Community Discussions and Support
Newbie problem - user not known

> I am a total newbie to mercury mail. I installed it on a server using
> Scenario 1: Permanent internet connection. I did not create any
> mailboxes - all emails sent to this server are to be forwarded.

You must create at least one mailbox, the local user that handles the postmaster cannot be forwarded for obvious reasons.

>
> Using the alias configuration, I set up an email forwarder which
> redirects email sent to me@mydomain.com to
> myrealemail@myrealdomain.com. Using the Send mail message capability
> from within the Mercury console, I sent an email to me and it wound up
> in my inbox.

Much better is to use one of the tools to do this via forwarding

These are NOT a true MX host function since it does not queue and wait for the receiving system to be online to send the mail.  That said, WSMTPEx will keep retrying if the connection to the server and port cannot be made.  I have not tested how long it will continue retrying.   

1.  First of all is the simplest, you simply re-write the domain in the mercury.ini [Rewrite] section.

[Rewrite]
none-tstephenson.com: [192.168.1.3]

I really was surprised when this one worked since it truly simple and has been there
all along.  You learn something new every day.  The brackets are required when using
an IP address.  This forwards all mail for anyuser@none-stephenson.com to
anyuser@[192.168.1.3] using the normal Mercury/32 send process via port 25. 
Works quite well when using MercuryE, cannot work when using MercuryC unless the
IP address is a routable IP address.  You must re-boot Mercury/32 for each change
since this is only read at startup.  

2.  The second one is the daemon MercFwd and it essentially does the same thing as
the rewrite but this can be done dynamically by changing the domains section.  The
[Domains] entry of  

daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.3]: none-tstephenson.com

does essentially the same thing as the rewrite above.  Again it uses Mercury to deliver
the mail via port 25 and so you cannot use this with MercuryC when using non-
routable IP addresses.  

3.  The third one is the program WSMTPEx.exe (SMTPEX.NLM for Netware)  and this a a
separate program that takes mail for a email account and forwards it to any port and
any hostname/IP address.  I use this with my domains to forward the mail to a Linux
system (must use high ports as non-root) and to a second instance of Mercury/32
running on my system (can't share port 25)  Here's a sample of the ini file I use for
forwarding all mail to Mercury/32 running on Ubuntu v8.10 and Wine.  

#  You can rename this tool, but name of following section must remain [WSMTPEx]
[WSMTPEx]
Version=0.10
#  TCP port, on which SMTP server listens
Port=8025
#  Number of seconds to delay between searches for emails
LoopDelay=30
#  Folder, under which is most of user's mailboxes
UserFolder=
Domains=1
# Users mail address domain part
Domain1=linux-tstephenson.com
LogName=c:\Mercury\WSMTPEx.log
SMTPServer=192.168.1.4
MailBoxes=1
Badmails=c:\pmail\mail\BadMail

[linux-tstephenson.com]
# When user name start with "DM:", WSMTPEx will try to find SMTP envelope address in mail file
Mb1addr=dm:ubunto
Mb1dir=c:\pmail\mail\ubunto

This takes all the mail in the domain account "UBUNTO"  and sends it to port 8025 on
192.168.1.4 to be received by MercuryS.  The directory BADMAIL I have specified
must exist.  You can run multiple instances of this tool and and it can be run as a
service.  If run as a service and running multiple instances the name of the program
should be changed.  I use WSE-UBUNTO to rename the program and ini file for this
one.  

Many thanks to Petr Jaklin for the development of these tools.  You can get these
tools at the community download areas or directly from Petr Jaklin's site
http://www.3net.cz/software/softe.htm  

>
> Next, I sent a message from my computer to me@mydomain.com. Looking at
> the Mercury SMTP server console window, I see that the message did
> make it to the server. However, it reported 'user <me@mydomain.com>
> not known'. I also received a bounce email which stated:

Looks like the alias was wrong.  I do this all the time when receiving mail for non-local users.  Could you provide exactly what was entered as the alias?

&amp;gt; I am a total newbie to mercury mail. I installed it on a server using &amp;gt; Scenario 1: Permanent internet connection. I did not create any &amp;gt; mailboxes - all emails sent to this server are to be forwarded. You must create at least one mailbox, the local user that handles the postmaster cannot be forwarded for obvious reasons. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Using the alias configuration, I set up an email forwarder which &amp;gt; redirects email sent to me@mydomain.com to &amp;gt; myrealemail@myrealdomain.com. Using the Send mail message capability &amp;gt; from within the Mercury console, I sent an email to me and it wound up &amp;gt; in my inbox. Much better is to use one of the tools to do this via forwarding These are NOT a true MX host function since it does not queue and wait for the receiving system to be online to send the mail.&amp;nbsp; That said, WSMTPEx will keep retrying if the connection to the server and port cannot be made.&amp;nbsp; I have not tested how long it will continue retrying.&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; 1.&amp;nbsp; First of all is the simplest, you simply re-write the domain in the mercury.ini [Rewrite] section. [Rewrite] none-tstephenson.com: [192.168.1.3] I really was surprised when this one worked since it truly simple and has been there all along.&amp;nbsp; You learn something new every day.&amp;nbsp; The brackets are required when using an IP address.&amp;nbsp; This forwards all mail for anyuser@none-stephenson.com to anyuser@[192.168.1.3] using the normal Mercury/32 send process via port 25.&amp;nbsp; Works quite well when using MercuryE, cannot work when using MercuryC unless the IP address is a routable IP address.&amp;nbsp; You must re-boot Mercury/32 for each change since this is only read at startup. &amp;nbsp; 2.&amp;nbsp; The second one is the daemon MercFwd and it essentially does the same thing as the rewrite but this can be done dynamically by changing the domains section.&amp;nbsp; The [Domains] entry of &amp;nbsp; daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.3]: none-tstephenson.com does essentially the same thing as the rewrite above.&amp;nbsp; Again it uses Mercury to deliver the mail via port 25 and so you cannot use this with MercuryC when using non- routable IP addresses. &amp;nbsp; 3.&amp;nbsp; The third one is the program WSMTPEx.exe (SMTPEX.NLM for Netware)&amp;nbsp; and this a a separate program that takes mail for a email account and forwards it to any port and any hostname/IP address.&amp;nbsp; I use this with my domains to forward the mail to a Linux system (must use high ports as non-root) and to a second instance of Mercury/32 running on my system (can&#039;t share port 25)&amp;nbsp; Here&#039;s a sample of the ini file I use for forwarding all mail to Mercury/32 running on Ubuntu v8.10 and Wine. &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;#&amp;nbsp; You can rename this tool, but name of following section must remain [WSMTPEx] [WSMTPEx] Version=0.10 #&amp;nbsp; TCP port, on which SMTP server listens Port=8025 #&amp;nbsp; Number of seconds to delay between searches for emails LoopDelay=30 #&amp;nbsp; Folder, under which is most of user&#039;s mailboxes UserFolder= Domains=1 # Users mail address domain part Domain1=linux-tstephenson.com LogName=c:\Mercury\WSMTPEx.log SMTPServer=192.168.1.4 MailBoxes=1 Badmails=c:\pmail\mail\BadMail [linux-tstephenson.com] # When user name start with &quot;DM:&quot;, WSMTPEx will try to find SMTP envelope address in mail file Mb1addr=dm:ubunto Mb1dir=c:\pmail\mail\ubunto This takes all the mail in the domain account &quot;UBUNTO&quot;&amp;nbsp; and sends it to port 8025 on 192.168.1.4 to be received by MercuryS.&amp;nbsp; The directory BADMAIL I have specified must exist.&amp;nbsp; You can run multiple instances of this tool and and it can be run as a service.&amp;nbsp; If run as a service and running multiple instances the name of the program should be changed.&amp;nbsp; I use WSE-UBUNTO to rename the program and ini file for this one. &amp;nbsp; Many thanks to Petr Jaklin for the development of these tools.&amp;nbsp; You can get these tools at the community download areas or directly from Petr Jaklin&#039;s site http://www.3net.cz/software/softe.htm &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Next, I sent a message from my computer to me@mydomain.com. Looking at &amp;gt; the Mercury SMTP server console window, I see that the message did &amp;gt; make it to the server. However, it reported &#039;user &amp;lt;me@mydomain.com&amp;gt; &amp;gt; not known&#039;. I also received a bounce email which stated: Looks like the alias was wrong.&amp;nbsp; I do this all the time when receiving mail for non-local users.&amp;nbsp; Could you provide exactly what was entered as the alias?

All,

I am a total newbie to mercury mail. I installed it on a server using  Scenario 1: Permanent internet connection. I did not create any mailboxes - all emails sent to this server are to be forwarded.

Using the alias configuration, I set up an email forwarder which redirects email sent to me@mydomain.com to myrealemail@myrealdomain.com. Using the Send mail message capability from within the Mercury console, I sent an email to me and it wound up in my inbox.

Next, I sent a message from my computer to me@mydomain.com. Looking at the Mercury SMTP server console window, I see that the message did make it to the server. However, it reported 'user <me@mydomain.com> not known'. I also received a bounce email which stated:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 1 second(s):

* me@mydomain.com

I suspect that I am one short configuration setting away from having this work. Would you kindly help. Thank you!

&lt;p&gt;All,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am a total newbie to mercury mail. I installed it on a server using&amp;nbsp; Scenario 1: Permanent internet connection. I did not create any mailboxes - all emails sent to this server are to be forwarded. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Using the alias configuration, I set up an email forwarder which redirects email sent to me@mydomain.com to myrealemail@myrealdomain.com. Using the Send mail message capability from within the Mercury console, I sent an email to me and it wound up in my inbox. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Next, I sent a message from my computer to me@mydomain.com. Looking at the Mercury SMTP server console window, I see that the message did make it to the server. However, it reported &#039;user &amp;lt;me@mydomain.com&amp;gt; not known&#039;. I also received a bounce email which stated:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 1 second(s): &amp;nbsp; * me@mydomain.com&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I suspect that I am one short configuration setting away from having this work. Would you kindly help. Thank you! &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft