Community Discussions and Support
Issues receiving new mail

Program is old, but seems to work fine.

Got it, but you can achieve a lot more using Process Explorer.

[quote="pid:56205, uid:2546"]Program is old, but seems to work fine.[/quote] Got it, but you can achieve a lot more using [Process Explorer.](https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Not sure how the Process Explorer would work with running a program.
With the Depends it is just
DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE and then use the profile option and it loads the program and shows info on the DLLs that are being loaded or missing. See the new TER looks for some DLLs that are not included with Pegasus. SPELL32.DLL (think TER spelling checker that doesn't seem as nice as one Pegaus Includes). 94208 Mar 22 2022 TXML2.DLL is another that it looks for, got it from makers site, and put that in Programs directory. Putting the SPELL32.DLL in directory gets rid of the not found, but make no difference in running.

Have the process explorer, but seems it wants a PID versus actually loading program directly.

After closing the Pegasus these are last few lines of log.
DllMain(0x7BBB0000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
DllMain(0x7B680000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.DLL" called.
DllMain(0x7B680000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
DllMain(0x7BD20000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" called.
DllMain(0x7BD20000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
Exited "c:\pmail\programs\WINPM-32.EXE" (process 0x114) with code 0 (0x0).

Not sure how the Process Explorer would work with running a program. With the Depends it is just DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE and then use the profile option and it loads the program and shows info on the DLLs that are being loaded or missing. See the new TER looks for some DLLs that are not included with Pegasus. SPELL32.DLL (think TER spelling checker that doesn't seem as nice as one Pegaus Includes). 94208 Mar 22 2022 TXML2.DLL is another that it looks for, got it from makers site, and put that in Programs directory. Putting the SPELL32.DLL in directory gets rid of the not found, but make no difference in running. Have the process explorer, but seems it wants a PID versus actually loading program directly. After closing the Pegasus these are last few lines of log. DllMain(0x7BBB0000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL" returned 1 (0x1). DllMain(0x7B680000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.DLL" called. DllMain(0x7B680000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.DLL" returned 1 (0x1). DllMain(0x7BD20000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" called. DllMain(0x7BD20000, DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, 0x00000001) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" returned 1 (0x1). Exited "c:\pmail\programs\WINPM-32.EXE" (process 0x114) with code 0 (0x0).

mikes@guam.net

Mike, this is really not an issue to discuss here. ProcessExplorer can track processes and provide call stacks like WinDbg can, and Bill can't and isn't supposed to do any of this, period.

Mike, this is really not an issue to discuss here. ProcessExplorer can track processes and provide call stacks like WinDbg can, and Bill can't and isn't supposed to do any of this, period.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Wasn't looking at having him do any real debugging.
Just do DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE
and press F7 key and do a normal run of Pegasus and close it.
Then just look for any yellow or red messages it might show.
Seems something strange is going on.
But will leave it to you guys...

Wasn't looking at having him do any real debugging. Just do DEPENDS.EXE ./WINPM-32.EXE and press F7 key and do a normal run of Pegasus and close it. Then just look for any yellow or red messages it might show. Seems something strange is going on. But will leave it to you guys...

mikes@guam.net

Please be patient, we will find a solution, and in doing so it will help us as well, no reason to get desparate or to apologize for anything! That's why we are here for you!

This is very kind of you and now I feel very embarrassed for posting what can only described as my ranting and raving! Now that I understand how to turn off the "telltale notification window" I will get back to you with another post to tell if it helped. I will also try to get the several other dump files to you (as *.dmp files) either via Pegasus mail, of if that fails, via my gmail account.

[quote="pid:56204, uid:2133"]Please be patient, we will find a solution, and in doing so it will help us as well, no reason to get desparate or to apologize for anything! That's why we are here for you![/quote] This is very kind of you and now I feel very embarrassed for posting what can only described as my ranting and raving! Now that I understand how to turn off the "telltale notification window" I will get back to you with another post to tell if it helped. I will also try to get the several other dump files to you (as *.dmp files) either via Pegasus mail, of if that fails, via my gmail account.

Dear Michael,

Shutting off the Telltale window unfortunately did not stop the Pegasus mail hanging issue.

I tried twice (using Task Manager to shut down each time) to be sure there was no fix with this change. In the past (and still in effect) I also have enabled the icon in the system tray and playing a sound file with new mail (I don't know if this might be important).

We are celebrating Thanksgiving with some family members who have traveled far to get here today, so I will be sending the *.dmp files later tonight (USA Eastern Time).

Thank You and Kind Regards, Bill

Dear Michael, Shutting off the Telltale window unfortunately did not stop the Pegasus mail hanging issue. I tried twice (using Task Manager to shut down each time) to be sure there was no fix with this change. In the past (and still in effect) I also have enabled the icon in the system tray and playing a sound file with new mail (I don't know if this might be important). We are celebrating Thanksgiving with some family members who have traveled far to get here today, so I will be sending the *.dmp files later tonight (USA Eastern Time). Thank You and Kind Regards, Bill

No need to hurry, we are at a point where we definitely need to involve David Harris, and he's usually offline during weekends anyway. I know that he was working on a shutdown issue recently so maybe your case is related somehow or he may currently be a little bit closer to this code than he would usually be during his work on Pegasus Mail.

No need to hurry, we are at a point where we definitely need to involve David Harris, and he's usually offline during weekends anyway. I know that he was working on a shutdown issue recently so maybe your case is related somehow or he may currently be a little bit closer to this code than he would usually be during his work on Pegasus Mail.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I'm still here too. Lurking for now.

Happy Thanksgiving Bill. Enjoy your time with family.

I'm still here too. Lurking for now. Happy Thanksgiving Bill. Enjoy your time with family.

Dear Brian and Michael,

Thank you both very much for your kind wishes!

I was able to use my Pegasus mail to send eight .dmp files to beta-report[at]pmail.gen.nz, obtained from .cab files that were generated via PMDebug Snapshot over the past few days when my Pegasus mail hangs while trying to shutdown. Please let me know if the attachments were received OK.

As mentioned previously, after forcing shutdown with Task manager and reopening Pegasus mail, only then do the emails down-loaded in the previous session appear in my Inbox.

I hope the attached files will help with a fix for my Pegasus mail.

Kind Regards, Bill

Dear Brian and Michael, Thank you both very much for your kind wishes! I was able to use my Pegasus mail to send eight *.dmp files to beta-report[at]pmail.gen.nz, obtained from *.cab files that were generated via PMDebug Snapshot over the past few days when my Pegasus mail hangs while trying to shutdown. Please let me know if the attachments were received OK. As mentioned previously, after forcing shutdown with Task manager and reopening Pegasus mail, only then do the emails down-loaded in the previous session appear in my Inbox. I hope the attached files will help with a fix for my Pegasus mail. Kind Regards, Bill

Guys, my mind has been working on this issue since the original post so I am here to document my thoughts. Nothing needs to be done at the moment. This is just a brain dump for future reference if needed. Obviously an identification of the problem from a dump file will be best.

• Understand the current installation via the Info button content.

• Is there an anomaly in a POP3 internet session log?

• During hang, is "not responding" being displayed? If so, how long waited?

• Is there a ding when clicking in pmail window during hang? (hidden dialog box?)

• New mail filters?

• Autofilters?

• AV/Malware scanning of new mail?

Guys, my mind has been working on this issue since the original post so I am here to document my thoughts. Nothing needs to be done at the moment. This is just a brain dump for future reference if needed. Obviously an identification of the problem from a dump file will be best. - Understand the current installation via the Info button content. - Is there an anomaly in a POP3 internet session log? - During hang, is "not responding" being displayed? If so, how long waited? - Is there a ding when clicking in pmail window during hang? (hidden dialog box?) - New mail filters? - Autofilters? - AV/Malware scanning of new mail?

New mail filters?

Ok, first I have to apologize to Mike, he was right with his assumption regarding this subject above (and thanks for your ideas as well, Brian): It's new mail filtering apparently causing an infinite loop which can only be terminated via task manager.

When looking at the very first dump I did it on Windows 10, and apparently (something I wasn't prepared to see) this had a misleading effect on the stack trace I saw. Now, after opening a couple of more dumps on Windows 7 (i.e. your system, Bill) it's very clear that Pegasus Mail is working on new mail filtering when being terminated during the hang, in case you want to get an idea of what I'm seeing, here's a sample case (to be read from bottom up):

winpm_32!fm_getc(long id = 1)
winpm_32!fm_get_folded_line(long fil = 1, char * line = 0x... "To: ...
winpm_32!get_header(long fil = 1, char * str = 0x... "To: ...
winpm_32!check_rules(struct IMESSAGE ...
winpm_32!apply_rules(struct LIST ...
winpm_32!apply_newmail_rules(struct LIST ...
winpm_32!browse_proc(struct HWND ...

What you can tell from the above function calls is that Pegasus Mail executes a new mail filter rule on the To: header line. So if you already have an idea of the line being affected you may simply disable it or disable the whole rule set (if you don't remember where to find it see the screen shot below). I'll also send you (via mail message) a more detailed version of the call stack containing the contents of the rule being applied (or, if there are different ones in different dumps, several ones) so you can better locate them).

6563cfba68c16

PS: An additional information, from the filename shown in the dump it's a closing rule, not an opening rule!

PPS: This certainly applies to the hang on closing Pegasus Mail, but would it also apply to the download issue? Only if the new mal folder is closed after downloading, and not in preview mode, since there is no on-close filtering in the latter case AFAIK.

[quote="pid:56217, uid:28772"]New mail filters?[/quote] Ok, first I have to apologize to Mike, he was right with his assumption regarding this subject above (and thanks for your ideas as well, Brian): It's new mail filtering apparently causing an infinite loop which can only be terminated via task manager. When looking at the very first dump I did it on Windows 10, and apparently (something I wasn't prepared to see) this had a misleading effect on the stack trace I saw. Now, after opening a couple of more dumps on Windows 7 (i.e. your system, Bill) it's very clear that Pegasus Mail is working on new mail filtering when being terminated during the hang, in case you want to get an idea of what I'm seeing, here's a sample case (to be read from bottom up): > winpm_32!fm_getc(long id = 1) **winpm_32!fm_get_folded_line(long fil = 1, char * line = 0x... "To: ...** **winpm_32!get_header(long fil = 1, char * str = 0x... "To: ...** winpm_32!check_rules(struct IMESSAGE ... winpm_32!apply_rules(struct LIST ... **winpm_32!apply_newmail_rules(struct LIST ...** winpm_32!browse_proc(struct HWND ... What you can tell from the above function calls is that Pegasus Mail executes a new mail filter rule on the **To:** header line. So if you already have an idea of the line being affected you may simply disable it or disable the whole rule set (if you don't remember where to find it see the screen shot below). I'll also send you (via mail message) a more detailed version of the call stack containing the contents of the rule being applied (or, if there are different ones in different dumps, several ones) so you can better locate them). ![6563cfba68c16](serve/attachment&path=6563cfba68c16) PS: An additional information, from the filename shown in the dump it's a **closing** rule, not an opening rule! PPS: This certainly applies to the hang on closing Pegasus Mail, but would it also apply to the download issue? Only if the new mal folder is closed after downloading, and not in preview mode, since there is no on-close filtering in the latter case AFAIK.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Nov 27 '23 at 12:07 am

PS: An additional information, from the filename shown in the dump it's a closing rule, not an opening rule!

An infinite loop in new mail filtering was a strong suspicion of mine. I am anxious to understand how a folder close filter could cause a hang during new mail retrieval. Perhaps the attempt to close Pegasus Mail was triggering it but the infinite loop in the new mail filter affected its execution.

[quote="pid:56218, uid:2133"]PS: An additional information, from the filename shown in the dump it's a closing rule, not an opening rule![/quote] An infinite loop in new mail filtering was a strong suspicion of mine. I am anxious to understand how a folder close filter could cause a hang during new mail retrieval. Perhaps the attempt to close Pegasus Mail was triggering it but the infinite loop in the new mail filter affected its execution.

I am anxious to understand how a folder close filter could cause a hang during new mail retrieval.

Yep, see my PPS just added to the post above while you where submitting your reply ...

[quote="pid:56219, uid:28772"]I am anxious to understand how a folder close filter could cause a hang during new mail retrieval.[/quote] Yep, see my PPS just added to the post above while you where submitting your reply ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for finding what appears to be causing the issues I'm having (or at least a major factor behind the new mail not loading and the program hanging trying to execute a normal shutdown).

However, before I do anything I want to make sure I know how to follow through on your instructions that may lead to a fix. If I read you correctly you said I should:

What you can tell from the above function calls is that Pegasus Mail executes a new mail filter rule on the To: header line. So if you already have an idea of the line being affected you may simply disable it or disable the whole rule set (if you don't remember where to find it see the screen shot below).

Honestly, I don't know what mail filter rule I did (or when) either on a To: or on a filter close rule, so probably I should delete them all to be safe. Looking at your screen shot I see "Edit New" and "Edit copy-self" lines as well as "Create/edit general rule set" and "Create/edit POP3 rule set". Which one(s) are where I should click on? I speculate that there is something like a "Delete all" buried in one or more of these lines in this "Mail Filtering rules" window somewhere? Is this correct? How exactly do I (to use your words) "simply disable the whole rules set"?

Thanks again for your patience and all your work, Bill

Dear Michael, Thank you very much for finding what appears to be causing the issues I'm having (or at least a major factor behind the new mail not loading and the program hanging trying to execute a normal shutdown). However, before I do anything I want to make sure I know how to follow through on your instructions that may lead to a fix. If I read you correctly you said I should: [quote="pid:56218, uid:2133"]What you can tell from the above function calls is that Pegasus Mail executes a new mail filter rule on the To: header line. So if you already have an idea of the line being affected you may simply disable it or disable the whole rule set (if you don't remember where to find it see the screen shot below).[/quote] Honestly, I don't know what mail filter rule I did (or when) either on a **To:** or on a filter close rule, so probably I should delete them all to be safe. Looking at your screen shot I see "Edit New" and "Edit copy-self" lines as well as "Create/edit general rule set" and "Create/edit POP3 rule set". Which one(s) are where I should click on? I speculate that there is something like a "Delete all" buried in one or more of these lines in this "Mail Filtering rules" window somewhere? Is this correct? How exactly do I (to use your words) "simply disable the whole rules set"? Thanks again for your patience and all your work, Bill

Bill, are you comfortable working with a file explore to rename files? I ask because temporarily removing all filter files by renaming them is the easiest way to take them out of the picture for testing but I wanted to make sure that you are comfortable doing that before pursuing it.

If you are, while in Pegasus Mail go to Help > About Pegasus Mail then click the Info button. Copy the entire content of the resulting window and paste it into a reply. This will allow us to provide specific instructions. There is nothing personal in that display.

Bill, are you comfortable working with a file explore to rename files? I ask because temporarily removing all filter files by renaming them is the easiest way to take them out of the picture for testing but I wanted to make sure that you are comfortable doing that before pursuing it. If you are, while in Pegasus Mail go to Help > About Pegasus Mail then click the Info button. Copy the entire content of the resulting window and paste it into a reply. This will allow us to provide specific instructions. There is nothing personal in that display.

Seems Rule files are WINRULEA.PMC and WINRULES.PMC.
Seems one could also use the edit option and click on the disable rules box to temporarily disable them? I only have 23 lines in mine. Currently only one is disabled.
That way one could test with all disabled, and then enable them one by one to find which one might be causing issue.
Tools / Mail Filtering Rules / Edit.

Seems Rule files are WINRULEA.PMC and WINRULES.PMC. Seems one could also use the edit option and click on the disable rules box to temporarily disable them? I only have 23 lines in mine. Currently only one is disabled. That way one could test with all disabled, and then enable them one by one to find which one might be causing issue. Tools / Mail Filtering Rules / Edit.

mikes@guam.net

Hi Brian,

To answer your question, no I don't have any problem with using file explorer to rename files.

However, now I'm embarrassed again because I'm guessing from your explanation about renaming filter files and testing them the result may have isolated the file(s) that are causing the issues and in-so-doing would have taught me (and others) on this forum exactly what not to do with filtering rules in the future!

The above is a lead in to my confession here: I went ahead and following Michael's screen shot, found the windows listing all my filtering rules for both incoming and outgoing filters, then I "jumped the gun" and deleted them all!

So sorry!

However, I did take screen shots of all of the incoming filter rules and without using up a lot of space will display one of the four shots I took (over 30+ years I generated many incoming filter rules). So unless you want to see them all, I'll show you the one screen shot here that had a "RED" mark on the file for improperly completing the rule... here:

6564f94f69aff

Brian - The bottom line is that my Pegasus Mail seems to be working correctly once again thanks to you, Michael and possibly others. I can't thank all of you enough for all your patience and help!

I have been retired now for some years and with a fixed income cannot donate as much to David Harris as I did in the past, but I'll be sure to send him a decent gift using his donate buttons at the top of Pegasus! You guys are just great and please tell David I said so!

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!
Bill

Hi Brian, To answer your question, no I don't have any problem with using file explorer to rename files. However, now I'm embarrassed again because I'm guessing from your explanation about renaming filter files and testing them the result may have isolated the file(s) that are causing the issues and in-so-doing would have taught me (and others) on this forum exactly what not to do with filtering rules in the future! The above is a lead in to my confession here: I went ahead and following Michael's screen shot, found the windows listing all my filtering rules for both incoming and outgoing filters, then I "jumped the gun" and deleted them all! So sorry! However, I did take screen shots of all of the incoming filter rules and without using up a lot of space will display one of the four shots I took (over 30+ years I generated many incoming filter rules). So unless you want to see them all, I'll show you the one screen shot here that had a "RED" mark on the file for improperly completing the rule... here: ![6564f94f69aff](serve/attachment&path=6564f94f69aff) **Brian - The bottom line is that my Pegasus Mail seems to be working correctly once again thanks to you, Michael and possibly others. I can't thank all of you enough for all your patience and help!** I have been retired now for some years and with a fixed income cannot donate as much to David Harris as I did in the past, but I'll be sure to send him a decent gift using his donate buttons at the top of Pegasus! You guys are just great and please tell David I said so! Thanks so much and Happy Holidays! Bill

Brian - The bottom line is that my Pegasus Mail seems to be working correctly once again thanks to you, Michael and possibly others. I can't thank all of you enough for all your patience and help!

I'm glad you have it fixed. Best wishes to you for a Happy Holidays.

[quote="pid:56224, uid:39421"]Brian - The bottom line is that my Pegasus Mail seems to be working correctly once again thanks to you, Michael and possibly others. I can't thank all of you enough for all your patience and help![/quote] I'm glad you have it fixed. Best wishes to you for a Happy Holidays.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft