Community Discussions and Support
Emails going through google servers suddenly fail w/550-5.7.1

RESOLVED: My website host's ISP mailserver suddenly started rejecting my emails--even with SSL certs in place. Host added SPF authentication for my domains, problem went away.
<div> </div><div>RESOLVED: My website host's ISP mailserver suddenly started rejecting my emails--even with SSL certs in place. Host added SPF authentication for my domains, problem went away.</div>

Msg I get appears below. Their help page is useless; I am NOT bulk mailing. Even replies to personal emails sent to me are failing. Gmail, google mail, and other domains that pass through google servers are failing.

I'm not doing anything I haven't been doing for the past ten years. Emails to addresses that worked for 10 years now bouncing. I can receive, but outgoing mails fail. My theory is that in their endless quest to inconvenience humanity, google is now rejecting any email with any kind of alias in the header. I use multiple IDs for various things, all of which are set up as email forwards to my main email ID, then filtered to the appropriate ID folders.

All of this started last week. 

Any diagnosis / help much appreciated!

Failure Msg:

This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
    550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
    550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 550
    5.7.1 information. i39si15632827plb.256 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
    command)

RESOLVED: My website host's ISP mailserver suddenly started rejecting my emails--even with SSL certs in place. Host added SPF authentication for my domains, problem went away.
<p>Msg I get appears below. Their help page is useless; I am NOT bulk mailing. Even replies to personal emails sent to me are failing. Gmail, google mail, and other domains that pass through google servers are failing.</p><p>I'm not doing anything I haven't been doing for the past ten years. Emails to addresses that worked for 10 years now bouncing. I can receive, but outgoing mails fail. My theory is that in their endless quest to inconvenience humanity, google is now rejecting any email with any kind of alias in the header. I use multiple IDs for various things, all of which are set up as email forwards to my main email ID, then filtered to the appropriate ID folders.</p><p>All of this started last week.  Any diagnosis / help much appreciated!</p><p> </p><p> Failure Msg:</p><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 550</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    5.7.1 information. i39si15632827plb.256 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    command)</span></div><div> </div><div>RESOLVED: My website host's ISP mailserver suddenly started rejecting my emails--even with SSL certs in place. Host added SPF authentication for my domains, problem went away.</div>

Where does gmail come into this?

Are you using their outgoing servers or is the recipient's domain hosted on gmail? 

<p>Where does gmail come into this?</p><p>Are you using their outgoing servers or is the recipient's domain hosted on gmail? </p>

Hi, thanks for the reply. 90% of fails are to gmail / google mail accounts. Those that are not (like this one) still say this, so I assume they're google-hosted:

To best protect our users from spam, the

550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 550

5.7.1 information. 
===

<p> Hi, thanks for the reply. 90% of fails are to gmail / google mail accounts. Those that are not (like this one) still say this, so I assume they're google-hosted:</p><p> <span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica;">To best protect our users from spam, the</span></p><div style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1</span></div><div style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 550</span></div><p><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica;">    5.7.1 information.</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">  === </span></p><p>RESOLVED: My website host's ISP mailserver suddenly started rejecting my emails--even with SSL certs in place. Host added SPF authentication for my domains, problem went away.</p>

[quote user="johnjames"]Hi, thanks for the reply. 90% of fails are to gmail / google mail accounts. Those that are not (like this one) still say this, so I assume they're google-hosted:[/quote]

Maybe there's a "man in the middle"? Take a look at this thread, it might help (it's about Google as well).

<p>[quote user="johnjames"]Hi, thanks for the reply. 90% of fails are to gmail / google mail accounts. Those that are not (like this one) still say this, so I assume they're google-hosted:[/quote]</p><p>Maybe there's a "man in the middle"? Take a look at <a mce_href="/forums/thread/50403.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/thread/50403.aspx">this thread</a>, it might help (it's about Google as well). </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thanks, will take a look! I THINK I've cleared the problem by getting an SSL cert for the domain from which I'm sending emails. Time will tell.

Thanks, will take a look! I THINK I've cleared the problem by getting an SSL cert for the domain from which I'm sending emails. Time will tell.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft