Community Discussions and Support
New installation: cannot get to the original Data Folder

Thank you for your help. The solution was embarrassingly simple. I had copied the path to the clipboard, then tried to paste it into the <default> box, bbut it had not worked. When I simply typed the path into that box, Peg headed over there and read all the messages and folders and so on into itself.

As recommended, I let Pegasus install itself into its default folder.

So I am now up and running. And very grateful for the help from you both.

&lt;p&gt;Thank you for your help. The solution was embarrassingly simple. I had copied the path to the clipboard, then tried to paste it into the &amp;lt;default&amp;gt; box, bbut it had not worked. When I simply typed the path into that box, Peg headed over there and read all the messages and folders and so on into itself.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As recommended, I let Pegasus install itself into its default folder. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;So I am now up and running. And very grateful for the help from you both. &lt;/p&gt;

Hello Pegasaurum:

I have had to reinstall win 7 x64 on my computer. My Pegasus mail folder containing all my messages, etc resides in a folder on my D:\ drive. Pegasus is installed on the C:\ drive in a folder called Program Files\aActive\PegMail.  When I did the installation  (version 473) I did not specify an email folder.

I click on the Pegasus icon, I am brought to the setting up mailboxes screen. I choose "Click here if there will only ever be one person running Pegasus Mail on this computer."  In the next screen, I paste the fill path to the folder where all my messages reside.  I do not select any file in the folder, but just point to hte folder itself.  D:\a1data\Pegasus.

The Pegasus screen disappears, but no messages, folders, etc appear.

What am I/have I done incorrectly?

Thank you for your help.

&lt;p&gt;Hello Pegasaurum:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; I have had to reinstall win 7 x64 on my computer. My Pegasus mail folder containing all my messages, etc resides in a folder on my D:\ drive. Pegasus is installed on the C:\ drive in a folder called Program Files\aActive\PegMail.&amp;nbsp; When I did the installation&amp;nbsp; (version 473) I did not specify an email folder. &amp;nbsp;I click on the Pegasus icon, I am brought to the setting up mailboxes screen. I choose &quot;Click here if there will only ever be one person running Pegasus Mail on this computer.&quot;&amp;nbsp; In the next screen, I paste the fill path to the folder where all my messages reside.&amp;nbsp; I do not select any file in the folder, but just point to hte folder itself.&amp;nbsp; D:\a1data\Pegasus. The Pegasus screen disappears, but no messages, folders, etc appear. What am I/have I done incorrectly? Thank you for your help.&lt;/p&gt;

Look for a file named PMAIL.USR  in D:\a1data and D:\a1data\Pegasus.  It's existence is an indication that the previous install was a multi-user install (recommended even for only one user).

If a PMAIL.USR file exists, uninstall Pegasus Mail then reinstall it.  Select the multi-user option and set the path to the directory where the PMAIL.USR file exists. 

NOTE:  I strongly suggest not installing in \Program Files.  This will work on Win7 but WILL NOT work on Win10.  You will save yourself some grief at Win10 upgrade time if you do this install to the default location of C:\PMAIL.

If PMAIL.USR file does not exist, go to the Help pull-down menu and select About Pegasus Mail...   Click the Info... button.  In the resulting display will be entries showing the paths Pegasus Mail is currently using for the Home and New mailbox locations.  They should be the same and should be to the directory where your mailbox files exists (eg: new message files are .CNM, folder files are .PMI & PMM, addressbooks are .PM! &.PMR).  If the paths are incorrect it's probably best at this stage to do an uninstall/reinstall (not in \Program Files as per above) selecting single user and pointing to the correct mailbox directory.

&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Look for a file named PMAIL.USR&amp;nbsp; in&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;D:\a1data and&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;D:\a1data\Pegasus.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s existence is an indication that the previous install was a multi-user install (recommended even for only one user).&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If a&amp;nbsp;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;PMAIL.USR file&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;exists, uninstall Pegasus Mail then reinstall it.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;Select the multi-user option and set the path to the directory where the PMAIL.USR file exists.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;NOTE:&amp;nbsp; I strongly suggest not installing in \Program Files.&amp;nbsp; This will work on Win7 but WILL NOT work on Win10.&amp;nbsp; You will save yourself some grief at Win10 upgrade time if you do this install to the default location of C:\PMAIL.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;If&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;a&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;PMAIL.USR file&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;does not exist, go to the Help pull-down menu and select About Pegasus Mail...&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Click the Info... button.&amp;nbsp; In the resulting display will be entries showing the paths Pegasus Mail is currently using for the Home and New mailbox locations.&amp;nbsp; They should be the same and should be to the directory where your mailbox files exists (eg: new message files are .CNM, folder files are .PMI &amp;amp; PMM, addressbooks are .PM! &amp;amp;.PMR).&amp;nbsp; If the paths are incorrect it&#039;s probably best at this stage to do an uninstall/reinstall (not in \Program Files as per above) selecting single user and pointing to the correct mailbox directory.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]NOTE:  I strongly suggest not installing in \Program Files.  This will work on Win7 but WILL NOT work on Win10.  You will save yourself some grief at Win10 upgrade time if you do this install to the default location of C:\PMAIL.[/quote]

It won't even work properly on Win7 unless you prevent Windows from protecting its system directories (introduced with Windows VISTA, BTW) by changing access rights which never should be done for safety reasons unless you're in a secure environment (which nobody can really guarantee anymore these days).

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]NOTE:&amp;nbsp; I strongly suggest not installing in \Program Files.&amp;nbsp; This will work on Win7 but WILL NOT work on Win10.&amp;nbsp; You will save yourself some grief at Win10 upgrade time if you do this install to the default location of C:\PMAIL.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It won&#039;t even work properly on Win7 unless you prevent Windows from protecting its system directories (introduced with Windows VISTA, BTW) by changing access rights which never should be done for safety reasons unless you&#039;re in a secure environment (which nobody can really guarantee anymore these days). &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft