Community Discussions and Support
I thought Identities covered different domain email checks

Thanks Brian! Got them!

<p>Thanks Brian! Got them!</p><p> </p><p> </p>

It's been a lot of years since I did this, but I want to check different email addresses for a couple of different domains I have now. I THOUGHT that I could just use the Internet Options for each identity, to do this, but when I change one, it changes them all to that.

Am I doing something wrong? 

<p>It's been a lot of years since I did this, but I want to check different email addresses for a couple of different domains I have now. I THOUGHT that I could just use the Internet Options for each identity, to do this, but when I change one, it changes them all to that.</p><p> </p><p>Am I doing something wrong? </p>

Are you trying to retrieve mail from more than one account at a time or simply have each account assigned to an Identity? An identity is just a set of preferences like different signatures for the same account, send plain-text only messages, etc. For example, my Default account retrieves all messages from all my accounts, can send both plain-text and formatted e-mail, always send a BCC copy to another account, and more. If the message is to the PM-WIN list it also BCC a copy to a local noticeboard.

Are you trying to change an Internet setting that is shared by more than an identity? In this case you shall get a warning...

<p>Are you trying to retrieve mail from more than one account at a time or simply have each account assigned to an Identity? An identity is just a set of preferences like different signatures for the same account, send plain-text only messages, etc. For example, my Default account retrieves all messages from all my accounts, can send both plain-text and formatted e-mail, always send a BCC copy to another account, and more. If the message is to the PM-WIN list it also BCC a copy to a local noticeboard.</p><p>Are you trying to change an Internet setting that is shared by more than an identity? In this case you shall get a warning... </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]

Are you trying to retrieve mail from more than one account at a time or simply have each account assigned to an Identity? An identity is just a set of preferences like different signatures for the same account, send plain-text only messages, etc. For example, my Default account retrieves all messages from all my accounts, can send both plain-text and formatted e-mail, always send a BCC copy to another account, and more. If the message is to the PM-WIN list it also BCC a copy to a local noticeboard.

Are you trying to change an Internet setting that is shared by more than an identity? In this case you shall get a warning...

[/quote]

Thanks Euler, I'm interested in retrieving mail from 2-3 domains at the same time. 

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]<p>Are you trying to retrieve mail from more than one account at a time or simply have each account assigned to an Identity? An identity is just a set of preferences like different signatures for the same account, send plain-text only messages, etc. For example, my Default account retrieves all messages from all my accounts, can send both plain-text and formatted e-mail, always send a BCC copy to another account, and more. If the message is to the PM-WIN list it also BCC a copy to a local noticeboard.</p><p>Are you trying to change an Internet setting that is shared by more than an identity? In this case you shall get a warning... </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks Euler, I'm interested in retrieving mail from 2-3 domains at the same time. </span></p>

The settings in Internet Options are indeed identity specific.  Was it the warning Euler mentioned that made you think it affected them all?

Another question is whether you want to retrieve mail from 2-3 domains as a single identity or if you want each domain associated with its own identity.   

<p>The settings in Internet Options are indeed identity specific.  Was it the warning Euler mentioned that made you think it affected them all?</p><p>Another question is whether you want to retrieve mail from 2-3 domains as a single identity or if you want each domain associated with its own identity.   </p>

It dawns on me that you may be talking about POP and/SMTP host files not being identity specific.  That is true.  You need host files for each domain.  You then select the appropriate host files in each identity configuration.

It dawns on me that you may be talking about POP and/SMTP host files not being identity specific.  That is true.  You need host files for each domain.  You then select the appropriate host files in each identity configuration.

There's a post I did some time ago that may help you how to set a multi-account identity. It is on http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/50594.aspx and has several screenshots for both POP and SMTP settings.

Note that you may have more than one account, each one with its own settings, but you must build a "list of accounts" if you plan to poll them at once.

<p>There's a post I did some time ago that may help you how to set a multi-account identity. It is on <a mce_href="/forums/post/50594.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/post/50594.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/50594.aspx</a> and has several screenshots for both POP and SMTP settings.</p><p>Note that you may have more than one account, each one with its own settings, but you must build a "list of accounts" if you plan to poll them at once. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

The settings in Internet Options are indeed identity specific.  Was it the warning Euler mentioned that made you think it affected them all?[/quote]

Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but it looked like, when I changed the Internet Options for one, it was changing them for all of the identities.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"] 

Another question is whether you want to retrieve mail from 2-3 domains as a single identity or if you want each domain associated with its own identity.   

[/quote]

I don't mind retrieving them as the default, because they will all be to my same email folder and say who they were to, anyway. But I need to be able to retrieve all of them every time I check emails. 

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]<p>The settings in Internet Options are indeed identity specific.  Was it the warning Euler mentioned that made you think it affected them all?<span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">[/quote]</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but it looked like, when I changed the <span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Internet Options for one, it was changing them for all of the identities.</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">[quote user="Brian Fluet"]</span> </p><p>Another question is whether you want to retrieve mail from 2-3 domains as a single identity or if you want each domain associated with its own identity.   </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I don't mind retrieving them as the default, because they will all be to my same email folder and say who they were to, anyway. But I need to be able to retrieve all of them every time I check emails. </p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]It dawns on me that you may be talking about POP and/SMTP host files not being identity specific.  That is true.  You need host files for each domain.  You then select the appropriate host files in each identity configuration.[/quote]

No, I understand that part. It was just that when I set the retrieval for Default, it changed the Internet Settings for all identities. And if I don't get it right, it's a royal PAIN to switch things back.

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]It dawns on me that you may be talking about POP and/SMTP host files not being identity specific.  That is true.  You need host files for each domain.  You then select the appropriate host files in each identity configuration.[/quote]</p><p> <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> No, I understand that part. It was just that when I set the retrieval for Default, it changed the Internet Settings for all identities. And if I don't get it right, it's a royal PAIN to switch things back.</span></p>

I think I've got it sorted out now. I have 2 identities set up and working with separate domains. This all used to be done by one provider, but I moved one domain to another host now, so it needed to be separated like this.

But it's not checking both domains automatically, each time I hit ctrl-W. Is there a setting to do that?

Thanks guys! 

<p>I think I've got it sorted out now. I have 2 identities set up and working with separate domains. This all used to be done by one provider, but I moved one domain to another host now, so it needed to be separated like this.</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">But it's not checking both domains automatically, each time I hit ctrl-W. Is there a setting to do that?</span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks guys! </span></p>

[quote user="Melissa2011B"]But it's not checking both domains automatically, each time I hit ctrl-W. Is there a setting to do that?[/quote]

In the Receiving tab of Internet Options, down at the bottom, are the controls for multiple identity behavior.  To check mail for all identities regardless of which identity you are working as you what the options configured as follows:

"When checking for mail, perform checks for all identities" should be enabled in all identities

"Don't check this identity when checking multiple identities" should be disabled in all identities

<p>[quote user="Melissa2011B"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;">But it's not checking both domains automatically, each time I hit ctrl-W. Is there a setting to do that?</span>[/quote]</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">In the Receiving tab of Internet Options, down at the bottom, are the controls for multiple identity behavior.  To check mail for all identities regardless of which identity you are working as you what the options configured as follows:</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">"When checking for mail, perform checks for all identities" should be enabled in all identities</span></p><p>"Don't check this identity when checking multiple identities" should be disabled in all identities</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft