Community Discussions and Support
Spam bounce messages (was Sendmail, MercuryMail and a plea for a beginners guide!)

If you track a bounce and figure out who it was originally to, then do a search on that address via google or similar, and you'llmost likely find the info sitting in some web-page (mis-spelled, archived or active) - then you know for sure it wasn't a lapse of open relay.

If you track a bounce and figure out who it was originally to, then do a search on that address via google or similar, and you'llmost likely find the info sitting in some web-page (mis-spelled, archived or active) - then you know for sure it wasn't a lapse of open relay.

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

Also, you say you don't worry too much about inbound, - you should! If your mailserver is reported as an open relay, you will be treated as a spammer. Now, since you most likely only will allow SMTP connections from the very same machine, insert Allow 127.0.0.1 into connection control options of MercuryS module.

[/quote]

Sorry to but in but would that be as well as my IP address or instead of?
Thanks
Lynn

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"] <p>Also, you say you don't worry too much about inbound, - you should! If your mailserver is reported as an open relay, you will be treated as a spammer. Now, since you most likely only will allow SMTP connections from the very same machine, insert <b>Allow 127.0.0.1</b> into connection control options of MercuryS module. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Sorry to but in but would that be as well as my IP address or instead of? Thanks Lynn </p>

What are you trying to configure Lynn?  Ben's situation was a bit unusual.

What are you trying to configure Lynn?  Ben's situation was a bit unusual.

Hi PaulW

I continually get bounce messages as though I have sent out large maildrops but when I look at the email addresses these are not anyone we have sent mail to so just trying to make sure that I have open relay locked up tight (have the not allow relay boxes all checked).
Maybe this should be moved to a different thread so as not to interfere with this thread?
Lynn

<p>Hi PaulW</p><p>I continually get bounce messages as though I have sent out large maildrops but when I look at the email addresses these are not anyone we have sent mail to so just trying to make sure that I have open relay locked up tight (have the not allow relay boxes all checked). Maybe this should be moved to a different thread so as not to interfere with this thread? Lynn </p>

Using an innocent party's address is a common form of spamming and happens to most of us :(

You may be able to suppress some of it by using SPF or similar, but that should go into a different thread.

<p>Using an innocent party's address is a common form of spamming and happens to most of us :(</p><p>You may be able to suppress some of it by using SPF or similar, but that should go into a different thread. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft