Community Discussions and Support
Issues receiving new mail

No more conjecture from me for now. I am going to step away while Michael does some dump file analysis.

Michael, enabling the telltale window should be all that is required. Its on/off status and window location are identity specific, stored in pmail.ini.

No more conjecture from me for now. I am going to step away while Michael does some dump file analysis. Michael, enabling the telltale window should be all that is required. Its on/off status and window location are identity specific, stored in pmail.ini.

Michael, enabling the telltale window should be all that is required. Its on/off status and window location are identity specific, stored in pmail.ini.

Tried it with my main identity to no avail, could filtering prevent it from showing up?

[quote="pid:56184, uid:28772"]Michael, enabling the telltale window should be all that is required. Its on/off status and window location are identity specific, stored in pmail.ini.[/quote] Tried it with my main identity to no avail, could filtering prevent it from showing up?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Tried it with my main identity to no avail, could filtering prevent it from showing up?

Yes. The telltale window only appears when messages hit the new mail folder. Messages diverted by a new mail filter will not trigger it. I rely on a message dialog filter for notification of those although it is not ideal because it pauses POP3 downloads until it is acknowledged.

[quote="pid:56186, uid:2133"]Tried it with my main identity to no avail, could filtering prevent it from showing up?[/quote] Yes. The telltale window only appears when messages hit the new mail folder. Messages diverted by a new mail filter will not trigger it. I rely on a message dialog filter for notification of those although it is not ideal because it pauses POP3 downloads until it is acknowledged.

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry for falling so far behind here on the questions. Let me first get back to Micheal where a few strings ago.

Michael, I believe you said go ahead and send some of the crash dumps that keep appearing in the Ctrl O pop-up to the address: beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz. (Forgive me, I'm sending three right now and I'm not sure any of these three are from the PMDebug Snapshot program).

Hi everyone. I'm sorry for falling so far behind here on the questions. Let me first get back to Micheal where a few strings ago. Michael, I believe you said go ahead and send some of the crash dumps that keep appearing in the Ctrl O pop-up to the address: beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz. (Forgive me, I'm sending three right now and I'm not sure any of these three are from the PMDebug Snapshot program).

Oh Boy!

Now another new problem with my Pegasus mail has appeared. Trying to send dump files to beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz generates a send error (Pipe-lining). However, if I re-send the dump file from my Outbox (to all) the Re: email seems to be sent OK. What a mess!

Oh Boy! Now another new problem with my Pegasus mail has appeared. Trying to send dump files to beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz generates a send error (Pipe-lining). However, if I re-send the dump file from my Outbox (to all) the Re: email seems to be sent OK. What a mess!

However, if I re-send the dump file from my Outbox (to all) the Re: email seems to be sent OK. What a mess!

Got them, Bill, but unfortunately these ones didn't have any attachments. What about the first one shown open in your screenshot with 30 KB size? This one definitely had an attachment according to the screenshot. Do you still have it?

And what about turning off the new mail notification for testing whether it fixes your non-refresh issue?

[quote="pid:56190, uid:39421"]However, if I re-send the dump file from my Outbox (to all) the Re: email seems to be sent OK. What a mess![/quote] Got them, Bill, but unfortunately these ones didn't have any attachments. What about the first one shown open in your screenshot with 30 KB size? This one definitely had an attachment according to the screenshot. Do you still have it? And what about turning off the new mail notification for testing whether it fixes your non-refresh issue?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael I have tried over 7 times now to send PMDebug Snapshot emails (having attachments) to you and every time now I get a Delivery Failure notice. Something about pipe lining. I tested may Pegasus Mail's ability to send a newly created email by sending it to my alternate email address (the one I'm using on this platform) and it works; it was received and correctly opened from my alternate email inbox.

Michael, Is there any way I can detach the PMDebug Snapshot attachment from the auto saved email and re-attach it to a newly created email in Pegasus mail and try sending it to myself (my alternate email) and forward it to you (beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz)?

Michael I have tried over 7 times now to send PMDebug Snapshot emails (having attachments) to you and every time now I get a Delivery Failure notice. Something about pipe lining. I tested may Pegasus Mail's ability to send a newly created email by sending it to my alternate email address (the one I'm using on this platform) and it works; it was received and correctly opened from my alternate email inbox. Michael, Is there any way I can detach the PMDebug Snapshot attachment from the auto saved email and re-attach it to a newly created email in Pegasus mail and try sending it to myself (my alternate email) and forward it to you (beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz)?

Michael, Is there any way I can detach the PMDebug Snapshot attachment from the auto saved email and re-attach it to a newly created email in Pegasus mail and try sending it to myself (my alternate email) and forward it to you (beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz)?

Since you're using v4.81 the easiest way to do this is the following (it's a new feature): In Pegasus Mail go to Tools > Option > Copies to self and select either Final format or Both formats:

655dab4a440f4

After doing so you can send the already existing report message to queue (assuming you're using the queue) and have it create a copy to self. Now go to your copy to self folder and check for a colored copy of the message (blue folder entry) you just sent to queue, it will look like any usual message you get if opened, so if you now open it you can save its attachment like any other attachment to wherever you want.

Another way would be figuring out the exact path to your attachment by stretching the filename column to show it's complete path like this:

655db4dbc7b39

This is the location of an original Cab-archived dump file in my Windows user's TEMP directory after stretching the column for encompassing the whole path by dragging the separator using my mouse pointer. This way you can open the respective Windows directory for accessing the file directly.

[quote="pid:56192, uid:39421"]Michael, Is there any way I can detach the PMDebug Snapshot attachment from the auto saved email and re-attach it to a newly created email in Pegasus mail and try sending it to myself (my alternate email) and forward it to you (beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz)?[/quote] Since you're using v4.81 the easiest way to do this is the following (it's a new feature): In Pegasus Mail go to Tools > Option > Copies to self and select either _Final format_ or _Both formats_: ![655dab4a440f4](serve/attachment&path=655dab4a440f4) After doing so you can send the already existing report message to queue (assuming you're using the queue) and have it create a copy to self. Now go to your copy to self folder and check for a colored copy of the message (blue folder entry) you just sent to queue, it will look like any usual message you get if opened, so if you now open it you can save its attachment like any other attachment to wherever you want. Another way would be figuring out the exact path to your attachment by stretching the filename column to show it's complete path like this: ![655db4dbc7b39](serve/attachment&path=655db4dbc7b39) This is the location of an original Cab-archived dump file in my Windows user's TEMP directory after stretching the column for encompassing the whole path by dragging the separator using my mouse pointer. This way you can open the respective Windows directory for accessing the file directly.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Dear Michael,

Another failed attempt to get the *cab files to you!!!

Your second method lead me to the Temp folder where these PMDebug Snapshot *.cab files are stored. I tried to create a new "standard" message to your beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz email and again I got a Failure notice (Pipe-lining). Here is an image of the copy self email I tried to send to you with the attachments:

655e538507766

I don't understand how I can email myself from Pegasus but not beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz with out pipe-lining failures.

Dear Michael, Another failed attempt to get the *cab files to you!!! Your second method lead me to the Temp folder where these PMDebug Snapshot *.cab files are stored. I tried to create a new "standard" message to your beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz email and again I got a Failure notice (Pipe-lining). Here is an image of the copy self email I tried to send to you with the attachments: ![655e538507766](serve/attachment&path=655e538507766) I don't understand how I can email myself from Pegasus but not beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz with out pipe-lining failures.

Dear Michael,

Another failed attempt to get the *cab files to you!!!

Your second method lead me to the Temp folder where these PMDebug Snapshot *.cab files are stored. I tried to create a new "standard" message to your beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz email and again I got a Failure notice (Pipe-lining). Here is an image of the copy self email I tried to send to you with the attachments:

655e538507766

I don't understand how I can email myself from Pegasus but not beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz with out pipe-lining failures.

Dear Michael, Another failed attempt to get the *cab files to you!!! Your second method lead me to the Temp folder where these PMDebug Snapshot *.cab files are stored. I tried to create a new "standard" message to your beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz email and again I got a Failure notice (Pipe-lining). Here is an image of the copy self email I tried to send to you with the attachments: ![655e538507766](serve/attachment&path=655e538507766) I don't understand how I can email myself from Pegasus but not beta-reports@pmail.gen.nz with out pipe-lining failures.

Michael,

I tried sending myself (to my alternate email used on this platform) another email from Pegasus (which worked without attachments) but tis time with the *.cab attachments and again I got the Failure Notice:

655e57e00ff49

I seems that the addition of *.cab files causes the error.

I also tried to attache the *.cab files to an email from my alternate email account (gmail) and the gmail software sent me a STOP message, gmail does not allow attaching certain files that are deemed to have executable extensions! I'm at a loss as to how to get these files to you without physically putting on a thumb drive and sending them through snail mail. Any ideas?

Kind Regards, Bill

Michael, I tried sending myself (to my alternate email used on this platform) another email from Pegasus (which worked without attachments) but tis time with the *.cab attachments and again I got the Failure Notice: ![655e57e00ff49](serve/attachment&path=655e57e00ff49) I seems that the addition of *.cab files causes the error. I also tried to attache the *.cab files to an email from my alternate email account (gmail) and the gmail software sent me a STOP message, gmail does not allow attaching certain files that are deemed to have executable extensions! I'm at a loss as to how to get these files to you without physically putting on a thumb drive and sending them through snail mail. Any ideas? Kind Regards, Bill

Michael,

I tried sending myself (to my alternate email used on this platform) another email from Pegasus (which worked without attachments) but tis time with the *.cab attachments and again I got the Failure Notice:

655e57e00ff49

I seems that the addition of *.cab files causes the error.

I also tried to attache the *.cab files to an email from my alternate email account (gmail) and the gmail software sent me a STOP message, gmail does not allow attaching certain files that are deemed to have executable extensions! I'm at a loss as to how to get these files to you without physically putting on a thumb drive and sending them through snail mail. Any ideas?

Kind Regards, Bill

Michael, I tried sending myself (to my alternate email used on this platform) another email from Pegasus (which worked without attachments) but tis time with the *.cab attachments and again I got the Failure Notice: ![655e57e00ff49](serve/attachment&path=655e57e00ff49) I seems that the addition of *.cab files causes the error. I also tried to attache the *.cab files to an email from my alternate email account (gmail) and the gmail software sent me a STOP message, gmail does not allow attaching certain files that are deemed to have executable extensions! I'm at a loss as to how to get these files to you without physically putting on a thumb drive and sending them through snail mail. Any ideas? Kind Regards, Bill

Ok, as you certainly can figure from my previous posts I'm not really surprised about this (my provider blocks them as well but not all of them do) although it doesn't really make sense to me since they could also block ZIP or DOC or even HTML files because of possibly containing executable code (like scripts).

So here's my suggestion: If you select a CAB file in Windows file explorer it will be expanded like any other Windows folder and you can extract (drag) the DMP file in there to any place you want. Now compress it (because they may become pretty large) as a ZIP file and try forwarding it as a zipped attachment to the betareports account. Just pick only one of these files for now since I don't think there'll be lots of differences between them.

And just in case you wonder why I'm using the CAB format: There was a time when Windows didn't support ZIP by default, but it always supported CAB files because Windows itself was distributed using this format so I could assume every version of Windows to be capable of compressing the large dumps: The Windows debugger even has a built-in option for doing so! Guess I should change this now since more and more email providers are blocking transmission of CAB files.

[quote="pid:56197, uid:39421"]I also tried to attache the *.cab files to an email from my alternate email account (gmail) and the gmail software sent me a STOP message, gmail does not allow attaching certain files that are deemed to have executable extensions! I'm at a loss as to how to get these files to you without physically putting on a thumb drive and sending them through snail mail. Any ideas?[/quote] Ok, as you certainly can figure from my previous posts I'm not really surprised about this (my provider blocks them as well but not all of them do) although it doesn't really make sense to me since they could also block ZIP or DOC or even HTML files because of possibly containing executable code (like scripts). So here's my suggestion: If you select a CAB file in Windows file explorer it will be expanded like any other Windows folder and you can extract (drag) the DMP file in there to any place you want. Now compress it (because they may become pretty large) as a ZIP file and try forwarding it as a zipped attachment to the betareports account. Just pick only one of these files for now since I don't think there'll be lots of differences between them. And just in case you wonder why I'm using the CAB format: There was a time when Windows didn't support ZIP by default, but it always supported CAB files because Windows itself was distributed using this format so I could assume every version of Windows to be capable of compressing the large dumps: The Windows debugger even has a built-in option for doing so! Guess I should change this now since more and more email providers are blocking transmission of CAB files.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

PS: "The Compression API is available beginning with the Windows 8 or Windows
Server 2012." - Quoted from their API documentation regarding ZIP algorithms ...

PS: "The Compression API is available beginning with the Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012." - Quoted from their API documentation regarding ZIP algorithms ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael,

Can I try sending it as just its opened DMP file? I opened the last Cab in the series and it's only 164k a size of which most email's can handle as attachments?

Michael, Can I try sending it as just its opened DMP file? I opened the last Cab in the series and it's only 164k a size of which most email's can handle as attachments?

Michael,

It was sent via gmail with the *.dmp file attached, apparently successfully as I received an auto reply from beta-reports. I pray now you can direct me to a fix!

Thanks, Bill (jacobsfw)

Michael, It was sent via gmail with the *.dmp file attached, apparently successfully as I received an auto reply from beta-reports. I pray now you can direct me to a fix! Thanks, Bill (jacobsfw)

It was sent via gmail with the *.dmp file attached, apparently successfully as I received an auto reply from beta-reports. I pray now you can direct me to a fix!

That's not not the way it works, unfortunately: First thing: I got it ok. Secondly: It contains readable and valuable information, but then: It's something I've never seen before which means: Maybe David Harris can say something more about it.

But: I'm sticking with my suggestion: Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter. I would already have tested this myself but for the heck of it I can't get the telltale window to work on my system for figuring out whether it causes anything weird while running Pegasus Mail via my debugger, otherwise I might already have an idea. It's really important to figure out any contributing factors since it won't only help you but also us for fixing issues that sooner or later will affect other users as well, and it's always a lot easier if we can duplicate such issues ourselves. Having your dump available is already a step forward, but it doesn't look like anything I can help with myself.

[quote="pid:56201, uid:39421"]It was sent via gmail with the *.dmp file attached, apparently successfully as I received an auto reply from beta-reports. I pray now you can direct me to a fix![/quote] That's not not the way it works, unfortunately: First thing: I got it ok. Secondly: It contains readable and valuable information, but then: It's something I've never seen before which means: Maybe David Harris can say something more about it. **But:** I'm sticking with my suggestion: Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter. I would already have tested this myself but for the heck of it I can't get the telltale window to work on my system for figuring out whether it causes anything weird while running Pegasus Mail via my debugger, otherwise I might already have an idea. It's really important to figure out any contributing factors since it won't only help you but also us for fixing issues that sooner or later will affect other users as well, and it's always a lot easier if we can duplicate such issues ourselves. Having your dump available is already a step forward, but it doesn't look like anything I can help with myself.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

As quoted by idw PMAIL COMMUNITY 9:55 PM (20 minutes ago) to me (jacobsfw), Hi, idw

"But: I'm sticking with my suggestion: Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter. I would already have tested this myself but for the heck of it I can't get the telltale window to work on my system for figuring out whether it causes anything weird while running Pegasus Mail via my debugger, otherwise I might already have an idea. It's really important to figure out any contributing factors since it won't only help you but also us for fixing issues that sooner or later will affect other users as well, and it's always a lot easier if we can duplicate such issues ourselves. Having your dump available is already a step forward, but it doesn't look like anything I can help with myself."

Oh my GOD!!!! To repeat the above:

"Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter.

I don't know how to do this, i.e. turn off the "telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter"!

After all this correspondence on this platform, over the past two weeks... if you can give me some clue how to this I would be grateful!!! As I stated many times before, I'm totally Naive, but a faithful user that has contributed money many times before and I'd be totally grateful for some advice on how to to get my beloved Pegasus mail working normally again!

Again, I'm just a faithful user of David Harris's Pegasus mail since 1993 and would like it to work again, as it did for me for the past 35+ years that I've been using it.

What happened to the old days when I used to sent an email to support and I received information on how to fix issues! Please don't tag me as being abrasive, I'm just reciting my experience as being a user since David Harris first put this email client platform forward back in the early 1990's.

Again, Is there any body on this platform that can help me, and to show me how to uninstall Pegasus email's client and then re-install it so that I can access and save my 30+ years of use of David Harris's gift to us all without losing all of my personal data, my Peg mail settings, my personal correspondence to friends, family, and many different work colleagues over the 35+ years I've been using Peg Mail!

Thank You and Please help me if you can!

Kind Regards, Bill Jacobs (jacobsfw@sbcglobal.net)!

As quoted by idw PMAIL COMMUNITY 9:55 PM (20 minutes ago) to me (jacobsfw), Hi, idw _ "But: I'm sticking with my suggestion: Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter. I would already have tested this myself but for the heck of it I can't get the telltale window to work on my system for figuring out whether it causes anything weird while running Pegasus Mail via my debugger, otherwise I might already have an idea. It's really important to figure out any contributing factors since it won't only help you but also us for fixing issues that sooner or later will affect other users as well, and it's always a lot easier if we can duplicate such issues ourselves. Having your dump available is already a step forward, but it doesn't look like anything I can help with myself."_ Oh my GOD!!!! To repeat the above: _"Please turn off the telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter. _ I don't know how to do this, i.e. turn off the "telltale notification and check whether it prevents any of the issues you encounter"! After all this correspondence on this platform, over the past two weeks... if you can give me some clue how to this I would be grateful!!! As I stated many times before, I'm totally Naive, but a faithful user that has contributed money many times before and I'd be totally grateful for some advice on how to to get my beloved Pegasus mail working normally again! Again, I'm just a faithful user of David Harris's Pegasus mail since 1993 and would like it to work again, as it did for me for the past 35+ years that I've been using it. What happened to the old days when I used to sent an email to support and I received information on how to fix issues! Please don't tag me as being abrasive, I'm just reciting my experience as being a user since David Harris first put this email client platform forward back in the early 1990's. ** Again, Is there any body on this platform that can help me, and to show me how to uninstall Pegasus email's client and then re-install it so that I can access and save my 30+ years of use of David Harris's gift to us all without losing all of my personal data, my Peg mail settings, my personal correspondence to friends, family, and many different work colleagues over the 35+ years I've been using Peg Mail!** **Thank You and Please help me if you can!** Kind Regards, Bill Jacobs (jacobsfw@sbcglobal.net)!

Please be patient, we will find a solution, and in doing so it will help us as well, no reason to get desparate or to apologize for anything! That's why we are here for you!

For turning off the telltale notification please to to Tools > Options > Reporting/logging and on top of the right page you'll find the option:

655eedadb6b5b

And BTW: Now that you got it working please send some more of the dump files to the betareports account to see whether they contain some more information not covered by the first one.

Please be patient, we will find a solution, and in doing so it will help us as well, no reason to get desparate or to apologize for anything! That's why we are here for you! For turning off the telltale notification please to to Tools > Options > Reporting/logging and on top of the right page you'll find the option: ![655eedadb6b5b](serve/attachment&path=655eedadb6b5b) And BTW: Now that you got it working please send some more of the dump files to the betareports account to see whether they contain some more information not covered by the first one.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Nov 23 '23 at 8:19 am

Something that might possible show something that isn't obvious with issue.
https://www.dependencywalker.com/

Has a 32bit version (X86) that I've used with Pegasus mainly to check on dlls and it has Pegasus running inside of the program, and shows lots of background info.

Might not show anything, but also might flag something.

Runs program with WINPM-32.exe and options any command line options.

DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE

Than select profile and start profile (or F7)
Shows the start of program loading, and eventually has Pegasus come up and can run normally.
Can jump between Pegasus and Dependency walker will doing things to see if any messages pop up. Eventually when you close Pegasus, it goes back to screen and can review things.
I generally just use default settings, but it has lots of options. Program is old, but seems to work fine.

Something that might possible show something that isn't obvious with issue. https://www.dependencywalker.com/ Has a 32bit version (X86) that I've used with Pegasus mainly to check on dlls and it has Pegasus running inside of the program, and shows lots of background info. Might not show anything, but also might flag something. Runs program with WINPM-32.exe and options any command line options. DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE Than select profile and start profile (or F7) Shows the start of program loading, and eventually has Pegasus come up and can run normally. Can jump between Pegasus and Dependency walker will doing things to see if any messages pop up. Eventually when you close Pegasus, it goes back to screen and can review things. I generally just use default settings, but it has lots of options. Program is old, but seems to work fine.

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft