Community Discussions and Support
Pmail running slowly for deletes and moving messages

Hi Brian,

I found the "error"  - I edited my previous message! It WAS the antivirus program!

Truly yours,

Torsten

<p>Hi Brian,</p><p> </p><p>I found the "error"  - I edited my previous message! It WAS the antivirus program!</p><p> </p><p>Truly yours,</p><p>Torsten </p>

I am using Pegasus WinPMail version: Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639.

My OS is Windows 10 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4497934))

I have used Pmail for many years. The size of all my mail folders totals  9.55 GB (10,257,581,275 bytes).

When I try to delete some mail from a folder, it takes about 1 second per mail. When it finishes and I try to access the folder I deleted mail from, I get the Reindex Required message. When I Reindex and open the folder, I find all the deleted messages have been restored.

Any suggestions?

PaulF 

<p>I am using Pegasus WinPMail version: Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639. </p><p>My OS is Windows 10 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4497934))</p><p>I have used Pmail for many years. The size of all my mail folders totals  9.55 GB (10,257,581,275 bytes).</p><p>When I try to delete some mail from a folder, it takes about 1 second per mail. When it finishes and I try to access the folder I deleted mail from, I get the Reindex Required message. When I Reindex and open the folder, I find all the deleted messages have been restored.</p><p> A<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ny suggestions?</span></p><p> </p><p>PaulF </p>

First, make sure the folder file size is not bumping the 2GB size limit.  To find the folder filename right click on the folder name and select folder information.  

If under 2GB, try deleting some messages and then right click on the folder name and select "Recover deleted space".  Now reindex and see if all is well.

If still no joy then the file itself has become corrupted.  To resolve, create a new folder in Pegasus Mail and copy all of the messages from the bad folder to the new one.  Confirm successful copy and then delete the bad folder.  You can rename the new one to the original folder name if you wish.  If you have any filters that referenced the old folder you must edit them to point to the new folder even if you renamed it the same as the old one.

<p>First, make sure the folder file size is not bumping the 2GB size limit.  To find the folder filename right click on the folder name and select folder information.<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>If under 2GB, try deleting some messages and then right click on the folder name and select "Recover deleted space".  Now reindex and see if all is well.</p><p>If still no joy then the file itself has become corrupted.  To resolve, create a new folder in Pegasus Mail and copy all of the messages from the bad folder to the new one.  Confirm successful copy and then delete the bad folder.  You can rename the new one to the original folder name if you wish.  If you have any filters that referenced the old folder you must edit them to point to the new folder even if you renamed it the same as the old one.</p>

I suggest you look at the sizes of your messages as well as the number of messages in a folder. There are definite limits on both of these numbers.  The one I think maybe the cause is when you delete one or more messages with large attachments. When the size of the deleted messages exceeds a limit, Pegasus Mail will automatically  do a compress or re-index. to regain the emptied space within the folder. 

See Pegasus Mail menu Tools/General settings/Advanced settings and see the "Compact Folders once....."  settings. Try setting it to zero, and restart Pegasus Mail 

Use a utility like PmailUndup to show sizes of the folders and number of messages. Also list the folder, and sort by size (descending)  to see which messages are likely causing problems. 

Worst case rebuild the folder selectively by copying messages to a new folder in ascending size order, or use Notsplit utility to extract all the messages back to individual messages and delete attachments before moving messages back to a new folder. N.B don't use the Move operation to do the message copying as it will try to delete the message in the original folder, and hence try to re-index.

HTH

Martin 

<p>I suggest you look at the sizes of your messages as well as the number of messages in a folder. There are definite limits on both of these numbers.  The one I think maybe the cause is when you delete one or more messages with large attachments. When the size of the deleted messages exceeds a limit, Pegasus Mail will automatically  do a compress or re-index. to regain the emptied space within the folder. </p><p>See Pegasus Mail menu Tools/General settings/Advanced settings and see the "Compact Folders once....."  settings. Try setting it to zero, and restart Pegasus Mail </p><p>Use a utility like PmailUndup to show sizes of the folders and number of messages. Also list the folder, and sort by size (descending)  to see which messages are likely causing problems. </p><p>Worst case rebuild the folder selectively by copying messages to a new folder in ascending size order, or use Notsplit utility to extract all the messages back to individual messages and delete attachments before moving messages back to a new folder. N.B don't use the Move operation to do the message copying as it will try to delete the message in the original folder, and hence try to re-index.</p><p>HTH</p><p>Martin </p>

Thank you!  Instead of moving mail messages, I was able to selectively copy the mail messages I wanted to a new folder then delete the old folder. 

PaulF 

<p>Thank you!  Instead of moving mail messages, I was able to selectively copy the mail messages I wanted to a new folder then delete the old folder. </p><p> </p><p>PaulF </p>

PaulF,

Did the new folder resolve the issue of slow deletes and moves?

<p>PaulF,</p><p>Did the new folder resolve the issue of slow deletes and moves?</p>

I'm wondering if this problem could be related to the recent Microsoft Windows system patch. It is well known that the 2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 (KB4499406) had some issues with some A/V products (Sophos, McAfee, and others). I use Kaspersky and my laptop found itself extremely slow after this update.

It got so slow the second update package didn't download. 2019-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4499164)

I revert the update but it did not help. What work here was uninstalling .NET 4.7.2 (I used Soft Organizer for a complete uninstall) and then I made a fresh installation of .Net 4.7.2 necessary for Kaspersky A/V and other software. After that my laptop revert to its previous functionality. I'm waiting for a Microsoft solution for these two patches. A new solution provided a few days back did not work out.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/14/microsoft-windows-security-updates-may-2019-overview

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/20/may-2019-updates-for-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-dont-play-nice-with-mcafee-or-sophos-software-again

<p>I'm wondering if this problem could be related to the recent Microsoft Windows system patch. It is well known that the 2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 (KB4499406) had some issues with some A/V products (Sophos, McAfee, and others). I use Kaspersky and my laptop found itself extremely slow after this update. </p><p> It got so slow the second update package didn't download. 2019-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4499164) I revert the update but it did not help. What work here was uninstalling .NET 4.7.2 (I used Soft Organizer for a complete uninstall) and then I made a fresh installation of .Net 4.7.2 necessary for Kaspersky A/V and other software. After that my laptop revert to its previous functionality. I'm waiting for a Microsoft solution for these two patches. A new solution provided a few days back did not work out.</p><p>https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/14/microsoft-windows-security-updates-may-2019-overview</p><p>https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/20/may-2019-updates-for-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-dont-play-nice-with-mcafee-or-sophos-software-again </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

I guess it has something to do with Windows updates. Microsoft is changing a lot. Last year I had to find a solution for some older labtop computers - they worked fine with older Win10 versions, but then the spring update did not work. It got installed, I got a blue screen during reboot, it was automatically de-installed, and then the computer automatically tried to install it again - an endless loop. Finally I found out, that if I put a PCMCIA card (any will do!) into the slot, the new version works just fine. In the moment I remove the PCMCIA card again, voila, crash!

Now I encountered the problem that Pmail is very slowly moving, copying and deleting messages. I use Pmail only every few month when my IMAP folder is full to download all mails and delete them on the server. In the meantime I just access them on my android phone with K-9 mail. I am using Pmail for many many years (starting last century, because my University used it), and the folder just moved on from computer to computer. Rarely I encountered a problem. But now: I have about 2000 new mails in the "New mail" folder. I wanted to move them to another folder "2019", but it is so slow, I guess 1 to 10 seconds per mail (I just "crashed" Pmail when I shut down the computer). This week, the computer installed the latest feature update of Win 10. Maybe this caused the trouble?

Anybody else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Edit: I have found the reason for the problem! In the earlier post, I forgot that I exchanged the antivirus program! Before, I have used Avira Antivirus (freeware). But last week I read an article, that the antivirus included in Windows 10 is as good as or even better then all the other antivirus programs. So I de-installed the antivirus program and used the Windows program. In the task manager I noticed, that every time I deleted/moved an email from one folder to another, "Antimalware Service Executable - Windows Defender Antivirus Service" use of CPU ressources went up very much. So, I installed the AVIRA AV program again (then the Win 10 program automatically gets switched off), and - moving 1000 messages from one folder to another just took a few seconds.

So, the Windows program checks each email again, and that slows down Pmail so much that you cannot work with it anymore!

:-) Torsten

<p>I guess it has something to do with Windows updates. Microsoft is changing a lot. Last year I had to find a solution for some older labtop computers - they worked fine with older Win10 versions, but then the spring update did not work. It got installed, I got a blue screen during reboot, it was automatically de-installed, and then the computer automatically tried to install it again - an endless loop. Finally I found out, that if I put a PCMCIA card (any will do!) into the slot, the new version works just fine. In the moment I remove the PCMCIA card again, voila, crash!</p><p>Now I encountered the problem that Pmail is very slowly moving, copying and deleting messages. I use Pmail only every few month when my IMAP folder is full to download all mails and delete them on the server. In the meantime I just access them on my android phone with K-9 mail. I am using Pmail for many many years (starting last century, because my University used it), and the folder just moved on from computer to computer. Rarely I encountered a problem. But now: I have about 2000 new mails in the "New mail" folder. I wanted to move them to another folder "2019", but it is so slow, I guess 1 to 10 seconds per mail (I just "crashed" Pmail when I shut down the computer). This week, the computer installed the latest feature update of Win 10. Maybe this caused the trouble? </p><p> Anybody else encountered this problem and found a solution?</p><p> </p><p>Edit: I have found the reason for the problem! In the earlier post, I forgot that I exchanged the antivirus program! Before, I have used Avira Antivirus (freeware). But last week I read an article, that the antivirus included in Windows 10 is as good as or even better then all the other antivirus programs. So I de-installed the antivirus program and used the Windows program. In the task manager I noticed, that every time I deleted/moved an email from one folder to another, "Antimalware Service Executable - Windows Defender Antivirus Service" use of CPU ressources went up very much. So, I installed the AVIRA AV program again (then the Win 10 program automatically gets switched off), and - moving 1000 messages from one folder to another just took a few seconds. </p><p> So, the Windows program checks each email again, and that slows down Pmail so much that you cannot work with it anymore!</p><p> </p><p>:-) Torsten </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

A few known things to check when troubleshooting slowness:

• Your home mailbox directory should be excluded from active scanning by your AV product
  • In the Pegasus Mail menu Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced settings the "Load Windows Internet Services" option should be set to "Always"
  • Make sure you have a default printer in place and that it is accessible by the OS.  Pegasus Mail attempts to poll the default printer driver for font information.  If one is not installed it will cause delays.  Some printer drivers poll the printer itself so a printer that is turned off or not available (network printer not accessible) can cause Pmail to act like the printer doesn't exist.
BTW, I updated my home Win10 1809 last night.  I'll post back if I experience any anomalies when running Pmail tonight.
<p>A few known things to check when troubleshooting slowness:</p><ul><li>Your home mailbox directory should be excluded from active scanning by your AV product</li><li>In the Pegasus Mail menu Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced settings the "Load Windows Internet Services" option should be set to "Always"</li><li>Make sure you have a default printer in place and that it is accessible by the OS.  Pegasus Mail attempts to poll the default printer driver for font information.  If one is not installed it will cause delays.  Some printer drivers poll the printer itself so a printer that is turned off or not available (network printer not accessible) can cause Pmail to act like the printer doesn't exist.</li></ul><div>BTW, I updated my home Win10 1809 last night.  I'll post back if I experience any anomalies when running Pmail tonight. </div>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft