Community Discussions and Support
FIND TEXT does not show any results

Some time ago, maybe due to some windows upgrade, the FIND text option stopped working.

Today, after installing 4.80, I tried again, just to check of something had changed.

The problem still persists, it shows no results, even when searching inside a single folder.

I suppouse this must be caused by some windows library change but cannot find which one.

Thanks in advance.

Miguel Ganan

Some time ago, maybe due to some windows upgrade, the FIND text option stopped working. Today, after installing 4.80, I tried again, just to check of something had changed. The problem still persists, it shows no results, even when searching inside a single folder. I suppouse this must be caused by some windows library change but cannot find which one. Thanks in advance. Miguel Ganan

I have not heard of the search function not working and do not know whether it is internal to Pegasus Mail or uses a Windows library. Does Windows search work in other apps?

I assume that you have tried the simplest search possible to confirm that the problem is in the search function and not the search parameter but in case you haven't I suggest doing the following search:

• open a folder and make sure it has focus
  • Do Ctrl+F to open the search window
  • In the "Text to search for.." field enter a single word that you see in a message Subject field
  • Tick the "Multiple terms" option
  • Tick the "Search in headers only" option
  • Optionally tick the "Delete search results on exit" option (your preference)
  • in the "Folder(s) to search" field select "Search the current folder only"
  • In the "Message age constraints" field select "No age or date constraints"
  • Leave all other options unticked.

I have not heard of the search function not working and do not know whether it is internal to Pegasus Mail or uses a Windows library. Does Windows search work in other apps? I assume that you have tried the simplest search possible to confirm that the problem is in the search function and not the search parameter but in case you haven't I suggest doing the following search: - open a folder and make sure it has focus - Do Ctrl+F to open the search window - In the "Text to search for.." field enter a single word that you see in a message Subject field - Tick the "Multiple terms" option - Tick the "Search in headers only" option - Optionally tick the "Delete search results on exit" option (your preference) - in the "Folder(s) to search" field select "Search the current folder only" - In the "Message age constraints" field select "No age or date constraints" - Leave all other options unticked.

Thanks, Brian,

Other applications, such as Microsoft Office, work perfectly.

I did the search you suggested and the result is the same. I tried different combinations ...

I remember that when it worked, Pmail created a "search results" folder. Now, nothing at all.

I even tried searching "All folders" option with same results. I can see it searches all folders but no results.

Thanks for your help.

Miguel

Thanks, Brian, Other applications, such as Microsoft Office, work perfectly. I did the search you suggested and the result is the same. I tried different combinations ... I remember that when it worked, Pmail created a "search results" folder. Now, nothing at all. I even tried searching "All folders" option with same results. I can see it searches all folders but no results. Thanks for your help. Miguel
  • --
    I remember that when it worked, Pmail created a "search results" folder. Now, nothing at all.

Yes, a search should create a "Recent search results" folder with search results in subfolders, one for each search. That folder sorts near the of the Folder list. It should also open a folder window displaying the results (empty if no hits). I have experienced rare instances where that window didn't open. No explanation as to why. The search results folder was created.

There have also been reports of search results folders being scattered in the Folder list instead of as subfolders to "Recent search results". When this occurs it is assumed that there is corruption of the HIERARCH.PM file and this is what I am wondering about. Perhaps a problem with HIERARCH.PM is preventing the creation of search results folders. Rebuilding HIERARCH.PM would be worth a try, BUT, if you use Trays (nested folders) then save this as a last resort because you will lose that tray structure.

An alternative to a rebuild of HIERARCH.PM is to make an attempt to clean it up. To do this:

• Close Pegasus Mail.
  • Make a safety copy of HIERARCH.PM (it is in your mailbox directory).
  • Open HIERARCH.PM with a text editor.
  • Go through it line by line deleting any line that contains either
    • "Recent search results"
    • "Name_unavailable"
  • Save then close it.
  • Start Pegasus Mail and check the folder structure to make sure it looks ok. If it doesn't, something went wrong during the editing so close Pegasus Mail and restore the safety copy.
  • If the folder structure looks fine, test the search function.

- -- [quote="pid:53588, uid:2851"]I remember that when it worked, Pmail created a "search results" folder. Now, nothing at all.[/quote] Yes, a search should create a "Recent search results" folder with search results in subfolders, one for each search. That folder sorts near the of the Folder list. It should also open a folder window displaying the results (empty if no hits). I have experienced rare instances where that window didn't open. No explanation as to why. The search results folder was created. There have also been reports of search results folders being scattered in the Folder list instead of as subfolders to "Recent search results". When this occurs it is assumed that there is corruption of the HIERARCH.PM file and this is what I am wondering about. Perhaps a problem with HIERARCH.PM is preventing the creation of search results folders. Rebuilding HIERARCH.PM would be worth a try, BUT, if you use Trays (nested folders) then save this as a last resort because you will lose that tray structure. An alternative to a rebuild of HIERARCH.PM is to make an attempt to clean it up. To do this: - Close Pegasus Mail. - Make a safety copy of HIERARCH.PM (it is in your mailbox directory). - Open HIERARCH.PM with a text editor. - Go through it line by line deleting any line that contains either - "Recent search results" - "Name_unavailable" - Save then close it. - Start Pegasus Mail and check the folder structure to make sure it looks ok. If it doesn't, something went wrong during the editing so close Pegasus Mail and restore the safety copy. - If the folder structure looks fine, test the search function.

Good news, Brian,

That did it !!!

I opted for the second option. Created a backup of Hierarchy.pm, edited it with Notepad and there I found a lot of lines, mainly with "Name_unavailable" but also a few with "Recent search results".

I deleted all of those lines, entered Pmail again and "Problem solved".

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,

Miguel

Good news, Brian, That did it !!! I opted for the second option. Created a backup of Hierarchy.pm, edited it with Notepad and there I found a lot of lines, mainly with "Name_unavailable" but also a few with "Recent search results". I deleted all of those lines, entered Pmail again and "Problem solved". Thanks so much for your help. Best regards, Miguel
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft