32 to retrieve emails (using MercuryD) from an online Exchange server and deliver them to local email accounts (client PC can't connect direct to the online Exchange server). I can't seem to find a way to switch the authentication MercuryD uses away from Basic Auth to Modern Auth, which means come October 2022 Mercery32 will no longer work with online Exchange servers. I've tried to search forum but can't find any reference to this. Granted I'm using v4.8, but is anyone aware of this issue and know how to use MercuryD using Modern Auth?? Thanks.

I'm also interested in information how Mercury will be further developed in next time. At the moment we got no problems when connecting to our german internet/email provider (1&1 / IONOS) to retrieve our mails for about 20 users. But internet and auth provisions are changing fast and we would like to be prepared.

We are concerned about the latest development and release of Pegasus Mail with so many different bugs and oddities, described in this forums. That's why we are more and more changing to Thunderbird as mail client.

Hopefully Mercury development takes not the same way and the future v5 will be well tested before releasing it. We are still willing to pay for a new licence - good work should be paid for - but the software needs to run. Email is our main communication channel in ship business.

I'm also interested in information how Mercury will be further developed in next time. At the moment we got no problems when connecting to our german internet/email provider (1&1 / IONOS) to retrieve our mails for about 20 users. But internet and auth provisions are changing fast and we would like to be prepared. We are concerned about the latest development and release of Pegasus Mail with so many different bugs and oddities, described in this forums. That's why we are more and more changing to Thunderbird as mail client. Hopefully Mercury development takes not the same way and the future v5 will be well tested before releasing it. We are still willing to pay for a new licence - good work should be paid for - but the software needs to run. Email is our main communication channel in ship business.
edited Jul 19 '22 at 10:42 am

I think that Mercury32 will not change anything for the retrieving of emails behind the modern auth wall from M$. Hopefully M$ goes the way of Google and implements the usage of an app-password.

I think that Mercury32 will not change anything for the retrieving of emails behind the modern auth wall from M$. Hopefully M$ goes the way of Google and implements the usage of an app-password.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft