Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Barred from Sending Messages

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll tackle this project as soon as I find a moment and report progress.

<p>Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll tackle this project as soon as I find a moment and report progress.</p>

I have a gmail account - in the last couple of days I have been unable to send messages - the receive function works OK.

A copy of the technical message is below -

Can anyone offer advice or a solution?

The antivirus programme I use is AVG 

Regards,

John Meehan 

<johndmeehan>[*] Connection established to 66.249.91.109<br>&gt;&gt; 0041 220 mx.google.com ESMTP z37sm6506098ikz<br>&lt;&lt; 0024 EHLO [159.134.113.131]<br>&gt;&gt; 0054 250-mx.google.com at your service, [159.134.113.131]<br>&gt;&gt; 0019 250-SIZE 28311552<br>&gt;&gt; 0014 250-8BITMIME<br>&gt;&gt; 0022 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN<br>&gt;&gt; 0025 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES<br>&lt;&lt; 0045 MAIL FROM:<u><i><b><a href="mailto:%20&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/u&gt;%20SIZE=1306&lt;br&gt;&gt;&gt;%200051%20530%205.5.1%20Authentication%20Required%20z37sm6506098ikz&lt;br&gt;&lt;/JohnDMeehan@gmail.com&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;"></a></b></i></u> SIZE=1306<br>&gt;&gt; 0051 530 5.5.1 Authentication Required z37sm6506098ikz<br></johndmeehan>@gmail.com>

&lt;p&gt;I have a gmail account - in the last couple of days I have been unable to send messages - the receive function works OK.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A copy of the technical message is below -&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Can anyone offer advice or a solution? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The antivirus programme I use is AVG&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;John Meehan&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;JohnDMeehan@gmail.com&gt;[*] Connection established to 66.249.91.109 &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0041 220 mx.google.com ESMTP z37sm6506098ikz &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0024 EHLO [159.134.113.131] &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0054 250-mx.google.com at your service, [159.134.113.131] &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0019 250-SIZE 28311552 &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0014 250-8BITMIME &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0022 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0025 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0045 MAIL FROM:&lt;u&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;[Email Address]&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/u&gt; SIZE=1306 &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0051 530 5.5.1 Authentication Required z37sm6506098ikz &lt;/JohnDMeehan@gmail.com&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

Looks like you have not turned on the authorization in GMail.

(a) -POP3-

Server host name: pop.gmail.com
  User name: <your_user_name>@gmail.com
  Password: <your_password>
  Server TCP/IP port: 995
  SSL/TLS: via direct SSL connect
  Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: checked

(b) -SMTP STARTTLS -

Server host name: smtp.gmail.com
  Server TCP/IP port: 587
  SSL/TLS: via STARTTLS
  Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: checked
  SMTP Authentication: Login to the SMTP server using POP3
  username/password (the GMAIL-POP3-definition has been chosen)

(c) - SMTP via SSL -

Server host name: smtp.gmail.com
  Server TCP/IP port: 465
  SSL/TLS: via direct ssl connection
  Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: unchecked
  SMTP Authentication: Login to the SMTP server using POP3
  username/password (the GMAIL-POP3-definition has been chosen)

&lt;p&gt;Looks like you have not turned on the authorization in GMail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;(a) -POP3- &amp;nbsp; Server host name: pop.gmail.com &amp;nbsp; User name: &amp;lt;your_user_name&amp;gt;@gmail.com &amp;nbsp; Password: &amp;lt;your_password&amp;gt; &amp;nbsp; Server TCP/IP port: 995 &amp;nbsp; SSL/TLS: via direct SSL connect &amp;nbsp; Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: checked (b) -SMTP STARTTLS - &amp;nbsp; Server host name: smtp.gmail.com &amp;nbsp; Server TCP/IP port: 587 &amp;nbsp; SSL/TLS: via STARTTLS &amp;nbsp; Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: checked &amp;nbsp; SMTP Authentication: Login to the SMTP server using POP3 &amp;nbsp; username/password (the GMAIL-POP3-definition has been chosen) (c) - SMTP via SSL - &amp;nbsp; Server host name: smtp.gmail.com &amp;nbsp; Server TCP/IP port: 465 &amp;nbsp; SSL/TLS: via direct ssl connection &amp;nbsp; Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking: unchecked &amp;nbsp; SMTP Authentication: Login to the SMTP server using POP3 &amp;nbsp; username/password (the GMAIL-POP3-definition has been chosen) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

The advice worked.

However I'm curious - I've used the system for months without any hassle, and am sure that's how I set itup originally -

But, sure enough, the smtp authentication had to be checked to login using the POP3 username password - beats me how it could have got unchecked,

Regards,

A happy John Meehan 

&lt;p&gt;The advice worked.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;However I&#039;m curious - I&#039;ve used the system for months without any hassle, and am sure that&#039;s how I set itup originally -&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But, sure enough, the smtp authentication had to be checked to login using the POP3 username password - beats me how it could have got unchecked,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A happy John Meehan&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="John Meehan"]

However I'm curious - I've used the system for months without any hassle, and am sure that's how I set itup originally -

[/quote]

GMail quite recently changed to requiring authentication for POP/SMTP (in the last few weeks, as I recall). I'm quite surprised they didn't tell you this somehow, either by a mail message or a letter - it's quite a big change, after all.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;John Meehan&quot;]&lt;p&gt;However I&#039;m curious - I&#039;ve used the system for months without any hassle, and am sure that&#039;s how I set itup originally -&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote] GMail quite recently changed to requiring authentication for POP/SMTP (in the last few weeks, as I recall). I&#039;m quite surprised they didn&#039;t tell you this somehow, either by a mail message or a letter - it&#039;s quite a big change, after all. Cheers! -- David -- &lt;/p&gt;

I've been using pop.gmail.com with no problem for months on Pegasus 4.4.1. I've tried to set up smtp.gmail.com following the above instructions. Outgoing messages look as if they're being sent, but they never arrive! What am I doing wrong?

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve been using pop.gmail.com with no problem for months on Pegasus 4.4.1. I&#039;ve tried to set up smtp.gmail.com following the above instructions. Outgoing messages look as if they&#039;re being sent, but they never arrive! What am I doing wrong?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Probably nothing, however go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"  

Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any user name and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ]

You can now try again to send the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.  If the mail is getting to the GMail SMTP host without error then the problem is with the GMail SMTP host.

Probably nothing, however go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on &quot;Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)&quot; &amp;nbsp; Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the &quot;xxxx&quot; is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any user name and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a &quot;-Z 32&quot; commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ] You can now try again to send the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.&amp;nbsp; Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.&amp;nbsp; If the mail is getting to the GMail SMTP host without error then the problem is with the GMail SMTP host.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft