Community Discussions and Support
Moving v4.73 to v4.80 on new computer

My hard drive crashed and I have recovered the data to a new drive but I am moving it to a new computer. I had PMail v 4.73...installed and want to update to 4.80. When I installed it on the new computer, it gave me an option to set up or create something and I believe I unchecked that because I was planning to copy over my MAIL folder to the new PMAIL folder on C. When I did that, it said it recognized a new version, but none of my folders or emails show up. I installed all of PMAIL but don't want to try again for fear of messing up my husband's pristine new computer.

I saw a question from last year about moving to a new computer, but they had the same version on both. Below is the About/Info that was requested there.

Thanks in advance!

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2018, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.14
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: mdod, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs
Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod
New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\wdd\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\wdd\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled

• WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  • WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLLCommandline: -roam -AActive -Z options: 32768PMR variable: (None)PML variable: (None)MAI variable: (None)NB variable: (None)Autofiltering folders: 1 (1 active, 0 inactive)Last new mail count: 51Message size soft limit: 0 bytesMessage size hard limit: 0 bytesAttachment size soft limit: 0 bytesAttachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

My hard drive crashed and I have recovered the data to a new drive but I am moving it to a new computer. I had PMail v 4.73...installed and want to update to 4.80. When I installed it on the new computer, it gave me an option to set up or create something and I believe I unchecked that because I was planning to copy over my MAIL folder to the new PMAIL folder on C. When I did that, it said it recognized a new version, but none of my folders or emails show up. I installed all of PMAIL but don't want to try again for fear of messing up my husband's pristine new computer. I saw a question from last year about moving to a new computer, but they had the same version on both. Below is the About/Info that was requested there. Thanks in advance! Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2018, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.14 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: mdod, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod TMP environment variable: C:\Users\wdd\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\wdd\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -roam -A Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Autofiltering folders: 1 (1 active, 0 inactive) Last new mail count: 51 Message size soft limit: 0 bytes Message size hard limit: 0 bytes Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

First let me say that v4.80 has some bugs. I suggest installing the v4.81 beta. It fixed the bugs and has been rock solid.

That said, if you still have a copy of the Pegasus Mail (the \PMAIL directory) from the previous installation...

1. Rename the \PMAIL directory on the new computer (to be deleted once this process is successful).
  2. Copy the C:\PMAIL directory from the old machine to a new C:\PMAIL directory on the new machine.
  3. Use a file explorer to navigate to C:\PMAIL\Programs then double-click on the winpm-32.exe. This will start Pegasus Mail. It should start and look exactly like it did on the old machine. Once it has fully started, shut it down.
  4. Run the v4.80 or v4.81 beta installer. It should see the copy you did in step 2 and offer to upgrade to the location C:\PMAIL\Programs. Let it do that. Do not proceed if it does not offer to update that path. Make note of what it shows and post back.

That should do it. The old v4.73 should now be v4.80 (or v4.81 beta).

First let me say that v4.80 has some bugs. I suggest installing the v4.81 beta. It fixed the bugs and has been rock solid. That said, if you still have a copy of the Pegasus Mail (the \PMAIL directory) from the previous installation... 1. Rename the \PMAIL directory on the new computer (to be deleted once this process is successful). 2. Copy the C:\PMAIL directory from the old machine to a new C:\PMAIL directory on the new machine. 3. Use a file explorer to navigate to C:\PMAIL\Programs then double-click on the winpm-32.exe. This will start Pegasus Mail. It should start and look exactly like it did on the old machine. Once it has fully started, shut it down. 4. Run the v4.80 or v4.81 beta installer. It should see the copy you did in step 2 and offer to upgrade to the location C:\PMAIL\Programs. Let it do that. Do not proceed if it does not offer to update that path. Make note of what it shows and post back. That should do it. The old v4.73 should now be v4.80 (or v4.81 beta).

Thanks Brian. My C drive is an SDD containing all my programs and my D drive contains my data. Since PMail stores the emails (data) in the PMAIL/MAIL folder, I tried to copy the PMAIL folder to the D drive so it is less likely to be forgotten in backup. When I ran the winpm-32.exe, the user window popped up but it didn't recognize the user I entered. I saved it to C drive instead and it did work. It's not that big a deal, but is there a way for me to install v4.81 beta to the C drive but the MAIL folder to the D drive?

Thanks Brian. My C drive is an SDD containing all my programs and my D drive contains my data. Since PMail stores the emails (data) in the PMAIL/MAIL folder, I tried to copy the PMAIL folder to the D drive so it is less likely to be forgotten in backup. When I ran the winpm-32.exe, the user window popped up but it didn't recognize the user I entered. I saved it to C drive instead and it did work. It's not that big a deal, but is there a way for me to install v4.81 beta to the C drive but the MAIL folder to the D drive?

Here is how Pegasus Mail works. On initial installation, specification of a path to the mailbox directory will place both the New and the Home mailbox directory in the same path. After that, you can move the Home mailbox directory to a different path within Pegasus Mail. If you did that, configuration files and new mail would be in C:\Pmail\Mail\mdod while folders would be wherever you specify on D:.

Two other options:

1. Have the entire Pegasus Mail (programs and mailbox) on D:.
  2. Have the Pegasus Mail program files on C: but the Home and New mailboxes combined in a single directory on D:

Let me know which option is appealing and I'll offer guidance on how to get there. If your choice is #2 above, let me know what your preferred path on D: would be so I can use it in my reply. I suggest D:\Pmail\Mail but it can be whatever you want (avoid long names and spaces).

Here is how Pegasus Mail works. On initial installation, specification of a path to the mailbox directory will place both the New and the Home mailbox directory in the same path. After that, you can move the Home mailbox directory to a different path within Pegasus Mail. If you did that, configuration files and new mail would be in C:\Pmail\Mail\mdod while folders would be wherever you specify on D:. Two other options: 1. Have the entire Pegasus Mail (programs and mailbox) on D:. 2. Have the Pegasus Mail program files on C: but the Home and New mailboxes combined in a single directory on D: Let me know which option is appealing and I'll offer guidance on how to get there. If your choice is #2 above, let me know what your preferred path on D: would be so I can use it in my reply. I suggest D:\Pmail\Mail but it can be whatever you want (avoid long names and spaces).

My preference would be 2, with your suggested path (D:\PMmail\Mail) to keep it the same as everything else. But if future updates will be easier if I leave everything on C, I can do that.

My preference would be 2, with your suggested path (D:\PMmail\Mail) to keep it the same as everything else. But if future updates will be easier if I leave everything on C, I can do that.

Moving the mailbox directory to D: will not affect future updates. It will be something to keep in mind and mention in future support request though.

Below are the steps to move the mailbox directory. I suggest reading it fully first to get an understanding of what is involved.
Always use copy and not move so as to preserve the source until finished and everything is working.
I will include confirmation checks where appropriate. Do not proceed if any of them don't confirm. Post back with discrepancy.

Premise:
Pegasus Mail looks in the file named PMAIL.CFG for the path to the parent mailbox directory. PMAIL.CFG is one of the few configuration files that should not be edited with a text edit. A utility named PCONFIG32.EXE is included with Pegasus Mail for the purpose of modifying this file.

Before you begin, make sure Pegasus Mail is closed. Make a backup of your entire PMAIL installation so you can restore it if you run into problems.

Do not run Pegasus Mail once you have started the process.

Steps:

1. Copy C:\PMAIL\MAIL to D:\PMAIL\MAIL
  2. Rename C:\PMAIL\MAIL to C:\PMAIL\MAIL_old.
  3. Use a file explorer to navigate it to C:\PMAIL\Programs. Locate PCONFIG32.EXE and double-click on it to run it.

The first screen is for the path to the programs files. Confirm that this is C:\PMAIL\Programs. If confirmed, click Continue

663967b010c1e

The next screen is where you specify the new path to the root mailbox directory. You should see the path C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ suffixed with either "~8" or "~N". Change the "C" to a "D". Confirm that the path is now D:\PMAIL\MAIL\ suffixed with either "~8" or "~N".
Ignore the Mail Gateways section.

6639696aedf8d

Click Save and Exit.

That's it! Pegasus Mail should use the new mailbox location the next time it starts. Once started, go to Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info button and confirm that the path displayed for the Home and New mailbox locations is D:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod.

Test Pegasus Mail. If all seems fine. Close it, move the C:\PMAIL\MAIL_old directory to a temporary location. Test again. If all is well, delete the \MAIL_old directory.

Post back with any questions. Good luck!

Moving the mailbox directory to D: will not affect future updates. It will be something to keep in mind and mention in future support request though. Below are the steps to move the mailbox directory. I suggest reading it fully first to get an understanding of what is involved. Always use copy and not move so as to preserve the source until finished and everything is working. I will include confirmation checks where appropriate. Do not proceed if any of them don't confirm. Post back with discrepancy. Premise: Pegasus Mail looks in the file named PMAIL.CFG for the path to the parent mailbox directory. PMAIL.CFG is one of the few configuration files that should not be edited with a text edit. A utility named PCONFIG32.EXE is included with Pegasus Mail for the purpose of modifying this file. Before you begin, make sure Pegasus Mail is closed. Make a backup of your entire PMAIL installation so you can restore it if you run into problems. Do not run Pegasus Mail once you have started the process. Steps: 1. Copy C:\PMAIL\MAIL to D:\PMAIL\MAIL 2. Rename C:\PMAIL\MAIL to C:\PMAIL\MAIL_old. 3. Use a file explorer to navigate it to C:\PMAIL\Programs. Locate PCONFIG32.EXE and double-click on it to run it. The first screen is for the path to the programs files. Confirm that this is C:\PMAIL\Programs. If confirmed, click Continue ![663967b010c1e](serve/attachment&path=663967b010c1e) The next screen is where you specify the new path to the root mailbox directory. You should see the path C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ suffixed with either "~8" or "~N". Change the "C" to a "D". Confirm that the path is now D:\PMAIL\MAIL\ suffixed with either "~8" or "~N". Ignore the Mail Gateways section. ![6639696aedf8d](serve/attachment&path=6639696aedf8d) Click Save and Exit. That's it! Pegasus Mail should use the new mailbox location the next time it starts. Once started, go to Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info button and confirm that the path displayed for the Home and New mailbox locations is D:\PMAIL\MAIL\mdod. Test Pegasus Mail. If all seems fine. Close it, move the C:\PMAIL\MAIL_old directory to a temporary location. Test again. If all is well, delete the \MAIL_old directory. Post back with any questions. Good luck!

That works and all the About/Info details are correct.
Thanks Brian!

That works and all the About/Info details are correct. Thanks Brian!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft