Community Discussions and Support
New ISP

Success!  I finally found a combination that worked.  Thought I'd pass this on in case others run into this MSN problem.  I rechecked name and password for spelling, the correct port addresses and settings that you mentioned, etc.  First, msn wants the whole correct email address, not just the prefix.  But the weird setting is to check the "Disable certificate validation" box...  for both the POP3 and SMTP security settings.  I wouldn't 'o thunk it!

Now do you know where I can get a list of file names that Pegasus uses, so I can copy them onto a different computer with a newly installed Pegasus, so they have the same folders, addressbooks, and setups?

In any case, thanks to all who contributed to unraveling my dilemma. I am happy to continue to use Pegasus.

Regards.

<P>Success!  I finally found a combination that worked.  Thought I'd pass this on in case others run into this MSN problem.  I rechecked name and password for spelling, the correct port addresses and settings that you mentioned, etc.  First, msn wants the whole correct email address, not just the prefix.  But the weird setting is to <U>check the "Disable certificate validation" box</U>...  for both the POP3 and SMTP security settings.  I wouldn't 'o thunk it!</P> <P>Now do you know where I can get a list of file names that Pegasus uses, so I can copy them onto a different computer with a newly installed Pegasus, so they have the same folders, addressbooks, and setups?</P> <P>In any case, thanks to all who contributed to unraveling my dilemma. I am happy to continue to use Pegasus.</P> <P> Regards.</P>

I have been using Pegasus Mail since 1998, both on work and home computers... representing a huge cache of email addresses and mail, and I am not interested in changing to another program with a different file format.  I have changed ISP's at least 3 times in th past and have never had reason to get help.  But due to an agreement with my DSL provider, I must change to a new ISP, Windows Live (aka Hotmail).  A Tech Svc call was of no help as we could not get either Pegasus or Outlook to link up.  After trial and error, I was able to get around Win Live's erroneous instructions got Outlook to download mail.

Not wanting to give up on my old faithful, however, this evening, I finally stopped getting error messages, it showed Pegasus logging on, but no download of messages I know are there (website).  The POP3 requires a port address of 995, must have SSL set up, and the SMTP port set to 25 and SSL.  Checking the 'Via direct SSLconnect', however does not work, evoking a Network Protocol Error screen.  If I set them to 'Via STLS Command', Pegasusshows the 'connecting to pop3.live.com' script at the bottom, but no mail.  I wish I could figure out what is going on. ...and don't EVEN think about talking to MSN!!Windows Live help tells you exactly what to do to connect via Outlook (of course), but you must set the SMTP to 'auto'.  Their SSL setting does not work.

The POP3 is pop3.live.com and the SMTP is smtp.live.com.

I apologize for all this blather, but I wanted to give you enough info about all of this.  If anyone has some things for me to try, I would really appreciate it.  I just want a mail program, not the whole blinking post office!!

Thanx,

Tom Kessler

<P>I have been using Pegasus Mail since 1998, both on work and home computers... representing a huge cache of email addresses and mail, and I am not interested in changing to another program with a different file format.  I have changed ISP's at least 3 times in th past and have never had reason to get help.  But due to an agreement with my DSL provider, I must change to a new ISP, Windows Live (aka Hotmail).  A Tech Svc call was of no help as we could not get either Pegasus or Outlook to link up.  After trial and error, I was able to get around Win Live's erroneous instructions got Outlook to download mail.</P> <P> Not wanting to give up on my old faithful, however, this evening, I finally stopped getting error messages, it showed Pegasus logging on, but no download of messages I know are there (website).  The POP3 requires a port address of 995, must have SSL set up, and the SMTP port set to 25 and SSL.  Checking the 'Via direct SSLconnect', however does not work, evoking a Network Protocol Error screen.  If I set them to 'Via STLS Command', Pegasusshows the 'connecting to pop3.live.com' script at the bottom, but no mail.  I wish I could figure out what is going on. ...and don't EVEN think about talking to MSN!!Windows Live help tells you exactly what to do to connect via Outlook (of course), but you must set the SMTP to 'auto'.  Their SSL setting does not work.</P> <P>The POP3 is pop3.live.com and the SMTP is smtp.live.com.</P> <P>I apologize for all this blather, but I wanted to give you enough info about all of this.  If anyone has some things for me to try, I would really appreciate it.  I just want a mail program, not the whole blinking post office!!</P> <P>Thanx, </P> <P>Tom Kessler</P>

I can connect to the SMTP Server via Telnet without problems, it requieres the STARTTLS command. Try if you can send mails.

For Pop3 I have a few questions:

- Do you provide your full username (user@hotmail.com) as login ?

- Have you mail in other folders than your Inbox (AFAIK Hotmail only gets mail in your inbox)

- Have you any kind of firewalls on your system, that are blocking Pegasus POP3S access ?

<P>I can connect to the SMTP Server via Telnet without problems, it requieres the STARTTLS command. Try if you can send mails.</P><P>For Pop3 I have a few questions:</P><P> - Do you provide your full username (user@hotmail.com) as login ?</P><P> - Have you mail in other folders than your Inbox (AFAIK Hotmail only gets mail in your inbox)</P><P> - Have you any kind of firewalls on your system, that are blocking Pegasus POP3S access ?</P><P> </P>

I did as you suggested... checked the username... it was ok.  No mail in other folders.  Both POP3 and SMTP are set for STARTTLS.

I turned off the firewall, and tried to send an email to my workplace.  Same thing... got an SMTP Network or Protocol error sending mail.  Error is 6: Socket timeout.

According to the Pegasus Help file on Security, it follows that if the port address is 995, then setting the radio button for SSL should work. 
And since the SMTP address is 25, STARTTLS should be selected.  This in fact follows with the settings used in Outlook... 995 - SSL, 25 - Auto.  I have tried every combination, but I guess I'm not going to make this work.

Thanks so much for your interest and help. 

Tom

<P>I did as you suggested... checked the username... it was ok.  No mail in other folders.  Both POP3 and SMTP are set for STARTTLS.</P> <P>I turned off the firewall, and tried to send an email to my workplace.  Same thing... got an SMTP Network or Protocol error sending mail.  Error is 6: Socket timeout.</P> <P>According to the Pegasus Help file on Security, it follows that if the port address is 995, then setting the radio button for SSL should work.  And since the SMTP address is 25, STARTTLS should be selected.  This in fact follows with the settings used in Outlook... 995 - SSL, 25 - Auto.  I have tried every combination, but I guess I'm not going to make this work.</P> <P> Thanks so much for your interest and help.  </P> <P> Tom</P>

When using port 995 the you should be using the "Direct SSL" orption.  When using port 25 you need to use "Via STARTTLS" and the ISP must not be using port 25 blocking.

FWIW, the timeout can be caused by either the firewall or ISP blocking port 25.

<p>When using port 995 the you should be using the "Direct SSL" orption.  When using port 25 you need to use "Via STARTTLS" and the ISP must not be using port 25 blocking.</p><p> </p><p>FWIW, the timeout can be caused by either the firewall or ISP blocking port 25.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft