Community Discussions and Support
Linking a list to one address

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to create the .mlf files with a script, first I have to understand its content.

# Mercury List Membership File for list 'hidden@novelltstephenson.com'
# Mercury Mail Transport System, Copyright David Harris, 1993-2003
#
# This file contains mailing list subscriber records in tab-delimited
# format. Provided you are careful, you can edit it using a text editor
# but you must make sure that the editor actually inserts TAB characters
# when you press the TAB key.
#
# The fields within each subscriber record appear in this order:
#
#   Status      Single character in [A,N,D,V,X]
#   Address     RFC822-reduced e-mail address
#   Name        RFC822 Ctext/Qtext component for name
#   Flags       16 printable ASCII characters
#   Postings    Postings since inception (8-digit, 0-padded)
#   SubsDate    Subscription date, YYMMDDHHMMSS
#   SubmDate    Last submission date
#   VacDate     Vacation date
#   Password    Password for user
#   Comment
#
# The first line in the file must remain exactly as it appears above, but
# all the remaining comments in this block can be deleted if you wish.
# The record format is not tolerant of errors. Dates must be exactly
# 12 characters in length, using 0-padding as required. White space is
# significant and preserved in all cases. The last line of this file must
# always end with a CR/LF.
#
# We recommend that you use the Mercury user interface to maintain this
# file unless you are very sure of what you 're doing.

Again, James Haley's BuildMLF makes this a lot easier.

<blockquote> Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to create the .mlf files with a script, first I have to understand its content.</blockquote><p># Mercury List Membership File for list 'hidden@novelltstephenson.com' # Mercury Mail Transport System, Copyright David Harris, 1993-2003 # # This file contains mailing list subscriber records in tab-delimited # format. Provided you are careful, you can edit it using a text editor # but you must make sure that the editor actually inserts TAB characters # when you press the TAB key. # # The fields within each subscriber record appear in this order: # #   Status      Single character in [A,N,D,V,X] #   Address     RFC822-reduced e-mail address #   Name        RFC822 Ctext/Qtext component for name #   Flags       16 printable ASCII characters #   Postings    Postings since inception (8-digit, 0-padded) #   SubsDate    Subscription date, YYMMDDHHMMSS #   SubmDate    Last submission date #   VacDate     Vacation date #   Password    Password for user #   Comment # # The first line in the file must remain exactly as it appears above, but # all the remaining comments in this block can be deleted if you wish. # The record format is not tolerant of errors. Dates must be exactly # 12 characters in length, using 0-padding as required. White space is # significant and preserved in all cases. The last line of this file must # always end with a CR/LF. # # We recommend that you use the Mercury user interface to maintain this # file unless you are very sure of what you 're doing. Again, James Haley's BuildMLF makes this a lot easier.</p><p> </p>

Hi there

I use Mercury in a high school, it manages the pupils and the teachers mail addresses.

Actually I use dlists (builded via scripts) to have the feature of one mail to many recipients, the problem is that this feature does not work when a user uses our webmail.

What I'd like to do is something like that:

Via script I create a file including a bunch of email addresses (for example all the mathematics teachers), I create an alias between this list and one email address (ie mathematics@myhighschool.org) so that when a mail is sent to this address it is distributed to all the addresses of the list, I want also to prevent the users to add or remove addresses from the list (ntfs rights can do this).

Is it possible to do it and how?

TIA

<p>Hi there</p><p> </p><p>I use Mercury in a high school, it manages the pupils and the teachers mail addresses.</p><p>Actually I use dlists (builded via scripts) to have the feature of one mail to many recipients, the problem is that this feature does not work when a user uses our webmail.</p><p>What I'd like to do is something like that:</p><p>Via script I create a file including a bunch of email addresses (for example all the mathematics teachers), I create an alias between this list and one email address (ie mathematics@myhighschool.org) so that when a mail is sent to this address it is distributed to all the addresses of the list, I want also to prevent the users to add or remove addresses from the list (ntfs rights can do this).</p><p>Is it possible to do it and how?</p><p>TIA </p>

That sounds a lot like using a general rule set to copy or forward messages to multiple recipients, unless it for some reason needs to be a real distribution list.

/Rolf 

<p>That sounds a lot like using a general rule set to copy or forward messages to multiple recipients, unless it for some reason needs to be a real distribution list.</p><p>/Rolf </p>

I use Mercury in a high school, it manages the pupils and the teachers mail addresses.

Actually

I use dlists (builded via scripts) to have the feature of one mail to

many recipients, the problem is that this feature does not work when a

user uses our webmail.

Is there any reason you do not use Mercury mailing lists for this??

<blockquote><p>I use Mercury in a high school, it manages the pupils and the teachers mail addresses.</p><p>Actually I use dlists (builded via scripts) to have the feature of one mail to many recipients, the problem is that this feature does not work when a user uses our webmail.</p></blockquote><p>Is there any reason you do not use Mercury mailing lists for this??</p><p> </p><p> </p>

No particular reason.

I just want to prevent individual subscriptions/unsubscriptions and I want the list to be based on a text file so that I can create/modify them via  script. I want also that any user, even not a member of the list, to be able to send mails to the list.

Regards

<p>No particular reason.</p><p>I just want to prevent individual subscriptions/unsubscriptions and I want the list to be based on a text file so that I can create/modify them via  script. I want also that any user, even not a member of the list, to be able to send mails to the list. </p><p>Regards </p>

I just want to prevent individual subscriptions/unsubscriptions and I

want the list to be based on a text file so that I can create/modify

them via  script. I want also that any user, even not a member of the

list, to be able to send mails to the list.

That's easy enough to do with a mailing list.  You can limit the posting and subscribing to moderators only and you can use a script to modify the mailing list's member listing.  Personally though I use the BuildMLF utility developed by Jame Haley http://mysite.verizon.net/jameshaley/pmail/ to build the MLF file from a text file.
<blockquote>I just want to prevent individual subscriptions/unsubscriptions and I want the list to be based on a text file so that I can create/modify them via  script. I want also that any user, even not a member of the list, to be able to send mails to the list.</blockquote>That's easy enough to do with a mailing list.  You can limit the posting and subscribing to moderators only and you can use a script to modify the mailing list's member listing.  Personally though I use the BuildMLF utility developed by Jame Haley <a href="http://mysite.verizon.net/jameshaley/pmail/" title="http://mysite.verizon.net/jameshaley/pmail/" mce_href="http://mysite.verizon.net/jameshaley/pmail/">http://mysite.verizon.net/jameshaley/pmail/</a> to build the MLF file from a text file.

I use a general rule for this, as Rolf suggests. It's very simple:

I have an alias as follows:

committee@mydomain     FILTER:C:\MERCURY\committee.RUL

and committee.RUL is a text file containing:

Mercury Rule Set

Always Forward "user1@domain"
Always Forward "user2@domain"
Always Forward "user3@domain"
Always Forward "user4@domain"
Always Forward "user5@domain"

It works well, or used to. Unfortunately, a few users now use SPF, and it doesn't work between them.
The mail is forwarded with the original "From" address but from my server, so SPF flags a mismatch and the destination server rejects it. So I'm thinking of using a mailing list instead. If none of your users use SPF, the general rule is fine, and easy to set up.

Chris

<p>I use a general rule for this, as Rolf suggests. It's very simple: I have an alias as follows: committee@mydomain     FILTER:C:\MERCURY\committee.RUL and committee.RUL is a text file containing: Mercury Rule Set Always Forward "user1@domain" Always Forward "user2@domain" Always Forward "user3@domain" Always Forward "user4@domain" Always Forward "user5@domain" It works well, or used to. Unfortunately, a few users now use SPF, and it doesn't work between them. The mail is forwarded with the original "From" address but from my server, so SPF flags a mismatch and the destination server rejects it. So I'm thinking of using a mailing list instead. If none of your users use SPF, the general rule is fine, and easy to set up.</p><p>Chris </p>

Rolf, Thomas and Chris

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to create the .mlf files with a script, first I have to understand its content., lines like the following are pretty mysterious for me:

A    address1@domain.com    1first name    D---------------    00000000    000101000000    000101000000    000101000000    password    comment

Is there any manual who explain this?

Regards

<p>Rolf, Thomas and Chris</p> <p> Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to create the .mlf files with a script, first I have to understand its content., lines like the following are pretty mysterious for me:</p> <pre>A    address1@domain.com    1first name    D---------------    00000000    000101000000    000101000000    000101000000    password    comment</pre> <p>Is there any manual who explain this? </p> <p>Regards </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft