Community Discussions and Support
IERenderer quirk

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I changed path to %AppData% and it worked flawlessly but all references to graphics were now written in 8.3 notation, at least for those messages sent to Firefox.[/quote]

Yes, IER uses 8.3 paths for avoiding issues with the Windows MAX_PATH length which is 260 characters unless using UNC paths (which might create other issues). BTW: Some "legacy" parts of Pegasus Mail are limited to even shorter paths than this, IIRC affecting attachments, e.g.

<p>[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I changed path to %AppData% and it worked flawlessly but all references to graphics were now written in 8.3 notation, at least for those messages sent to Firefox.[/quote]</p><p>Yes, IER uses 8.3 paths for avoiding issues with the Windows MAX_PATH length which is 260 characters unless using UNC paths (which might create other issues). BTW: Some "legacy" parts of Pegasus Mail are limited to even shorter paths than this, IIRC affecting attachments, e.g. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

(From the PM-WIN discussion list)

Folks,

I recently activate IERenderer because of "phantom links" in some messages I get. Martin Ireland is already informed and is working in this CSS3 "problem", and shall come with a solution very soon.

Anyway, as BearHTML had troubles showing the links I turned IERenderer ON to render those messages. Though it did render the links properly it failed to show two PNG graphics of the message. Opening the message on IE also didn't work, so I realize it could be on message code post-IERenderer processing.

Looking into it I found that graphics were referenced as this:

C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\German\Application%20Data\Pegasus%20Mail\ImageCache\german\130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A

The image was properly shown when the above file was opened using IrfanView, only it warned me that it was a PNG and asked me if I want to have it renamed to 130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A.PNG which I declined.

Looking IERenderer settings I saw this path is the default path for cached graphics. By that time I already have checked every IE setting after some wrong configuration but it was all there. On other sites IE has no problem rendering graphics, only on IERenderer messages, and only graphics (e.g. PNGs, JPGs, etc.) CSS (including CSS3) seemed OK.

So I thought the path to the cache directory could be too long or those spaces (%20) could over-complicate, so I changed it to a C:\Temp directory, and bingo! The problematic message rendered out perfectly!

I don't know if any of you had (or still have) this sort of problem, but I thought my findings could help you get a better HTML rendered message (using IERenderer). Maybe it is not that ugly as it looks. [:D]

<p><i>(From the PM-WIN discussion list)</i></p><p>Folks, I recently activate IERenderer because of "phantom links" in some messages I get. Martin Ireland is already informed and is working in this CSS3 "problem", and shall come with a solution very soon. Anyway, as BearHTML had troubles showing the links I turned IERenderer ON to render those messages. Though it did render the links properly it failed to show two PNG graphics of the message. Opening the message on IE also didn't work, so I realize it could be on message code post-IERenderer processing. Looking into it I found that graphics were referenced as this: <b><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\German\Application%20Data\Pegasus%20Mail\ImageCache\german\130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A</span></b> The image was properly shown when the above file was opened using IrfanView, only it warned me that it was a PNG and asked me if I want to have it renamed to 130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A.PNG which I declined. Looking IERenderer settings I saw this path is the default path for cached graphics. By that time I already have checked every IE setting after some wrong configuration but it was all there. On other sites IE has no problem rendering graphics, only on IERenderer messages, and only graphics (e.g. PNGs, JPGs, etc.) CSS (including CSS3) seemed OK. So I thought the path to the cache directory could be too long or those spaces (%20) could over-complicate, so I changed it to a C:\Temp directory, and bingo! The problematic message rendered out perfectly! I don't know if any of you had (or still have) this sort of problem, but I thought my findings could help you get a better HTML rendered message (using IERenderer). Maybe it is not that ugly as it looks. [:D] </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\German\Application%20Data\Pegasus%20Mail\ImageCache\german\130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A[/quote]

Euler, I have one question about your system and this path: I'm wondering whether this is on a Windows 7 machine since this is not the intended default path. The default path on Window 7 should be someting like C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming, where [UserName] in your case most probably would be German, I assume. So why did it happen in the first place that you had such a long one, to me it looks like an older system path like on XP or so? (IER automatically appends \Pegasus Mail\ImageCache\[PM UserName]\ to the default path, the final part is the hashed file name.)

<p>[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]<b><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\German\Application%20Data\Pegasus%20Mail\ImageCache\german\130CD70DB1EC38B761D2F632EEA3AC0A</span></b>[/quote]</p> <p>Euler, I have one question about your system and this path: I'm wondering whether this is on a Windows 7 machine since this is not the intended default path. The default path on Window 7 should be someting like <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming</span>, where <i>[UserName]</i> in your case most probably would be <i>German</i>, I assume. So why did it happen in the first place that you had such a long one, to me it looks like an older system path like on XP or so? (IER automatically appends <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">\Pegasus Mail\ImageCache\[PM UserName]\</span> to the default path, the final part is the hashed file name.) </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Michael, thanks for answering.

You're right, my running Pmail came from a deceased Toshiba laptop that used Windows XP Pro, while today's laptop runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and so is a fairly good hunch it came from that installation. I still have a Windows XP machine but is a localized version and so the path to %AppData% is quite different from that related.

I've being using BearHTML for a long time mainly because I have plans to make the Linux move in a near future. The IERenderer swap was just because BearHTML was having problems rendering a particular message IERenderer did not. What caught my attention was it was missing graphics for no "apparent" reason. Later I found that IERenderer had "broken" links, all them looking legit to me.

I did found that path rather uncommon, but Windows 7 is so prodigal in paths and shortcuts-to-paths meaning the same thing I got mystified. I'm glad you shed lights on this puzzle.

Anyway, as already said above, its working fine. Following Brian Fluet's and Shades hints, I changed path to %AppData% and it worked flawlessly but all references to graphics were now written in 8.3 notation, at least for those messages sent to Firefox.

Thanks again, very much appreciated your help.

<p>Michael, thanks for answering.</p><p>You're right, my running Pmail came from a deceased Toshiba laptop that used Windows XP Pro, while today's laptop runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and so is a fairly good hunch it came from that installation. I still have a Windows XP machine but is a localized version and so the path to %AppData% is quite different from that related. </p><p>I've being using BearHTML for a long time mainly because I have plans to make the Linux move in a near future. The IERenderer swap was just because BearHTML was having problems rendering a particular message IERenderer did not. What caught my attention was it was missing graphics for no "apparent" reason. Later I found that IERenderer had "broken" links, all them looking legit to me. </p><p>I did found that path rather uncommon, but Windows 7 is so prodigal in paths and shortcuts-to-paths meaning the same thing I got mystified. I'm glad you shed lights on this puzzle.</p><p>Anyway, as already said above, its working fine. Following Brian Fluet's and Shades hints, I changed path to %AppData% and it worked flawlessly but all references to graphics were now written in 8.3 notation, at least for those messages sent to Firefox.</p><p>Thanks again, very much appreciated your help. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft