Community Discussions and Support
Converting Pegasus mail folders to Outlook

I don't know of a way to make public folders accessible via IMAP.  You would need to get them copied to the actual mailbox directory(ies) as individual messages or combined into a folder file.

Messages in public folders are stored as individual .CNR files.  They are the same as Pegasus Mail new message files (.CNM).  You can change the .CNR to .CNM and place the renamed file into a mailbox directory to have it appear as a new message.

If you want them in their own folder you would need to use Pegasus Mail to copy them from a public folder into a Pegasus Mail folder and then transfer the folder files to a Mercury mailbox directory.

<p>I don't know of a way to make public folders accessible via IMAP.  You would need to get them copied to the actual mailbox directory(ies) as individual messages or combined into a folder file. </p><p>Messages in public folders are stored as individual .CNR files.  They are the same as Pegasus Mail new message files (.CNM).  You can change the .CNR to .CNM and place the renamed file into a mailbox directory to have it appear as a new message.</p><p>If you want them in their own folder you would need to use Pegasus Mail to copy them from a public folder into a Pegasus Mail folder and then transfer the folder files to a Mercury mailbox directory. </p>

I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because we

are abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the dark

side: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30

users with years' of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I need

to get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities that

will take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanks

for any help! - JR

I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because we are abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the dark side: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30 users with years' of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I need to get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange. Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities that will take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanks for any help! - JR

On 14 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because we
> are abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the dark
> side: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30
> users with years' of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I need
> to get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange.
> Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities that
> will take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanks
> for any help! - JR

There are a few commercial programs to do this  type of conversion.

UniAccess
       http://www.comaxis.com/ua.htm

Aid4mail
       http://www.aid4mail.com/

Transend
       http://www.transend.com/

You might want to check out the converters available at the following site as well.
       http://www.emailman.com/conversion/#mboxwin

On 14 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because we &amp;gt; are abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the dark &amp;gt; side: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30 &amp;gt; users with years&#039; of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I need &amp;gt; to get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange. &amp;gt; Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities that &amp;gt; will take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanks &amp;gt; for any help! - JR There are a few commercial programs to do this&amp;nbsp; type of conversion. UniAccess &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; http://www.comaxis.com/ua.htm Aid4mail &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; http://www.aid4mail.com/ Transend &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; http://www.transend.com/ You might want to check out the converters available at the following site as well. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; http://www.emailman.com/conversion/#mboxwin

[quote user="jratzlaf"]I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because weare abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the darkside: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30users with years' of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I needto get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange.Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities thatwill take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanksfor any help! - JR[/quote]

I'd suggest you take a look at eMailman  > Conversion > Mailboxes to Mailboxes > Windows. Here's the link:

http://www.emailman.com/conversion/#mboxwin

There'll be something there. And if there's nothing that can do it directly, go via mbox.  There must be several convertors that can go between .pst and mbox. You can make a new folder in Pegasus's GUI, and choose UNIX format, then drag the mails to that. You'll then find the mbox file in Pegasus's support folder with the extension .MBX.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;jratzlaf&quot;]I hate to bring it up in a Pegasus forum, but I need help because weare abandoning Netware and Pegasus/Mercury, and going over to the darkside: Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook. I have 20-30users with years&#039; of accumulated emails in Pegasus folders, and I needto get it all transferred--automatically, if possible--into Exchange.Anyone have any ideas for me? Any freeware/shareware utilities thatwill take Pegasus mail folders and convert them to .pst files? Thanksfor any help! - JR[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;d suggest you take a look at eMailman &nbsp;&amp;gt; Conversion &amp;gt; Mailboxes to Mailboxes &amp;gt; Windows. Here&#039;s the link:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;http://www.emailman.com/conversion/#mboxwin&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There&#039;ll be something there.&nbsp;And if there&#039;s nothing that can do it directly, go via mbox. &nbsp;There must be several convertors that can go between .pst and mbox. You can make a new folder in Pegasus&#039;s GUI, and choose UNIX format, then drag the mails to that. You&#039;ll then find the mbox file in Pegasus&#039;s support folder with the extension .MBX.&lt;/p&gt;

Another possibility that some people have used in similar conversions, is to go via IMAP.

Pegasus Mail's companion product Mercury is a mailserver that can present you existing mailfolders through an IMAP interface to any suitable email client - including Outlook.  It would be a simple task to copy the messages while retaining the folder structure.

&lt;P&gt;Another possibility that some people have used in similar conversions, is to go via IMAP.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Pegasus Mail&#039;s companion product Mercury is a mailserver that can present you existing mailfolders through an IMAP interface to any suitable email client - including Outlook.&amp;nbsp; It would be a simple task to copy the messages while retaining the folder structure.&lt;/P&gt;

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I'm using Mercury and IMAP, but I

don't understand how I would go about using that to convert 20 or 30

users' mail folders. Would I have to log on to each user's account,

then run Outlook and connect it to the IMAP server, then... what? - JR

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I&#039;m using Mercury and IMAP, but I don&#039;t understand how I would go about using that to convert 20 or 30 users&#039; mail folders. Would I have to log on to each user&#039;s account, then run Outlook and connect it to the IMAP server, then... what? - JR

If you can leave the old Mercury server running you could just connect all the Outlook users to their old mailbox structures so that they can carry on using their email backlog where it is.   It's then also quite easy to actually move or copy emails to the new system as they are required.

I have also connected some of our users to our mercury server using Pop2 and Outlook.   Personally after so many years of using Pegasus I can't get on with Outlook's old fashioned interface but I guess that is just me. 

&lt;p&gt;If you can leave the old Mercury server running you could just connect all the Outlook users to their old mailbox structures so that they can carry on using their email backlog where it is.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s then also quite easy to actually move or copy emails to the new system as they are required.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have also connected some of our users to our mercury server using Pop2 and Outlook. &amp;nbsp; Personally after so many years of using Pegasus I can&#039;t get on with Outlook&#039;s old fashioned interface but I guess that is just me.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Many thanks for the several answers. Now that it's all done, I'll

describe what worked, in case it is of any benefit to future readers:

With

the old Mercury server still running in the Netware environment, we

attached a workstation with Outlook installed and connected Outlook to

the IMAP server of Mercury. Once the user was logged in, the folders

would show up. Initially Outlook will only show "subscribed" folders,

and you have to uncheck where it says "show only subscribed folders"

(point at an IMAP folder, right click, choose "IMAP folders..."). Once

all folders are showing, you have to "touch" every one so that Outlook

will go out and get the contents. Once you're sure that ALL the

messages in ALL the folders are present in Outlook, then you can do the

export: Click on "Personal Folders" at the top of the folder list, pull

down "File" and select "Import and Export...", choose "Export to a

file", select Personal Folder File (.pst); in the folder list

presented, select the root of the IMAP folders and check the "include

subfolders" box. Then specify a name and location for the exported .pst

file. Then you can name the folders; I named ours "Pegasus folders". I

changed no other options.

Once the .pst file has

been created, go to a computer on the Windows domain, with Outlook

connected to Exchange, and import the .pst file.

It

worked well (although not perfectly--there were a few minor glitches).

And it was free, and it preserved the folder structure (subfolders,

etc.). So overall, I'm pleased (although I'm still not sold on

Outlook/Exchange!). - JR 

&lt;p&gt;Many thanks for the several answers. Now that it&#039;s all done, I&#039;ll describe what worked, in case it is of any benefit to future readers:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;With the old Mercury server still running in the Netware environment, we attached a workstation with Outlook installed and connected Outlook to the IMAP server of Mercury. Once the user was logged in, the folders would show up. Initially Outlook will only show &quot;subscribed&quot; folders, and you have to uncheck where it says &quot;show only subscribed folders&quot; (point at an IMAP folder, right click, choose &quot;IMAP folders...&quot;). Once all folders are showing, you have to &quot;touch&quot; every one so that Outlook will go out and get the contents. Once you&#039;re sure that ALL the messages in ALL the folders are present in Outlook, then you can do the export: Click on &quot;Personal Folders&quot; at the top of the folder list, pull down &quot;File&quot; and select &quot;Import and Export...&quot;, choose &quot;Export to a file&quot;, select Personal Folder File (.pst); in the folder list presented, select the root of the IMAP folders and check the &quot;include subfolders&quot; box. Then specify a name and location for the exported .pst file. Then you can name the folders; I named ours &quot;Pegasus folders&quot;. I changed no other options.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Once the .pst file has been created, go to a computer on the Windows domain, with Outlook connected to Exchange, and import the .pst file.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It worked well (although not perfectly--there were a few minor glitches). And it was free, and it preserved the folder structure (subfolders, etc.). So overall, I&#039;m pleased (although I&#039;m still not sold on Outlook/Exchange!). - JR&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I have a similar problem.

I have used pmail as email client to read msg from my ISP, I've never installed/used Mercury before.

Now I would like to import all my Pegasus mail to MS Outlook and I need some detailed help on how to do this. I think these should be the steps to do, but after installing mercury, I haven't been able to do not the first so I'm stuck.

1) I was trying to setup Mercury as mail server, copying all my current pegasus mail

2) and then connect outlook to Mercury in order to download all the msg to the new client.

can someone help?

&lt;p&gt;I have a similar problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have used pmail as email client to read msg from my ISP, I&#039;ve never installed/used Mercury before.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Now I would like to import all my Pegasus mail to MS Outlook and I need some detailed help on how to do this. I think these should be the steps to do, but after installing mercury, I haven&#039;t been able to do not the first so I&#039;m stuck. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1) I was trying to setup Mercury as mail server, copying all my current pegasus mail &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2) and then connect outlook to Mercury in order to download all the msg to the new client.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;can someone help? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

> I have a similar problem.
>
> I have used pmail as email client to read msg from my ISP, I've never
> installed/used Mercury before.
>
> Now I would like to import all my Pegasus mail to MS Outlook and I need
> some detailed help on how to do this. I think these should be the steps
> to do, but after installing mercury, I haven't been able to do not the
> first so I'm stuck.
>
>
> 1)  I was trying to setup Mercury as mail server, copying all my
>     current pegasus mail
>
> 2)  and then connect outlook to Mercury in order to download all the
>     msg to the new client.
>
> can someone help?

Download Mercury/32 and install it on your computer.  You'll need to configure it with a default user account and copy your Pegasus mail account folder (probably c:\pmail\mail) to the default user account.  (You want to use a copy of the folders rather than the actual folders just in case) Make sure you install the IMAP module.  Test your setup within WinPMail, you should be able to create a new IMAP profile connecting to 127.0.0.1 and see a copy of your Mail folders.

Now connect using Outlook to the Mercury IMAP4 account and see the mail.

If you want to transfer this mail to another IMAP4 server you can use IMAPCopy.

Download IMAPCopy:
http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/imapcopy/imapcopy.html

Configure it to copy from 127.0.0.1 to your IMAP Server remote account. These configuration settings are entered into the ImapCopy.cfg file.  Then run:

imapcopy.exe -s -e

the -e tells IMAPCopy to copy all folders, including empty ones and the -s tells IMAPCopy to subscribe you to any folders that are created on the destination.  When IMAPCopy finishes, you should have all your Pegasus Mail folders/messages moved to the IMAP Server.

&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; I have a similar problem. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have used pmail as email client to read msg from my ISP, I&#039;ve never &amp;gt; installed/used Mercury before. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Now I would like to import all my Pegasus mail to MS Outlook and I need &amp;gt; some detailed help on how to do this. I think these should be the steps &amp;gt; to do, but after installing mercury, I haven&#039;t been able to do not the &amp;gt; first so I&#039;m stuck. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; 1)&amp;nbsp; I was trying to setup Mercury as mail server, copying all my &amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; current pegasus mail &amp;gt; &amp;gt; 2)&amp;nbsp; and then connect outlook to Mercury in order to download all the &amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; msg to the new client. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; can someone help? Download Mercury/32 and install it on your computer.&amp;nbsp; You&#039;ll need to configure it with a default user account and copy your Pegasus mail account folder (probably c:\pmail\mail) to the default user account.&amp;nbsp; (You want to use a copy of the folders rather than the actual folders just in case) Make sure you install the IMAP module.&amp;nbsp; Test your setup within WinPMail, you should be able to create a new IMAP profile connecting to 127.0.0.1 and see a copy of your Mail folders. Now connect using Outlook to the Mercury IMAP4 account and see the mail. If you want to transfer this mail to another IMAP4 server you can use IMAPCopy. Download IMAPCopy: http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/imapcopy/imapcopy.html Configure it to copy from 127.0.0.1 to your IMAP Server remote account. These configuration settings are entered into the ImapCopy.cfg file.&amp;nbsp; Then run: imapcopy.exe -s -e the -e tells IMAPCopy to copy all folders, including empty ones and the -s tells IMAPCopy to subscribe you to any folders that are created on the destination.&amp;nbsp; When IMAPCopy finishes, you should have all your Pegasus Mail folders/messages moved to the IMAP Server.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Great!

Thanks to your suggestions I was able to export all pegasus mail to outlook.

The only missing steps/hints were:

- during Mercury installation I opted not to Install PMAIL integration (I don't know if it was useful, but it worked form me)

- in Mercury, Configuration, ManageLocalUsers, Change and set a password...

- then copy all the PMAIL\MAIL folder to MERCURY\MAIL\ADMIN folder

I had some trouble with outlook because at first it showed only an Inbox folder, then I had to right-click, "Update IMAP folder", subscribe to all folders and then (this is the worst part) I had to click on all folders and sub-folders, one by one, in order to synchronize them with the IMAP server (Mercury) but this I suppose is OT: its an Outlook issue!

In the end I had 1.8 GB of mail in Pegasus and now 1.3 GB of mail in Outlook, I hope this doesn't mean I've lost email but only a better compression in outlook's email format.

Thanks again.

Loris

&lt;p&gt;Great!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks to your suggestions I was able to export all pegasus mail to outlook. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The only missing steps/hints were:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;- during Mercury installation I opted not to Install PMAIL integration (I don&#039;t know if it was useful, but it worked form me) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;- in Mercury, Configuration, ManageLocalUsers, Change and set a password...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;- then copy all the PMAIL\MAIL folder to MERCURY\MAIL\ADMIN folder &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I had some trouble with outlook because at first it showed only an Inbox folder, then I had to right-click, &quot;Update IMAP folder&quot;, subscribe to all folders and then (this is the worst part) I had to click on all folders and sub-folders, one by one, in order to synchronize them with the IMAP server (Mercury) but this I suppose is OT: its an Outlook issue!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In the end I had 1.8 GB of mail in Pegasus and now 1.3 GB of mail in Outlook, I hope this doesn&#039;t mean I&#039;ve lost email but only a better compression in outlook&#039;s email format. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks again.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Loris &lt;/p&gt;

Hi, this was helpful and I've managed to migrate my mailbox, but how can I migrate mail that's in Pegasus Public Folders to outlook? I can't seem to find a way to transfer them into mercury to be seen by outlook via IMAP.

Has anyone managed to do this please?

Thanks 

&lt;p&gt;Hi, this was helpful and I&#039;ve managed to migrate my mailbox, but how can I migrate mail that&#039;s in Pegasus Public Folders to outlook? I can&#039;t seem to find a way to transfer them into mercury to be seen by outlook via IMAP.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Has anyone managed to&amp;nbsp;do this please?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft