Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus is stuck

After using Pegasus every day for 20 years I have done 2 things on my Window 10 PC which results in Pegasus freezing when I try to do a basic command such as MOVE an email from one folder to another.

The two things I did were

1. Using ccleaner to update the drivers
  2. Clean up the registry

I suspect (2) is the cause as it probably deleted items that Pegasus uses ?

(I am using Pegasus 4.71.565)

After using Pegasus every day for 20 years I have done 2 things on my Window 10 PC which results in Pegasus freezing when I try to do a basic command such as MOVE an email from one folder to another. The two things I did were 1. Using ccleaner to update the drivers 2. Clean up the registry I suspect (2) is the cause as it probably deleted items that Pegasus uses ? (I am using Pegasus 4.71.565)

A bit more information.

It is the Copy and Move message that is the problem.

When I click either one Pegasus freezes, I cannot click on anything else, I cannot even move the Pegasus window or close it down.

I have to go into Task Manager and End task to close the program.

A bit more information. It is the Copy and Move message that is the problem. When I click either one Pegasus freezes, I cannot click on anything else, I cannot even move the Pegasus window or close it down. I have to go into Task Manager and End task to close the program.

Pegasus Mail is not dependent on registry entries for functions like Copy and Move so I don't think any cleanup done by cccleaner is to blame but it wouldn't hurt to run the Pegasus Mail installer as an update. You can run the v4.71 installer if you want but I don't know of a compelling to stay with that version.

Regarding the current state of Pegasus Mail...

• Is it receiving new mail?
  • Does the folder list appear correct and can folders be opened and closed normally?
  • Has the PC been cold booted since you noticed the problem?
  • Would your backup status allow you to restore Pegasus Mail to a time prior to the problem?

Pegasus Mail is not dependent on registry entries for functions like Copy and Move so I don't think any cleanup done by cccleaner is to blame but it wouldn't hurt to run the Pegasus Mail installer as an update. You can run the v4.71 installer if you want but I don't know of a compelling to stay with that version. Regarding the current state of Pegasus Mail... - Is it receiving new mail? - Does the folder list appear correct and can folders be opened and closed normally? - Has the PC been cold booted since you noticed the problem? - Would your backup status allow you to restore Pegasus Mail to a time prior to the problem?

Brian,

Thank you for your reply

Before that I tried an upgrade to 4.73.639 but the problem remains.

In answer to your questions

1 and 2) Everything else is working perfectly

3) I've rebooted several times since.

4) I tried a system restore to the previous day but after taking over 2 hours it said it could not restore due to a problem with a (missing ?) file

I also tried to revert to the original registry (ccleaner gave me the option to a save a backup) but when I tried to import it said it had not been fully backed up.

Brian, Thank you for your reply Before that I tried an upgrade to 4.73.639 but the problem remains. In answer to your questions 1 and 2) Everything else is working perfectly 3) I've rebooted several times since. 4) I tried a system restore to the previous day but after taking over 2 hours it said it could not restore due to a problem with a (missing ?) file I also tried to revert to the original registry (ccleaner gave me the option to a save a backup) but when I tried to import it said it had not been fully backed up.

If only Copy and Move are affected consider this:

When unable to copy or move messages the "Select a mail folder" window may be opening offscreen. To fix this you need to edit the STATE.PMJ file which resides in your home mailbox directory. If you don't know where that is go to Pegasus Mail's main pull-down menu and select Help > About Pegasus Mail then press the Info button. You will find the path to the home mailbox location in the configuration information that is displayed.

With Pegasus Mail closed, open STATE.PMJ file in a text editor like Notepad and locate the entry for "Select a mail folder=". The value will be four number separated by commas. These numbers represent the window location on the screen. Change them to something like 48,148,420,527 then save the file. Open Pegasus Mail and test. Reposition and resize the now visible "Select a mail folder" window to your liking.

If only Copy and Move are affected consider this: When unable to copy or move messages the "Select a mail folder" window may be opening offscreen. To fix this you need to edit the STATE.PMJ file which resides in your home mailbox directory. If you don't know where that is go to Pegasus Mail's main pull-down menu and select Help > About Pegasus Mail then press the Info button. You will find the path to the home mailbox location in the configuration information that is displayed. With Pegasus Mail closed, open STATE.PMJ file in a text editor like Notepad and locate the entry for "Select a mail folder=". The value will be four number separated by commas. These numbers represent the window location on the screen. Change them to something like 48,148,420,527 then save the file. Open Pegasus Mail and test. Reposition and resize the now visible "Select a mail folder" window to your liking.

To completely rule out the STATE.PMJ file I would rename it to STATE_PMJ.SAVED and then start Pegusus Mail and test (a new STATE.PMJ file will be created). If no joy then shut down Pegasus Mail and restore the saved copy.

I am out of ideas beyond this.

To completely rule out the STATE.PMJ file I would rename it to STATE_PMJ.SAVED and then start Pegusus Mail and test (a new STATE.PMJ file will be created). If no joy then shut down Pegasus Mail and restore the saved copy. I am out of ideas beyond this.

It just occurred to me that, AFAIK, the copyself process uses the same 'Select a mail folder' window. If that is working then I think a problem with that window is ruled out.

It just occurred to me that, AFAIK, the copyself process uses the same 'Select a mail folder' window. If that is working then I think a problem with that window is ruled out.

Brian.

Genius - it worked !

But I nearly said it did not work and here's why.

Before upgrading to a new level of Pegasus I made a copy of PMAIL to PMAILX and updated the PMAILX version.

Pegasus now runs using C:\PMAILX\winpm-32.exe

So I was changing /MAIL/ in the PMAILX folder

But Pegasus still runs using the data in PMAIL

Brian. Genius - it worked ! But I nearly said it did not work and here's why. Before upgrading to a new level of Pegasus I made a copy of PMAIL to PMAILX and updated the PMAILX version. Pegasus now runs using C:\PMAILX\winpm-32.exe So I was changing /MAIL/ in the PMAILX folder But Pegasus still runs using the data in PMAIL

Just to add, I did not see your AFAIK message before posting my reply. It was the creation of a new STATE.PMJ file which worked.

Just to add, I did not see your AFAIK message before posting my reply. It was the creation of a new STATE.PMJ file which worked.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft