Community Discussions and Support
Mercury/32 - Outlook client send error

Just to clarify:

• MercuryS: SMTP Server module that receives incoming SMTP email from SMTP clients and from other SMTP servers.
  • MercuryC or MercuryE: SMTP Client module that sends outgoing SMTP email to other SMTP servers; MercuryC is a relay client that simply relays all outgoing mail to a specified SMTP server whereas MercuryE is an End-to-end delivery client that can do domain name resolution in order to contact the recipient's SMTP mail server and deliver the SMTP email message directly.
  • MercuryP: POP3 Server module provides new emails to POP3 clients
  • MercuryD: POP3 Client module downloads new emails from other POP3 hosts on behalf of your users

I recommend that you keep the "do not permit SMTP relaying of non-local mail" option enabled at all times.  Otherwise, your Mercury server will become known as an "open relay", which is a bad thing and which will get your Mercury server's IP address added to various blacklists.  Instead, I recommend adding your local subnet(s) to MercuryS's connection control's Allow column and optionally enabling the "strict relaying" option.  If you have any remote users that use public IP addresses outside of your control, then see about using SMTP authentication in Outlook when relaying email through Mercury.

<P>Just to clarify:</P> <UL> <LI>MercuryS: SMTP Server module that receives incoming SMTP email from SMTP clients and from other SMTP servers.</LI> <LI>MercuryC or MercuryE: SMTP Client module that sends outgoing SMTP email to other SMTP servers; MercuryC is a relay client that simply relays all outgoing mail to a specified SMTP server whereas MercuryE is an End-to-end delivery client that can do domain name resolution in order to contact the recipient's SMTP mail server and deliver the SMTP email message directly.</LI> <LI>MercuryP: POP3 Server module provides new emails to POP3 clients</LI> <LI>MercuryD: POP3 Client module downloads new emails from other POP3 hosts on behalf of your users</LI></UL> <P>I recommend that you keep the "do not permit SMTP relaying of non-local mail" option enabled at all times.  Otherwise, your Mercury server will become known as an "open relay", which is a bad thing and which will get your Mercury server's IP address added to various blacklists.  Instead, I recommend adding your local subnet(s) to MercuryS's connection control's Allow column and optionally enabling the "strict relaying" option.  If you have any remote users that use public IP addresses outside of your control, then see about using SMTP authentication in Outlook when relaying email through Mercury.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi guys.

I'm wanting to migrate my users to Mercury/32.
 I have POP3 fetch working, and Outlook connect to Mercury machine and fetching incoming mail.

If I try to send I get error message during Send/Receive -  (MercuryC SMTP Client)

Unable to connect to the server (Account: 'TechnoMail', SMTP server '192.168.1.77', error number 0x800ccc0e)

Any clues, please ? 

<p>Hi guys.</p><p> I'm wanting to migrate my users to Mercury/32.  I have POP3 fetch working, and Outlook connect to Mercury machine and fetching incoming mail. </p><p> If I try to send I get error message during Send/Receive -  (MercuryC SMTP Client)</p><p> Unable to connect to the server (Account: 'TechnoMail', SMTP server '192.168.1.77', error number 0x800ccc0e)</p><p> Any clues, please ? </p><p>   </p>

> If I try to send I get error message during Send/Receive -  (MercuryC SMTP Client)

Is that really what you mean? MercuryC handles *outgoing* mail, not incoming mail. You have to have the MercuryS SMTP *Server* module running to accept the connections from your Outlook users.

My guess is that you simply haven't enabled MercuryS - the Outlook error appears to suggest that there's no SMTP server listening on 192.168.1.77.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>> If I try to send I get error message during Send/Receive -  (MercuryC SMTP Client) Is that really what you mean? MercuryC handles *outgoing* mail, not incoming mail. You have to have the MercuryS SMTP *Server* module running to accept the connections from your Outlook users. My guess is that you simply haven't enabled MercuryS - the Outlook error appears to suggest that there's no SMTP server listening on 192.168.1.77. Cheers! -- David --  </p>

Quite correct, Mr Harris, Sir :-)

My understanding was off.
I needed BOTH modules to be running before things started working.
(I now have 4 modules active - P and D for retrieval, C and S for sending.)

I had to uncheck SMTP relaying to get messages to leave the server.
The config is one machine acting as postmaster for an office.
Other workstations on the LAN connect to this one, which has access out of the firewall.

I'll raise another post to discuss core config settings.
( How to prevent "internal" mail from going via the ISP.)
Some users have multiple email accounts.
That's not critical as we can now migrate the main users already.

Thanx for your time . . . and thanks for re-starting dev and support !! 

Robin.

<p>Quite correct, Mr Harris, Sir :-)</p><p>My understanding was off. I needed BOTH modules to be running before things started working. (I now have 4 modules active - P and D for retrieval, C and S for sending.) </p><p>I had to uncheck SMTP relaying to get messages to leave the server. The config is one machine acting as postmaster for an office. Other workstations on the LAN connect to this one, which has access out of the firewall. </p><p>I'll raise another post to discuss core config settings. ( How to prevent "internal" mail from going via the ISP.) Some users have multiple email accounts. That's not critical as we can now migrate the main users already.</p><p> </p><p>Thanx for your time . . . and thanks for re-starting dev and support !! </p><p> Robin.  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Methuselah"]I had to uncheck SMTP relaying to get messages to leave the server.[/quote]

It's good practise to ensure that both the top two checkboxes are ticked and only allow specified IP addresses (from your local LAN) to relay.

Re internal mail - ensure all the domains that you want to handle in Mercury are in LocalDomains in core configuration.

paul

[quote user="Methuselah"]I had to uncheck SMTP relaying to get messages to leave the server.[/quote] It's good practise to ensure that both the top two checkboxes are ticked and only allow specified IP addresses (from your local LAN) to relay. Re internal mail - ensure all the domains that you want to handle in Mercury are in LocalDomains in core configuration. paul
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft