Community Discussions and Support
Frequent pauses/hangs on Vista

I have been using Pegasus 4.41 with VISTA, and I'm now using the 4.51 Beta version. When retrieving mail with attachment Pegasus (either version) stops and gives me the same error message as described by Cliff Powell. It also mentions the 'kernel32.dll' as the error module name. When re-starting Pegasus the pre-view mode is off. But as soon as I switch it on Pegasus again stops.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

P.S. I have now discovered it is not the attachments. It's only those mails marked as "contains alternative versions of a message"  (since I use the German version it actually says "enthält alternative Versionen einer Nachricht")

<P>I have been using Pegasus 4.41 with VISTA, and I'm now using the 4.51 Beta version. When retrieving mail with attachment Pegasus (either version) stops and gives me the same error message as described by Cliff Powell. It also mentions the 'kernel32.dll' as the error module name. When re-starting Pegasus the pre-view mode is off. But as soon as I switch it on Pegasus again stops.</P> <P>Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?</P> <P> P.S. I have now discovered it is <STRONG>not</STRONG> the attachments. It's only those mails marked as "contains alternative versions of a message"  (since I use the German version it actually says "enthält alternative Versionen einer Nachricht") </P>

I'm running 4.31 on Vista SP1.  Since switching to Vista (not by choice, I might add), I notice a frequent problem in Pmail.  When I try to display a message, the program pauses for a long time -- maybe 20-30 seconds, maybe a minute or more.  Sometimes it appears to completely hang, though maybe I just haven't waited long enough (5-10 minutes!?).  I have to kill the program and restart it, and generally the message will display fine the next time.  In other words it's not dependent on the content of the message itself, but seems to be an inconsistent behavior of the program.

Any suggestions?

Gary

<p>I'm running 4.31 on Vista SP1.  Since switching to Vista (not by choice, I might add), I notice a frequent problem in Pmail.  When I try to display a message, the program pauses for a long time -- maybe 20-30 seconds, maybe a minute or more.  Sometimes it appears to completely hang, though maybe I just haven't waited long enough (5-10 minutes!?).  I have to kill the program and restart it, and generally the message will display fine the next time.  In other words it's not dependent on the content of the message itself, but seems to be an inconsistent behavior of the program.</p><p>Any suggestions?</p><p>Gary </p>

I do not use Vista so take this for what it's worth.  It might be Vista is having problems talking to the printer and the printer driver is trying to talk to the printer when asked how to display the font. Try changing the Windows default printer to one set to print to a file instead of a printer and see what happens.

<p>I do not use Vista so take this for what it's worth.  It might be Vista is having problems talking to the printer and the printer driver is trying to talk to the printer when asked how to display the font. Try changing the Windows default printer to one set to print to a file instead of a printer and see what happens. </p><p> </p>

I am using version 4.41 and Vista Ultimate 32 bit.  Pegasus will be stopped on occasion both reading new mail or old mail in a folder.  I sent a message on the UseNet as follows.  I tried the suggested fix but it still does it.  I must restart Pegasus and it will then work until next time.  Not enough of this to get real serious yet but MS is not finding or notifying me of any solution. I did NOT try the Bear program and I see that 4.51 Beta is out now.  Maybe I will try it but not for awhile.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:41:07 -0700, Cliff Powell <cliffp@cox.net> wrote:

> Using Pegasus 4.41 and Vista Ultimate 32bit. Frequently
> while opening messages Vista will error message that it
> has stopped working and is looking for a solution.  As
> so often the case Vista never finds anything or calls
> back.  Restarting Pegasus will work but wonder is anyone
> else experiencing this and if so is there a work around.

It's probably connected to processing formatted (HTML) messages, you will
have to wait for the upcoming version 4.5 for a possible solution - unless
you want to give BearHtml 4.6.3 (beta version!) a chance:

<http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/Bear463.zip>

Be advised that for image downloads to work properly you will have to set
Tools | Options | Advanced settings => "Load ... WSOCK32.DLL" to "Always"
which will also change Pegasus Mail's dial-up handling ...

&lt;p&gt;I am using version 4.41 and Vista Ultimate 32 bit.&amp;nbsp; Pegasus will be stopped on occasion both reading new mail or old mail in a folder.&amp;nbsp; I sent a message on the UseNet as follows.&amp;nbsp; I tried the suggested fix but it still does it.&amp;nbsp; I must restart Pegasus and it will then work until next time.&amp;nbsp; Not enough of this to get real serious yet but MS is not finding or notifying me of any solution. I did NOT try the Bear program and I see that 4.51 Beta is out now.&amp;nbsp; Maybe I will try it but not for awhile. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:41:07 -0700, Cliff Powell &amp;lt;cliffp@cox.net&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Using Pegasus 4.41 and Vista Ultimate 32bit. Frequently &amp;gt; while opening messages Vista will error message that it &amp;gt; has stopped working and is looking for a solution.&amp;nbsp; As &amp;gt; so often the case Vista never finds anything or calls &amp;gt; back.&amp;nbsp; Restarting Pegasus will work but wonder is anyone &amp;gt; else experiencing this and if so is there a work around. It&#039;s probably connected to processing formatted (HTML) messages, you will have to wait for the upcoming version 4.5 for a possible solution - unless you want to give BearHtml 4.6.3 (beta version!) a chance: &amp;lt;http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/Bear463.zip&amp;gt; Be advised that for image downloads to work properly you will have to set Tools | Options | Advanced settings =&amp;gt; &quot;Load ... WSOCK32.DLL&quot; to &quot;Always&quot; which will also change Pegasus Mail&#039;s dial-up handling ... &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft