Community Discussions and Support
SquirrelMail + IMAP Mercury + Big mailbox = error

Hi i'm trying to set up squirrel and Mercury, the SMTP seams to receive mail okay but the mails stay trapped in mercury smtp queues they never get deposited/deleivered to individual mail boxes - so when a user logs onto the Squirrel system they do not see any mails - any ideas what this might be it's beeen driving me nuts !!

You really have not provided enough info. 

Does the MercuryS log show the mail has been received?

Does the mercury core screen show the mail being processed?

<blockquote>Hi i'm trying to set up squirrel and Mercury, the SMTP seams to receive mail okay but the mails stay trapped in mercury smtp queues they never get deposited/deleivered to individual mail boxes - so when a user logs onto the Squirrel system they do not see any mails - any ideas what this might be it's beeen driving me nuts !!</blockquote><p>You really have not provided enough info.  </p><p>Does the MercuryS log show the mail has been received?</p><p>Does the mercury core screen show the mail being processed? </p><p> </p>

Thanks for your suggestion last time,

now i have problem with my web mail using SquirrelMail 1.4.10a and Mercury

When login to mailbox with 12000 mails or 2 GB it's seems to "hang" than  gave up sometime Mercury error also

but it's need 2 minutes to login to mailbox with 600 mails sometime error 

of course with empty mailbox and some email is okey 

i have increase  memory_limit in php.ini to 80MB and max_execution_time=120

My server is Pentium-4 3GHz Memory 2 GB using Apache 2.2, PHP4, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a

what's wrong ?

thanks for your solution

Han 

<p>Thanks for your suggestion last time,</p><p> </p><p>now i have problem with my web mail using SquirrelMail 1.4.10a and Mercury</p><p> When login to mailbox with 12000 mails or 2 GB it's seems to "hang" than  gave up sometime Mercury error also </p><p>but it's need 2 minutes to login to mailbox with 600 mails sometime error </p><p>of course with empty mailbox and some email is okey </p><p>i have increase  memory_limit in php.ini to 80MB and max_execution_time=120 </p><p>My server is Pentium-4 3GHz Memory 2 GB using Apache 2.2, PHP4, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a</p><p>what's wrong ? </p><p>thanks for your solution </p><p> </p><p>Han </p>

I'm not sure this is a problem with Mercury.

I'm running Mercury 4.01c, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a, Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2.3, on a Windows XP Pro SP2 box with 512 MB ram and 3.20 Intel processor.  I can open a mail account with 4,000 emails in less than 18 seconds.  It has never timed out or stopped connecting.

Under your options in SquirrelMail, what is the default value for "Display Options", "Number of Messages per Page"?  I have it set to only show the first 15 messages (default value).  Setting this to a larger value will take longer to open the mail account.  If I set it to 1,000 emails it takes 52 seconds to open, but once again with no problems.

My PHP.ini file has the memory_limit = 128 M (default value), max_execution_time = 60 (default value).

<P>I'm not sure this is a problem with Mercury.</P> <P>I'm running Mercury 4.01c, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a, Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2.3, on a Windows XP Pro SP2 box with 512 MB ram and 3.20 Intel processor.  I can open a mail account with 4,000 emails in less than 18 seconds.  It has never timed out or stopped connecting.</P> <P> Under your options in SquirrelMail, what is the default value for "Display Options", "Number of Messages per Page"?  I have it set to only show the first 15 messages (default value).  Setting this to a larger value will take longer to open the mail account.  If I set it to 1,000 emails it takes 52 seconds to open, but once again with no problems.</P> <P>My PHP.ini file has the memory_limit = 128 M (default value), max_execution_time = 60 (default value).</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Han"]

Thanks for your suggestion last time,

now i have problem with my web mail using SquirrelMail 1.4.10a and Mercury

When login to mailbox with 12000 mails or 2 GB it's seems to "hang" than  gave up sometime Mercury error also

but it's need 2 minutes to login to mailbox with 600 mails sometime error 

of course with empty mailbox and some email is okey 

i have increase  memory_limit in php.ini to 80MB and max_execution_time=120

My server is Pentium-4 3GHz Memory 2 GB using Apache 2.2, PHP4, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a

what's wrong ?

thanks for your solution

Han 

[/quote]

Squirrelmail v1.4 is optimized for a IMAP4 server that supports the SORT function.  SquirrelMail v1.5.1 has a faster sorting and caching function than v1.4..  Mercury/32 does not support the SORT function,so therefore you should be using v1.5.1.  I've been using this for quite some time and it does work a lot better with large folders.  I can open folders with 20K messages but it does not sort all that well.  FWIW I never have a problem with 600 message files with either version.  SquirrelMail v1.5.1, Apache v1.3.8, PHP4, AMD 3800, 2GB RAM.

[quote user="Han"]<p>Thanks for your suggestion last time,</p><p>now i have problem with my web mail using SquirrelMail 1.4.10a and Mercury</p><p> When login to mailbox with 12000 mails or 2 GB it's seems to "hang" than  gave up sometime Mercury error also </p><p>but it's need 2 minutes to login to mailbox with 600 mails sometime error </p><p>of course with empty mailbox and some email is okey </p><p>i have increase  memory_limit in php.ini to 80MB and max_execution_time=120 </p><p>My server is Pentium-4 3GHz Memory 2 GB using Apache 2.2, PHP4, SquirrelMail 1.4.10a</p><p>what's wrong ? </p><p>thanks for your solution </p><p> </p><p>Han </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> Squirrelmail v1.4 is optimized for a IMAP4 server that supports the SORT function.  SquirrelMail v1.5.1 has a faster sorting and caching function than v1.4..  Mercury/32 does not support the SORT function,so therefore you should be using v1.5.1.  I've been using this for quite some time and it does work a lot better with large folders.  I can open folders with 20K messages but it does not sort all that well.  FWIW I never have a problem with 600 message files with either version.  SquirrelMail v1.5.1, Apache v1.3.8, PHP4, AMD 3800, 2GB RAM. </p><p>  </p>

[quote user="Eagle"]

I'm not sure this is a problem with Mercury.

Under your options in SquirrelMail, what is the default value for "Display Options", "Number of Messages per Page"?  I have it set to only show the first 15 messages (default value).

[/quote]

thanks Eagle, 

my default value for "Display Options" is 15 as default value

[quote user="Eagle"]<p>I'm not sure this is a problem with Mercury.</p><p>Under your options in SquirrelMail, what is the default value for "Display Options", "Number of Messages per Page"?  I have it set to only show the first 15 messages (default value).</p><p> [/quote]</p><p>thanks Eagle, </p><p>my default value for "Display Options" is 15 as default value </p>

thanks Thomas R. Stephenson,

i will try SquirrelMail v1.5.1 but it is still Development version

is it okey..?

Thanks

Han 

<p>thanks Thomas R. Stephenson,</p><p> i will try SquirrelMail v1.5.1 but it is still Development version</p><p>is it okey..?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p>Han </p>

[quote user="Han"]

thanks Thomas R. Stephenson,

i will try SquirrelMail v1.5.1 but it is still Development version

is it okey..?

Thanks

Han 

[/quote]

All I can say is that SquirrellMail, like all open source, is always in development.  There are many that use this version because it fixes the problems of v1.4.x.  When v1.4 does not work and 1.5 does then you use it.  ;-)

[quote user="Han"]<p>thanks Thomas R. Stephenson,</p><p> i will try SquirrelMail v1.5.1 but it is still Development version</p><p>is it okey..?  </p><p>Thanks</p><p>Han </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>All I can say is that SquirrellMail, like all open source, is always in development.  There are many that use this version because it fixes the problems of v1.4.x.  When v1.4 does not work and 1.5 does then you use it.  ;-)</p><p> </p><p>  </p>

I tried to upgrade sequirrelmail v1.5.1 but still problem with 13000 emails,

when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)

i already set 10 emails per page, so why SquirrelMail loading all email ?

is there facility to manage the email loading ?

<p>I tried to upgrade sequirrelmail v1.5.1 but still problem with 13000 emails,</p><p>when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)</p><p>i already set 10 emails per page, so why SquirrelMail loading all email ?</p><p>is there facility to manage the email loading ? </p>

[quote user="Han"]

when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)

[/quote]

I assume this means that all 13,000 messages are in the inbox and that might be a problem since SquirrelMail goes out and looks at all of them.  Is there any reason you need to have all of these messages in the inbox and not in a separate folder?

[quote user="Han"]<p>I tried to upgrade sequirrelmail v1.5.1 but still problem with 13000 emails,</p><p>when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)</p><p>i already set 10 emails per page, so why SquirrelMail loading all email ?</p><p>is there facility to manage the email loading ? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I assume this means that all 13,000 messages are in the inbox and that might be a problem since SquirrelMail goes out and looks at all of them.  Is there any reason you need to have all of these messages in the inbox and not in a separate folder?</p><p> </p>

I have been seeing this since updating Mercury to 4.51.  I did not have this problem with 4.01c.  I've been trying to see what to try.  Has anyone else noticed a difference since updating.

Stephen 

<p>I have been seeing this since updating Mercury to 4.51.  I did not have this problem with 4.01c.  I've been trying to see what to try.  Has anyone else noticed a difference since updating.</p><p> </p><p>Stephen </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Han"]

[/quote]

I assume this means that all 13,000 messages are in the inbox and that might be a problem since SquirrelMail goes out and looks at all of them.  Is there any reason you need to have all of these messages in the inbox and not in a separate folder?

[/quote]

Thanks Thomas,

All 13,000 messages in one folder and still leave in server for backup, i don't want to delete from server when i read using Outlook Express.

how to split those emails in a separate folder ? from Outlook Express or directly from Windows Explorer ?

because it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser)

Thanks, 

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Han"]<p>I tried to upgrade sequirrelmail v1.5.1 but still problem with 13000 emails,</p><p>when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)</p><p>i already set 10 emails per page, so why SquirrelMail loading all email ?</p><p>is there facility to manage the email loading ? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I assume this means that all 13,000 messages are in the inbox and that might be a problem since SquirrelMail goes out and looks at all of them.  Is there any reason you need to have all of these messages in the inbox and not in a separate folder?</p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks Thomas,</p><p>All 13,000 messages in one folder and still leave in server for backup, i don't want to delete from server when i read using Outlook Express. </p><p>how to split those emails in a separate folder ? from Outlook Express or directly from Windows Explorer ?</p><p>because it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) </p><p> </p><p>Thanks, </p>

[quote user="Han"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Han"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Thomas,

All 13,000 messages in one folder and still leave in server for backup, i don't want to delete from server when i read using Outlook Express.

how to split those emails in a separate folder ? from Outlook Express or directly from Windows Explorer ?

because it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser)
Thanks, 

[/quote]

The easiest way is to create the folder in your IMAP4 mail client  and then move the mail into the folder.  Personally I feel you are taking a risk when you put 13K of anything on one place.  I'd split these into different folders so that if one gets broken you have not lost the entire backup.  In addition, if these are critical data, I'd be backing up the server and all of the mailbox directories on a regular basis, perhaps daily.

[quote user="Han"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Han"]<p>I tried to upgrade sequirrelmail v1.5.1 but still problem with 13000 emails,</p><p>when i login it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) so it's need long time and sometime error (hang)</p><p>i already set 10 emails per page, so why SquirrelMail loading all email ?</p><p>is there facility to manage the email loading ? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I assume this means that all 13,000 messages are in the inbox and that might be a problem since SquirrelMail goes out and looks at all of them.  Is there any reason you need to have all of these messages in the inbox and not in a separate folder?</p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks Thomas,</p><p>All 13,000 messages in one folder and still leave in server for backup, i don't want to delete from server when i read using Outlook Express. </p><p>how to split those emails in a separate folder ? from Outlook Express or directly from Windows Explorer ?</p><p>because it's look like all emails downloaded in client (browser) Thanks, </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>The easiest way is to create the folder in your IMAP4 mail client  and then move the mail into the folder.  Personally I feel you are taking a risk when you put 13K of anything on one place.  I'd split these into different folders so that if one gets broken you have not lost the entire backup.  In addition, if these are critical data, I'd be backing up the server and all of the mailbox directories on a regular basis, perhaps daily.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="StephenKovacsiss"]

I have been seeing this since updating Mercury to 4.51.  I did not have this problem with 4.01c.  I've been trying to see what to try.  Has anyone else noticed a difference since updating.

Stephen 

[/quote]

I've been using SquirrelMail v1.5.1 with Apache v1.3 and PHP v4 using Mercury/32 v4.5  (though it's various betas) for months now and have not seen any particular problems at all.  Much of that time I'd been using a old 900 mhz eMachive w/128 MBytes RAM  until I smoked the system. Did you add anything on when you started using v4.51?

[quote user="StephenKovacsiss"]<p>I have been seeing this since updating Mercury to 4.51.  I did not have this problem with 4.01c.  I've been trying to see what to try.  Has anyone else noticed a difference since updating.</p><p>Stephen </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I've been using SquirrelMail v1.5.1 with Apache v1.3 and PHP v4 using Mercury/32 v4.5  (though it's various betas) for months now and have not seen any particular problems at all.  Much of that time I'd been using a old 900 mhz eMachive w/128 MBytes RAM  until I smoked the system. Did you add anything on when you started using v4.51?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Hi i'm trying to set up squirrel and Mercury, the SMTP seams to receive mail okay but the mails stay trapped in mercury smtp queues they never get deposited/deleivered to individual mail boxes - so when a user logs onto the Squirrel system they do not see any mails - any ideas what this might be it's beeen driving me nuts !!

h

<P>Hi i'm trying to set up squirrel and Mercury, the SMTP seams to receive mail okay but the mails stay trapped in mercury smtp queues they never get deposited/deleivered to individual mail boxes - so when a user logs onto the Squirrel system they do not see any mails - any ideas what this might be it's beeen driving me nuts !!</P> <P>h</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft