Community Discussions and Support
pmail cache folders - reclaim?

Thanks Brian -

I'm trying to get access to the original server again, so that i can mount the imap directory and then move the files properly.  Thank you for your quick response.   

<p>Thanks Brian -</p><p>I'm trying to get access to the original server again, so that i can mount the imap directory and then move the files properly.  Thank you for your quick response.   </p>

I have a client with a WinPmail client.  With an IMAP account they were connected to a remote office and server.  The remote office closed its doors and shipped the pmail folder. 

I created a pegasus user with the same name locally, and then copied the data that was copied from the servers pmail directory.  

I can see the few pieces of email that were at the root of the users box from the week the folder was shut down.  However there are no subfolders (where the user used to have hundreds)  In this pmail folder is a imc-3e8 folder (cache folder)

Files used for IMAP cache

Filename or extensionVersion informationInformation
IMC*WinPMail v4.21+For each IMAP directory a cache directory is created. The long hexadecimal file names are somehow uniquely derived from and identify a specific IMAP mail folder.
*.PHCWinPMail v4.21+Pegasus Mail header cache file. This file holds the headers for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.
*.PFCWinPMail v4.21+Pegasus Mail message cache file. This file holds the message data for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.
*.PMCWinPMail v4.21+Pegasus mail folder Cache file. This file holds the folder data for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.

and in there is 2 Gb worth of email data in PHC and PMC files. 

Is there anyway to see this data as folders once again?  Can this cache be rebuilt so that we can access the data?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I feel I've hit a wall and have been trying to solve this for weeks.  Thank you! 

<p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I have a client with a WinPmail client.  With an IMAP account they were connected to a remote office and server.  The remote office closed its doors and shipped the pmail folder. </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I created a pegasus user with the same name locally, and then copied the data that was copied from the servers pmail directory.  </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I can see the few pieces of email that were at the root of the users box from the week the folder was shut down.  However there are no subfolders (where the user used to have hundreds)  In this pmail folder is a imc-3e8 folder (cache folder)</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><h2 style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica;">Files used for IMAP cache</h2><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 13.3333px;"></p><table bgcolor="#FFFF80" align="center" style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"><tbody><tr><td><b>Filename or extension</b></td><td><b>Version information</b></td><td><b>Information</b></td></tr><tr><td>IMC*</td><td><i>WinPMail v4.21+</i></td><td>For each IMAP directory a cache directory is created. The long hexadecimal file names are somehow uniquely derived from and identify a specific IMAP mail folder.</td></tr><tr><td>*.PHC</td><td><i>WinPMail v4.21+</i></td><td>Pegasus Mail header cache file. This file holds the headers for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.</td></tr><tr><td>*.PFC</td><td><i>WinPMail v4.21+</i></td><td>Pegasus Mail message cache file. This file holds the message data for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.</td></tr><tr><td>*.PMC</td><td><i>WinPMail v4.21+</i></td><td>Pegasus mail folder Cache file. This file holds the folder data for an imap folder. Those files are inside an IMC* sub-directory.</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">and in there is 2 Gb worth of email data in PHC and PMC files. </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Is there anyway to see this data as folders once again?  Can this cache be rebuilt so that we can access the data?</span></p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I feel I've hit a wall and have been trying to solve this for weeks.  Thank you! </p>

I noticed the lack of response to this inquiry and Rolf's response to the similar inquiry on the Mercury forum.  I don't do IMAP so I don't have an answer but it seems to me that the cache files aren't necessary for an IMAP connection to see the folders and messages considering they are the result of a connection.

I would try moving the cache files out of the directory and then attempting a connection assuming the directory contains .PMM & .PMI file pairs, .CNM files if any, and a HIERARCH.PM file.  If only the cache files exist then I fear the messages are lost.
<p>I noticed the lack of response to this inquiry and Rolf's response to the similar inquiry on the Mercury forum.  I don't do IMAP so I don't have an answer but it seems to me that the cache files aren't necessary for an IMAP connection to see the folders and messages considering they are the result of a connection.</p>I would try moving the cache files out of the directory and then attempting a connection assuming the directory contains .PMM & .PMI file pairs, .CNM files if any, and a HIERARCH.PM file.  If only the cache files exist then I fear the messages are lost.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft