Community Discussions and Support
What is the max number of emails allowed in a folder?

[quote user="Casteele"]

[snip]

Because of that, and the human limitation (how on earth can you manage to even look at a folder with 60,000 messages and not want to run around blowing things up!?), maybe you should break the folder down into sub-folders? A common scheme I use is to create filing trays, such as "9-Archives", each with sub-trays like "9-2007", which again have sub-trays like "9-2007-01", "9-2007-02", etc. Basically, the "9" is the digit I use to identify my archives.. then they're grouped by year ("2007"), then once more by month ("01", "02", etc.)

Of course, this results in many more folders on your hard disk. However, most filesystems are better at handling medium sized files than very small or very large files. Likewise, searching, sorting and filtering individual, or even multiple medium sized files goes a lot faster than it would with many small or large files. It's an age-old trade-off in computing; Balancing number of "nodes" vs. the size of each "node" to obtain the optimum configuration.

Regards,

C. M.

[/quote]

I concur.  Files occasionally get corrupted -- Pegasus email folders seem  unusually susceptible to this.  Re-indexing often does not solve the problem, and copying emails to a new folder usually fails as well when this happens.

Keeping a large number of emails in a single folder (and 60,000 is an extremely large number!) is just foolhardy, IMHO. The OP is courting disaster here!

[quote user="Casteele"]<p>[snip]</p> <p>Because of that, and the human limitation (how on earth can you manage to even look at a folder with 60,000 messages and not want to run around blowing things up!?), maybe you should break the folder down into sub-folders? A common scheme I use is to create filing trays, such as "9-Archives", each with sub-trays like "9-2007", which again have sub-trays like "9-2007-01", "9-2007-02", etc. Basically, the "9" is the digit I use to identify my archives.. then they're grouped by year ("2007"), then once more by month ("01", "02", etc.)</p> <p>Of course, this results in many more folders on your hard disk. However, most filesystems are better at handling medium sized files than very small or very large files. Likewise, searching, sorting and filtering individual, or even multiple medium sized files goes a lot faster than it would with many small or large files. It's an age-old trade-off in computing; Balancing number of "nodes" vs. the size of each "node" to obtain the optimum configuration.</p> <p>Regards, C. M.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I concur.  Files occasionally get corrupted -- Pegasus email folders seem  unusually susceptible to this.  Re-indexing often does not solve the problem, and copying emails to a new folder usually fails as well when this happens.</p><p> Keeping a large number of emails in a single folder (and 60,000 is an extremely large number!) is just foolhardy, IMHO. The OP is courting disaster here! </p>

What is the max number of emails allowed in a folder? I ask this because I have folders with more than 60000 emails and there are problems sorting the folder. Whenever you click on a folder it would sort the emails, but it just stops there.

What is the max number of emails allowed in a folder? I ask this because I have folders with more than 60000 emails and there are problems sorting the folder. Whenever you click on a folder it would sort the emails, but it just stops there.

According to David Harris the magic number is 65535 messages - once you go beyond this in the current folder format, all bets are off.

Sven

According to David Harris the magic number is 65535 messages - once you go beyond this in the current folder format, all bets are off. Sven

Will there be any fix for this issue? I have some folders in this situation.

Will there be any fix for this issue? I have some folders in this situation.

This can't be fixed with the current v2.x foldering format. There will be practically no limit with the upcoming new foldering format, though (although no timeframe can be given when this new format will be available). For now you just have to make sure that no more than 65,535 messages are inside any folder.

Sven

This can't be fixed with the current v2.x foldering format. There will be practically no limit with the upcoming new foldering format, though (although no timeframe can be given when this new format will be available). For now you just have to make sure that no more than 65,535 messages are inside any folder. Sven

This sounds like a general computer limitation.. A 16-bit integer (like for a counter/index number) can only count up to 2^16-1 (65,535). There are ways to extend that using more bits, like 32-bit integers (which sounds like the new v5 format will do), allowing around 4 million messages. Keep in mind, however, that larger numbers require more processing overhead, time to sort and filter, etc. They also create files that are that much larger and harder to manage.

Because of that, and the human limitation (how on earth can you manage to even look at a folder with 60,000 messages and not want to run around blowing things up!?), maybe you should break the folder down into sub-folders? A common scheme I use is to create filing trays, such as "9-Archives", each with sub-trays like "9-2007", which again have sub-trays like "9-2007-01", "9-2007-02", etc. Basically, the "9" is the digit I use to identify my archives.. then they're grouped by year ("2007"), then once more by month ("01", "02", etc.)

Of course, this results in many more folders on your hard disk. However, most filesystems are better at handling medium sized files than very small or very large files. Likewise, searching, sorting and filtering individual, or even multiple medium sized files goes a lot faster than it would with many small or large files. It's an age-old trade-off in computing; Balancing number of "nodes" vs. the size of each "node" to obtain the optimum configuration.

Regards,

C. M.

<p>This sounds like a general computer limitation.. A 16-bit integer (like for a counter/index number) can only count up to 2^16-1 (65,535). There are ways to extend that using more bits, like 32-bit integers (which sounds like the new v5 format will do), allowing around 4 million messages. Keep in mind, however, that larger numbers require more processing overhead, time to sort and filter, etc. They also create files that are that much larger and harder to manage.</p> <p>Because of that, and the human limitation (how on earth can you manage to even look at a folder with 60,000 messages and not want to run around blowing things up!?), maybe you should break the folder down into sub-folders? A common scheme I use is to create filing trays, such as "9-Archives", each with sub-trays like "9-2007", which again have sub-trays like "9-2007-01", "9-2007-02", etc. Basically, the "9" is the digit I use to identify my archives.. then they're grouped by year ("2007"), then once more by month ("01", "02", etc.)</p> <p>Of course, this results in many more folders on your hard disk. However, most filesystems are better at handling medium sized files than very small or very large files. Likewise, searching, sorting and filtering individual, or even multiple medium sized files goes a lot faster than it would with many small or large files. It's an age-old trade-off in computing; Balancing number of "nodes" vs. the size of each "node" to obtain the optimum configuration.</p> <p>Regards, C. M.</p>

When will we get the new folder format?
2009?  20010? Even David Harris does not know the answr to this.  
<blockquote>When will we get the new folder format?</blockquote>2009?  20010? Even David Harris does not know the answr to this.  
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft