Community Discussions and Support
Mercury: senders getting TLS Handshake Failed

The problem is less something specific to Mercury than a widespread problem in the way SSL is implemented generally. There are many different libraries and versions of libraries for doing SSL and not all of them interpret the specifications in the same way.

Now, with MercuryP, MercuryI, MercuryC and MercuryD, it's not too much of an issue, because they're only talking to a fairly limited range of implementations, so if there's a problem, it will become obvious at an early stage. Enabling SSL in MercuryS, though, exposes you to every implementation in Christendom, with all their vagaries and differences. For this reason, I generally do not recommend enabling SSL in the SMTP server - and will not be recommending it until the industry settles down considerably in this area.

Cheers!

-- David --

The problem is less something specific to Mercury than a widespread problem in the way SSL is implemented generally. There are many different libraries and versions of libraries for doing SSL and not all of them interpret the specifications in the same way. Now, with MercuryP, MercuryI, MercuryC and MercuryD, it's not too much of an issue, because they're only talking to a fairly limited range of implementations, so if there's a problem, it will become obvious at an early stage. Enabling SSL in MercuryS, though, exposes you to every implementation in Christendom, with all their vagaries and differences. For this reason, I generally do not recommend enabling SSL in the SMTP server - and will not be recommending it until the industry settles down considerably in this area. Cheers! -- David --

Hi, I've recently had a few people complaining to me that their mails are not getting through to me: They get a bounce with the error message "TLS Handshake Failed".

What does this mean please and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Andy.

Waterford, Ireland.

<p>Hi, I've recently had a few people complaining to me that their mails are not getting through to me: They get a bounce with the error message "TLS Handshake Failed".</p><p> </p><p>What does this mean please and how can I fix it?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p><p>Andy.</p><p>Waterford, Ireland.   </p>

If you have enabled SSL in the MercuryS SMTP server, I suggest you disable it for now. The quality of SSL implementations out there is so variable at the moment that I can't recommend it other than in specific cases.

Cheers!

-- David --

If you have enabled SSL in the MercuryS SMTP server, I suggest you disable it for now. The quality of SSL implementations out there is so variable at the moment that I can't recommend it other than in specific cases. Cheers! -- David --

OK thanks, will do!

Andy.

<p>OK thanks, will do!</p><p> </p><p>Andy.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="David Harris"]If you have enabled SSL in the MercuryS SMTP server, I suggest you disable it for now. The quality of SSL implementations out there is so variable at the moment that I can't recommend it other than in specific cases.[/quote]

David, I undestand english quite well, but not this answer. Disable for now, - means works in next version of Mercury?

The whats new secion ( http://community.pmail.com/pmail/MercuryReleaseNotes.aspx ) only talks about D & C and reads:
"SSL support in MercuryD and MercuryC  The MercuryD POP3 client and MercuryC relaying SMTP client both now support SSL connections."

<P>[quote user="David Harris"]If you have enabled SSL in the MercuryS SMTP server, I suggest you disable it for now. The quality of SSL implementations out there is so variable at the moment that I can't recommend it other than in specific cases.[/quote]</P> <P>David, I undestand english quite well, but not this answer. Disable for now, - means works in next version of Mercury? </P> <P>The whats new secion ( <A href="http://community.pmail.com/pmail/MercuryReleaseNotes.aspx" mce_href="http://community.pmail.com/pmail/MercuryReleaseNotes.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/pmail/MercuryReleaseNotes.aspx</A> ) only talks about D & C and reads: <FONT color=#0000ff>"<EM>SSL support in MercuryD and MercuryC</EM></FONT><EM>  The MercuryD POP3 client and MercuryC relaying SMTP client both now support SSL connections.</EM>"</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft