Community Discussions and Support
Mailing list headers

Hi !

Perhaps you can evaluate this Python scripting feature by setting up a partnership with a local university or school, and their computer science department. For instance, this could be suggested as a subject for a thesis or something like an end-of-the-year-programming project. Also, this way, you can attract more users to Pegasus Mail amongst the younger ones, and maybe even future developpers and coders who will join our growing community. I think it is a win-win suggestion, on your side the coding is done by someone else, the students as a project, and on their side, it is surely an interesting and challenging project which gives the students the opportunity to work and contribute to a "real" program. So what do you think ? (Maybe this has nothing to do anymore with the title of this thread, in that case I am counting on the moderators :-)).

Bye !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi !</p><p>Perhaps you can evaluate this Python scripting feature by setting up a partnership with a local university or school, and their computer science department. For instance, this could be suggested as a subject for a thesis or something like an end-of-the-year-programming project. Also, this way, you can attract more users to Pegasus Mail amongst the younger ones, and maybe even future developpers and coders who will join our growing community. I think it is a win-win suggestion, on your side the coding is done by someone else, the students as a project, and on their side, it is surely an interesting and challenging project which gives the students the opportunity to work and contribute to a "real" program. So what do you think ? (Maybe this has nothing to do anymore with the title of this thread, in that case I am counting on the moderators :-)).</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>

I recently changed my preferences on a mailing list to add a "[PM-WIN]" string to the subject line. This allows me to see, when using selective download, if a message is from the Pegasus list.

At the time I did this, I was asked to remember to remove that string when replying to list messages, as a courtesy to those who don't have this list option set.

The problem with that is that my fingers have a mind of their own. When I want to respond to a message, away they go, typing in the answer, trimming the quotes, etc., and finally sending it, complete with my "[PM-WIN]" string in the header.

What I would like to do is to keep the setting on the list options to insert the string, but once it gets to my machine, I'd like to strip it out before my new mail filters put it into its folder, or at least before the destination folder opens. I don't see any way to do this with filters, and realize that it would be a difficult thing to implement as a filter action.  So, before I set out to try writing an external program to do this, I thought I'd better check to see if it is possible to do it without writing a program.

Anyone?

<p>I recently changed my preferences on a mailing list to add a "[PM-WIN]" string to the subject line. This allows me to see, when using selective download, if a message is from the Pegasus list.</p><p>At the time I did this, I was asked to remember to remove that string when replying to list messages, as a courtesy to those who don't have this list option set.</p><p>The problem with that is that my fingers have a mind of their own. When I want to respond to a message, away they go, typing in the answer, trimming the quotes, etc., and finally sending it, complete with my "[PM-WIN]" string in the header.</p><p>What I would like to do is to keep the setting on the list options to insert the string, but once it gets to my machine, I'd like to strip it out before my new mail filters put it into its folder, or at least before the destination folder opens. I don't see any way to do this with filters, and realize that it would be a difficult thing to implement as a filter action.  So, before I set out to try writing an external program to do this, I thought I'd better check to see if it is possible to do it without writing a program.</p><p> Anyone?</p><p> </p>

No obvious way I can think of with things as they stand.

This type of thing (essentially scripted automation) is something I've been thinking about for the last couple of years: there are numerous places it might be useful, convenient, or just downright fun to be able to inject a certain amount of user-scripted interaction into the program.

It's definitely a feature I'd like to add in some form or other.

Cheers!

-- David --

No obvious way I can think of with things as they stand. This type of thing (essentially scripted automation) is something I've been thinking about for the last couple of years: there are numerous places it might be useful, convenient, or just downright fun to be able to inject a certain amount of user-scripted interaction into the program. It's definitely a feature I'd like to add in some form or other. Cheers! -- David --

Hi !

I think scripting will be a very powerful tool and would help Pegasus Mail to fly above all other email clients since this kind of feature is not present in those. Now, about the question of how to do it, well I have the following suggestion : I am using the program Gnumeric and natively it does not have a scripting component, but you can add some sort of extensions and obtain one in Python which is said to be a nice language. So why not implement a Python scripting console either directly into the program or as a plug-in or extension ? I think the latter solution would be preferable because people who do not want this feature can simply uninstall it (as with all extensions), and on the programming level, maybe some volunteers out there would like to manage this extension as a side and complementary project, the first community project we might say, so that David and his team can stay focus on Pegasus Mail (of course, from time to time I suppose some sort of information exchange will take place between them). Anyway, I really hope that scripting possibilities will be present very soon.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>I think scripting will be a very powerful tool and would help Pegasus Mail to fly above all other email clients since this kind of feature is not present in those. Now, about the question of how to do it, well I have the following suggestion : I am using the program Gnumeric and natively it does not have a scripting component, but you can add some sort of extensions and obtain one in Python which is said to be a nice language. So why not implement a Python scripting console either directly into the program or as a plug-in or extension ? I think the latter solution would be preferable because people who do not want this feature can simply uninstall it (as with all extensions), and on the programming level, maybe some volunteers out there would like to manage this extension as a side and complementary project, the first community project we might say, so that David and his team can stay focus on Pegasus Mail (of course, from time to time I suppose some sort of information exchange will take place between them). Anyway, I really hope that scripting possibilities will be present very soon.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

I have intended to add support for Python for several years. The principal problem is that I really am not very clear on how to do it - the examples I've been able to find weren't very clear to me.

As a general concept though, Python is the way I'd like to go.

Cheers!

-- David --

I have intended to add support for Python for several years. The principal problem is that I really am not very clear on how to do it - the examples I've been able to find weren't very clear to me. As a general concept though, Python is the way I'd like to go. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft