Community Discussions and Support
Hello my friends

While I await my other problem on trying to see if i can recover messages that disappeared from my new mail folder, i ran across another I forgot to ask about.

In receiving mail I sometimes get messags w/attachments that say type unknown and believe I need to go to a location to add word or excel etc. in order to receive What/where is the procedure I need to go to add these type of documents in able to view

Thanks again
Always appreciate your help and glad you folks are there to help

Danny McGill

While I await my other problem on trying to see if i can recover messages that disappeared from my new mail folder, i ran across another I forgot to ask about. In receiving mail I sometimes get messags w/attachments that say type unknown and believe I need to go to a location to add word or excel etc. in order to receive What/where is the procedure I need to go to add these type of documents in able to view Thanks again Always appreciate your help and glad you folks are there to help Danny McGill

Danny, it is not worth trying to fix the display of "Unknown" in the Type column of the attachment pane. In fact, it can't be done with 100% accuracy due to file types not being defined by the sender. A good example is .pdf files that are sent defined as application/octet stream. There is no way for Pegasus Mail to different a .pdf file from any other file sent as application/octet stream. The best you can do is to add entries in the Pegasus Mail content viewer list that associate attachment file extensions with specific applications.

The content viewer list is in Tools > Options > Incoming mail > Content viewers.

I use a portable version of Irfanview for images so here is a screen shot of the content viewer I created for the .jpg file extension:

63cf073672b03

Danny, it is not worth trying to fix the display of "Unknown" in the Type column of the attachment pane. In fact, it can't be done with 100% accuracy due to file types not being defined by the sender. A good example is .pdf files that are sent defined as application/octet stream. There is no way for Pegasus Mail to different a .pdf file from any other file sent as application/octet stream. The best you can do is to add entries in the Pegasus Mail content viewer list that associate attachment file extensions with specific applications. The content viewer list is in Tools > Options > Incoming mail > Content viewers. I use a portable version of Irfanview for images so here is a screen shot of the content viewer I created for the .jpg file extension: ![63cf073672b03](serve/attachment&path=63cf073672b03)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft