Community Discussions and Support
Should PMR as a system variable work?

We used to use the 'set' command to add it to the path variable but after a while it stopped working on some machines (we don't know why). The Group Policy Preference method has worked flawlessly since that time. I think the key is to set the policy to update which ensures the PMR and PML variables are enforced on each client each time they start.

We used to use the 'set' command to add it to the path variable but after a while it stopped working on some machines (we don't know why). The Group Policy Preference method has worked flawlessly since that time. I think the key is to set the policy to update which ensures the PMR and PML variables are enforced on each client each time they start.

I've been using the -V command line option with PMR= to make a system-wide addressbook available to select users.  I now want to make it available to all user so have tried setting PMR= in the login script.  The environment variable gets set but Pegasus Mail doesn't see or use it (Win7 machines).  Should this work?

I've been using the -V command line option with PMR= to make a system-wide addressbook available to select users.  I now want to make it available to all user so have tried setting PMR= in the login script.  The environment variable gets set but Pegasus Mail doesn't see or use it (Win7 machines).  Should this work?

I just figured out that adding -V pmr=%pmr% to the command line works when "pmr" is set as an environment variable in the login script. 

My hope was to have write-protected system-wide addressbooks (in the \Programs directory) and user editable ones in the PMR path but setting PMR breaks access to the addressbooks in \Programs.  It appears the only option is to put all system-wide addressbooks in the PMR path and then set permissions at the file level.

<p>I just figured out that adding -V pmr=%pmr% to the command line works when "pmr" is set as an environment variable in the login script.  </p><p>My hope was to have write-protected system-wide addressbooks (in the \Programs directory) and user editable ones in the PMR path but setting PMR breaks access to the addressbooks in \Programs.  It appears the only option is to put all system-wide addressbooks in the PMR path and then set permissions at the file level. </p>

I use Group Policy Preferences to do this - works very well.

I use Group Policy Preferences to do this - works very well.

My knowledge of Group Policy isn't very deep so I don't have a vision of the benefit of using it over setting NTFS permissions.  How have you implemented it in Group Policy? 

My knowledge of Group Policy isn't very deep so I don't have a vision of the benefit of using it over setting NTFS permissions.  How have you implemented it in Group Policy? 

Here you are. I used to use 'set' to add the variables to each PC but this ensures that everyone gets it.

<p>Here you are. I used to use 'set' to add the variables to each PC but this ensures that everyone gets it.</p> [img]https://i.ibb.co/Z2ktMJq/PMR-PML-vars-annotated.jpg[/img]

Nice!  Thank you!

You still must add "-V pmr=%pmr%" to each command line though correct?

<p>Nice!  Thank you!</p><p>You still must add "-V pmr=%pmr%" to each command line though correct? </p>

No. I just use '\\htlincs.local\it\Pmail\winpm-32.exe -i greenman -ms' for each account.

No. I just use '\\htlincs.local\it\Pmail\winpm-32.exe -i greenman -ms' for each account.

Thanks for confirming that just setting a pmr environment variable should work.

Now to figure out why mine isn't.

<p>Thanks for confirming that just setting a pmr environment variable should work.</p><p>Now to figure out why mine isn't. </p>

Regarding permissions, our folder structure for Pegasus Mail is as follows:

Top level folder = PMail. Share and Security permissions: Authenticated Users = Full Control

Within PMail is winpm-32.exe etc. We have been using Pegasus Mail for many years and have simply upgraded the old installation each time so we don't use the newer folder structure where the exe's etc., are in a sub-folder off PMail. Address Books and Distribution Lists exist at the same level as the exe's.  Staff have full control permissions over all of this. As you know Address Books that are restricted can have their permissions set to disable inheritance and you can then define explicit permissions based on exactly who should have access.

Within PMail are the user folders - these all have permission inheritance disabled and are replaced with: authenticated users = Write only. User account that owns the mail in the folder has full control. 

<p>Regarding permissions, our folder structure for Pegasus Mail is as follows:</p><p>Top level folder = PMail. Share and Security permissions: Authenticated Users = Full Control</p><p>Within PMail is winpm-32.exe etc. We have been using Pegasus Mail for many years and have simply upgraded the old installation each time so we don't use the newer folder structure where the exe's etc., are in a sub-folder off PMail. Address Books and Distribution Lists exist at the same level as the exe's.  Staff have full control permissions over all of this. As you know Address Books that are restricted can have their permissions set to disable inheritance and you can then define explicit permissions based on exactly who should have access.</p><p> Within PMail are the user folders - these all have permission inheritance disabled and are replaced with: authenticated users = Write only. User account that owns the mail in the folder has full control.<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

It's working!  The PMR environment variable is now set in Group Policy.

Prior to that I got it to work on my machine which had the environment variable set manually but I can't explain why since I don't think I had changed anything since yeste

<p>It's working!  The PMR environment variable is now set in Group Policy.</p><p>Prior to that I got it to work on my machine which had the environment variable set manually but I can't explain why since I don't think I had changed anything since yeste </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft