Community Discussions and Support
Extract Scripting

[quote user="OldManRiver"]

1. Move the Email to the appropriate mailbox (the rules tool does not always do this),

[/quote]

In that case you need to rework the rule. While there is a to-do list for Mercury, there aren't any known problems with the rule engine - it's been around for well over a decade now and is quite proven. If a rule isn't working the way you expect, then you need to reconsider the expression or terms you're using to trigger it.

As for the rest... You can proceed in one of two ways:

1. You could create a rule that executes external program that does the processing you need.
  2. You could create a Mercury policy that passes the message off to an external program.
Extracting the attachment to the directory is probably possible using a rule (depends on whether or not the excel attachment explicitly includes a recognizable file extension, but it almost certainly will). Printing is a little more complicated - you *might* be able to do this from a "Run a prorgam" rule, but that depends on your system and the applications you have available. The policy or external program approach would give you the greatest flexibility in how you proceed.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="OldManRiver"]<ol><li>Move the Email to the appropriate mailbox (the rules tool does not always do this),</li></ol><p>[/quote] In that case you need to rework the rule. While there is a to-do list for Mercury, there aren't any known problems with the rule engine - it's been around for well over a decade now and is quite proven. If a rule isn't working the way you expect, then you need to reconsider the expression or terms you're using to trigger it. As for the rest... You can proceed in one of two ways: </p><ol><li>You could create a rule that executes external program that does the processing you need.</li><li>You could create a Mercury policy that passes the message off to an external program.</li></ol>Extracting the attachment to the directory is probably possible using a rule (depends on whether or not the excel attachment explicitly includes a recognizable file extension, but it almost certainly will). Printing is a little more complicated - you *might* be able to do this from a "Run a prorgam" rule, but that depends on your system and the applications you have available. The policy or external program approach would give you the greatest flexibility in how you proceed. Cheers! -- David --

Hi All,

Been using PMail a long time, since 1998, but need to automate a couple of processes.  Our company is a service company and we get Service Requests via EMail.  When I get one of these I need the following to happen:

1. Move the Email to the appropriate mailbox (the rules tool does not always do this),
  2. Strip off the attached Excel Spreadsheet (the Service Request) and place it in the server folder:
  • folder in:  \\server\client\workorder
  • Kick off another script to strip info from the SR and put it in a Internal WorkOrder (.xls) and print it.
  • I've toyed around with this some and can't get it right.  Need to know if anyone has done something similar where I can profit from your expertise.

Thanks!

OMR 

<p>Hi All,</p><p> </p><p>Been using PMail a long time, since 1998, but need to automate a couple of processes.  Our company is a service company and we get Service Requests via EMail.  When I get one of these I need the following to happen:</p><ol><li>Move the Email to the appropriate mailbox (the rules tool does not always do this),</li><li>Strip off the attached Excel Spreadsheet (the Service Request) and place it in the server folder:</li><ul><li>folder in:  \\server\client\workorder</li></ul><li>Kick off another script to strip info from the SR and put it in a Internal WorkOrder (.xls) and print it.</li></ol><p>I've toyed around with this some and can't get it right.  Need to know if anyone has done something similar where I can profit from your expertise.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks!</p><p> </p><p>OMR </p>
    live preview
    enter atleast 10 characters
    WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
    Saving...
    Saved
    With selected deselect posts show selected posts
    All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
    Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
    Discard draft