Community Discussions and Support
Incoming message in Korean - Pegasus only

It absolutely does. Thanks for your extensive explanation David!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ron

&lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT size=3&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot;&gt;It absolutely does. Thanks for your extensive explanation David!&lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=EN-GB style=&quot;mso-ansi-language: EN-GB&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT size=3&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot;&gt;Ron&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

Hi,

I received an e-mail from Korea. Pegasus displays the body text in (I presume) Korean (at least, since I installed files for east Asian language support within Windows).

When I open the e-mail via the Merc/32 Imap server using Squirrelmail or Outlook, the body text is plain English. When I open the e-mail via Imap using Pegasus, text is back in Korean.

So probably a display setting in Pegasus, but I haven't got a clue which one. I've played with Mime character set settings, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ron 

&lt;DIV class=ForumPostAttachment&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV class=ForumPostThreadStatus&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;TABLE class=&quot;&quot; style=&quot;TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed&quot; height=&quot;100%&quot; cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=&quot;100%&quot; border=0&gt; &lt;TBODY&gt; &lt;TR&gt; &lt;TD class=&quot;&quot;&gt; &lt;DIV class=ForumPostBodyArea&gt; &lt;DIV class=ForumPostContentText id=ctl00_ctl01_bcr_ctl00___PostRepeater_ctl01_PostViewWrapper&gt; &lt;P&gt;Hi,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I received an e-mail from Korea. Pegasus displays the body text in (I presume) Korean (at least, since I installed files for east Asian language support&amp;nbsp;within Windows).&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;When I open the e-mail via the Merc/32 Imap server&amp;nbsp;using Squirrelmail or Outlook, the body text is plain English. When I open the e-mail via Imap&amp;nbsp;using Pegasus, text is back in Korean.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;So probably a display setting&amp;nbsp;in Pegasus, but I haven&#039;t got a clue which one. I&#039;ve played with Mime character set settings, but no luck.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Any ideas?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Ron&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;&lt;/TBODY&gt;&lt;/TABLE&gt;

Try clicking the View button, which will switch you to Plain text viewing rather than Fancy.

HTH

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Try clicking the View button, which will switch you to Plain text viewing rather than Fancy. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;HTH&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi Martin,

Opening the message and pressing the View button doesn't change anything. I guess pressing the View button will give me the same result as de-selecting the 'Where a choice of formats exists, display the fancy version'  under the message reader settings?  The view button for an individual message and the setting system-wide?

Anyhow,  none of these options changes the Korean to plain English.... 

Time for a Korean language course.. [|-)]

&lt;P&gt;Hi Martin,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Opening the message and pressing the View button doesn&#039;t change anything. I guess pressing the View button will give me the same result as de-selecting the &#039;Where a choice of formats exists, display the fancy version&#039;&amp;nbsp; under the message reader settings?&amp;nbsp; The view button for an individual message and the setting system-wide?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Anyhow,&amp;nbsp; none of these options changes the Korean to plain English....&amp;nbsp; &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Time for a Korean language course.. [|-)]&lt;/P&gt;

[:O]  I am just wondering how other email systems could find a text version and display it, and apparently Pegasus Mail was unable to find this alternative version.  Could you forward me a copy of one of these messages please?

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;[:O]&amp;nbsp; I am just wondering how other email systems could find a text version and display it, and apparently Pegasus Mail was unable to find this alternative version.&amp;nbsp; Could you forward me a copy of one of these messages please?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi Martin,

I just forwarded (bounced) two of the mail messages that showed up in Korean fonts

.Thanks for your time!

Ron

&lt;FONT face=Arial size=2&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Hi Martin,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;I just forwarded (bounced) two of the mail messages that showed up in Korean fonts &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;.Thanks for your time! &lt;P align=left&gt;Ron&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;

[:(]  I think our Spam appliance has probably eaten these.  Could you please repeat but use my home email address  Irelam@telus.net

Thanks

Martin

&lt;p&gt;[:(]&amp;nbsp; I think our Spam appliance has probably eaten these.&amp;nbsp; Could you please repeat but use my home email address&amp;nbsp; Irelam@telus.net&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Martin &amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

I received both messages thank you.   I can see the problem. The  character set Mime header information is  wrong:

Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="ks_c_5601-1987"

Basically the Korean charset is not type text/plain.  Pegasus Mail is correctly rendering the Korean characters. I have attached the corrected message to a message I sent to you directly.  The sender needs to update their email client

Martin

&lt;p&gt;I received both messages thank you.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I can see the problem. The&amp;nbsp; character set Mime header information is&amp;nbsp; wrong:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Content-Type: text/plain;&amp;nbsp; charset=&quot;ks_c_5601-1987&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Basically the Korean charset is not type text/plain.&amp;nbsp; Pegasus Mail is correctly rendering the Korean characters. I have attached the corrected message to a message I sent to you directly.&amp;nbsp; The sender needs to update their email client &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks very much Martin!   Does this mean other e-mail clients (I've tried Outlook and Squirrelmail) actually should have rendered the Korean characters based on the mime header info?

Ron

&lt;P&gt;Thanks very much Martin!&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Does this mean other e-mail clients (I&#039;ve tried Outlook and Squirrelmail) actually &lt;EM&gt;should&lt;/EM&gt; have rendered the Korean characters based on the mime header info?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Ron&lt;/P&gt;

IMHO the type of text/plain should cause charset info etc to be ignored, which is what I think Outlook is doing. But as the From, To and Subject all have Korean characters and have encoding turned on, it seems the sender is confused as to what language to send in.  Pegasus Mail is rendering the body in Korean as the charset has been coded.

I suspect the sender forgot that their default charset was set to Korean, and they wanted to send a simple Ascii message.

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;IMHO the type of text/plain should cause charset info etc to be ignored, which is what I think Outlook is doing. But as the From, To and Subject all have Korean characters and have encoding turned on, it seems the sender is confused as to what language to send in.&amp;nbsp; Pegasus Mail is rendering the body in Korean as the charset has been coded.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I suspect the sender forgot that their default charset was set to Korean, and they wanted to send a simple Ascii message.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="irelam"]

IMHO the type of text/plain should cause charset info etc to be ignored, which is what I think Outlook is doing.

[/quote]

There are two factors in play here: the first is the MIME content-type, "text/plain". This is a formal indicator that says the content is unadorned text organized on a line by line basis: it does not say anything about the nature of the text itself, although in the absence of any qualifier, it defaults to characters complying with the US-ASCII character mapping. The "text/plain" declaration on its own, though, merely indicates that the content is readable, unadorned text organized as terminated lines.

The second factor is the explict charset declaration, which indicates the character mapping of the content. It is important to understand that a charset declaration may inherently imply a particular bit

layout of the content - it might be 7-bit, 8-bit or even 16-bit

characters, depending on the character set specified (RFC2046 is quite

explicit about this). If the content contains data other than pure

ASCII, however, then it must usually be encoded using a transition

armouring, such as BASE64. The presence of such armouring is specified

by a separate header, Content-transfer-encoding. It is also very important in understanding what's happening here to realize that RFC2045/2046 specifically states that if the charset parameter is not recognized, then a compliant mailer should assume US-ASCII and render accordingly.

Now, what the headers from this message are saying is that the content of the body is plain text, using a specific Korean character layout. As it happens, Pegasus Mail uses an extremely poweful character conversion library called iconv which can handle a huge range of character mappings, and the particular Korean variant specified in the headers is one it knows. As a result, Pegasus Mail quite correctly assumes that the content is Korean and tries to present it accordingly. Outlook and the other mail programs, by contrast, quite possibly do NOT recognize this particular character set and, in compliance with the MIME specification, fall back to rendering in US-ASCII. Now, because the header is actually wrong (it doesn't match the actual content), this results in the default behaviour rendering the data correctly, while Pegasus Mail's more correct handling yields rubbish.

This is a long explanation, but the solution is simple - get the sender to fix his headers. I hope the detail serves to explain why you're seeing what you are, though.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;irelam&quot;]&lt;p&gt;IMHO the type of text/plain should cause charset info etc to be ignored, which is what I think Outlook is doing.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote] There are two factors in play here: the first is the MIME content-type, &quot;text/plain&quot;. This is a formal indicator that says the content is unadorned text organized on a line by line basis: it does not say anything about the nature of the text itself, although in the absence of any qualifier, it defaults to characters complying with the US-ASCII character mapping. The &quot;text/plain&quot; declaration on its own, though, merely indicates that the content is readable, unadorned text organized as terminated lines. The second factor is the explict charset declaration, which indicates the character mapping of the content. It is important to understand that a charset declaration may inherently imply a particular bit layout of the content - it might be 7-bit, 8-bit or even 16-bit characters, depending on the character set specified (RFC2046 is quite explicit about this). If the content contains data other than pure ASCII, however, then it must usually be encoded using a transition armouring, such as BASE64. The presence of such armouring is specified by a separate header, Content-transfer-encoding. It is also very important in understanding what&#039;s happening here to realize that RFC2045/2046 specifically states that if the charset parameter is not recognized, then a compliant mailer should assume US-ASCII and render accordingly. Now, what the headers from this message are saying is that the content of the body is plain text, using a specific Korean character layout. As it happens, Pegasus Mail uses an extremely poweful character conversion library called iconv which can handle a huge range of character mappings, and the particular Korean variant specified in the headers is one it knows. As a result, Pegasus Mail quite correctly assumes that the content is Korean and tries to present it accordingly. Outlook and the other mail programs, by contrast, quite possibly do NOT recognize this particular character set and, in compliance with the MIME specification, fall back to rendering in US-ASCII. Now, because the header is actually wrong (it doesn&#039;t match the actual content), this results in the default behaviour rendering the data correctly, while Pegasus Mail&#039;s more correct handling yields rubbish. This is a long explanation, but the solution is simple - get the sender to fix his headers. I hope the detail serves to explain why you&#039;re seeing what you are, though. Cheers! -- David -- &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft