Extension development
Looking for someone to develop a working daemon to remove "known" invalid email addresses from outgoing email

Rolf:

I just thought I'd drop in an give you another big "thanks" for this one, it has been working beautifully since installed.

Matt

<p>Rolf:</p><p> </p><p>I just thought I'd drop in an give you another big "thanks" for this one, it has been working beautifully since installed. </p><p> </p><p>Matt</p><p> </p>

I am a visual basic programmer, and have never been able to get into the mind-set to do C++ coding...

Our users use Mercury/32 for outgoing email only.  There are several domains involved..

Any way, I'm looking for a Mercury/32 daemon to do the following:

1) Process each message received by Mercury (outgoing email only)

2) Extract each email address in the to:, cc: or bcc: and match against a list of email addresses in a text file (you can pick the name).  Let's assume the list of email addresses in the text file is in alphabetic order, one email per line.  This file could be updated once in a while using a visual basic program, which I can certainly build..

3) If a match is found, modify the email address in the outgoing email by adding @removedemails(or something else) to the end of the email address to ensure that it cannot be delivered anywhere

4) Allow the email to continue on it's way, with invalid email addresses removed..

Does it sound doable?  Any volunteers?

Thanks for your help!

<p>I am a visual basic programmer, and have never been able to get into the mind-set to do C++ coding...</p><p> Our users use Mercury/32 for outgoing email only.  There are several domains involved.. </p><p> Any way, I'm looking for a Mercury/32 daemon to do the following:</p><p>1) Process each message received by Mercury (outgoing email only)</p><p>2) Extract each email address in the to:, cc: or bcc: and match against a list of email addresses in a text file (you can pick the name).  Let's assume the list of email addresses in the text file is in alphabetic order, one email per line.  This file could be updated once in a while using a visual basic program, which I can certainly build.. </p><p>3) If a match is found, modify the email address in the outgoing email by adding @removedemails(or something else) to the end of the email address to ensure that it cannot be delivered anywhere </p><p> 4) Allow the email to continue on it's way, with invalid email addresses removed.. </p><p>Does it sound doable?  Any volunteers? </p><p>Thanks for your help!</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Try this: http://downloads.serieguide.se/RcptStop.zip

It will check messages with a local sender, and if a recipient is in the list delivery for that recipient will be set as failed. A notification will be issued to the sender.

The blocklist file can be updated manually or using the included configuration dialog.

/Rolf

<p>Try this: http://downloads.serieguide.se/RcptStop.zip</p><p>It will check messages with a local sender, and if a recipient is in the list delivery for that recipient will be set as failed. A notification will be issued to the sender.</p><p>The blocklist file can be updated manually or using the included configuration dialog.</p><p>/Rolf</p><p> </p>

Rolf:

Interesting.  Question though... since our mercury server does not receive any email at all, we have no "local" users..  will this work for any and all outgoing emails, no matter who they are from?

Thanks!

<p>Rolf:</p><p> </p><p>Interesting.  Question though... since our mercury server does not receive any email at all, we have no "local" users..  will this work for any and all outgoing emails, no matter who they are from?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks! </p>

No. Unless you download version 1.0.1 (from the same URL), where you can select if all messages should be checked or only those with local senders (local domain or confirmed local user). Note that the first line in the configuration file now is reserved for this setting.

/Rolf 

<p>No. Unless you download version 1.0.1 (from the same URL), where you can select if all messages should be checked or only those with local senders (local domain or confirmed local user). Note that the first line in the configuration file now is reserved for this setting.</p><p>/Rolf </p>

Rolf:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I copied the DLL into my mercury folder (as in the readme)..  Since I have no daemon.ini in my system, I copied the .ini into the mercury folder.  I stopped and restarted Mercury, went to the configuration for rcptstop, made sure that "all users" was selected and added one email address that I know is bad.  I composed an email to that address in Pegasus, and clicked send.  Nothing appears in the mercurys log at all, and nothing came back to me..

Once I removed the .ini, and stopped and restarted Mercury, emails started again, and the one that I had sent as a test failed as normal(mercurye)..(never showed in the mercurys log though, along with a couple of other emails that were sent at the same time not showing in the log)

I do have version 4.72..

Did I do something incorrect, or is there a step I missed?

Thanks!

<p>Rolf:</p><p> </p><p> Maybe I'm doing something wrong...</p><p>I copied the DLL into my mercury folder (as in the readme)..  Since I have no daemon.ini in my system, I copied the .ini into the mercury folder.  I stopped and restarted Mercury, went to the configuration for rcptstop, made sure that "all users" was selected and added one email address that I know is bad.  I composed an email to that address in Pegasus, and clicked send.  Nothing appears in the mercurys log at all, and nothing came back to me..</p><p> Once I removed the .ini, and stopped and restarted Mercury, emails started again, and the one that I had sent as a test failed as normal(mercurye)..(never showed in the mercurys log though, along with a couple of other emails that were sent at the same time not showing in the log) </p><p>I do have version 4.72.. </p><p>Did I do something incorrect, or is there a step I missed? </p><p>Thanks! </p>

Global daemons will write to the System Messages window, and if everything is normal it should say "RcptStop daemon loaded successfully" at startup. When a listed message is found it should say "RcptStop: <xxx@xxxx.com> not allowed". In the core dialog you should at the same time see "Job XXXXXXX: Processing failed deliveries and generating notifications", followed by entries for the notification message(s).

If the daemon is loaded but does not trigger there is probably not an exact match for the address.

The daemon will not interact with MercuryS in any way, it will check messages when they are handed over to core.

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;Global daemons will write to the System Messages window, and if everything is normal it should say &quot;RcptStop daemon loaded successfully&quot; at startup. When a listed message is found it should say &quot;RcptStop: &amp;lt;xxx@xxxx.com&amp;gt; not allowed&quot;. In the core dialog you should at the same time see &quot;Job XXXXXXX: Processing failed deliveries and generating notifications&quot;, followed by entries for the notification message(s).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If the daemon is loaded but does not trigger there is probably not an exact match for the address.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The daemon will not interact with MercuryS in any way, it will check messages when they are handed over to core. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I just downloaded the daemon and installed it.  I do have a number of daemons running so all I did was add the DLL line to the appropriate sections and restarted Mercury.  I looked at the system messages and saw the daemon was loading and then did the configuration.  I sent sent a message including the bad addresses and saw the following system messages

Tue, 09:13:01    RcptStop: bademail@tstephenson.com not allowed
Tue, 09:13:01    RcptStop: badaddress@bayarea.net not allowed

I also got bounce messages saying the mail addresses were blocked but the message was sent to the good address.

Looks to me like it's working as designed. 

&lt;p&gt;I just downloaded the daemon and installed it.&amp;nbsp; I do have a number of daemons running so all I did was add the DLL line to the appropriate sections and restarted Mercury.&amp;nbsp; I looked at the system messages and saw the daemon was loading and then did the configuration.&amp;nbsp; I sent sent a message including the bad addresses and saw the following system messages &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Tue, 09:13:01&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;RcptStop: bademail@tstephenson.com not allowed Tue, 09:13:01&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;RcptStop: badaddress@bayarea.net not allowed &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I also got bounce messages saying the mail addresses were blocked but the message was sent to the good address.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Looks to me like it&#039;s working as designed.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

Thanks.. I did not know I should watch the system messages window.  I'll retry it.

Thanks.. I did not know I should watch the system messages window.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;ll retry it.

Just re-tested this..   Works Beautifully!  Thanks a lot for your help, this will be a big help to us.

Thanks again!

&lt;p&gt;Just re-tested this..&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Works Beautifully!&amp;nbsp; Thanks a lot for your help, this will be a big help to us.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks again! &lt;/p&gt;

Day 1 using this.  It truly a beautiful thing!  Just wanted to say thank you again..

Day 1 using this.&amp;nbsp; It truly a beautiful thing!&amp;nbsp; Just wanted to say thank you again..

Rolf:

I am still amazed by this module, but it does have one little problem which I'm hoping could be addressed - it works beautifully, but appears to be case specific.  We have one entry in the table of bad email addresses which begins with all4_23...  the problem is that the emails being sent out are to ALL4_23.... so the extension does not recognize it as a bad one...

Is this a simple modification?

Thanks for the wonderful extension!

&lt;p&gt;Rolf:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am still amazed by this module, but it does have one little problem which I&#039;m hoping could be addressed - it works beautifully, but appears to be case specific.&amp;nbsp; We have one entry in the table of bad email addresses which begins with all4_23...&amp;nbsp; the problem is that the emails being sent out are to ALL4_23.... so the extension does not recognize it as a bad one...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is this a simple modification?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks for the wonderful extension!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="mcorrow"]

Rolf:

I am still amazed by this module, but it does have one little problem which I'm hoping could be addressed - it works beautifully, but appears to be case specific.  We have one entry in the table of bad email addresses which begins with all4_23...  the problem is that the emails being sent out are to ALL4_23.... so the extension does not recognize it as a bad one...

Is this a simple modification?

[/quote]

Add ALL4_23.... to your table?

[quote user=&quot;mcorrow&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Rolf:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am still amazed by this module, but it does have one little problem which I&#039;m hoping could be addressed - it works beautifully, but appears to be case specific.&amp;nbsp; We have one entry in the table of bad email addresses which begins with all4_23...&amp;nbsp; the problem is that the emails being sent out are to ALL4_23.... so the extension does not recognize it as a bad one...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is this a simple modification?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Add ALL4_23.... to your table? &lt;/p&gt;

New version: http://downloads.serieguide.se/RcptStop.zip

New version:&amp;nbsp;&lt;span class=&quot;Apple-style-span&quot; style=&quot;font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; &quot;&gt;http://downloads.serieguide.se/RcptStop.zip&lt;/span&gt;

Rolf:

Thank you, Thank you...

&lt;p&gt;Rolf:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you, Thank you... &lt;/p&gt;

I would add ALL4_23 to the table, but there may also be other variations of that email address out there that our folks are using, so, although that might help, it wouldn't solve the problem..

Thanks again Rolf!

&lt;p&gt;I would add ALL4_23 to the table, but there may also be other variations of that email address out there that our folks are using, so, although that might help, it wouldn&#039;t solve the problem.. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks again Rolf! &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft