Community Discussions and Support
SSL setting always vanishes

Something similiar happens to us from time to time. Pegasus looses its internet settings. You have to write your e-mail adress again and add back pop and smtp definitions. At our site this happens roughly 1 time per year and per pc. All are running pegasus 4.4.1 in german with f-prot as antivirus scanner. By the way as this happened to me in some cases I googled this problem and did find some others but never  found a solution.

I do not think that it is a right problem here. Users have appropriate rights. If a needed file was locked by f-prot, would pegasus not notice it as it does with open files you try to attach?

This may be just a wild guess!
This all has to do with pmail.ini.
Pegasus seems to read internet settings from it and stores them into memory at start.  When it is closed these settings are written back. Could it be that the memory locations of these informations get deleted by some other nasty program. So when it comes to writing back there is nothing to write back.

As a kludge I decided today to give my users a script to copy back an faultless pmail.ini over the corrupted one.

What do you think of this?

As this is the first time I post to this forum I would like to thank David Harris for his work.
I am glad to see that the work goes on and wish David and the team a lot of success.

Bill

<P>Something similiar happens to us from time to time. Pegasus looses its internet settings. You have to write your e-mail adress again and add back pop and smtp definitions. At our site this happens roughly 1 time per year and per pc. All are running pegasus 4.4.1 in german with f-prot as antivirus scanner. By the way as this happened to me in some cases I googled this problem and did find some others but never  found a solution.</P> <P>I do not think that it is a right problem here. Users have appropriate rights. If a needed file was locked by f-prot, would pegasus not notice it as it does with open files you try to attach?</P> <P>This may be just a wild guess! This all has to do with pmail.ini. Pegasus seems to read internet settings from it and stores them into memory at start.  When it is closed these settings are written back. Could it be that the memory locations of these informations get deleted by some other nasty program. So when it comes to writing back there is nothing to write back.</P> <P>As a kludge I decided today to give my users a script to copy back an faultless pmail.ini over the corrupted one.</P> <P>What do you think of this?</P> <P>As this is the first time I post to this forum I would like to thank David Harris for his work. I am glad to see that the work goes on and wish David and the team a lot of success.</P> <P>Bill </P>

To access my email I have to use an SSL connection. Once I checked this in "internet options" everything works fine. Unfortunately PMail doesn't remember this option. So everytime when I start Pmail, I have to perform 9 mouseclicks: Tools - Internet Options - Receiving (POP3) - Edit - Security - Via direct SSL connect - Change - Ok - Ok.

What am I doing wrong, how can I save this option?

This occurs on several Windows PCs, XP SP2 (Professional and Home ed) with admin equivalent userIDs.

Thanks for suggestions

Cheers

Peter

<p>To access my email I have to use an SSL connection. Once I checked this in "internet options" everything works fine. Unfortunately PMail doesn't remember this option. So everytime when I start Pmail, I have to perform 9 mouseclicks: Tools - Internet Options - Receiving (POP3) - Edit - Security - Via direct SSL connect - Change - Ok - Ok. </p><p>What am I doing wrong, how can I save this option?</p><p>This occurs on several Windows PCs, XP SP2 (Professional and Home ed) with admin equivalent userIDs. </p><p>Thanks for suggestions</p><p>Cheers</p><p>Peter  </p>

hmmm that sounds so strange for me. I'm using Pmail at home and at work, in each case i use different system (Xp and 2000) and in both cases i use ssl connection, and there is no problem with that option. Maybe somehow your files are set to read only ?
Karol

hmmm that sounds so strange for me. I'm using Pmail at home and at work, in each case i use different system (Xp and 2000) and in both cases i use ssl connection, and there is no problem with that option. Maybe somehow your files are set to read only ? Karol

It sounds as though there might be some problem writing the definition file back to disk. Are there any issues with rights on these machine (i.e, does the problem occur if you run as an administrator user)? Is there anything running in the background that might be interfering with file access (for instance, an over-aggressive antivirus scanner)? Are any of your *.PND files (in your home mailbox directory) perhaps marked read-only at the operating system level?

I certainly can't reproduce this here, nor have I seen it reported in the technical support forums.

Cheers!

-- David --

It sounds as though there might be some problem writing the definition file back to disk. Are there any issues with rights on these machine (i.e, does the problem occur if you run as an administrator user)? Is there anything running in the background that might be interfering with file access (for instance, an over-aggressive antivirus scanner)? Are any of your *.PND files (in your home mailbox directory) perhaps marked read-only at the operating system level? I certainly can't reproduce this here, nor have I seen it reported in the technical support forums. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft