Community Discussions and Support
Printing request closes Pegasus

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Michael. I understood the general issue with Pegasus Mail using the default print driver to display messages but did not realise the full implications of the HTML issue.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Michael. I understood the general issue with Pegasus Mail using the default print driver to display messages but did not realise the full implications of the HTML issue.

I don't have the problem but a friend. now using Win 10 Pro, has reported that [Ctrl] P and using the [Print] icon both shut Pegasus down.

I've searched the forum and FAQs without success. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

<p>I don't have the problem but a friend. now using Win 10 Pro, has reported that [Ctrl] P and using the [Print] icon both shut Pegasus down.</p><p>I've searched the forum and FAQs without success. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? </p>

Try using Shift + Ctrl + P to get something printed. You will be using either Bearhtmlor IERenderer html rendering .

HTH

<p>Try using Shift + Ctrl + P to get something printed. You will be using either Bearhtmlor IERenderer html rendering .</p><p> </p><p>HTH </p>

Thanks for your response. I've passed that observation on but can you suggest a reason that [Ctrl] P makes Pegasus close? which is really a more important answer than how to work around the problem.

Thanks for your response. I've passed that observation on but can you suggest a reason that [Ctrl] P makes Pegasus close? which is really a more important answer than how to work around the problem.

I've just had a remote session with Colin and tried the [Shift][Ctrl]P without success

I also showed him how he could copy the text and paste it into WordPerfect and then print from there but that is hardly satisfactory.

10:22 -  UPDATE  -  I'm now told that [Shift][Ctrl]P  DOES work. ???   -  still a work-a-round but doable.

<p>I've just had a remote session with Colin and tried the [Shift][Ctrl]P without success</p><p>I also showed him how he could copy the text and paste it into WordPerfect and then print from there but that is hardly satisfactory.</p><p> </p><p>10:22 -  UPDATE  -  I'm now told that [Shift][Ctrl]P  DOES work. ???   -  still a work-a-round but doable. </p>

[quote user="J.G"]still a work-a-round but doable. [/quote]

This isn't quite right. For formatted (HTML) messages both BearHtml and IERenderer provide their own print routines for avoiding issues with the built-in printing when processing HTML text. [Shift][Ctrl]P is their proper print command.

Additionally IER usually offers its printing to be set as default for HTML messages the first time it's invoked. allowing it to do so will change IER's configuration accordingly, manually accessible via its toolbar button menu. If done so IER's printing will be invoked using [Ctrl]P (only) for HTML messages.

Since the reported issue occurs on Windows 10 its very likely being caused by an improper transfer of Pegasus Mail from Windows 7 or a recent Win 10 update, I guess. IER, BTW, shows its shortcut on its button menu, so even if the menu is disabled (grayed out) along with IER you can always look-up shortcuts being used by BearHtml as well (except for the configuration)!

<p>[quote user="J.G"]still a work-a-round but doable. [/quote]</p><p>This isn't quite right. For formatted (HTML) messages both BearHtml and IERenderer provide their own print routines for avoiding issues with the built-in printing when processing HTML text. [Shift][Ctrl]P is their proper print command.</p><p>Additionally IER usually offers its printing to be set as default for HTML messages the first time it's invoked. allowing it to do so will change IER's configuration accordingly, manually accessible via its toolbar button menu. If done so IER's printing will be invoked using [Ctrl]P (only) for HTML messages.</p><p>Since the reported issue occurs on Windows 10 its very likely being caused by an improper transfer of Pegasus Mail from Windows 7 or a recent Win 10 update, I guess. IER, BTW, shows its shortcut on its button menu, so even if the menu is disabled (grayed out) along with IER you can always look-up shortcuts being used by BearHtml as well (except for the configuration)! </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thanks for that detailed analysis Micheal. I've reported back to Colin so that he can better understand what might have happened.

Since I still maintain that e-mail ought to be plain text and have never considered the issue of printing HTML formatted messages I suspect that what was/is happening is that the type of message selected will have a bearing upon whether [Ctrl]P (or the [Print] icon) works or not. I've asked Colin to do some tests in this regard. During the remote session that I reported, [Ctrl]P worked on one occasion but since I didn't take account of which message (in his inbox) was selected. I don't know if it was one of mine  -  ie. plain text  -  or HTLM formatted, I don't know if my theory is sound.

<p>Thanks for that detailed analysis Micheal. I've reported back to Colin so that he can better understand what might have happened.</p><p>Since I still maintain that e-mail ought to be plain text and have never considered the issue of printing HTML formatted messages I suspect that what was/is happening is that the type of message selected will have a bearing upon whether [Ctrl]P (or the [Print] icon) works or not. I've asked Colin to do some tests in this regard. During the remote session that I reported, [Ctrl]P worked on one occasion but since I didn't take account of which message (in his inbox) was selected. I don't know if it was one of mine  -  ie. plain text  -  or HTLM formatted, I don't know if my theory is sound.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="J.G"]I suspect that what was/is happening is that the type of message selected will have a bearing upon whether [Ctrl]P (or the [Print] icon) works or not. I've asked Colin to do some tests in this regard.[/quote]

If using IER there is no need for using Shift-Ctrl-P anymore if IER has been configured the default HTML printer. In this case IER will automatically jump in on HTML messages. The reason for this confusion is that both BearHtml and IER were added as extensions of Pegasus Mail, so they are limited in their access capabilities. I'll make a suggestion to David Harris to simplify printing.

<p>[quote user="J.G"]I suspect that what was/is happening is that the type of message selected will have a bearing upon whether [Ctrl]P (or the [Print] icon) works or not. I've asked Colin to do some tests in this regard.[/quote]</p><p>If using IER there is no need for using Shift-Ctrl-P anymore if IER has been configured the default HTML printer. In this case IER will automatically jump in on HTML messages. The reason for this confusion is that both BearHtml and IER were added as extensions of Pegasus Mail, so they are limited in their access capabilities. I'll make a suggestion to David Harris to simplify printing. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thanks again Michael,  My problem is that I haven't specifically set anything up (for myself or Colin) regarding printing - ie. I haven't overtly set IER or BearHtml  -  and the only option I see that concerns printing is the selection of a different font under [Incoming Mail][Message Reader].

I've been using Pegsus for as long as I can remember because it simply 'works' - and I don't need to print e-mails. This thread reared its head because I couldn't answer a question when I'm expected to know everything there is to know as far as IT is concerned :)

<p>Thanks again Michael,  My problem is that I haven't specifically set anything up (for myself or Colin) regarding printing - ie. I haven't overtly set IER or BearHtml  -  and the only option I see that concerns printing is the selection of a different font under [Incoming Mail][Message Reader].</p><p>I've been using Pegsus for as long as I can remember because it simply 'works' - and I don't need to print e-mails. This thread reared its head because I couldn't answer a question when I'm expected to know everything there is to know as far as IT is concerned :) </p><p> </p>

[quote user="J.G"]Thanks again Michael,  My problem is that I haven't specifically set anything up (for myself or Colin) regarding printing - ie. I haven't overtly set IER or BearHtml  -  and the only option I see that concerns printing is the selection of a different font under [Incoming Mail][Message Reader].[/quote]

I'm really, really, really surprised about almost no one (i.e. you arent't the only one!) seeing the IER button on Pegasus Mail's toolbar (see below). By clicking it you will get a popup menu offering exclusively IER options including the one for reverting to BearHtml and a Configure item opening IER's own configuration dialog offering a Printing section on its Various page.

<p>[quote user="J.G"]Thanks again Michael,  My problem is that I haven't specifically set anything up (for myself or Colin) regarding printing - ie. I haven't overtly set IER or BearHtml  -  and the only option I see that concerns printing is the selection of a different font under [Incoming Mail][Message Reader].[/quote]</p><p>I'm really, really, <i>really</i> surprised about almost no one (i.e. you arent't the only one!) seeing the IER button on Pegasus Mail's toolbar (see below). By clicking it you will get a popup menu offering exclusively IER options including the one for reverting to BearHtml and a <i>Configure</i> item opening IER's own configuration dialog offering a <i>Printing</i> section on its <i>Various</i> page. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]

... I'm really, really, really surprised about almost no one (i.e. you arent't the only one!) seeing the IER button on Pegasus Mail's toolbar (see below). By clicking it you will get a popup menu offering exclusively IER options including the one for reverting to BearHtml and a Configure item opening IER's own confuration dialog offering a Printing section on its Various page.

[/quote]

This is because the icon does not resemble anything to do with printing.  The Pegasus Mail logo over an Internet Explorer icon does not shout out 'Print'. Perhaps, as you suggest, simplifying this is the way to go. Use a single print engine - automatically default to IER or whichever because the default print icon leads to printed matter where HTML formatted messages look a mess (it throws the formatting completely out of whack). Having a single engine that deals equally well with plain text and HTML messages would be great. One of the commonest queries I have received about Pegasus Mail is why the printed messages lose their formatting - and I show them the IER button.

<p>[quote user="idw"]</p><p>... <span style="font-size: 10pt;">I'm really, really, </span><i style="font-size: 10pt;">really</i><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> surprised about almost no one (i.e. you </span>arent't<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> the only one!) seeing the IER button on Pegasus Mail's toolbar (see below). By clicking it you will get a popup menu offering exclusively IER options including the one for reverting to BearHtml and a </span><i style="font-size: 10pt;">Configure</i><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> item opening IER's own </span>confuration<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> dialog offering a </span><i style="font-size: 10pt;">Printing</i><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> section on its </span><i style="font-size: 10pt;">Various</i><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> page.</span></p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>This is because the icon does not resemble anything to do with printing.  The Pegasus Mail logo over an Internet Explorer icon does not shout out 'Print'. Perhaps, as you suggest, simplifying this is the way to go. Use a single print engine - automatically default to IER or whichever because the default print icon leads to printed matter where HTML formatted messages look a mess (it throws the formatting completely out of whack). Having a single engine that deals equally well with plain text and HTML messages would be great. One of the commonest queries I have received about Pegasus Mail is why the printed messages lose their formatting - and I show them the IER button.</p>

AAAAAH!!   Now you've pointed that icon out and to learn more about what difference IER makes I disabled it and that has caused Pegasus to display nothing ! :(   The Icon on the taskbar allows me to 'close window' and AeroView shows a blank window but the main Pegasus window simply doesn't appear.

I'm hoping there is a configuration file I can edit to restore the status quo !

<p>AAAAAH!!   Now you've pointed that icon out and to learn more about what difference IER makes I disabled it and that has caused Pegasus to display nothing ! :(   The Icon on the taskbar allows me to 'close window' and AeroView shows a blank window but the main Pegasus window simply doesn't appear.</p><p>I'm hoping there is a configuration file I can edit to restore the status quo ! </p><p> </p>

Panic over ----  PMAIL.INI  had  Application window rectangle = -1241 31 1123 920  so I changed  -1241 to 10  and  the window reappeared  (of course)  :)

Panic over ----  PMAIL.INI  had  Application window rectangle = -1241 31 1123 920  so I changed  -1241 to 10  and  the window reappeared  (of course)  :)

[quote user="Greenman"]Use a single print engine - automatically default to IER or whichever because the default print icon leads to printed matter where HTML formatted messages look a mess ... [/quote]

This won't happen since David Harris is already dealing with enough other stuff - which is already one reason for the HTML renderer being an "outsourced" module. The other main reason is that he can't regularly afford getting the most recent version of TER/HTS and keeping up with the constantly progressing HTML requirements. But there's an easier solution: Ctrl + P should just automatically use the respective proper printing machine like it already does if IER is configured as the default HTML printer. Unfortunately this can't provide a common user interface for all printer options, though.

<p>[quote user="Greenman"]Use a single print engine - automatically default to IER or whichever because the default print icon leads to printed matter where HTML formatted messages look a mess ... [/quote]</p><p>This won't happen since David Harris is already dealing with enough other stuff - which is already one reason for the HTML renderer being an "outsourced" module. The other main reason is that he can't regularly afford getting the most recent version of TER/HTS and keeping up with the constantly progressing HTML requirements. But there's an easier solution: Ctrl + P should just automatically use the respective proper printing machine like it already does if IER is configured as the default HTML printer. Unfortunately this can't provide a common user interface for all printer options, though. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft