Mercury Suggestions
Why native Webmail is not necessary

A simple webmail interface integrated with Mercury would be fine. Any integrated interface would work better than an external interface. No need for a full webserver (with all it's functions, virtual hosts, cgi, ...), just an interface.

The web interface should use templates files that can be modified by the users (like the normal mail templates).

Added: I've checked IMP. That's not what most users are looking for:to run IMP you need a webserver with PHP. What most people would like is a simple DLL that you could start and stop like the other modules (SMTP, POP, IMAP,...)

<p>A simple webmail interface integrated with Mercury would be fine. Any integrated interface would work better than an external interface. No need for a full webserver (with all it's functions, virtual hosts, cgi, ...), just an interface.</p><p>The web interface should use templates files that can be modified by the users (like the normal mail templates).</p><p>Added: I've checked IMP. That's not what most users are looking for:to run IMP you need a webserver with PHP. What most people would like is a simple DLL that you could start and stop like the other modules (SMTP, POP, IMAP,...) </p><p> </p>

Hi,

in Davids last announcement he wrote of the new mailstore code he was writing on and how this would be the basis for a whole lot of stuff we are waiting for, including a native webmail interface.

My proposal is simple: Don't write a webmail interface.

What? You might say, every user and his dog is expecting a webmail interface, so why not have one?

The answer is easy: There are tons of them already in existence, IMP from Horde to name just one.

Those webmail interfaces have had years of development already, are stable and reliable and usually free. They just need a stable and reliable IMAP server in the background, which Mercury will provide. Also, this will give a whole lot of extra features: IMP for example already allows the user to edit filter rules on the server. The imap server just needs to support certain extensions. So, a whole lot of features will come basically for free. (Well, not really, the server side extension will have to be written, but the whole user interface is already there.)

What does the community think of this proposal? Would this be an acceptable way to handle webmail? What do the developers think?

Greetings

Markus

<P>Hi,</P><P>in Davids last announcement he wrote of the new mailstore code he was writing on and how this would be the basis for a whole lot of stuff we are waiting for, including a native webmail interface.</P><P>My proposal is simple: Don't write a webmail interface.</P><P>What? You might say, every user and his dog is expecting a webmail interface, so why not have one?</P><P>The answer is easy: There are tons of them already in existence, IMP from Horde to name just one.</P><P>Those webmail interfaces have had years of development already, are stable and reliable and usually free. They just need a stable and reliable IMAP server in the background, which Mercury will provide. Also, this will give a whole lot of extra features: IMP for example already allows the user to edit filter rules <STRONG>on the server</STRONG>. The imap server just needs to support certain extensions. So, a whole lot of features will come basically for free. (Well, not really, the server side extension will have to be written, but the whole user interface is already there.)</P><P> </P><P>What does the community think of this proposal? Would this be an acceptable way to handle webmail? What do the developers think?</P><P> </P><P>Greetings</P><P>Markus</P><P> </P>

If you want to find out what many users want or need - create a poll here at the community.

If you want to find out what many users want or need - create a poll here at the community.

I think Mercury/32 needs an official web client that works right out of the box. Perhaps as a module/plugin. It should be easy to skin as well..

I think Mercury/32 needs an official web client that works right out of the box. Perhaps as a module/plugin. It should be easy to skin as well..
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft