Extension development
Notification of mail arrived remotely

This might be slightly off topic but, after hankering for a similar extension, I came across the following on Torry's.

http://www.torry.net/apps/internet/email/ntfymail.zip

From what I can gather that programme is certainly described as freeware, through some googling was that the app subsequently part of Novell netware .

My purpose is to monitor several email boxes on the one server and it works admirably.

Thought you would like to know.

<P> This might be slightly off topic but, after hankering for a similar extension, I came across the following on Torry's.</P><P>http://www.torry.net/apps/internet/email/ntfymail.zip</P><P>From what I can gather that programme is certainly described as freeware, through some googling was that the app subsequently part of Novell netware .</P><P>My purpose is to monitor several email boxes on the one server and it works admirably.</P><P>Thought you would like to know.</P><P> </P><P> </P>

I'd like notification locally (home) when new mail arrives at my work computer (connected to home by VPN).  So I'm going to write an extension for the home Pmail which will open a "mailslot" and periodically read messages from it.  The messages can be generated by the remote Pmail with an external EXE ("Run a program" filter) but maybe I'll write an extension for writing to the mailslot.  So I have two questions.

(1)  Can my extension tell its host Pmail to play the default new mail sound?

(2)  When Pmail is about to close, does it send a message to that effect to the extension's callback function (so I can do some cleanup and gracefully end a thread)?

Thanks!

- Vince

<p>I'd like notification locally (home) when new mail arrives at my work computer (connected to home by VPN).  So I'm going to write an extension for the home Pmail which will open a "mailslot" and periodically read messages from it.  The messages can be generated by the remote Pmail with an external EXE ("Run a program" filter) but maybe I'll write an extension for writing to the mailslot.  So I have two questions.</p><p>(1)  Can my extension tell its host Pmail to play the default new mail sound?</p><p>(2)  When Pmail is about to close, does it send a message to that effect to the extension's callback function (so I can do some cleanup and gracefully end a thread)?</p><p>Thanks!</p><p> - Vince </p>

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

I'd like notification locally (home) when new mail arrives at my work computer (connected to home by VPN).  So I'm going to write an extension for the home Pmail which will open a "mailslot" and periodically read messages from it.  The messages can be generated by the remote Pmail with an external EXE ("Run a program" filter) but maybe I'll write an extension for writing to the mailslot.  So I have two questions.

(1)  Can my extension tell its host Pmail to play the default new mail sound?

(2)  When Pmail is about to close, does it send a message to that effect to the extension's callback function (so I can do some cleanup and gracefully end a thread)?

[/quote]

I have a working model, an extension that reads from a mailslot and an EXE that writes to the mailslot.  I'm still wondering about the two questions above.

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>I'd like notification locally (home) when new mail arrives at my work computer (connected to home by VPN).  So I'm going to write an extension for the home Pmail which will open a "mailslot" and periodically read messages from it.  The messages can be generated by the remote Pmail with an external EXE ("Run a program" filter) but maybe I'll write an extension for writing to the mailslot.  So I have two questions.</p><p>(1)  Can my extension tell its host Pmail to play the default new mail sound?</p><p>(2)  When Pmail is about to close, does it send a message to that effect to the extension's callback function (so I can do some cleanup and gracefully end a thread)? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I have a working model, an extension that reads from a mailslot and an EXE that writes to the mailslot.  I'm still wondering about the two questions above. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft