Community Discussions and Support
Auto-responder for "out of office"

I keep looking for it and the docs indicate it exists, but it isn't where the docs say it is.

I have also been unable to find the downloads for Mercury add-ons for this feature.

How do users get Mercury to autorespond with a scheduled "out of office"? All users have Microsoft Outlook.

I keep looking for it and the docs indicate it exists, but it isn't where the docs say it is. I have also been unable to find the downloads for Mercury add-ons for this feature. How do users get Mercury to autorespond with a scheduled "out of office"? All users have Microsoft Outlook.

I don't believe it can be done from Outlook. IIRC, the Auto-Reply function is a Pegasus Mail function that only exists when Pegasus Mail detects the existence of Mercury. I attempted to refresh my memory but my searches of both the Mercury and Pegasus Mail manuals did not find anything. Where and in what doc did you find information about it?

I don't believe it can be done from Outlook. IIRC, the Auto-Reply function is a Pegasus Mail function that only exists when Pegasus Mail detects the existence of Mercury. I attempted to refresh my memory but my searches of both the Mercury and Pegasus Mail manuals did not find anything. Where and in what doc did you find information about it?

I think it might have been "Web tools for Mercury" which does not appear to be available any longer. A web interface to set the "out of office" would be acceptable, if that exists.

I did try installing Pegasus and there is supposed to be an option under "Tools" but I can't find it.

At this point, I'd be happy with anything that the users themselves could use to create scheduled automatic out of office replies. A web interface is what they are accustomed to on their old mail server, but anything that makes it a server-side reply would be awesome.

If I had any web programming skills I suspect it isn't terribly difficult to pop a script into the right place that would do it.

I think it might have been "Web tools for Mercury" which does not appear to be available any longer. A web interface to set the "out of office" would be acceptable, if that exists. I did try installing Pegasus and there is supposed to be an option under "Tools" but I can't find it. At this point, I'd be happy with anything that the users themselves could use to create scheduled automatic out of office replies. A web interface is what they are accustomed to on their old mail server, but anything that makes it a server-side reply would be awesome. If I had any web programming skills I suspect it isn't terribly difficult to pop a script into the right place that would do it.

If you trust all your users that they know what they do ..., you could give them write privileges to their own mailbox directory at the server share. Pmail/Mercury are managing the autoreply function by a simple text file AREPLY / AREPLY.PM. In case the autoreply function is switched off, the placed file reads AREPLY. And in case you activate the autoreply in Pegasus Mail, the file will be renamed in AREPLY.PM.
The file itself contains the autoreply text of the user (I'm out of office until ... bla bla bla), and could be edited by simple text editors like wordpad or notepad.
Your users could simply rename this file to activate or deactivate the autoreply function. Mercury would immediately recognize and read out this file without any restarts.

Is not a smart solution but a workaround.

In the meantime we are (20 users) mostly using Thunderbird, connected by IMAP to Mercury, but have Pmail still installed for such reasons, activating of autoreplies, bouncing of spam messages to spamhalter account, etc.

If you trust all your users that they know what they do ..., you could give them write privileges to their own mailbox directory at the server share. Pmail/Mercury are managing the autoreply function by a simple text file AREPLY / AREPLY.PM. In case the autoreply function is switched off, the placed file reads AREPLY. And in case you activate the autoreply in Pegasus Mail, the file will be renamed in AREPLY.PM. The file itself contains the autoreply text of the user (I'm out of office until ... bla bla bla), and could be edited by simple text editors like wordpad or notepad. Your users could simply rename this file to activate or deactivate the autoreply function. Mercury would immediately recognize and read out this file without any restarts. Is not a smart solution but a workaround. In the meantime we are (20 users) mostly using Thunderbird, connected by IMAP to Mercury, but have Pmail still installed for such reasons, activating of autoreplies, bouncing of spam messages to spamhalter account, etc.

Thanks guys, both excellent suggestions and good information. I will give them a try.

Thanks guys, both excellent suggestions and good information. I will give them a try.

I am trying Joerg's suggestion. The mail server is on-premise, so it is a simple matter to give the users file access to their own mail directory. I am trying my hand at writing a small Windows program to edit and save the AREPLY(.PM) file. My programming skills are very rusty, but it should not be terribly difficult.

I am trying Joerg's suggestion. The mail server is on-premise, so it is a simple matter to give the users file access to their own mail directory. I am trying my hand at writing a small Windows program to edit and save the AREPLY(.PM) file. My programming skills are very rusty, but it should not be terribly difficult.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft