Community Discussions and Support
POP3 and SMTP settings getting deleted upon exiting PMail

I have been trying to start in the second identity, but it is not working. I am using the syntax -ID <name>. My identity is 2 words.

I have been trying to start in the second identity, but it is not working. I am using the syntax -ID &lt;name&gt;. My identity is 2 words.

OK, now it started with the second identity and the POP3 and SMTP definitions were again not present for the default identity. The definitions for the second identity were unaffected.

OK, now it started with the second identity and the POP3 and SMTP definitions were again not present for the default identity. The definitions for the second identity were unaffected.

@Eruption, thanks for doing the testing.

David has seen this thread and does not understand how reverting to v4.80 as @rocketboy did solved the problem. Nothing in this part of the code changed between 4.80 and 4.81. The only thing I can think of to try at this point is to test it with a new PMAIL.INI. You could do this without losing the existing PMAIL.INI.
First add the -O command line option during testing so that PMail is in offline mode.
Rename the existing .INI, start PMail, add the POP3 and SMTP hosts, then restart PMail to see if they stick. If so, create a second identity, add POP3 and SMTP hosts in it, then restart and check again.

Restore the original .INI to return it to service. Consider backing up the mailbox directory before starting.

@Eruption, thanks for doing the testing. David has seen this thread and does not understand how reverting to v4.80 as @rocketboy did solved the problem. Nothing in this part of the code changed between 4.80 and 4.81. The only thing I can think of to try at this point is to test it with a new PMAIL.INI. You could do this without losing the existing PMAIL.INI. First add the -O command line option during testing so that PMail is in offline mode. Rename the existing .INI, start PMail, add the POP3 and SMTP hosts, then restart PMail to see if they stick. If so, create a second identity, add POP3 and SMTP hosts in it, then restart and check again. Restore the original .INI to return it to service. Consider backing up the mailbox directory before starting.

I have carried out the different steps. I had to manually add the Home mailbox location to the ini file. For some reason setting within options wouldn't work. Once this was done and the POP3 and SMTP hosts added. After exiting and reloading PMAIL the same problem occurred. I had not generated the second identity. Incidently, I noted that there was an "invisible" host definition in the first level, adding a host put it on the second line of the list. I deleted the invisible entry on the first line. This was the same for POP3 and SMTP.

I have carried out the different steps. I had to manually add the Home mailbox location to the ini file. For some reason setting within options wouldn&#039;t work. Once this was done and the POP3 and SMTP hosts added. After exiting and reloading PMAIL the same problem occurred. I had not generated the second identity. Incidently, I noted that there was an &quot;invisible&quot; host definition in the first level, adding a host put it on the second line of the list. I deleted the invisible entry on the first line. This was the same for POP3 and SMTP.

Thanks once again for the testing. You have ruled out an anomaly in your original PMAIL.INI file. I don't understand why you had to manually add the Home mailbox path to the .INI though. I thought that was automatically populated based on the path in PMAIL.CFG and the username. It is late here so I am leaving myself a note to test this tomorrow.

Thanks once again for the testing. You have ruled out an anomaly in your original PMAIL.INI file. I don&#039;t understand why you had to manually add the Home mailbox path to the .INI though. I thought that was automatically populated based on the path in PMAIL.CFG and the username. It is late here so I am leaving myself a note to test this tomorrow.

I had to manually add the Home mailbox location to the ini file.

I think I see what you did. There are two entries in a new PMAIL.INI file that reference home mailbox location.

The first is in the [General] section. It is normally blank based on looking at six different versions of PMAIL.INI (saved and current) in my two Pegasus Mail installations. I'll bet that is the one you added the path to. I don't think doing so should have done anything to the functionality of Pegasus Mail.

The second is in the [Pegasus Mail for Windows - Run Info] section. That entry is "Working home mailbox location" and it is the one that Pegasus Mail uses.

Once you add identities, each identity section in the PMAIL.INI will also contain a blank "Home mailbox location" entry. I have never considered a reason for an identify to have a separate home mailbox. None comes to mind. It does not appear to be configurable from within Pegasus Mail so I suspect it is either a legacy entry or one that was added with intent the hasn't materialized.

[quote=&quot;pid:54944, uid:37923&quot;]I had to manually add the Home mailbox location to the ini file.[/quote] I think I see what you did. There are two entries in a new PMAIL.INI file that reference home mailbox location. The first is in the [General] section. It is normally blank based on looking at six different versions of PMAIL.INI (saved and current) in my two Pegasus Mail installations. I&#039;ll bet that is the one you added the path to. I don&#039;t think doing so should have done anything to the functionality of Pegasus Mail. The second is in the [Pegasus Mail for Windows - Run Info] section. That entry is &quot;Working home mailbox location&quot; and it is the one that Pegasus Mail uses. Once you add identities, each identity section in the PMAIL.INI will also contain a blank &quot;Home mailbox location&quot; entry. I have never considered a reason for an identify to have a separate home mailbox. None comes to mind. It does not appear to be configurable from within Pegasus Mail so I suspect it is either a legacy entry or one that was added with intent the hasn&#039;t materialized.

OK, yes I now see there are 2 entries for the mailbox location. It was the GENERAL one that was blank. PMAIL was reading my new mail (in ADMIN) but not the folders until I manually entered the path in the [General] section. Also as I said I could not see the Hosts previously configured except for the OAUTH2 ones for Google. After adding the path I could then assign my previously configured definitions.

OK, yes I now see there are 2 entries for the mailbox location. It was the GENERAL one that was blank. PMAIL was reading my new mail (in ADMIN) but not the folders until I manually entered the path in the [General] section. Also as I said I could not see the Hosts previously configured except for the OAUTH2 ones for Google. After adding the path I could then assign my previously configured definitions.

It is strange that you could only see the OAUTH2 POP3 and SMTP definitions since there isn't anything unique about them. They are .PND files just like the others. I wonder if you have some in the Home mailbox directory and some in the New mailbox directory. Thinking this through, if, when the INI loads, it only looks in one of them, then the fact that some disappear would make sense. This would mean that when in Internet Options, the Pegasus Mail program would need to be looking in both places in order to add the missing ones.

Do you have POP?????.PND and SMT?????.PND files in both locations? If so, identifying which ones are where might provide a clue. They are plain text files.

It is strange that you could only see the OAUTH2 POP3 and SMTP definitions since there isn&#039;t anything unique about them. They are .PND files just like the others. I wonder if you have some in the Home mailbox directory and some in the New mailbox directory. Thinking this through, if, when the INI loads, it only looks in one of them, then the fact that some disappear would make sense. This would mean that when in Internet Options, the Pegasus Mail program would need to be looking in both places in order to add the missing ones. Do you have POP?????.PND and SMT?????.PND files in both locations? If so, identifying which ones are where might provide a clue. They are plain text files.

SO..tried the new improved 4.81 beta v2, 31 Jan 23. Same problem. Everytime I close Pegasus, the receiving and sending settings get lost.
Same problem as last time. They are all saved, so I can select them (my POP3 and SMTP servers) they appear in the appropriate tabs and all works fine. I close Pegasus, and reopen, and they are gone again. I have only one identity, I store all on the A: drive in my case. If I roll back to 4.80, all works fine again.....

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like, when I re-start Pegasus. I select what is needed, it looks like it will be saved. And then it is gone.

63d98964ab90d

Rolling back to 4.80 as this is my work mail.

SO..tried the new improved 4.81 beta v2, 31 Jan 23. Same problem. Everytime I close Pegasus, the receiving and sending settings get lost. Same problem as last time. They are all saved, so I can select them (my POP3 and SMTP servers) they appear in the appropriate tabs and all works fine. I close Pegasus, and reopen, and they are gone again. I have only one identity, I store all on the A: drive in my case. If I roll back to 4.80, all works fine again..... Here is a screen shot of what it looks like, when I re-start Pegasus. I select what is needed, it looks like it will be saved. And then it is gone. ![63d98964ab90d](serve/attachment&amp;path=63d98964ab90d) Rolling back to 4.80 as this is my work mail.

And for good measure, I also copied the PMAIL.INI file from a good working version of 4.80 into 4.81 (while both were closed, just to be clear). As soon as I start up 4.81, the POP3 and SMTP options tabs are already blank, as shown in the images.
All I can say is, whatever is going on, it stops when I roll back. When I start up 4.80, the hosts definitions appear immediately in their respective tabs exactly as they should. They are blank in 4.81. So it may not be a "saved settings thing" - it may be how 4.81 even reads the PMAIL.INI file. Assuming this is the source of the problem. All this way over my head. 4.80 remains rock solid.

And for good measure, I also copied the PMAIL.INI file from a good working version of 4.80 into 4.81 (while both were closed, just to be clear). As soon as I start up 4.81, the POP3 and SMTP options tabs are already blank, as shown in the images. All I can say is, whatever is going on, it stops when I roll back. When I start up 4.80, the hosts definitions appear immediately in their respective tabs exactly as they should. They are blank in 4.81. So it may not be a &quot;saved settings thing&quot; - it may be how 4.81 even reads the PMAIL.INI file. Assuming this is the source of the problem. All this way over my head. 4.80 remains rock solid.

Was just looking at my PND files, and all have a line about home mailbox and they are all blank since I use the default location.

Think it was mentioned that mail box had been moved to a different location and was having to manually change it in the PMAIL.INI. Might be the same change would be needed in the PND files to match??

Thought that at some point the option to move mailbox location was disabled??
Know at one point on Novell Servers I had to move mailboxes for users that had large amounts of mail since server only had primary 1G drive, and back then it was a simple process to move them to the secondary drives which where new 9G drives. (Long ago with SCSI duplexed setup).

So, wondering if the issue is with having mailbox in non-standard location rather than a windows 11 or Pegasus update, but strange that going back to 4.80 has it working from my understanding.

Was just looking at my PND files, and all have a line about home mailbox and they are all blank since I use the default location. Think it was mentioned that mail box had been moved to a different location and was having to manually change it in the PMAIL.INI. Might be the same change would be needed in the PND files to match?? Thought that at some point the option to move mailbox location was disabled?? Know at one point on Novell Servers I had to move mailboxes for users that had large amounts of mail since server only had primary 1G drive, and back then it was a simple process to move them to the secondary drives which where new 9G drives. (Long ago with SCSI duplexed setup). So, wondering if the issue is with having mailbox in non-standard location rather than a windows 11 or Pegasus update, but strange that going back to 4.80 has it working from my understanding.

mikes@guam.net

So, wondering if the issue is with having mailbox in non-standard location rather than a windows 11 or Pegasus update, but strange that going back to 4.80 has it working from my understanding.

Exactly, especially considering that the definitions that go missing are not new OAUTH2 ones. This has David baffled too.

Confirming a common installation issue like different Home and New mailbox locations would provide a troubleshooting direction. The Win11 factor adds a little twist.

[quote=&quot;pid:54962, uid:2546&quot;]So, wondering if the issue is with having mailbox in non-standard location rather than a windows 11 or Pegasus update, but strange that going back to 4.80 has it working from my understanding.[/quote] Exactly, especially considering that the definitions that go missing are not new OAUTH2 ones. This has David baffled too. Confirming a common installation issue like different Home and New mailbox locations would provide a troubleshooting direction. The Win11 factor adds a little twist.

@Brian - In my case, home, and new (not really any new) are the same directory. It is non standard in the sense that it is in A: (all my PMAIL files are there in one place A:\PMAIL) vs. C:. So my Mail directory is inside that. This has never been an issue. It works fine in 4.80, as it has for I dunno 10 years. Similarly, Win11 really not that different from Win10. I have not drilled down into CND etc. files - maybe there is just some weird corruption going on during the "upgrade" process? Pure uninformed speculation.

I am reluctant (to put it mildly) to spend hours on this but one thing I have not tried is a complete new install and then copying over the Mail subdirectory. But as the problem may be inside this directory, doubtful about results. And this surely is what the "upgrade" process does anyway.

@Brian - In my case, home, and new (not really any new) are the same directory. It is non standard in the sense that it is in A: (all my PMAIL files are there in one place A:\PMAIL) vs. C:. So my Mail directory is inside that. This has never been an issue. It works fine in 4.80, as it has for I dunno 10 years. Similarly, Win11 really not that different from Win10. I have not drilled down into CND etc. files - maybe there is just some weird corruption going on during the &quot;upgrade&quot; process? Pure uninformed speculation. I am reluctant (to put it mildly) to spend hours on this but one thing I have not tried is a complete new install and then copying over the Mail subdirectory. But as the problem may be inside this directory, doubtful about results. And this surely is what the &quot;upgrade&quot; process does anyway.
edited Feb 1 '23 at 8:58 am

Just to to a test.
Have a test just Jill Hill who's default mail directory was:
C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill
created a directory C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2
Started Pegasus.
To move mailbox location did TOOLS/OPTIONS/MAILBOX Location
Changed <Default> to C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2
Then clicked on CHANGE NOW as it says to do rather than OK or Apply.

That moves most files to the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 directory, but has a PMAIL.INI and PMAIL.INI.BK1 file in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill directory

Lines with Jill in the PMAIL.INI are
cat PMAIL.INI | grep -i Jill
Home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2
Internal username = jill
Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2
New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\jill

The C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR has
A;Admin;Mail Administrator
U;Jack;Jack Hill
U;Jill;Jill Hill

So that was unchanged in move mail box

Not sure what method was used to originally move the users mail box, but seems the active PMAIL.INI remains in original location not the new location, but has the Link.

This is a test user so has not *.PND files so don't know it it would need to have the path installed manually to have location.

So original mail directory C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill is left with just.
PMAIL.INI PMAIL.INI.BK1 RmtFiles

The active PMAIL.INI, a saved back of PMAIL.INI, and directory RmtFiles. also had 3 CNM files.

Know on old Novell servers from like 20 years ago, could change mail to use a different volumn for storage versus drive letter with no issue. Think that was true for both Bindery and NDS setup, but not 100% sure.

Don't know if it might have something to do with using A: since generally A: and B: were reserved for Floppy disks, so generally would avoid using A: or B:. Not sure if Windows 11 might have something special happening with A: and B:. Lots of variables.

Interesting. Had not tired the more option before, so perhaps someone else has, and had user with PND files.

Just to to a test. Have a test just Jill Hill who&#039;s default mail directory was: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill created a directory C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 Started Pegasus. To move mailbox location did TOOLS/OPTIONS/MAILBOX Location Changed &lt;Default&gt; to C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 Then clicked on CHANGE NOW as it says to do rather than OK or Apply. That moves most files to the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 directory, but has a PMAIL.INI and PMAIL.INI.BK1 file in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill directory Lines with Jill in the PMAIL.INI are cat PMAIL.INI | grep -i Jill Home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 Internal username = jill Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\jill The C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR has A;Admin;Mail Administrator U;Jack;Jack Hill U;Jill;Jill Hill So that was unchanged in move mail box Not sure what method was used to originally move the users mail box, but seems the active PMAIL.INI remains in original location not the new location, but has the Link. This is a test user so has not *.PND files so don&#039;t know it it would need to have the path installed manually to have location. So original mail directory C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill is left with just. PMAIL.INI PMAIL.INI.BK1 RmtFiles The active PMAIL.INI, a saved back of PMAIL.INI, and directory RmtFiles. also had 3 CNM files. Know on old Novell servers from like 20 years ago, could change mail to use a different volumn for storage versus drive letter with no issue. Think that was true for both Bindery and NDS setup, but not 100% sure. Don&#039;t know if it might have something to do with using A: since generally A: and B: were reserved for Floppy disks, so generally would avoid using A: or B:. Not sure if Windows 11 might have something special happening with A: and B:. Lots of variables. Interesting. Had not tired the more option before, so perhaps someone else has, and had user with PND files.

mikes@guam.net

Just did a test with my jill user creating dummy PND files using localhost.com. The PND files were localed into the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 folder rather than the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill folder that has the PMAIL.INI file.

Just discovered an interesting thing.
Went back to my Jill user, and the Internet options were both gone??
Was able to add them back in.

Found that the PND files were in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 directory, but not in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill directory.

As a test I then copied the PND files from the JILL2 directory to the Jill directory.

This time, when I ran Pegasus the definitions were there...
So, it would appear that Pegasus is looking for the PND files to be in the same directory as the PMAIL.INI file.

Now I'm using Linux with wine and set to emulate window 10.

So, don't know why the 4.81 acts differently with the PND file locations.

Would try copying the PND files to the original mail directory with the PMAIL.INI file and see it remains. Don't know i modifications to settings would update which one of the PND files, so might require a recopy or perhaps using a symbolic link? Not sure windows has that??

Just did a test with my jill user creating dummy PND files using localhost.com. The PND files were localed into the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 folder rather than the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill folder that has the PMAIL.INI file. Just discovered an interesting thing. Went back to my Jill user, and the Internet options were both gone?? Was able to add them back in. Found that the PND files were in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\JILL2 directory, but not in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Jill directory. As a test I then copied the PND files from the JILL2 directory to the Jill directory. This time, when I ran Pegasus the definitions were there... So, it would appear that Pegasus is looking for the PND files to be in the same directory as the PMAIL.INI file. Now I&#039;m using Linux with wine and set to emulate window 10. So, don&#039;t know why the 4.81 acts differently with the PND file locations. Would try copying the PND files to the original mail directory with the PMAIL.INI file and see it remains. Don&#039;t know i modifications to settings would update which one of the PND files, so might require a recopy or perhaps using a symbolic link? Not sure windows has that??

mikes@guam.net

All my PND files are in the PMAIL\MAIL directory (not further down in Admin). As I have no other users or Mail IDs, this is my home directory. The PMAIL.INI file is in the lower ADMIN directory. This is in v 4.80.

Weary from installs and roll backs, but my gut tells me this has not changed in 4.81. Or has it??

All my PND files are in the PMAIL\MAIL directory (not further down in Admin). As I have no other users or Mail IDs, this is my home directory. The PMAIL.INI file is in the lower ADMIN directory. This is in v 4.80. Weary from installs and roll backs, but my gut tells me this has not changed in 4.81. Or has it??
edited Feb 1 '23 at 11:51 am

From what I know - but I can't tell for sure and don't know whether there's any place to find it written down - all config files (like PMAIL.INI, e.g.) should be located in the New mailbox directory as indicated on Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info. This isn't different from the Home mailbox directory in most cases, but if it is this might have an impact here.

From what I know - but I can&#039;t tell for sure and don&#039;t know whether there&#039;s any place to find it written down - all config files (like PMAIL.INI, e.g.) should be located in the _New mailbox directory_ as indicated on _Help &gt; About Pegasus Mail &gt; Info_. This isn&#039;t different from the _Home mailbox directory_ in most cases, but _if_ it is this might have an impact here.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

All my PND files are in the PMAIL\MAIL directory (not further down in Admin). As I have no other users or Mail IDs, this is my home directory. The PMAIL.INI file is in the lower ADMIN directory. This is in v 4.80.

It appears that both you and @Eruption have the same abnormal installation where \Pmail\Mail is your Home directory but \PMail\Mail\Admin is your New Mail directory. I am curious why \Pmail\Mail would be set as the Home directory rather than it being \PMail\Mail\Admin. My sense is that this was accidental but that is irrelevant. What appears to be happening is that v4.81 is not seeing the .PND files in the Home directory when it starts up. I am now very anxious to hear back from @Eruption about whether any of his .PND files are in \Pmail\Mail as well.

Weary from installs and roll backs, but my gut tells me this has not changed in 4.81. Or has it??

I am not sure what "this" you are referring to.
As for rolling back, I would opt to copy your current installation, upgrade it, and then use it in offline mode for testing 4.81, perhaps test the combining of the Home and New directories if there isn't a compelling reason for them to be separate. I am happy to provide instructions on how to do this without affecting your current installation. I wish this forum had private message capability.

[quote=&quot;pid:54970, uid:30154&quot;]All my PND files are in the PMAIL\MAIL directory (not further down in Admin). As I have no other users or Mail IDs, this is my home directory. The PMAIL.INI file is in the lower ADMIN directory. This is in v 4.80.[/quote] It appears that both you and @Eruption have the same abnormal installation where \Pmail\Mail is your Home directory but \PMail\Mail\Admin is your New Mail directory. I am curious why \Pmail\Mail would be set as the Home directory rather than it being \PMail\Mail\Admin. My sense is that this was accidental but that is irrelevant. What appears to be happening is that v4.81 is not seeing the .PND files in the Home directory when it starts up. I am now very anxious to hear back from @Eruption about whether any of his .PND files are in \Pmail\Mail as well. [quote=&quot;pid:54970, uid:30154&quot;]Weary from installs and roll backs, but my gut tells me this has not changed in 4.81. Or has it??[/quote] I am not sure what &quot;this&quot; you are referring to. As for rolling back, I would opt to copy your current installation, upgrade it, and then use it in offline mode for testing 4.81, perhaps test the combining of the Home and New directories if there isn&#039;t a compelling reason for them to be separate. I am happy to provide instructions on how to do this without affecting your current installation. I wish this forum had private message capability.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft