Community Discussions and Support
Problem sending mail

I'm glad the problem has been identified.  

I wonder how many AOLers we have who post to listerv or mailman type lists with a reply-to set to the list address.

<p>I'm glad the problem has been identified.  </p><p>I wonder how many AOLers we have who post to listerv or mailman type lists with a reply-to set to the list address.</p>

I've been a very happy  user of Pegasus for over 20 years. I'm currently using V4.73. For no apparent reason, I suddenly cannot send outgoing emails. I can download incoming mail, but when  I click on the send command, nothing happens, the mail just sits in the queued mail box. I have checked the server and port addresses in the Internet Options, and my service provider confirms that these are correct. So it is not a service provider problem. I decided to reinstall Pegasus V4.73 but cannot find it listed as an available download. Any suggestions?

I've been a very happy  user of Pegasus for over 20 years. I'm currently using V4.73. For no apparent reason, I suddenly cannot send outgoing emails. I can download incoming mail, but when  I click on the send command, nothing happens, the mail just sits in the queued mail box. I have checked the server and port addresses in the Internet Options, and my service provider confirms that these are correct. So it is not a service provider problem. I decided to reinstall Pegasus V4.73 but cannot find it listed as an available download. Any suggestions?

The most current version is available from the Pegasus Mail website at www.pmail.com although it's very unlikely that a reinstall will help.  Turn on session logging then attempt a send and review the resulting log for a clue into the cause of failure.  DO NOT post the entire content of a log file because it will contain your credentials in easily decryptable form.  These are in the 4 lines following "AUTH LOGIN" (two of the lines start with "334").  Obfuscate these or remove them before posting the content.

To turn on session logging go to Tools > Internet options.  You'll see the tick box at the bottom of the General tab.  Don't forget to turn it off when done troubleshooting.

The log file will be created in a subdirectory of your home mailbox directory named TCPLogs.  The filename will be in the format TCP-??????-????-?.smtp.  It is a plain text file readable with a text editor like Notepad.

<p>The most current version is available from the Pegasus Mail website at www.pmail.com although it's very unlikely that a reinstall will help.  Turn on session logging then attempt a send and review the resulting log for a clue into the cause of failure.  DO NOT post the entire content of a log file because it will contain your credentials in easily decryptable form.  These are in the 4 lines following "AUTH LOGIN" (two of the lines start with "334").  Obfuscate these or remove them before posting the content.</p><p>To turn on session logging go to Tools > Internet options.  You'll see the tick box at the bottom of the General tab.  Don't forget to turn it off when done troubleshooting.</p><p>The log file will be created in a subdirectory of your home mailbox directory named TCPLogs.  The filename will be in the format TCP-??????-????-?.smtp.  It is a plain text file readable with a text editor like Notepad.</p>

It could be a disabled SMTP as OP did not mention any error dialog. An error pop-up would happen if SMTP fails. As he said that nothing happened I'd look if SMTP settings was disabled in some way.

Please, check on "Tools > Internet options... > Sending (SMTP)" to check if your current host have a (disabled) tag by its side. If not, click on Edit button and check its settings.

It could be a disabled SMTP as OP did not mention any error dialog. An error pop-up would happen if SMTP fails. As he said that nothing happened I'd look if SMTP settings was disabled in some way. Please, check on "Tools > Internet options... > Sending (SMTP)" to check if your current host have a (disabled) tag by its side. If not, click on Edit button and check its settings.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Hi. Thanks for your rapid responses. Definitely not a disabled SMTP. Have checked this as well as all my own settings with my internet service provider. When trying to send,nothing at all happens. The messages just sit in the queue!  I've not yet had a chance to try Brian's suggestion as I've had a stack of other urgent stuff to handle, but will try it later today. If that doesn't help I'll try again to find V4.73 and reinstall. Either way I'll report back.

<p> Hi. Thanks for your rapid responses. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Definitely not a disabled SMTP. Have checked this as well as all my own settings with my internet service provider. When trying to send,nothing at all happens. The messages just sit in the queue!  I've not yet had a chance to try Brian's suggestion as I've had a stack of other urgent stuff to handle, but will try it later today. If that doesn't help I'll try again to find V4.73 and reinstall. Either way I'll report back.</span></p>

Euler make a good point about mail going directly to the queue.  Either configuration is set to queue mail or the smtp server isn't available (which should trigger some sort of error).  What happens when you try to send a queued message?

If you use multiple identities and have the option enabled to "Send mail at once without placing in queue" keep in mind that setting is identity specific as is the smtp host selection.

If still no joy, consider disabling the current smtp host and creating a new one to rule out a problem with the existing smtp host file.

<p>Euler make a good point about mail going directly to the queue.  Either configuration is set to queue mail or the smtp server isn't available (which should trigger some sort of error).  What happens when you try to send a queued message?</p><p>If you use multiple identities and have the option enabled to "Send mail at once without placing in queue" keep in mind that setting is identity specific as is the smtp host selection.</p><p>If still no joy, consider disabling the current smtp host and creating a new one to rule out a problem with the existing smtp host file.</p><p> </p>

Hi Brian. I followed your suggestion and found an interesting result. It appears that my computer is trying to access the incorrect server. The TCPLog reflects as follows:

17:04:21.548: >> -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name

or bad password.<cr><lf>

17:04:21.551: << QUIT<cr><lf>

17:04:21.578: >> +OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

POP3 server signing off.<cr><lf>

17:04:21.578: --- Connection closed at 16 Apr 2019,

17:04:21.578. --- 

But my outgoing server, as correctly shown in my Internet Options, has an SMTP2  address. 

So my computer is trying to log into my receiving mail POP2 server instead of my outgoing SMTP2 server! Any suggestions as to how to fix this? This is the first time I've encountered this problem, which seems to be a software problem at my side rather than at the service provider's side.

&lt;p&gt;Hi Brian. I followed your suggestion and found an interesting result. It appears that my computer is trying to access the incorrect server. The TCPLog reflects as follows:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;white-space:pre&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;17:04:21.548: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;white-space:pre&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;17:04:21.551: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; QUIT&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;white-space:pre&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;17:04:21.578: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 POP3 server signing off.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;white-space:pre&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;17:04:21.578: --- Connection closed at 16 Apr 2019, 17:04:21.578. ---&lt;/span&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But my outgoing server, as correctly shown in my Internet Options, has an SMTP2&amp;nbsp; address.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;So my co&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;mputer is trying to log into my receiving mail POP2 server instead of my outgoing SMTP2 server! Any suggestions as to how to fix this? This is the first time I&#039;ve encountered this problem, which&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;seems to be a software problem at my side rather than at the service provider&#039;s side.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Sorry Brian, it seems that I was too hasty in sending the previous message. On rereading the TCP Log it may be that the "POP3 server signing off" refers to Microsoft's own server..

But the comment about "unknown user name or bad password" sheds no light on the matter, because the user name and password are definitely correct. I have checked and double-checked these. Also, following my service provider's suggestion, I have downloaded a beta product called Blue Mail and successfully sent an email from there using the user name and password as these appear in my Internet Tools. 

&lt;p&gt;Sorry Brian, it seems that I was too hasty in sending the previous message. On rereading the TCP Log it may be that the &quot;POP3 server signing off&quot; refers to Microsoft&#039;s own server..&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But the comment about &quot;unknown user name or bad password&quot; sheds no light on the matter, because the user name and password are definitely correct. I have checked and double-checked these. Also, following my service provider&#039;s suggestion, I have downloaded a beta product called Blue Mail and successfully sent an email from there using the user name and password as these appear in my Internet Tools.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I don't know how this could be happening.  POP3 host configuration files and SMTP host configuration files are unique files used based on the host selection in the in the Receiving and Sending tabs of Internet Options.  I would review every detail but would certainly create a new SMTP host configuration and disable then delete the old one once the new one is working.

After thought... Check your smtp host to see if it is configured to authenticate with one of the POP3 authentication options.

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know how this could be happening.&amp;nbsp; POP3 host configuration files and SMTP host configuration files are unique files used based on the host selection in the in the Receiving and Sending tabs of Internet Options.&amp;nbsp; I would review every detail but would certainly create a new SMTP host configuration and disable then delete the old one once the new one is working.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;After thought... Check your smtp host to see if it is configured to authenticate with one of the POP3 authentication options.&lt;/p&gt;

Earlier in this discussion I mentioned that the login credentials are logged.  The entries following the 334 entries are the username and password, base 64 encrypted.  Use an online decryption tool like the one at www.base64decode.org to confirm what is being transmitted.  Check for something invisible like a leading or trailing space.

Also confirm in your smtp host configuration (Security tab) that the option "Only use SSLv3.." is not checked although this one should log an issue about SSL but, IIRC, an SSL version issue results in a failed authentication.

&lt;p&gt;Earlier in this discussion I mentioned that the login credentials are logged.&amp;nbsp; The entries following the 334 entries are the username and password, base 64 encrypted.&amp;nbsp; Use an online decryption tool like the one at www.base64decode.org to confirm what is being transmitted.&amp;nbsp; Check for something invisible like a leading or trailing space.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Also confirm in your smtp host configuration (Security tab) that the option &quot;Only use SSLv3..&quot; is not checked although this one should log an issue about SSL but, IIRC, an SSL version issue results in a failed authentication.&lt;/p&gt;

Sorry if I'm too late. Didn't get posted by e-mail.

Anyway, a good way to guarantee a correct SMTP authentication is setting "Login to the SMTP server using a POP3 username/password" checkbox option. This has saved my bacon more than once specially when I change passwords.

Sorry if I&#039;m too late. Didn&#039;t get posted by e-mail. Anyway, a good way to guarantee a correct SMTP authentication is setting &quot;Login to the SMTP server using a POP3 username/password&quot; checkbox option. This has saved my bacon more than once specially when I change passwords.

-- Euler

As I suspected all along, but denied by my service provider, the problem was at their end, not mine. I followed the advice given by both of you, Although they had been adamant that the problem lay in the Pegasus software, after seeing the results of the session logs and other items they assigned me a different smtp address and port number, and my mail went through without a hitch.  There is now a new strange thing which I've never had before, which once again seems to be at their end. Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server! Very distracting when I am working on a spreadsheet or document, but I'm sure I'll sort this out with them.  Thanks for your kind help and advice.

As I suspected all along, but denied by my service provider, the problem was at their end, not mine. I followed the advice given by both of you, Although t&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;hey had been adamant that the problem lay in the Pegasus software,&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;after seeing the results of the session logs and other items they assigned me a different smtp address and port number, and my mail went through without a hitch.&amp;nbsp; There is now a new strange thing which I&#039;ve never had before, which once again seems to be at their end. Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server! Very distracting when I am working on a spreadsheet or document, but I&#039;m sure I&#039;ll sort this out with them.&amp;nbsp; Thanks for your kind help and advice.

[quote user="geoff in SA"]As I suspected all along, but denied by my service provider, the problem was at their end, not mine. I followed the advice given by both of you, Although they had been adamant that the problem lay in the Pegasus software, after seeing the results of the session logs and other items they assigned me a different smtp address and port number, and my mail went through without a hitch.  There is now a new strange thing which I've never had before, which once again seems to be at their end. Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server! Very distracting when I am working on a spreadsheet or document, but I'm sure I'll sort this out with them.  Thanks for your kind help and advice.[/quote]

Hmm,  maybe Pegasus is polling your server without downloading its contents. I use this setting myself to one of my accounts which contents are downloaded only manually. Is the message you mentioned the Telltale? I through the Telltale that I'm informed about mail on my three NMF (two of them added ones) as well those on IMAP. This setting can be toggled on and off in "Options > User interface > Reporting/logging > New mail reporting > Notify of new mail using a floating "Telltale" window".

Maybe you could publish screenshots of your Pmail Internet settings. It would help a lot to locate any culprit if any. Below one of mine.

Below POP3 details

Below SMTP details

I hope this helps.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;geoff in SA&quot;]As I suspected all along, but denied by my service provider, the problem was at their end, not mine. I followed the advice given by both of you, Although t&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;hey had been adamant that the problem lay in the Pegasus software,&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;after seeing the results of the session logs and other items they assigned me a different smtp address and port number, and my mail went through without a hitch.&amp;nbsp; There is now a new strange thing which I&#039;ve never had before, which once again seems to be at their end. Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server! Very distracting when I am working on a spreadsheet or document, but I&#039;m sure I&#039;ll sort this out with them.&amp;nbsp; Thanks for your kind help and advice.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Hmm,&amp;nbsp; maybe Pegasus is polling your server without downloading its contents. I use this setting myself to one of my accounts which contents are downloaded only manually. Is the message you mentioned the Telltale? I through the Telltale that I&#039;m informed about mail on my three NMF (two of them added ones) as well those on IMAP. This setting can be toggled on and off in &quot;Options &amp;gt; User interface &amp;gt; Reporting/logging &amp;gt; New mail reporting &amp;gt; Notify of new mail using a floating &quot;Telltale&quot; window&quot;.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Maybe you could publish screenshots of your Pmail Internet settings. It would help a lot to locate any culprit if any. Below one of mine.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/MMSZYkJ/2019-04-18-101325.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/MMSZYkJ/2019-04-18-101325.gif&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/MMSZYkJ/2019-04-18-101325.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/MMSZYkJ/2019-04-18-101325.gif&quot;&gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/BnLCN8g/2019-04-18-101446.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/BnLCN8g/2019-04-18-101446.gif&quot;&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/mNsdVFq/2019-04-18-101520.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/mNsdVFq/2019-04-18-101520.gif&quot;&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Below POP3 details &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/ZxgyDbf/2019-04-18-101703.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/ZxgyDbf/2019-04-18-101703.gif&quot;&gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/x841Dpt/2019-04-18-101836.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/x841Dpt/2019-04-18-101836.gif&quot;&gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/PjJNMSb/2019-04-18-101903.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/PjJNMSb/2019-04-18-101903.gif&quot;&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Below SMTP details &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/xmdsPD8/2019-04-18-102000.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/xmdsPD8/2019-04-18-102000.gif&quot;&gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;img mce_src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/HK1jRCw/2019-04-18-102033.gif&quot; src=&quot;https://i.ibb.co/HK1jRCw/2019-04-18-102033.gif&quot;&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I hope this helps. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

1. Regarding Telltale: The behavior is exactly as described for a Telltale - a smallpop-up  box and an alert sound-  but the Telltale box is not clicked and neither is the "alert sound" box. So why this is suddenly happening now is a mystery, and is disrupting even when I turn the sound level down..

2. Regarding sending email.  The problem recurred today. Although I was successfully sending email all weekend, and made no changes to my Internet Options, this morning I was again unable to send email. When I clicked on the send button, or on the send now button, nothing happened, and these actions were not reflected on either TCPlog or SYSLOG.PM. Again, my service provider is adamant that there is no problem at their end; I  continue to believe that the problem is indeed at their end, but wonder why there is no error message or log entry. If it doesn't come right soon I'll try sending screen shots of the settings.  

&lt;p&gt;1. Regarding Telltale: The behavior is exactly as described for a Telltale - a smallpop-up&amp;nbsp; box and an alert sound-&amp;nbsp; but the Telltale box is not clicked and neither is the &quot;alert sound&quot; box. So why this is suddenly happening now is a mystery, and is disrupting even when I turn the sound level down..&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2. Regarding sending email.&amp;nbsp; The problem recurred today. Although I was successfully sending email all weekend, and made no changes to my Internet Options, this morning I was again unable to send email. When I clicked on the send button, or on the send now button, nothing happened, and these actions were not reflected on either TCPlog or SYSLOG.PM. Again, my service provider is adamant that there is no problem at their end; I&amp;nbsp; continue to believe that the problem is indeed at their end, but wonder why there is no error message or log entry. If it doesn&#039;t come right soon I&#039;ll try sending screen shots of the settings.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

It sounds like a situation of different configuration settings in identities causing the change in behavior depending on identity.  Do you use multiple identities?

It sounds like a situation of different configuration settings in identities causing the change in behavior depending on identity.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;Do you use multiple identities?&lt;/span&gt;

No, I use only one identity.

Without any further intervention on my part, I was later able to send e-mails again. Either an intermittent software or hardware fault on my side (unlikely) or a problem with my service provider. 

I've not yet found a way to block the "Telltale" messages popping up. Shutting my system down and rebooting does not help, and the box for requesting Telltale is definitely not clicked. 

&lt;p&gt;No, I use only one identity.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Without any further intervention on my part, I was later able to send e-mails again. Either an intermittent software or hardware fault on my side (unlikely) or a problem with my service provider.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve not yet found a way to block the &quot;Telltale&quot; messages popping up. Shutting my system down and rebooting does not help, and the box for requesting Telltale is definitely not clicked.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

In an earlier post you said

"Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server!".

Pegasus Mail is only capable of checking for new messages in a hosted mailbox. There isn't a mechanism for it to detect when mail arrives at a hosted mailbox. 

There is a configurable option for a POP3 check for new mail without downloading but according to the Help file it just displays the message count in Pegasus Mail's status bar.

Similarly configurable in an IMAP profile is the option to "Periodically update the INBOX view".  Its Help file content doesn't indicate a notification mechanism. 

Have you seen the notification popup when Pegasus Mail wasn't running?

&lt;p&gt;In an earlier post you said &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&quot;&lt;span style=&quot;font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;&quot;&gt;Instead of waiting till I click the download button, I now get a message flashing on my screen every time a new email arrives at their server!&quot;.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Pegasus Mail is only capable of checking for new messages in a hosted mailbox. There isn&#039;t a mechanism for it to detect when mail arrives at a hosted mailbox.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There is a configurable option for a POP3 check for new mail without downloading but according to the Help file it just displays the message count in Pegasus Mail&#039;s status bar.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Similarly configurable in an IMAP profile is the option to &quot;Periodically update the INBOX view&quot;.&amp;nbsp; Its Help file content doesn&#039;t indicate a notification mechanism.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Have you seen the notification popup when Pegasus Mail wasn&#039;t running?&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="geoff in SA"]

No, I use only one identity.

Without any further intervention on my part, I was later able to send e-mails again. Either an intermittent software or hardware fault on my side (unlikely) or a problem with my service provider.

[/quote]

IMHO it is not Pmail's fault. Either a server-side problem or a client-side misconfiguration. Due to its intermittency I'm sticking to the prior.

[quote user="geoff in SA"]

I've not yet found a way to block the "Telltale" messages popping up. Shutting my system down and rebooting does not help, and the box for requesting Telltale is definitely not clicked.

[/quote]

Telltale is set/unset via Tools > Options... > User interface > Reporting/logging > New mail reporting. If you uncheck the first checkbox there'll be no Telltale. The other block options are less "intrusive" manners to alert you of new mail in your inbox. I use them all, including a soft sound announcing new mail arriving I borrowed from Sylpheed (I think).

Anyway, I don't dislike the telltale at all. Maybe you're finding its default placement improper. Click and hold teltale's title bar with your mouse and drag it to a more convenient position of your screen. Once there, click the "X" close button to save its window position and you're done.

[quote user=&quot;geoff in SA&quot;]&lt;p&gt;No, I use only one identity.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Without any further intervention on my part, I was later able to send e-mails again. Either an intermittent software or hardware fault on my side (unlikely) or a problem with my service provider. &lt;/p&gt;[/quote]&lt;p&gt;IMHO it is not Pmail&#039;s fault. Either a server-side problem or a client-side misconfiguration. Due to its intermittency I&#039;m sticking to the prior. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;geoff in SA&quot;]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve not yet found a way to block the &quot;Telltale&quot; messages popping up. Shutting my system down and rebooting does not help, and the box for requesting Telltale is definitely not clicked. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Telltale is set/unset via &lt;span style=&quot;background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);&quot;&gt;Tools &amp;gt; Options... &amp;gt; User interface &amp;gt; Reporting/logging &amp;gt; New mail reporting&lt;span style=&quot;background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);&quot;&gt;. If you uncheck the first checkbox there&#039;ll be no Telltale. The other block options are less &quot;intrusive&quot; manners to alert you of new mail in your inbox. I use them all, including a soft sound announcing new mail arriving I borrowed from Sylpheed (I think).&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Anyway, I don&#039;t dislike the telltale at all. Maybe you&#039;re finding its default placement improper. Click and hold teltale&#039;s title bar with your mouse and drag it to a more convenient position of your screen. Once there, click the &quot;X&quot; close button to save its window position and you&#039;re done. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Looking over previous threads I do not see anything that covers my current problem:  all outgoing mail brings an error dialog like this:

13:56:27.433: >> 220 smtp.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP ready
13:56:27.433: << EHLO [10.0.0.3]
13:56:27.464: >> 250-smtp427.mail.bf1.yahoo.com Hello [10.0.0.3] [71.164.72.231])
13:56:27.464: >> 250-PIPELINING
13:56:27.464: >> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
13:56:27.464: >> 250-8BITMIME
13:56:27.464: >> 250-SIZE 41697280
13:56:27.464: >> 250 AUTH PLAIN LOGIN XOAUTH2 OAUTHBEARER
13:56:27.480: << AUTH LOGIN
13:56:27.511: >> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
13:56:27.511: << XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
13:56:27.558: >> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
13:56:27.558: << XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
13:56:27.652: >> 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
13:56:27.652: << MAIL FROM:<XXXXXXXX@verizon.net> SIZE=488
13:56:28.090: >> 250 2.1.0 Sender <XXXXXXXX@verizon.net> OK
13:56:28.090: << RCPT TO:<XXXXXXXX@gmail.com>
13:56:28.136: >> 250 2.1.5 Recipient <XXXXXXXX@gmail.com> OK
13:56:28.136: << DATA
13:56:28.183: >> 354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
13:56:28.261: >> 550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable

For information, my ISP is Verizon/AOL; settings on smtp.verizon.net are: server TCP/IP port: 465, via direct SSL connect

Have been using Pegasus since the early 1990s; about two months ago upgraded this desktop machine from Windows XP to Windows 10 (that's a whole 'nuther story but I don't think it's relevant here?)

&lt;p&gt;Looking over previous threads I do not see anything that covers my current problem:&amp;nbsp; all outgoing mail brings an error dialog like this:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;13:56:27.433: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 220 smtp.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP ready 13:56:27.433: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; EHLO [10.0.0.3] 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250-smtp427.mail.bf1.yahoo.com Hello [10.0.0.3] [71.164.72.231]) 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250-PIPELINING 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250-8BITMIME 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250-SIZE 41697280 13:56:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250 AUTH PLAIN LOGIN XOAUTH2 OAUTHBEARER 13:56:27.480: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; AUTH LOGIN 13:56:27.511: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 13:56:27.511: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 13:56:27.558: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 13:56:27.558: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 13:56:27.652: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful 13:56:27.652: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;XXXXXXXX@verizon.net&amp;gt; SIZE=488 13:56:28.090: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250 2.1.0 Sender &amp;lt;XXXXXXXX@verizon.net&amp;gt; OK 13:56:28.090: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;XXXXXXXX@gmail.com&amp;gt; 13:56:28.136: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 250 2.1.5 Recipient &amp;lt;XXXXXXXX@gmail.com&amp;gt; OK 13:56:28.136: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; DATA 13:56:28.183: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 354 Ok Send data ending with &amp;lt;CRLF&amp;gt;.&amp;lt;CRLF&amp;gt; 13:56:28.261: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;For information, my ISP is Verizon/AOL; settings on smtp.verizon.net are: server TCP/IP port: 465, via direct SSL connect&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Have been using Pegasus since the early 1990s; about two months ago upgraded this desktop machine from Windows XP to Windows 10 (that&#039;s a whole &#039;nuther story but I don&#039;t think it&#039;s relevant here?) &lt;/p&gt;

Perhaps there has been no response to my post because the solution is too obvious?

I do not understand why I am unable to send outgoing email when the log shows that Verizon/AOL has logged me in with no problem.   Why does the last line say "550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable"?  Does that mean my outgoing mailbox is unavailable or the destination mailbox is unavailable?  Is this an problem within Verizon/AOL or is it my settings within Pegasus?

I am running Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build 639 on Windows 10.

&lt;p&gt;Perhaps there has been no response to my post because the solution is too obvious?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I do not understand why I am unable to send outgoing email when the log shows that Verizon/AOL has logged me in with no problem.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Why does the last line say &quot;550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable&quot;?&amp;nbsp; Does that mean my outgoing mailbox is unavailable or the destination mailbox is unavailable?&amp;nbsp; Is this an problem within Verizon/AOL or is it my settings within Pegasus?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am running Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build 639 on Windows 10. &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft