Community Discussions and Support
Unable to send or receive email via Pegasus

Just in case you need a sample of what might have happened: This is what amnesty international published just these days.

Summary

• We have identified several campaigns of

credentials phishing, likely operated by the same attackers, targeting

hundreds of individuals spread across the Middle East and North Africa.

• In one campaign, the attackers were particularly going after

accounts on popular self-described “secure email” services, such as Tutanota and ProtonMail.

• In another campaign, the attackers have been targeting hundreds of

Google and Yahoo accounts, successfully bypassing common forms of

two-factor authentication.

<p>Just in case you need a sample of what might have happened: This is what <a mce_href="https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/research/2018/12/when-best-practice-is-not-good-enough/" target="_blank" href="https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/research/2018/12/when-best-practice-is-not-good-enough/">amnesty international published</a> just these days.</p><blockquote><h2 style="margin: 0cm; margin-bottom: .0001pt;"><span>Summary</span></h2> <ul><li><span><span>We have </span></span>identified several campaigns of credentials phishing, likely operated by the same attackers, targeting hundreds of individuals spread across the Middle East and North Africa.</li><li>In one campaign, the attackers were particularly going after accounts on popular self-described “secure email” services, such as <b>Tutanota</b> and <b>ProtonMail</b>.</li><li>In another campaign, the attackers have been targeting hundreds of Google and Yahoo accounts, successfully bypassing common forms of two-factor authentication.</li></ul></blockquote>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I have long used Pegasus.  I use it to send email thru my ISP, which is Comcast, and to download my incoming email from Gmail.  Both sending and receiving are now producing error messages, and I have no idea why.

Perhaps someone can help me re-configure the POP3 settings for use with Gmail and help me clear up at least that part of the problem.  Or is it all just one problem?

Oh.  I also get an IMAP error message when I open Pegasus.  I don't  know anything about IMAP.

Tom

<p>I have long used Pegasus.  I use it to send email thru my ISP, which is Comcast, and to download my incoming email from Gmail.  Both sending and receiving are now producing error messages, and I have no idea why.</p><p>Perhaps someone can help me re-configure the POP3 settings for use with Gmail and help me clear up at least that part of the problem.  Or is it all just one problem?</p><p>Oh.  I also get an IMAP error message when I open Pegasus.  I don't  know anything about IMAP.</p><p>Tom</p><p> </p><p> </p>

That fact that both sending and receiving have failed seems to indicate a problem unrelated to Pegasus Mail.  Some details of the error messages would be helpful.

Here is some information about Gmail with Pegasus Mail.

On the Gmail side you must enable POP3/IMAP, find the setting to
allow less secure apps and turn it on, and not use 2-factor
authentication.  Note: There is a place to specify access by specific
apps which you can use instead of allowing less secure apps if you prefer.

Configuration settings:

POP3: (they don't list POP3 configuration settings but these work)
pop.gmail.com
port 995
SSL

IMAP:
imap.gmail.com
port 993
SSL

SMTP:
smtp.gmail.com
port 465 for SSL
port 587 for TLS/STARTTLS

<p>That fact that both sending and receiving have failed seems to indicate a problem unrelated to Pegasus Mail.  Some details of the error messages would be helpful.</p><p>Here is some information about Gmail with Pegasus Mail. On the Gmail side you must enable POP3/IMAP, find the setting to allow less secure apps and turn it on, and not use 2-factor authentication.  Note: There is a place to specify access by specific apps which you can use instead of allowing less secure apps if you prefer.</p><p> Configuration settings:</p><p>POP3: (they don't list POP3 configuration settings but these work) pop.gmail.com port 995 SSL IMAP: imap.gmail.com port 993 SSL SMTP: smtp.gmail.com port 465 for SSL port 587 for TLS/STARTTLS </p>

Thank you very much.  I made the necessary settings in Google and in Pegasus.  Then I tried to both send and receive using Pegasus.  In both cases I got error messages including a "Trace showing end of transaction."  In both cases the trace ends with this:  "ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted."

What is so strange is that the same username and password work perfectly well when I sign in to my Google account directly with my Firefox browser.

Any thoughts?

<p>Thank you very much.  I made the necessary settings in Google and in Pegasus.  Then I tried to both send and receive using Pegasus.  In both cases I got error messages including a "Trace showing end of transaction."  In both cases the trace ends with this:  "ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted."</p><p>What is so strange is that the same username and password work perfectly well when I sign in to my Google account directly with my Firefox browser.</p><p> Any thoughts?</p><p> </p>

As both (unrelatated) accounts are failing it may be a good idea to set session loging, either per session (Tools|Options|create session log) or in cmd line (-Z 32) and compare your password(s) to the ones you use to manually log in

<p>As both (unrelatated) accounts are failing it may be a good idea to set session loging, either per session (Tools|Options|create session log) or in cmd line (-Z 32) and compare your password(s) to the ones you use to manually log in </p>

[quote user="tomdriver"]What is so strange is that the same username and password work perfectly well when I sign in to my Google account directly with my Firefox browser.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Are you sure the "allow less secure apps" option is enabled in Gmail? 

[quote user="tomdriver"]What is so strange is that the same username and password work perfectly well when I sign in to my Google account directly with my Firefox browser.<p> Any thoughts?[/quote]</p><p>Are you sure the "allow less secure apps" option is enabled in Gmail?  </p>

I didn't find "allow less secure apps" option in Gmail.  I did find other security settings that seemed OK.

But I stumbled upon something strange in my computer:  Windows put up a notice that my account settings were out of date.  It led me to Windows Settings, where my Gmail password was empty.  I put it in.  A few minutes later the same error occurred.  I repeated this several times.  Each time Windows first said the account was OK, but a few seconds later the password was missing again.  Is this an undetected virus, or what?

<p>I didn't find "allow less secure apps" option in Gmail.  I did find other security settings that seemed OK.</p><p>But I stumbled upon something strange in my computer:  Windows put up a notice that my account settings were out of date.  It led me to Windows Settings, where my Gmail password was empty.  I put it in.  A few minutes later the same error occurred.  I repeated this several times.  Each time Windows first said the account was OK, but a few seconds later the password was missing again.  Is this an undetected virus, or what? </p><p> </p>

What were you doing when you get that message?

Or more where were you going it (in which app)

<p>What were you doing when you get that message?</p><p> Or more where were you going it (in which app) </p>

[quote user="tomdriver"]Windows put up a notice that my account settings were out of date.  It led me to Windows Settings, where my Gmail password was empty.  I put it in.  A few minutes later the same error occurred.  I repeated this several times.  Each time Windows first said the account was OK, but a few seconds later the password was missing again.  Is this an undetected virus, or what?[/quote]

What does "WIndows did", "Windows led"  etc. mean? Why would Windows care about your GMAIL settings?

IMO this sounds a lot like phishing attempts so you should go directly to GMAIL.COM (better do so using another device in case your local hosts file has been modified already as well) and change your password there if not cancel the account immediately. Just hope you didn't use your account for logging in to other web services ...

<p>[quote user="tomdriver"]Windows put up a notice that my account settings were out of date.  It led me to Windows Settings, where my Gmail password was empty.  I put it in.  A few minutes later the same error occurred.  I repeated this several times.  Each time Windows first said the account was OK, but a few seconds later the password was missing again.  Is this an undetected virus, or what?[/quote]</p><p> What does "WIndows did", "Windows led"  etc. mean? Why would Windows care about your GMAIL settings? </p><p>IMO this sounds a lot like phishing attempts so you should go directly to GMAIL.COM (better do so using another device in case your local hosts file has been modified already as well) and change your password there if not cancel the account immediately. Just hope you didn't use your account for logging in to other web services ... </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft